Author Topic: learning to skate switch  (Read 7557 times)

shags6

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -119
learning to skate switch
« on: March 31, 2016, 05:57:46 PM »
how did you get comfortable skating switch? I made the mistake of not learning it early on so I've been pushing everywhere I go switch to get the hang of it......feel like a kook tripping over every crack and pebble though lol

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
Re: learning to skate switch
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 06:10:03 PM »
Bomb hills. For real !  8)

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 529
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 06:11:47 PM »
I've pushed mongo when doing switch all my life and can only do a few very basic switch tricks. lately I've been trying to push switch too so my legs don't get so imbalanced. it's been a bitch but it's a nice change of perspective on things. the only way to get comfortable is to keep doing it.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 529
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 06:14:36 PM »
also, I'm gonna try to become more ambidextrous in general. I bet getting your brain used to doing things with the other side will help with switch skating too and vice versa.

http://www.wikihow.com/Become-Ambidextrous

Hands down Hass out

• Rep: 3
  • 奇妙な滞在
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 06:19:11 PM »
You know that joy that you get when you first start skating? Where you don't know anything and every new trick you land sets off that spark in your brain to get better?

That's what skating switch is like. Getting the joy of relearning everything.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 06:34:30 PM »
the only way to get comfortable is to keep doing it.
this is key. though, you might get frustrated if you only push around switch. go ambi.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 06:47:04 PM »
Learn to pump bowls switch so you have all the different angles balanced. Skating transitions fakie/ switch helps a lot, when it comes to switch street stuff all you have to worry about is the pop, which will come

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 07:00:11 PM »
I knew this was a shag6 topic, you suck.

Toydivision

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 07:12:55 PM »
I'm just skating awfully recently, might just start skating switch for a while. Only switch tricks I can do are switch ollie (terrible), switch fs shuv, and switch fs 180. I can push switch well cause I used to push mongo when I started, I bomb small hills switch which is fun.

shags6

• Rep: -119
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 07:23:26 PM »
Learn to pump bowls switch so you have all the different angles balanced. Skating transitions fakie/ switch helps a lot, when it comes to switch street stuff all you have to worry about is the pop, which will come

haha I'm the dude that can skate street fine but cant touch transition if my life depended on it. That would be funny if I did learn transition switch and then I couldn't skate it regular......and the dude that said I suck: your just mad I'm gonna make PAL before you lol.

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 08:45:04 PM »
You know that joy that you get when you first start skating? Where you don't know anything and every new trick you land sets off that spark in your brain to get better?

That's what skating switch is like. Getting the joy of relearning everything.

Yeah don't you remember that period when you were learning to skate haha. How do you think you did it? You practice. Keep practicing and soon you won't look like an idiot pushing switch. You will look super tight.

Eric ricks

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 08:57:59 PM »
Just takes time, just like skating regs.

After 30 years of skating I hardly notice a difference.

Some of my switch tricks are better than regular and vice versa.

Oh and switch ollies are fun as fuck going fast!

beat!

• Rep: -16
  • i feel like im skating a 7.5 in dunks
    • streetbeerz avatar image
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 09:16:19 PM »
i cheated my way into being comfortable switch. i started skating goofy cause that felt easier. Problem is my right foot is my pop foot. So at some point when I started doing tricks I switched over to regular, but to this day I still feel more comfortable riding goofy. That way I can skate tranny and do wallrides and slappies switch since i dont need to pop, and still be comfortable enough to sorta do some small popped tricks like switch 180s or crooks and noseslides

Fecal Fury

• Rep: 60
  • 1800-18-18-18
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 10:29:36 PM »
i cheated my way into being comfortable switch. i started skating goofy cause that felt easier. Problem is my right foot is my pop foot. So at some point when I started doing tricks I switched over to regular, but to this day I still feel more comfortable riding goofy. That way I can skate tranny and do wallrides and slappies switch since i dont need to pop, and still be comfortable enough to sorta do some small popped tricks like switch 180s or crooks and noseslides

Does that carry over into Nollie tricks for you?

I Snowboard goofy and Skate regs although that's benefited my Snowboarding a tonne more than it has my Skating..

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 12:15:08 AM »
pray for ankle sprains
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2016, 01:26:39 AM »
All depends on your brain, for me a I could switch kickflip before nollie flip so a nollie flip is now a fakie switch kickflip.
Go fast switch, your brain will catch up eventually.
Carving the park switch is always a blast and makes for the craziest slams from nowhere, tasty.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

TheAmericanAntique

• Rep: 10
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2016, 05:37:27 AM »
All depends on your brain, for me a I could switch kickflip before nollie flip so a nollie flip is now a fakie switch kickflip.
Go fast switch, your brain will catch up eventually.
Carving the park switch is always a blast and makes for the craziest slams from nowhere, tasty.

I noticed once I do this for about 10 to 15 minutes, it tends to work pretty well!

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2016, 05:56:30 AM »
Make sure your front foot is centered and facing forward on the front bolts. When I was learning how skate switch as a kid my natural inclination was to push, then hop into "skate-stance." It was eye-opening when I realized what I was doing wrong.

Also, place your leading hand on your leading thigh for stability when pushing.

beat!

• Rep: -16
  • i feel like im skating a 7.5 in dunks
    • streetbeerz avatar image
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2016, 06:49:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Does that carry over into Nollie tricks for you?

I Snowboard goofy and Skate regs although that's benefited my Snowboarding a tonne more than it has my Skating..

Nollie trick are the hardest for me cause I'm riding regular which I'm less comfortable with and popping with my weak foot. It's what I assume switch feels like to anyone normal

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1473
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2016, 07:09:10 AM »
I got comfortable by getting switch's number and asking him to meet me for lunch. We talked about my hesitation at approaching him. He laughed and told me I just needed to get to know him. My regular dude gave me the same problems before so I could understand where switch was coming from. Now, the only problem is when I don't visit him for a while and he acts all bitchy.

MonsPubis

• Rep: 20
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2016, 07:21:58 AM »
When I was in 4th grade, the kids that worked at the skateshop in my town wouldnt let me come in until i learned how to push switch. From there I also just tried to learn switch tricks and was able to do nollie and switch flips by age 11.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 310
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2016, 09:40:51 AM »
i got a cruiser and around the same time i had bad pain in my lower back on the side i pushed with. i cant do many tricks switch but on long rides i always push back and forth between regular and goofy.. eases the tension because its not just one side of your body your constantly using
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

CHANCHO

• Rep: -25
  • IAMIYAM
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2016, 02:14:48 PM »
Your leg ever get tired pushing long distances?  Do a 180 and skate switch.  I would push to class switch often and now it feels pretty normal for me.  Even helped on tranny.

But now it really bugs me when I see pros who can't push switch.  It comes off as really lazy.

dkn

• Rep: -27
  • to be all ways to be all ways to be all ways to be
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2016, 03:11:18 PM »
point your toes a bit backward and keep your shoulders parallel to your board

FUSE

• Rep: -20
    • Beats avatar image
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2016, 03:25:04 PM »
Pushing a bunch fully helps.  Something that's been helping me lately is doing switch manuals and forcing myself to look where I'm going.  Gets me out of sideways vision mode.