Author Topic: 2016 Presidential election  (Read 57952 times)

Just sniff some glue

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -3
Re: 2016 Presidential election
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2016, 04:47:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I hope nobody is actually voting for Trump. Ironically or not.
[close]

Yeah, I'm Kinda scared of the Trump support on the slap right now. I never thought people actually considered him as a president.
[close]

I don't think for a second Trump will win, people are confusing his media popularity with his ability to get elected.  As Sleazy mentioned above, the "good" thing he has done is stripped the Republican party of all it's pretense and exposed them for the racist/classist pieces of shit we all knew they were.  At least he doesn't try to hide it. 

That being said, what is scariest about Trump is that his followers have built up quite a big sense of egotism, and I hardly think they will magically go away if Trump doesn't get the nomination.  This is what makes Trump's "success" much less hilarious.

The fact that he has gotten this far is pretty amazing though... it seemed like every week for the last 6 months people have predicting "oh man it's the end for Trump".

I Couldn't agree more. I find everything he says to be very disrespectful, Such as him making fun of a mentally challenge kid or his racist remarks, and yet he is still in the race. The fact that some candidates drop out of the race for less, and He is still in it is astonishing. For example, Howard Dean dropped out for just screaming "Yeah."

chuck d

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2016, 05:49:33 PM »
Glenn Beck, of all people, has put together a pretty good Trump series, exposing how goddamn insane it is that anyone is considering voting for The Donald. When Glenn Beck and Bill Maher can unite over their hatred for a potential candidate... well fuck.
https://soundcloud.com/glennbeck/sets/donald-trump-rise-to

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2016, 06:22:48 PM »
The minority vote will surge if Trump makes it that far. Similar to how Obama brought out black voters, there will be a record number of Hispanic voters voting against Trump. Dude will not get elected.

Trump is the best thing to happen to Democrats and the worst thing to happen to Republicans.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2016, 06:36:40 PM »
that's exactly the point i was making. i also find it amusing that people think that ways of thinking are wrong. trumps way of thinking isn't wrong and it clearly resonates with a lot of people. people have a right in a free country to be as shitty as they want to be and have as trashy and poor taste as they choose. what's refreshing about trump is that things are much more honest now. also, he's move a lot of dialogs in better directions in my opinion as he's not afraid to been seen as not being PC. i mean how fucking awesome is it to have a serious presidential candidate basically say fuck you to the pope. sure that offended a lot of people but why the fuck non-christians have to be respectful to the pope when he's trying to impose his influence over them. that said, this pope is pretty awesome and trumps a piece of shit, i just like the general idea of fuck the pope.

Expand Quote
trumps fantastic. he's hilarious, vibed the pope and now has changed the the tone of the republican party to be more honest and in doing so made them sure unelectable on the national scale. bernie is like a hippie, shave him and give him a bath and all you got left is a dream. he won't get shit done. he's way too inflexible and idealistic. hillary is our best bet at the moment. she's super watered down because she's been in politics so long and trying to do everything for everyone without being able to inspire like obama, however, her terms would be just like bill's all over again except with leassons learned and bills years were some of the best in the last 30 years.
[close]

Bill's years were some of the most punitive and harmful to minority communities in the last 40 years.  Geo Group and CCA have their hands deep in Hillary's pockets, regardless of what she says. You can't take money from those guys and say you're about CJ reform. She gave "some" of the money back from CCA, but Geo lobbyists are still up in that.

maybe you didn't understand my assertion because it was that Clinton years were better, meaning quantifiable better across more metrics. example he took us from the largest budget deficit to the largest budget surplus under his terms. if you disagree with that statement the you should explain who preformed better as it currently sounds like you don't understand what i'm asserting and what i'm not asserting. he could have done a horrible job and still been the best in the last 30 years if everyone else did even worst...

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2016, 08:09:59 PM »
that's exactly the point i was making. i also find it amusing that people think that ways of thinking are wrong. trumps way of thinking isn't wrong and it clearly resonates with a lot of people. people have a right in a free country to be as shitty as they want to be and have as trashy and poor taste as they choose. what's refreshing about trump is that things are much more honest now. also, he's move a lot of dialogs in better directions in my opinion as he's not afraid to been seen as not being PC. i mean how fucking awesome is it to have a serious presidential candidate basically say fuck you to the pope. sure that offended a lot of people but why the fuck non-christians have to be respectful to the pope when he's trying to impose his influence over them. that said, this pope is pretty awesome and trumps a piece of shit, i just like the general idea of fuck the pope.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
trumps fantastic. he's hilarious, vibed the pope and now has changed the the tone of the republican party to be more honest and in doing so made them sure unelectable on the national scale. bernie is like a hippie, shave him and give him a bath and all you got left is a dream. he won't get shit done. he's way too inflexible and idealistic. hillary is our best bet at the moment. she's super watered down because she's been in politics so long and trying to do everything for everyone without being able to inspire like obama, however, her terms would be just like bill's all over again except with leassons learned and bills years were some of the best in the last 30 years.
[close]

Bill's years were some of the most punitive and harmful to minority communities in the last 40 years.  Geo Group and CCA have their hands deep in Hillary's pockets, regardless of what she says. You can't take money from those guys and say you're about CJ reform. She gave "some" of the money back from CCA, but Geo lobbyists are still up in that.
[close]

maybe you didn't understand my assertion because it was that Clinton years were better, meaning quantifiable better across more metrics. example he took us from the largest budget deficit to the largest budget surplus under his terms. if you disagree with that statement the you should explain who preformed better as it currently sounds like you don't understand what i'm asserting and what i'm not asserting. he could have done a horrible job and still been the best in the last 30 years if everyone else did even worst...
Wow, I wasn't trying to argue who did what better, I was just stating a fact that it wasn't sunshine and roses for everyone under Billy. If you disagree or don't understand you should explain who performed better as it currently sounds like you don't understand what I'm asserting and what I'm not asserting, you smug fuck.
you never know about pre-cum 

GoodguyEh

• Rep: 0
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2016, 09:20:54 PM »
Bernie Sanders is like those ads telling me there's hot singles in my area ready to fuck. it sounds great, but is it really gonna happen?

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2016, 10:18:53 PM »
Got my vote for sure, dude is fucking hilarious. Way better than Hillary at least. Can't wait to see the show he's gonna put on if actually gets elected, shit's gonna get crazy

sure, all of them fucking suck so we might as well have a entertaining president.

Both of you realize that lives are on the line right ? lives of US military and civilians and military around the world . Voting for Trump might cause a new world war , war against mexico , huge changes in the law for abortion , drugs , privacy laws and so on

Im not sure how you can think all that is going to be fun

I'm not surprised that people still think voting actually matters. The bullshit that comes out of any presidential candidates mouth couldn't be further from the truth. Corruption and lies on such an enormous scale that will never end until society is pissed off enough. Which probably wont happen within our lifetime.

"It's all bullshit, folks. And it's bad for ya." -Carlin

This is one of the elections where it matters alot who you vote for and you have more choice then in a long time of who you can vote for .
Trump , Clinton , Sanders and Cruz all have very different policies that can change alot in the USA and the world

And quoting Carlin is abit weird , when people like Lenny Bruce paved the way for Carlin and voting / shift in law and policies actually came from voting . The reason Carlin could say what he wanted is cause of Lenny Bruce and people voting ... 

whomever gets elected makes very little difference because corruption has been institutionalized. the economic elites rule -- it doesn't matter which candidate gets to sit in the oval office. they either do their bidding or their career and life will be ruined. democracy is illusory.

backing the carlin posts.

I dont belive Sanders would be a puppet of the elite , I also doubt they would oust him from presidentsy or assassinate him . He would get his 4 years and if people like it 4 more years . Im not sure how much he could change everything  but he wouldnt be a new Bush

Trump would prob do what ever he wanted aswell .

Democracy is not a illusion , its alive and healthy in alot of countries . But  the USA is not a democracy its a republic

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2016, 10:48:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Got my vote for sure, dude is fucking hilarious. Way better than Hillary at least. Can't wait to see the show he's gonna put on if actually gets elected, shit's gonna get crazy
[close]

Expand Quote
sure, all of them fucking suck so we might as well have a entertaining president.
[close]

Both of you realize that lives are on the line right ? lives of US military and civilians and military around the world . Voting for Trump might cause a new world war , war against mexico , huge changes in the law for abortion , drugs , privacy laws and so on

Im not sure how you can think all that is going to be fun

Expand Quote
I'm not surprised that people still think voting actually matters. The bullshit that comes out of any presidential candidates mouth couldn't be further from the truth. Corruption and lies on such an enormous scale that will never end until society is pissed off enough. Which probably wont happen within our lifetime.

"It's all bullshit, folks. And it's bad for ya." -Carlin
[close]

This is one of the elections where it matters alot who you vote for and you have more choice then in a long time of who you can vote for .
Trump , Clinton , Sanders and Cruz all have very different policies that can change alot in the USA and the world

And quoting Carlin is abit weird , when people like Lenny Bruce paved the way for Carlin and voting / shift in law and policies actually came from voting . The reason Carlin could say what he wanted is cause of Lenny Bruce and people voting ... 

Expand Quote
whomever gets elected makes very little difference because corruption has been institutionalized. the economic elites rule -- it doesn't matter which candidate gets to sit in the oval office. they either do their bidding or their career and life will be ruined. democracy is illusory.

[close]

I dont belive Sanders would be a puppet of the elite , I also doubt they would oust him from presidentsy or assassinate him . He would get his 4 years and if people like it 4 more years . Im not sure how much he could change everything  but he wouldnt be a new Bush

Democracy is not a illusion , its alive and healthy in alot of countries . But  the USA is not a democracy its a republic

People have said this about every election since the beginning. Just insert different puppets instead of the ones listed. You're right that the USA is not a democracy. It's true we live in a country that calls itself a democracy...but it's not. It doesn't matter who sits in the chair, decisions are not made for the interest of the people. We should all be in control of our own lives.

I quoted Carlin because he nailed it: "They don't give a fuck about you".

KING TUT

• Rep: 15
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2016, 10:58:21 PM »
I like the sound of Bernie the most but Clinton will be the next President i feel like there isn't much choice involved, she is corrupt as fuck.

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2016, 11:24:12 PM »
#busenitz4prez

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2016, 11:42:01 PM »

Expand Quote

[close]

I dont belive Sanders would be a puppet of the elite , I also doubt they would oust him from presidentsy or assassinate him . He would get his 4 years and if people like it 4 more years . Im not sure how much he could change everything  but he wouldnt be a new Bush

Democracy is not a illusion , its alive and healthy in alot of countries . But  the USA is not a democracy its a republic
i don't believe he would either, and that's why the economic elites aren't backing him and he will not secure the democratic nomination, let alone win the presidency. who said anything about ousting him or assassination? such measures are no longer needed. a massive smear campaign would be much easier to get away with. while his image is being tarnished, the 99% of bribed politicians (both parties, including congress, the senate, etc) would block everything that didn't line up with the uber rich agenda. he would essentially be a political serpico. ineffective due to blockade then blamed for lack of accomplishment. probably also dig up something from his past and twist it around, or just straight up frame him with something. career and life ruined. they have many options here.

umm....really? i wasn't talking about what kind of government the us has. the rest of my words should have made that clear. i made a statement saying america currently lacks democracy. the public have little to no say.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 12:05:56 AM by Iceman »

TheFreshSC

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2016, 02:46:47 AM »
i moved to sweden last year and have no plans to return to the homeland for anything beyond vacations

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2016, 08:57:46 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Wow, I wasn't trying to argue who did what better, I was just stating a fact that it wasn't sunshine and roses for everyone under Billy. If you disagree or don't understand you should explain who performed better as it currently sounds like you don't understand what I'm asserting and what I'm not asserting, you smug fuck.

not being smug... just pointing out that your point is orthagonal to the point i was making. if we returned to clinton era politics we'd still be doing better than we have for most of the last 30 years based on past performance metrics. you can nit pick anything that anyone does, big picture is generally more practical and more illuminating. i'm pretty sure what i'm saying is fairly accurate

1) republicans are kind of fucked
2) bernie has some ideas that sound great and is clearly a very respectable idealist with good moral compass but he'd have a harder time getting independents and he'd have an even harder time passing any of his policies. anything he does get through is going to get watered down like obama care (which i still think is great and better than where we were before). i don't think it'd be that bad but i think he wouldn't get much done and might cause conservative backlash after only making it through a single term.
3) hillary would be a return to the type of executive approach under bill and those years were some of the better years for the country over the last 30. she's also extremely qualified compaired to trump (or any other republican front runners) and berny

honestly on the republican side i'd like to see john kasich come up more but really having trump sinking the ship is better than having a reasonable goldwater style republican in the running.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2016, 09:13:21 AM »
i'm votin' trump.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2016, 09:47:06 AM »
Sleazy, I agree with you, I liked Bill, but I was in school for his terms and wasn't fully aware/didn't give a shit at the time. I just hope, as you said, that she takes the mistakes of the Bill era and has a great presidency.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2016, 10:04:28 AM »
Sleazy, I agree with you, I liked Bill, but I was in school for his terms and wasn't fully aware/didn't give a shit at the time. I just hope, as you said, that she takes the mistakes of the Bill era and has a great presidency.

I think her biggest problem is also her biggest strength in a way. She very much focused on satisfying a majority and not so much an idealistic candidate. Because of that and the fact that like Obama her historical legacy will be important I think she'll play it smart and safe.

MYXGAMES2015

« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2016, 10:13:45 AM »
Bernie Sanders is like those ads telling me there's hot singles in my area ready to fuck. it sounds great, but is it really gonna happen?

No, he says he could pay for free college by taxing the shit out of the top 1% of 1% or something, which he probably could if he could rule with an iron fist. Republicans in government won't let that happen though, like most of his proposals.

At least he'll try though. Clinton might do a little, but she's too center to really shake it up, and she's almost certainly going to win with how the democratic party is actively trying to nominate her. We're just gonna be at the same place in 4 years.

Politics are so disappointing...

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2016, 10:19:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Also what's your opinion on the Bern? Do you feel the Burn? I cant seem to buy into, he seems like the american version of tsipras. �
[close]

As a college attending, legal US resident I feel that Bernie is a great choice, he's been funded by supporters and doesn't have to pay big corps back. What he needs is someone who can advise him the right way financially so he doesn't make the wrong budget cuts. If I could, I definitely would vote for him.

Let me find out yall out here openly supporting Trump's racist ass just cause he's "funny"

Bernie could be bullshitting or way in over his head but I'd rather vote for someone with (seemingly) good intentions than an outspoken bigot

Definitely feeling the sincerity, I chose to belive it's real, that Bernie is putting out. Besides he's got Killer Mike in the corner and that's pretty damn cool. If Trump becomes president I genuinely worry what will happen. It's like having to invite that one racist friend to the party. You know if he comes to the party, somethings gonna get said to the wrong person and then next thing you know the party gets a drive by.

My 82 year old racist grandfather likes trump... And Ben Carson for some reason. In November I'll be 6 months out from graduating, my wife's parents own property in the Phillipines, I'd be out come June. I'll run for mayor of the tiny town they're from, maybe chief of police. Open a skate shop in Cebu City and coast through life. I've planned this. The idea of Trump or Cruz winning terrifies me.

Can I come live in your utopia?

Also what if Trump is like the Pharma Bro? Being so outrageous to expose what's wrong with the political system. Showing just how much he can get away with etc.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 10:26:40 AM by posguy »

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2016, 11:33:29 AM »

no wonder this guy is popular with young people.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2016, 12:12:28 PM »
At least he'll try though. Clinton might do a little, but she's too center to really shake it up, and she's almost certainly going to win with how the democratic party is actively trying to nominate her. We're just gonna be at the same place in 4 years.

what exactly where you hoping for? last 8 seem pretty good to me.

not to mention the social change that has happened with gay rights, a president who's out spoken and tried to change gun laws, first time we've had major reform of medical system in a really long time, we didn't go to war in lybia or syria or get into any conflicts with north korea (which would have happened under republican leadership), we are having talks with iran and have a treaty for the first time...

i wish i was even close to this good at any job i've ever had.

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2016, 12:39:58 PM »

no wonder this guy is popular with young people.

LOL no fuckin way...

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2016, 12:51:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No, he says he could pay for free college by taxing the shit out of the top 1% of 1% or something, which he probably could if he could rule with an iron fist. Republicans in government won't let that happen though, like most of his proposals.

Politics are so disappointing...

It's not just republicans who won't let that happen. Every time the carried interest tax loophole comes up, it might get through the house but gets buried in the senate. Even when dems had the house and senate! Schumer won't let his most important constituents down. It's not even about taxing the shit out of them,  we can't even tax them at the same rate as you or I.

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -160
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2016, 01:45:34 PM »
fuck this demon-woman

seriously, how could a human-being be so shameless?

TheFifthColumn

• Rep: -113
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2016, 01:52:19 PM »
^Hedge Funds really aren't tax efficient investment vehicles. The carried interest provision applies if and only if the underlying investments are long term capital gains. Many hedge funds hold assets less than a year, in which case profits on the trades are taxed at short term capital gains rates of around 40%. Additionally, the carried interest only applies to the performance fees the GP generates, not to the management fees or administration fees which are taxed at ordinary income. Carried interest is more of an issue for venture capital and private equity. Hedge funds use other strategies to avoid taxes (master-feeder structures, blocker corporations, offshore reinsurance companies, ect).

One of my friends who I grew up skating with is now the CFO of a hedge fund. He told me that their fund is down 2% over the year, yet their fund got hit with a massive $113 million tax burden due to the way schedule K-1s are taxed. He said there was very poor tax planning on their part. The hedge fund manager doesn't even have $113 million (allegedly) and they don't know what they are going to do...

I work for a firm that helps raise capital for hedge funds. From what I understand, one of the issues is that taxation varies widely due to the particular strategy that the fund employs. Consultants, which make recommendations to institutional investors, are now demanding live track records from incubator funds which show the after tax return, not back-tested results which fail to take into account taxation. This is because tax burdens are becoming a bigger issue.

I'm not arguing for regressive taxation, but I don't think that the insinuation that hedge fund managers pay a smaller percent of their income in tax than the middle class is true at all. Especially once state taxes are taken into account.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2016, 04:20:38 PM »
fuck this demon-woman

seriously, how could a human-being be so shameless?
you're giving her too much credit.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2016, 07:37:17 AM »

can't tell if your trolling or if you really believe that mccain would have got the affordable care act passed.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1473
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2016, 08:04:51 AM »
My aunt left my mom a bunch of land in the Philippines and I, too, am considering getting out of dodge to go manage the land holding down there. I'm pretty sure I could coast through life without ever working again if I did.
If you get any kind of pension or compensation from the (think you were navy), I'd be all over it.[/quote]
I actually do get money from the VA. This is factoring into my decision process.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2016, 08:30:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

can't tell if your trolling or if you really believe that mccain would have got the affordable care act passed.
maybe you're trolling? i'm speaking about the big picture, where it seems like you're focused on a single piece of the puzzle.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2016, 09:06:36 AM »
Trump is the most moderate Republican foreign policy wise, no?

http://ontheissues.org/2016/Donald_Trump_Foreign_Policy.htm
http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/10/27/donald-trump-is-right-about-foreign-policy/

Anybody who want to go toe to toe with Russia is insane and a million times more dangerous than Trump.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 09:15:02 AM by chockfullofthat »