Author Topic: Best luggage for skateboards  (Read 11378 times)

sexualhelon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
Best luggage for skateboards
« on: February 11, 2016, 01:04:48 PM »
So, over the years I've had tons of ways I'd carry my board around when traveling. I had a 65 Liter backpack that I could take the trucks off then put them in the bottom with my clothes on top and board on the outside, carry on size luggage that I'd put my trucks in then strap my board onto it with a big rubber band, a duffel bag, or just one of those skateboarding backpacks. However, as logical as those backpacks are, I hate them so much because they look so dorky to me haha.

What do you guys use? And if you have a piece of luggage you'd recommend drop photo or link in this thread.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Best luggage for skateboards
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 01:56:38 PM »
I guess unless carry-on skate travel is a must for some reason, get a rolling suitcase thats long enough to put a board in?

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 02:41:53 PM »
I'm curious as well, because alot of the airlines are not letting you carry your board on anymore.

MonistatOne

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 04:59:11 PM »
I have this one and it works great.  Board (with trucks/wheels attached) slides right in the little bottom compartment without compromising any capacity from the upper compartment. 

My friend also has an incase backpack (a P-Rod collab or model if I remember correctly) with a similar setup as the Dakine, but you'd strap the board to the outside bottom instead of sliding it into a compartment- so the wheels on your board would double for wheels on the bag and you could drag it with a strap they provided attached to the bag.  Thought that was pretty neat. 

I don't think they make either of those bags anymore, though, so my post is of no assistance, really.  I guess you could always browse their websites to see if they have any current models with a similar concept/design.

coneklr

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 06:45:29 PM »
P-rod had 3 I think for incase ... this one that I had was by far the best I've seen for traveling imo

Held a complete/2 decks/spare parts/shoes/clothes/toiletries with no issues ... wasn't cheap but when I used to travel skating more was so worth it

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 07:50:07 PM »
P-rod had 3 I think for incase ... this one that I had was by far the best I've seen for traveling imo

Held a complete/2 decks/spare parts/shoes/clothes/toiletries with no issues ... wasn't cheap but when I used to travel skating more was so worth it

I also have a prod invase model and although it is great in many ways. Loads of compartments, straps and a lead so you can drag the fucker around like a regular dog, it still doesn't solve the problem that you have to detach the board and send it in over size luggage.  This is a fucker because a. They may well lose it, particularly those dumb cunts at Heathrow and b. You'll almost certainly have to pay more if you are flying with some budget airline that rape you at every possible chance.
Why airlines classify boards as weapon I don't know. Surely an umbrella could be just as deadly. Fuckers.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1481
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 08:13:00 PM »

I have the element board bag resembling this:

If I want to travel light, I just pack my trucks and wheels with bolts on into my luggage or carry on wrapped in plastic and I buy a board at my destination.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 08:13:54 PM »
I have this one and it works great.� Board (with trucks/wheels attached) slides right in the little bottom compartment without compromising any capacity from the upper compartment.�

My friend also has an incase backpack (a P-Rod collab or model if I remember correctly) with a similar setup as the Dakine, but you'd strap the board to the outside bottom instead of sliding it into a compartment- so the wheels on your board would double for wheels on the bag and you could drag it with a strap they provided attached to the bag.� Thought that was pretty neat.�

I don't think they make either of those bags anymore, though, so my post is of no assistance, really.� I guess you could always browse their websites to see if they have any current models with a similar concept/design.
i have this, its built really well size wise. i have had a seam pop, i contacted dakine and they dont make it anoymore. so if i send it for warranty i wont get it back. ill take it somewhere local. it could be 2" longer for the board pocket, now that i think of it.

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 08:59:10 AM »
The North Face bag that fits a skateboard.

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 03:30:05 PM »
i just use the thrasher duffle bag with the board straps and roll it on the ground.  I traveled around paris, cph, germany, sweden and us with it and had no problems.  to them it just looks like a rolling suitcase.  Only place i had a problem was in Frankfurt and they had me check the bag in and i just took my boards off and did the carryon

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 09:39:29 AM »
Damn, I'm surprised you guys have had so much trouble taking boards on planes - I've literally never had a problem in that aspect. I've only ever had bitchy gate check ladies tell me that the board + laptop bag + carry on suitcase was one too many and I'd have to check one. Since I travel super light and my laptop bag would always fit inside my suitcase I just put it in there, hop back in the line, and get a "fuck you" look from the gate check lady haha.

you guys never have trouble taking those duffel bags as carry on?

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 10:01:42 AM »
Why is it so important for you guys to take it as carry-on vs. just packing it with your checked luggage?

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 03:51:37 PM »
Well, for me, I don't ever have enough to warrant checking it. Even if I'm going somewhere for 3 weeks I take only 3 pairs of clothes. Plus, often times you could be on a budget airline that charges $50 or something crazy to check a bag. The other reason is I like to stroll straight through security with my mobile ticket and not worry about that line - or getting told I'm too late to check a bag. That line's often longer than the security line.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 06:46:11 AM »
If it's with a decent airline, I don't really care. My biggest gripes on my latest trip was getting charged almost $100 U.S. In check in baggage claims and then having to wander around the airport for an hour or so to find my board in some random place at 11:30 at night. I doubt I'll fly airasia again. The stewardesses are like chippy go go dancers who are fuck all help and act like asking for a drink is the biggest deal in the world. Surprised they don't want bar drinks too...Piece of shit company.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 12:45:35 AM »
I got this cleptomanicx duffel bag for 30 euro's and it's just fine. never had a problem. sure, it's not a suitcase, but you can go on a two week skatetrip with it.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 05:39:26 PM »
i use this

"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 05:40:22 PM »
Well, for me, I don't ever have enough to warrant checking it. Even if I'm going somewhere for 3 weeks I take only 3 pairs of clothes.

that's a great way to cultivate natural aromas
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2016, 04:57:35 PM »
I said this in another thread but I've usually gotten away with a sandwiching the board between my regular size backpack and my back (grip against my back).

No one gives a shit when they are separate at security and then you try to just get it on the plane unnoticed.

If I am checking a bag then it will just barely fit diagonal in my suitcase and I pack around it.

I have a rather nice memory of hauling ass through the connecting tunnel at O'Hare on my board one night...

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2016, 04:54:42 PM »
I was just in Colombia and met this girl who makes skate bags that super rad - and an amazing street artist also. She'll make you a customized bag for $50 but the shipping from Colombia will be another $50. Mine's similar to the one below but black. I also got this grizzly griptape duffel bag similar to the one you guys linked above for $30

https://www.facebook.com/pandoraskatebag/?fref=photo