Author Topic: Helsinki Finnland  (Read 2578 times)

truthislie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 58
Helsinki Finnland
« on: March 02, 2016, 09:16:21 AM »
So I am going to Finnland (jyväskylä) for 10 days in early may. I managed to stay two days longer and have a weekend in Helsinki afterwards. I have some questions: Does anyone have a spotmap? Should I even bring a board? What do I have to see/do in Helsinki besides skating?

Thank you

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
Re: Helsinki Finnland
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 09:38:17 AM »
isn't arto from there?

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 10:21:33 AM »
Yes, he's their princess.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

goathead

• Rep: -5
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 08:16:32 AM »
yes you should take your board. Lots of spots in there and most of them are really close to each other so transportation isn't a problem

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 12:09:39 PM »
Go to the laplands, have a sauna, binge drink, and don't talk to strangers.

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 08:04:33 PM »
Kingpin mag in 2005 taught me that it smells like piss

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 06:57:26 AM »
Reini, you should definetely take your board.. looked like a great city to skate, even just cruising. sadly i was there in winter...

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 12:58:36 PM »
Theres alot of skatespots right when you step of the bus from the airport

Long nice ledges right next to the post office , and on the town squares theres some small street gaps and ledges  .

Theres also a great skatepark about 20-30 mins walk away from the bus stop .

Just go out drinking and partying at night , plenty of people out in the war zone of Helsinki on Fridays and Saturdays

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 02:02:05 PM »
A lot of spots, in the center and within public transportation. It's easy to get around. A lot of parks too. You'll find plenty of spots by just skating around in the center. I'd say go to one of the skateshops in the center (Lamina, Ponkes, My Favorite Things) and ask them to show you spots on the map.

As for parks, here's a video for reference, 3 nice little parks with addresses shown. They're all easy to get to.
http://kingpinmag.com/features/triple-header-features/triple-header-helsinki-simo-makela-sami-miettinen-jesse-turunen.html#4MgGBFhRQuF0q8d1.97

There's many more too, just ask around, you'll see a lot of skaters. It's easy to skate here, if the weather is good. For more video reference, just check any Eniz Fazliov part.

truthislie

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 01:43:58 AM »
A lot of spots, in the center and within public transportation. It's easy to get around. A lot of parks too. You'll find plenty of spots by just skating around in the center. I'd say go to one of the skateshops in the center (Lamina, Ponkes, My Favorite Things) and ask them to show you spots on the map.

As for parks, here's a video for reference, 3 nice little parks with addresses shown. They're all easy to get to.
http://kingpinmag.com/features/triple-header-features/triple-header-helsinki-simo-makela-sami-miettinen-jesse-turunen.html#4MgGBFhRQuF0q8d1.97

There's many more too, just ask around, you'll see a lot of skaters. It's easy to skate here, if the weather is good. For more video reference, just check any Eniz Fazliov part.

Thank you, I ll bring my board, case closed haha. I just wasnt sure if it justified dragging it around for 10 days for 2 days of skating, but I am convinced now.

@Stefan Thanks, I was going to ask you about this anyway, since you have been up there for some time.

L.S

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 09:02:23 AM »
Jyväskylä is a pretty good city for skating as well. There's a nice plaza right next to the city centre and plenty of street spots as well. And a good skate shop called Beyond as well.
LS stands for little sidekick, lil shit lil slug/slime etc etc

truthislie

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2016, 05:33:07 AM »
Jyv�skyl� is a pretty good city for skating as well. There's a nice plaza right next to the city centre and plenty of street spots as well. And a good skate shop called Beyond as well.

Thank you, in Jyväskylä I won´t really have time to skate, but I will check out this Beyond shop for sure. Looks dope.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 12:57:38 AM »
Also, you may want to check out this free app: http://www.spotdigger.com/
I think all "famous" spots in Helsinki could be found there easily, with coordinates.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2016, 05:18:39 PM »
Helsinki es amor.

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2016, 10:51:18 PM »
Hey Truthlislie,

Did you come to Finland? The weather at least was amazing this May.

truthislie

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2016, 01:51:54 PM »
Hey Truthlislie,

Did you come to Finland? The weather at least was amazing this May.

Yeah I was there and really enjoyed it. Weather was a lot better than expected, but I didnt really skate because I was busy as fuck with uni stuff there. When I got back to Helsinki I just wandered the streets and went to this island just before it. Funny that I read your answer today, because my girlfriend is off to Lapland tomorrow :). She is going on a summer holiday up there even tough the weather should be worse then it is back home in Austria at the moment.