Author Topic: Podcasts  (Read 46379 times)

Andmoreagain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 51
Podcasts
« on: March 18, 2016, 07:22:33 AM »
Sorry if there's already a thread on this topic.. searched but couldn't find anything.

What podcasts do you guys listen to?

I've normally listened to stuff like This American Life, Serial, Radiolab, Hardcore History... some of the Radiotopia stuff etc.

Lately I've been burned out on the affected podcast host style that's become so prominent (ie. radiolab, serial, npr in general) so i'm lookin for some new pod on history and philo n stuff like that

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
Re: Podcasts
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 07:42:58 AM »
Joe Rogan Experience
Chameleon Breeder
Radiolab
Hardcore History
Submission Radio
Monday Morning Analyst
The New York City Crime Report
Meat Eater
Gritty Bowmen
The Monday Morning podcast

think thats it ...

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 07:55:00 AM »
I usually listen to comedy podcasts. My personal is favourite is "You Made It Weird" with Pete Holmes, it's great for comedy nerds who want a 2-3 hour conversation between comics that vary between hilarious and oddly deep.
Marc Maron with "WTF" is another well-known and entertaining podcast, episodes where Marc acts like a curmudgeonly old fuck are always fun.
Someone mentioned it in another thread, but Bill Burr has a solo podcast that's pretty great.

I need to start expanding my podcast horizons though, so I'll definitely check out some stuff mentioned in here.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 08:35:19 AM »
If you want a new history pod, check out "history on fire". It's in the same vein as Dan carlin, but the host is an actual working historian. It's pretty new too, so there aren't too many episodes.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2592
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 08:40:10 AM »
I think you might like In Our Time on BBC 4. The host is a bit annoying, but the guests are uni profs who really know what they're talking about, and there's a wide variety of topics.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qykl
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 09:52:43 AM »
Not a podcast but you can download Howard Stern episodes all on Pirate Bay or any other torrent site a like. I have been listening to him for decades now. Still love his show!
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 10:18:59 AM »
I put on the Alec Baldwin one and nap....

brent

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 04:47:12 PM »
Ari Shaffir's skeptic tank
The Joe Rogan Experience
How Did this Get Made
We hate movies
Criminal
The Champs r.i.p.
Hound tall with Moshe Kasher
my favorite podcast is Occasionally Awesome, they had Ed Templeton on too

oh yeah what happened to You Made It Weird? its just not funny anymore and I'm sick of hearing about therapist DGP and ram dass and mushrooms
This armor plating is going to get a little more diesel.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 05:09:41 PM »
I only do "The Starters" its a Friday only NBA podcast with 2 white Canadians, an Aussie, and a yank. It's not super good anymore because they're under strict rules now, but it's still worth the hour and 20 minutes for me

Just sniff some glue

• Rep: -3
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 05:22:51 PM »
Mysterious Universe (personal Favorite)
99% invisible
Memory Palace
Planet Money
Radio Lab
American Life

vancanman

• Rep: 9
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, 02:20:46 AM »
Doug Stanhope shotclog
Radio lab
Monday morning podcast
Rich roll
Startalk
Hardcore history
Foundmyfitness
Muaythaiguys
Henry&heidi

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2016, 07:00:19 AM »
The Joe Rogan Experience
Ari Shaffir's skeptic tank
Bill Burrs Monday Morning Podcast

Usually those 3 keep me covered to/from work all week. Joey Diaz had the guy from that cop documentary The Seven-Five for a 2 part episode a couple weeks ago that was really interesting too.

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2016, 07:39:45 AM »
Mysterious Universe

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2016, 04:11:50 PM »
Great thread, podcasts are my SHIT. Literally anytime I'm travelling, walking anywhere, doing housework, cooking or in the shower I'm listening to podcasts.
There have been some great ones mentioned so far. Here's what I'm listening to at the moment;

Video Games

- P.S I love you (Playstation centric Kinda Funny 'cast and one of the best games podcasts IMHO)
-Kinda Funny Gamescast
-Podcast Beyond (IGN's Playstation Podcast)
-Podcast Unlocked (IGN's X-Box podcast)
-Gamescoop (IGN again, general gaming and industry
-IGN UK Podcast (Used to be very funny and obviously unmonitored but it has slowly become more homogenized. Still worth a listen).
-Ultima Final Fantasy (This is the only video-games podcast I listen to infrequently, good for a bit of nerdery every now and then. All the other pod listed above are weekly and I don't miss an episode, this one I dip in and out of).

TV Shows/ Movies

-Bald Move Network- http://baldmove.com/
These guys (Jim and A.Ron) do some quality, well researched and hilarious shows about Loads of tv shows. They are two likeable, intelligent and funny men who used to podcast on the side but as their shows grew in popularity they now do it full time. Meaning consistent output of a high standard.
They have a Bald Movies podcast feed and have covered some good some bad films so far inc. The Shining, Pulp Fiction, The Matrix, The Force Awakens, Fight Club. You're talking about 1-2 hours about each film. Pick a film you like from the feed and give them a try.

As far as their TV show coverage goes, they do The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Game Of Thrones, True Detective. That's not to say they LOVE the shows, they have a distinctly love-hate waxing and wanning relationship with TWD in particular.

-The Empire movie magazine podcast is fairly good too.

Comedy

- Plumbing The Death Star - Two / three Australians with a fantastic sense of humor disect and discuss various aspects of pop-culture such as Star Wars, Back To The Future, Batman and other comics. The list goes on. They don't take themselves too seriously and have some quality moments of comedy gold as well as being somewhat thought-provoking at times. Just to give you an example, some of the episode titles:

Is Being a Werewolf a Hassle?
How Would You Survive the Game of Thrones?
Which Super Smash Bro would Make the Best Step Dad All-Stars Edition?
How Would Spiderman deal with being middle-aged?
Which is the worst fictional afterlife?
The concerns of fictional HR departments.
Why was The Matrix Programmed poorly?
Is Doc Brown an Idiot?

There were a whole series of Harry Potter episodes too which are fantastic - Why hasn't Hogwarts been shut down yet? The Ethical Dilemas of Azkaban.

These guys constantly have me in fits of laughter. They have another comedy podcast about basically any topic called Shut Up a Second. I'd recommend these podcasts to anyone, even if you don't find it as funny as I do, you should get a few laughs. They are both explicit, not that they use swearing for laughs but rather that seems to just be a main part of their regular vocab.

General/Misc

-Song Exploder (Discussions about songs, how they were made, often with interviews with the artists eg: Bjork, KT Tunstall, Harry Gregson- Williams re: The Martian)
-The Shetler Show (good long-form interviews)
-Stuff You Should Know
-Stuff They Don't Want You To Know (By the same guys as SYSN, sceptical and intersting discussion and info about conspiracy topics, alchemy, Serial killers, What happens when we die? etc etc)
-We're Alive - well produced and acted radio-drama set in a zombie apocalypse. It's broken up into seasons, currently there are 48 episodes split over 3 seasons, each episode (bar finales) being around 20 minutes so if you get hooked there is loads to enjoy.

Oh, and serial + 99% Invisible too.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 04:19:34 PM by poor alice »
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2016, 04:22:29 PM »
Brett Easton Ellis (if he even still does it anymore?)

Bill Simmons (does like 4 per week and or hit or miss, super interesting if you are into NBA nerdery tho)

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2016, 05:43:01 PM »
Maybe after we have a few pages of shows we listen to we could organize it abit with categories and stuff in another post . Maybe sticky it

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2016, 07:24:26 PM »
The Flophouse is probably my favorite podcast. Definitely recommended to anyone who likes We Hate Movies or How Did This Get Made.
Similar type of podcast, but I'd rank it heads above all other bad movie podcasts. Of the 3 regular hosts, ones a current Daily Show writer, and another is a former head (lead?) writer for TDS as well. They actually just posted up their 200th ep today, with John Hodgman guesting too.

Bret Easton Ellis is still putting them out, sometimes at least. I was just listening to a recent ep yesterday, with Quentin Tarantino.
I also listen to WTF, You Made It Weird, and The Nerdist, when those shows have a guest on that I'm interested in, at least.
The Champs isn't putting out new eps anymore, but similarly, it's worth going through their archives and listening to the guests you like. It's co-hosted by the guy (who isn't Dave Chappelle) who co-created and co-wrote "Chappelle's Show".

This American Life is a classic that's still worth listening to every week. Haven't listened to Radio Lab in awhile for some reason, but that, along with Serial (the first season especially) have had some of the strongest podcast episodes ever. Check out Fresh Air whenever there's a topic of interest for you on there too.

Song Exploder is my favorite music podcast, which again, I highly recommend you check out the episodes with musicians you're into.

I also listen to Harmontown every week. I could see not everyone being into Dan Harmon, but I always find the episodes entertaining, and highly enjoy Harmon's sense of humor and perspective. If you like "Community" or "Rick & Morty", check it out at least.

I'm really into Who Charted? too. Definitely a good way to keep up a cursory knowledge of what's going on in the charts and pop culture in general, and the host and co-host are super likable, with good guests most weeks too. They just had Paul F. Tompkins on again recently, and I <3 him.

Finally, Stop Podcasting Yourself is basically just a weekly talk podcast with two Canadian comedians and a guest, that I'd reccomend everyone listen to. Never much real deep discussions, but it's always a really enjoyable listen, that I make sure to DL every week, even if I don't know the guest.

Just sniff some glue

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2016, 07:58:47 PM »
Video game Podcasts:

8-4 play
(A podcast of about video games in japan)
Giant bombcast
The Giant Beastcast

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2016, 08:01:01 PM »

If you're looking for something educational

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2016, 08:19:02 PM »
Video game Podcasts:

8-4 play
Giant bombcast
The Giant Beastcast

The Indoor Kids is probably my favorite video game podcast, although it is currently on hiatus.

It's hosted by comedian Kumail Nanjiani (who I'm a big fan of), along with his wife, and even though I'm only a moderate fan of video games, I always enjoy their episodes.

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2016, 09:15:28 PM »
NPR Politics Podcast is my new favorite weekly show. It sprinkles in quite a bit of humor too.

If you're a real news and politics hound like me; check out the TuneIn app.
You can stream live CNN audio without and cable subscription.
ableSkateMag.com

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2016, 01:36:16 AM »
Freakanomics podcast is usually great. Educational for me.

Just sniff some glue

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2016, 04:19:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Video game Podcasts:

8-4 play
Giant bombcast
The Giant Beastcast
[close]

The Indoor Kids is probably my favorite video game podcast, although it is currently on hiatus.

It's hosted by comedian Kumail Nanjiani (who I'm a big fan of), along with his wife, and even though I'm only a moderate fan of video games, I always enjoy their episodes.

Give the Giant Bombcast a chance. I think those guys are funny. I'll check The indoor kids out. Can never have enough podcast in my phone thats for sure.

Coconut Lotion

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2016, 06:25:12 AM »
skate skate wise wise

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • PHILA
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2016, 09:51:34 PM »
Legion of Skanks
Tuesday's with Stories
YKWD
Ari Shaffir's Skeptic Tank
Real Ass Podcast
Monday Morning Podcast

Basically NYC/East Coast comedy podcasts, because most LA comedy sucks dick

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2016, 12:11:18 AM »
Freakanomics podcast is usually great. Educational for me.

Damn, I knew I forgot a few.
Yeah most are pretty solid, and you typically wind up with an, at least partially, different perspective or way of looking at at least one issue.
Still haven't seen the documentary (I think it is?) yet though.

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2016, 12:41:45 AM »
Oh, I didn't see the release date. They were talking The Hateful Eight so I figured it was more recent.
Was there a formal announcement, or was that just the last one, as of now?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2016, 03:12:00 AM »
I usually listen to at least a podcast a day at work just to speed things up, i had no idea what a podcast was until a couple years ago when a youtube company i frequent started doing them and it snowballed from there. best part is that company joined another larger one with multiple podcasts done throughout the week.

ALABAMAMAN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -196
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2016, 07:50:09 AM »
your mom's house podcast with Tom Segura and Christina Pazsitzky have very high and tight jeans...
http://yourmomshousepodcast.com

satandrinksforties

• Rep: 1
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2016, 07:57:04 AM »
if you're into graff, you should listen to the Legends Thursday podcast. There are some rad interviews others not so much. but thats just a personal opinion.