Author Topic: Questions about fitted caps  (Read 1029 times)

The Lap Dancer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -49
Questions about fitted caps
« on: June 01, 2016, 12:01:58 PM »
I've been wearing all sorts of hats, mostly snapbacks and trucker hats but I realized never actually got myself a new era 59fifty fitted caps but as I see snapbacks more and more "boxy" or with squarish uber-stiff flat brims, I really want a good old 59fifty fitted. So I have several questions.

Does new era 59fifty has standards or is based off the collab company they come as they wish? Are there specific things in descriptions or something in the branding that sets them apart besides obvious comparison or seeing them in real life?
The thing is because I mostly see roundish crowns (I'm not talking about the low crowns) but I want that a bit more fitting, the classic one or "trianglish" front top I you know what I mean.
Something like this.

Also I've seen differences in brims. There are some that are wide and super roundish, something like the picture on the left below (and less exaggerated versions). Then there are a bit less wide but very "circle" type in it's form and seems like they usually have thicker flat and stiff brims like in the 2nd picture on the right below. And then there are what I consider more of a regular form, a classic like brim like the Dc one in first picture. The fact I have pretty slim face, the first two options are definite no for me, so probably the brim part is the most important in this whole thing.

Another thing is, are there pre-bent versions or every piece comes flat and you have to bend it yourself if you want to. I don't want anything crazy, just that slight curve to look more fitting. I also read somewhere if you get the right size, it will curve automatically and naturally but I guess it depends on the brim thickness and form as well.

Basically to sum things up, anyone I can think of who wore caps like that and had the fit with that a little bit of slight curve was Wenning back in the day. Probably someone else as well, but Wenning was consistent with them and looked good.

So I'm slightly confused because I didn't expect new era 59fifty had all sorts of options and differences so where should I look for that fit or what are the specific things I should look for or that sets them apart in description or branding wise to get the type that I want beside trying them out and seeing them in person?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 12:06:55 PM by The Lap Dancer »
the lap dancer ...more like the slap cancer.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Questions about fitted caps
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 12:12:01 PM »
All of the New Era 5950s should fit the same as far as I know. There may be some slight differences but your size shouldn't change from cap to cap. Obviously there may be some differences in bill or crown, but you can usually tell how a cap is going to fit from its photos. I personally prefer Ebbets flannels, just because they fit me a lot better and aren't as loud.

Nick..

• Rep: 10
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 01:44:43 PM »
I have at least over 40 MLB New Era's, and because they are hand made, the sizing is all over the place depending on the hat. I'm a size 7 1/8, but I do have size 7's and 7 1/4 as well. However, every 7 1/8 I have ordered online fits perfectly, whatever size works best for you, stick to it and size up or down if needed be.

The brims are easy to bend, starting from the back of the brim where it meets the front panel and guiding your hands around the brim until it reaches the middle works best. The severity of the bend all depends on how much force you use on the brim.

For example, Jason Grilli and Josh Donaldson.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 02:11:06 PM »
I recommend the Bianca Chandon Ebbetts.....be sure to pay no less $150.00 USD plus applicable duties....

zippy z

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 06:40:32 PM »
I have a friend who is a baseball nerd and he's settled on the new era low crown fitted hats.

http://mshop.mlb.com/search/low%20crown%2059fifty%20hats

hsggreen

• Rep: 30
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 10:08:09 PM »
remember that they will shrink to fit as you wear them