Author Topic: skate companies run by people of color  (Read 8172 times)

sharkbarf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Re: skate companies run by people of color
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2016, 02:54:08 PM »
No time for slipping

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2016, 05:47:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Where are you going with this, OP? Human beings run companies, their skin color is irrelevant.
[close]
im gonna take a wild guess and say you're a white male. way to trivialize the importance of minorties being small business owners.
[close]

Yes, skin color is trivial. We're all human beings. What someone should be judged by is their overall character. ^midevilco also nailed it right on the head.
[close]
the psychological effects of being marginalized because of your skin color are FAR from trivial.

No one is being marginalized here. Any person who owns or operates a skateboard company is as equal as the next one. One may be better or worse at it, a nice guy, an asshole, etc. Focusing on skin color is pointless.

@thewilleasley

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2016, 09:42:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Where are you going with this, OP? Human beings run companies, their skin color is irrelevant.
[close]
im gonna take a wild guess and say you're a white male. way to trivialize the importance of minorties being small business owners.
[close]

Yes, skin color is trivial. We're all human beings. What someone should be judged by is their overall character. ^midevilco also nailed it right on the head.
[close]
the psychological effects of being marginalized because of your skin color are FAR from trivial.
[close]

No one is being marginalized here. Any person who owns or operates a skateboard company is as equal as the next one. One may be better or worse at it, a nice guy, an asshole, etc. Focusing on skin color is pointless.

As a minority it feels good to see other minorities running their own businesses/brands especially in amerikkka so Im sure OP just wanted to see how many of them are involved in skateboarding. Obviously the VAST MAJORITY of the people who actually have substantial ownership in the skate industry are white so i dont see how asking about the other 5% is an issue.

Skateboarding aside, this is a good question to ask period. How many companies who's services/products you use on a regular basis are minority owned? I feel like if you're a minority yourself and NONE of your spending money goes to businesses ran by your own people then you gotta work on that...

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2016, 09:59:04 AM »
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Main

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2016, 10:15:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

As a minority it feels good to see other minorities running their own businesses/brands especially in amerikkka so Im sure OP just wanted to see how many of them are involved in skateboarding. Obviously the VAST MAJORITY of the people who actually have substantial ownership in the skate industry are white so i dont see how asking about the other 5% is an issue.

Skateboarding aside, this is a good question to ask period. How many companies who's services/products you use on a regular basis are minority owned? I feel like if you're a minority yourself and NONE of your spending money goes to businesses ran by your own people then you gotta work on that...

So it's bad to support businesses that are owned/operated by white people? If you are conscientious about what company you choose to support it should be based on the quality of their products, the way they handle their business and treat their employees, etc...not by their race.

@thewilleasley

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2016, 10:39:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

So it's bad to support businesses that are owned/operated by white people? If you are conscientious about what company you choose to support it should be based on the quality of their products, the way they handle their business and treat their employees, etc...not by their race.

Maaaan, get out of here with your overly defensive ass. I never said it was wrong to support white owned companies. I'm just saying if you're a minority then you should make an effort to support your own kind when you can, especially in America. I buy from white owned companies all the time, but I still make it a point for myself to support African-American owned brands whenever possible. There's nothing wrong with a thread asking about minority owned companies and if anything its a helpful reference. If you can't understand that then this probably isn't the thread for you

Main

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2016, 11:25:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Maaaan, get out of here with your overly defensive ass. I never said it was wrong to support white owned companies. I'm just saying if you're a minority then you should make an effort to support your own kind when you can, especially in America. I buy from white owned companies all the time, but I still make it a point for myself to support African-American owned brands whenever possible. There's nothing wrong with a thread asking about minority owned companies and if anything its a helpful reference. If you can't understand that then this probably isn't the thread for you

I'm not being overly defensive, I'm trying to help people understand that race is an illusion that has been deeply rooted in our brain since birth. All thoughts and actions based on race are a complete waste of time and energy. The garbage you see all over mass media which perpetuates racial division is nothing more than an attempt to keep us fighting each other.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2016, 11:41:54 AM »
The word minority should never be used. If you want to be a "majority" you already know where to go, so stop saying that word

WeirdBeach

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2016, 01:19:28 PM »
The word minority should never be used. If you want to be a "majority" you already know where to go, so stop saying that word
should I go to Mexico? Should Will Easley go to Africa? Is that the insinuation here?

Tracer

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2016, 02:06:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
should I go to Mexico? Should Will Easley go to Africa? Is that the insinuation here?
Not at all, just stop using the race card at every available moment

@thewilleasley

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2016, 02:15:25 PM »
Pulling the race card for what? You act like its wrong for minorities to want to support each other.

Tracer

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2016, 02:23:20 PM »
Pulling the race card for what? You act like its wrong for minorities to want to support each other.
There you go again, playing the victim

Leyzee Emcea

• Rep: -8
  • Achilles Tendonion Rings Jr
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2016, 03:14:38 PM »
Every single fucking company is run by people of color. smh

breathnaigh

• Rep: 5
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2016, 07:28:40 PM »
Man racists love to argue semantics

Andrew

• Rep: 100
  • lightcatcher
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2016, 07:39:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm not being overly defensive, I'm trying to help people understand that race is an illusion that has been deeply rooted in our brain since birth. All thoughts and actions based on race are a complete waste of time and energy. The garbage you see all over mass media which perpetuates racial division is nothing more than an attempt to keep us fighting each other.

how are you this dense? everybody knows race is a social construction but it has very real consequences for the types of opportunities, privileges, and prejudices that shape people's lived experiences.

The only thing you nerds grind down is yer keyboard keys.

Main

« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2016, 08:09:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

how are you this dense? everybody knows race is a social construction but it has very real consequences for the types of opportunities, privileges, and prejudices that shape people's lived experiences.

As long as you have an education, possess respect and courtesy, bathe regularly, and dress accordingly you'll succeed.