Author Topic: Hells Kitchen NY  (Read 1719 times)

RoedGroed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 60
Hells Kitchen NY
« on: March 15, 2016, 02:58:58 AM »
Hey - I will be staying around 57th and 9th ave in NY for a while this summer. Im from Denmark, so its not too often i get to make it out there, have been to NY three times before, but mostly been staying around the east village. I know nothing about Hells Kitchen - whats good regarding bars, breakfast places and spots? No skateshops around that part as far as i remember? Usually just check out Labour and DQM anyways? But any guides and hints is very welcome. My girl will be going too, but I will be skating too for sure. It just seems like that part of town is pretty beat for spots where you can just skate? No TF or anything like that?

Thanks in advance, I have always gotten the best guides through Slap!

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
Re: Hells Kitchen NY
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 09:21:49 AM »
57th and 9th is Midtown West.  Hell's Kitchen is further south, by the tunnel.  There are a couple city parks off of 9th ave in the lower 50's where you can get your flat ground on without getting hassled.  You'll also basically be right on top of Zeigfield, Columbus Circle and a ton of other great spots which are best skated after it gets dark. I'll be gone the 3rd week of July, but otherwise hit me up again when you come.

RoedGroed

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 12:22:08 PM »
Ah for sure - i know nothing about anything above union square pretty much haha! I thought it was called Hells Kitchen from 59th down to 34th haha! Midtown West doesn't seem as interesting as the East Village, but I got a crazy cheap offer on the Holiday Inn with the roof-top pool haha.. So had to do it!

Regarding the parks: Are you thinking De Witt Clinton park or Hells Kitchen park? I would love to just roll around and skate some flatground without being hassled in the evenings and so.

I for sure had my eyes on Colombus Circle, but according to QS you get kicked out pretty easily + problems with all the tourists. I will be there from juli 12th 'till the 21st - so it might overlap a bit of the time you aren't around? Would be sick to skate again!! You still live further up? By any chance close to Lenox Ledges, would love to skate those! But im down for everything!

Btw - which spot is Ziegfeld? I imagine i have the most time for skating in the evening/night too!

So stoked you answered again - you always hooked my visits up proper!!

RoedGroed

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 12:33:50 PM »
Ah just googled Zeigfield! It looks really sick. Just really worried about the bust factor? Is it really that bad at night? Or is it actually possible to get to skate some of the midtown spots by that time?

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 12:48:59 PM »
Both of those parks, and another at a school around 51st and 10th should be fine for some flat ground.

Columbus Circle, I only skate at night, when the homeless and/or crackhead lurkers replace the tourists and I haven't had a problem with the cops.

Pretty much all the mid town spots are busts from building security eventually, but there are so many in close proximity that you just skate on to the next one. Daytime, there are too many people around there, so those are also night spots.

I still live uptown and mostly skate spots up there, including Lennox.

RoedGroed

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 12:10:19 AM »
Sounds sick! I will be staying relatively close to that. Columbus Circle looks really fun. The same with the ledge in Central Park kinda close to the ice-skating rink? Is it called Wollmann Rink? Is that any good? It looks like a place you could have for yourself in the evenings maybe?

I would love to skate Lenox! Looks like the perfect ledge spot! That might be easier for you too, not having to go so far from home!

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 01:18:18 PM »
In the summer, they take out the ice rink and put in a little amusement park for the kids. The ledge is outside of that area and probably kind of hit or miss with the crowds until dark.