Author Topic: Trend Killer Thread.  (Read 2631 times)

yapple dapple

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 155
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Trend Killer Thread.
« on: March 15, 2016, 12:46:06 AM »
Here's a place to talk shit about what erks you in modern skateboarding and what we should do to put a stop to it. I got a few on my list. I'll start with rubber toe caps. Just stop already! Shit is ugly. Next is those tiny weenie beanies and highwaters. Yuk! On tricks I can't stand to see slappy to no-comply out. Feces on a stick. And so on...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 10:06:19 PM by yapple dapple »

GeorgeHanson

Re: Trend Killer Thread.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 05:30:38 AM »

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 10:48:09 AM »

ohhyess

• Rep: -43
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 05:39:49 PM »
overalls are pretty lame. saw a kid with black and white checkered ones at the park yesterday and was really confused.

Eric ricks

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 05:56:20 PM »
I agree with the highwaters/toe caps/ rolled up beenies.

I wish to go back in time where you could spot a skater from 50 yards away.

Every trick looks better in baggy pants other than a few exceptions. Ie marc johnson, kenny anderson and andrew reynolds

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 06:36:07 PM »

Every trick looks better in baggy pants other than a few exceptions. Ie marc johnson, kenny anderson and andrew reynolds

Reynolds has even baggied up his kit lately.  Good to see it coming back.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 06:57:26 PM »
i hate teenagers
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Eric ricks

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 07:13:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Reynolds has even baggied up his kit lately.  Good to see it coming back.

Hes got a massive following, this might steer things back in the right direction

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 07:21:19 PM »

Seems like a perfectly reasonable fit to me.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 04:46:57 AM by brycickle »

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 07:24:27 PM »

Go on..., i've not seen a rolled up beanie before, unless you mean a wharfer/longshoreman style beanie

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 07:27:07 PM »
I have a set of those headphones. They're great.

Eric ricks

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 07:31:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Go on..., i've not seen a rolled up beanie before, unless you mean a wharfer/longshoreman style beanie

Whatever they are. See bobby dekeyzer, diego nejara etc

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 07:54:35 PM »
This whole fashionista trend in skateboarding is out of hand and out of touch with what skateboarding is about...non conformity. Nearly every video I see and most people at the parks are all dressing the same. Be yourself, not someone else.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 08:02:15 PM by Main »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 07:59:16 PM »
Be yourself, not someone else.

I'm pretty sure that that is what Dylan WAS doing :-\

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

artsy

• Rep: 14
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 06:57:32 PM »
are crockett pants a trend yet or am i too #aheadofthecurve

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 07:29:14 PM »
This whole fashionista trend in skateboarding is out of hand and out of touch with what skateboarding is about...non conformity. Nearly every video I see and most people at the parks are all dressing the same. Be yourself, not someone else.

you think this whole "fashion thing" is something new in skateboarding?  non-comformity my ass, skateboarding has been this way since it's inception.  trends come and go.

Main

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 07:38:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you think this whole "fashion thing" is something new in skateboarding?  non-comformity my ass, skateboarding has been this way since it's inception.  trends come and go.

Fashion isn't new, but nothing justifies following trends. Skateboarding at its core is punk rock and non-conformity.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 07:51:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Fashion isn't new, but nothing justifies following trends. Skateboarding at its core is punk rock and non-conformity.

I mean the whole "fashion trend following" thing isn't new.  late 80's everybody dressed like Hensley, then World, then Mike Carroll, then Muska (the WORST trend in my opinion)/Penny, etc... It just goes around and around.  The cons/highwater/whatever thing is no different than the cargo pants/billed beanie thing. 

I agree it can be annoying but we all did it at some point or another, especially in the early/mid stages of our skateboarderdom. 

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 08:10:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

May be true but we always followed fashion trends ALWAYS (punk does this too).
Tell me you never rocked oversized pants (or undersized wheels), or a chain wallet, or dad jeans and a crisp white shirt

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Main

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2016, 08:23:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

you think this whole "fashion thing" is something new in skateboarding?� non-comformity my ass, skateboarding has been this way since it's inception.� trends come and go.
[close]

[close]

I mean the whole "fashion trend following" thing isn't new.� late 80's everybody dressed like Hensley, then World, then Mike Carroll, then Muska (the WORST trend in my opinion)/Penny, etc... It just goes around and around.� The cons/highwater/whatever thing is no different than the cargo pants/billed beanie thing.�

I agree it can be annoying but we all did it at some point or another, especially in the early/mid stages of our skateboarderdom.�

I agree. I remember being a kid I attempted to dress like some of my favorite pros but I just remember looking at myself in the mirror thinking, "I look nothing like that person and I never will". Since that moment I've always lived by function over fashion and dress pretty normcore without much thought.

I don't think there's anything wrong with fashion and caring about how you look. Gonz dresses like a goofball yet still stylish. Duane Peters is another that comes to mind...pros that ooze originality. It's just that in my mind, I've put myself in the shoes of a "fashion-forward" person and I feel I would want to be unique, not look like the rest. That's just the way I see it anyway...

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2016, 08:27:24 PM »
Wear whatever you want

The Lap Dancer

• Rep: -49
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2016, 09:23:53 AM »
Colpo Grosso
Thank god I clicked this thread. I just wish I could get the names of all of those songs.

I think the mid 2000's was the best for individuality, there wasn't a trend that dictated the industry, everyone naturally was or tried to be different, dressed different, had their own style and unique selection of tricks. If you went to contest, there wasn't 2 the same looking dudes. You couldn't confuse someone with somebody else. You had dudes wearing baggy pants, dudes with regular pants, dudes with chinos and you had handful of dudes in skinny/slim pants. Different tee fits, designs, hat styles, skateboarding footwear was dominated by cupsoles, was functional and had huge variety of designs and colorways. I fucking hate that we don't have leather skate shoes anymore, back then they were dominating the market. They lasted for years and I could walk in them in rainy or snowy weather. Everyone got along together for the big part and there wasn't a style that was "superior" or ruled over others in sense of relevance. Everyone appreciated each other and most importantly didn't look like kooks. It was about skateboarding and not about how you look.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 09:40:25 AM by The Lap Dancer »
the lap dancer ...more like the slap cancer.