Author Topic: 2016 Presidential election  (Read 57951 times)

TheFifthColumn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -113
Re: 2016 Presidential election
« Reply #570 on: November 12, 2016, 01:58:30 PM »
Yeah, the average American's views on trade are probably closer to Trump's than to an economist.

Related:
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-11-03/no-one-cares-what-economists-say-about-trump

The thing about tariffs is that the very poor would probably be hurt the hardest since they tend to buy more low cost foreign goods than the wealthy (Khandelwal, Amit K., & Fajgelbaum, Pablo D., (2014) Measuring The Unequal Gains From Trade). 

I think it's terrible economic policy personally, and I doubt it will be enacted.  Who's Trump gonna put on his economic team?  If he wants protectionist economists, he's gonna have to import them from overseas since there are so few of them here.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
Re: 2016 Presidential election
« Reply #571 on: November 12, 2016, 05:32:30 PM »
I also doubt that Trump really intends to enact any of the protectionist measures he promised, but his election shows just how deep the public skepticism regarding free trade runs. I hope this serves as a wake up call to politicians everywhere that it is actually necessary to have some plan to redistribute the net gains from trade instead of just focusing on aggregate wealth. The people in Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania don't give a shit about pareto optimal factor allocation - they just want jobs.

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari