Author Topic: why are indoor american parks so slippy?  (Read 4248 times)

Jerkstore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -154
why are indoor american parks so slippy?
« on: March 04, 2016, 07:38:51 AM »
Found this in Nashville

There was a really good indoor park but everything felt so slippy.
http://www.rocketown.com/sixth-avenue-skatepark-nashville

The guy who worked there said it was normal for American parks to feel like that.
Said you needed to buy certain wheels to stick.

Dunno maybe its a thing or just weird wood,

JAesop

Re: why are indoor american parks so slippy?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 08:02:00 AM »
I have slammed so hard at that park and I don't even go there anymore because that mini ramp will kill you without warning. So slick. Like slide out in the flat for no reason. The explanation they gave you is BS, I think the real reason is they are just too lazy too wipe it down like they are supposed to and it's really dusty in there. It's always been that way.

MYXGAMES2015

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 08:30:38 AM »
They're always super dusty and don't get mopped enough. I've been at this indoor park near my hometown and heard the employees talking about how they haven't mopped it in a week. Place is so slick you can barely turn. I have been to one indoor park that wasn't extremely slick though, so its not every one in the US.

Are indoor parks in Europe better though? Can't imagine they'd be much less slick or the employees would be much less lazy

Coenobita

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 08:34:22 AM »
Evidently it's the use of masonite which eventually deteriorates leaving wood pulp particles on the ground. The pulp sticks to your wheels causing you to slip and slide everywhere.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 08:43:11 AM »
The Iron Sheik may be right....Americans are lazy.....

JAesop

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 08:48:39 AM »
Evidently it's the use of masonite which eventually deteriorates leaving wood pulp particles on the ground. The pulp sticks to your wheels causing you to slip and slide everywhere.

I would rather skate Masonite than dusty skatelite, it's more grippy.

Coenobita

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 08:59:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I would rather skate Masonite than dusty skatelite, it's more grippy.

You could save yourself a bunch of money if you wanted to DIY some skate objects. Masonite is really cheap! I've been thinking about making a box with it.  :)

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 12:07:29 PM »
3 flips on slickness is a treat, there is no effort required. Sometimes it works the opposite where you land tricks you normally wouldn't cause you can slide it out

NO more complaining, atleast you have an indoor skatepark.. I skate a manual pad in a dust chamber beneath a hotel

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 01:02:58 PM »
I hate that park too for the same reason.  It's too slick.  It's mostly the dust.  They never mop it.  Heck I don't think they even sweep.  If it's raining out, I just go skate the mini in the back of Franklin Skate Shop.  It's only $5 to go there. 
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 312
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 08:05:13 PM »
3 flips on slickness is a treat, there is no effort required. Sometimes it works the opposite where you land tricks you normally wouldn't cause you can slide it out

NO more complaining, atleast you have an indoor skatepark.. I skate a manual pad in a dust chamber beneath a hotel

just place your self there and never come back out.. you'd do us all a favor
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 12:37:23 AM »
that's why i stopped going to outdoor skateparks in my town, too dusty, always ended up getting worked, and too much waiting for faggots to do their runs so i can fail at a trick, fucking one time i was just about to pop into my grind and out of no where some random dude started going and everyone was like "fuckin watch out bro!" like i give a shit if some fuck boi is about to crook the ledge, fuck'em, skateparks are only fun if theres only five people there, and no kids that see you skate something, then migrate over there and skate it without even so much as looking in your direction, FUCK i'm fucking pissed now just talking about it.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 12:09:49 PM »
Nearly every Euro park I've seen uses a white birch top layer.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 823
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 10:22:08 AM »
Nearly every Euro park I've seen uses a white birch top layer.
Birch is so good, there was a small park not far from me that had a top layer of it. Miss that place

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 02:55:02 PM »
How often should they be mopped? I have an indoor park near me that's kinda cool except it's way to slippery.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 05:51:07 PM »
Skatelite can be mopped as much as you want, it won't absorb the water. Masonite might degrade if you allow it to take on water. You might want to wipe dry immediately.

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2016, 06:29:39 PM »
that's why i stopped going to outdoor skateparks in my town, too dusty, always ended up getting worked, and too much waiting for faggots to do their runs so i can fail at a trick, fucking one time i was just about to pop into my grind and out of no where some random dude started going and everyone was like "fuckin watch out bro!" like i give a shit if some fuck boi is about to crook the ledge, fuck'em, skateparks are only fun if theres only five people there, and no kids that see you skate something, then migrate over there and skate it without even so much as looking in your direction, FUCK i'm fucking pissed now just talking about it.

Did you mean to say indoor? My local park is outdoor and skatelite and it's always perfect. The township stays on top of repairs too. But when it rains don't even think about trying to skate or you will slip badly. Two out of three indoor parks near me mop their shit properly, while one is unskateable and mainly filled with scooters and bikes.

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 08:13:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Did you mean to say indoor? My local park is outdoor and skatelite and it's always perfect. The township stays on top of repairs too. But when it rains don't even think about trying to skate or you will slip badly. Two out of three indoor parks near me mop their shit properly, while one is unskateable and mainly filled with scooters and bikes.
no, i just went off on a tangent there, but yeah living in the shitty manteca california, they couldn't give less of a fuck about having a indoor park, or properly paved roads, the only shit they do is bitch about crime rates and developing houses. but yeah heres a pic of the park i'm talking about, it's literally just a circle, hold on they couldn't even be fucked to have a picture of the full park. but heres a video
i found though

Main

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 08:37:44 PM »
So you're saying the park in that video is slippery? I've never been to an outdoor park that was slippery, especially concrete. Sometimes if bikers hit the dirt trail and then ride all over our ramps the dirt can make things a tiny bit slippery. Other than that, outdoor doesn't collect dust like indoor parks, in my experience anyway...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2016, 10:38:21 PM »
Why park formula was invented....hard and sticky,..

fangen

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2016, 02:51:27 AM »
Park formulas are still deadly if it's dusty

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2016, 08:14:36 AM »
Because we don't have universal healthcare and our presidential campaigns are too long. Also because we're all cowboys.

Jerkstore

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -154
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2016, 08:35:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
no, i just went off on a tangent there, but yeah living in the shitty manteca california, they couldn't give less of a fuck about having a indoor park, or properly paved roads, the only shit they do is bitch about crime rates and developing houses. but yeah heres a pic of the park i'm talking about, it's literally just a circle, hold on they couldn't even be fucked to have a picture of the full park. but heres a video
i found though

you guys have no idea what skateboarding is like outside of the US - that park is literally a goldmine

Main

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2016, 08:53:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
i found though

[close]

you guys have no idea what skateboarding is like outside of the US - that park is literally a goldmine

I thought that park looked sick too. There's plenty of shitty skateparks here in the USA though.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3328
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2016, 09:18:42 AM »