Author Topic: Tadashi Filters - Fisheye Protectors  (Read 1367 times)

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 613
    • Community Push avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Tadashi Filters - Fisheye Protectors
« on: March 30, 2016, 08:53:27 PM »
Tadashi Yamaoda put together this pretty wild idea: https://www.tadashifilters.com/

The idea of a filter wobbling around outside the lens and its potential to get dirty is a bit concerning, but as far as I can tell, the footage looks okay.

Somebody more discerning than I am should tell me if this is a good idea. A full cover over a lens seems like it would be a huge relief.

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
Re: Tadashi Filters - Fisheye Protectors
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 10:42:35 AM »
That is a pretty cool idea. Kind of the same idea when people put UV filters to protect their lenses. From my experience with UV filters, they cause a lot of flare that wouldn't normally be there. Not sure exactly what this is made out of, but there is the chance that it'll introduce extra flare. Plus, if it's not the highest quality, it'll soften the image like cheaper filters. But for only $40 I'll probably pick one up just to try it.
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

MYXGAMES2015

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 11:10:32 AM »
You can see it wobbling when the sun is in the shot. I don't know how much extra flare is created vs without the filter, but if you get any flare, the shots gonna look weird and shaky. If they could find a way to mount it more securely so it doesn't wobble it'd be a lot better

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 03:34:34 PM »
If they could find a way to mount it more securely so it doesn't wobble it'd be a lot better
I think the problem is that they made it to fit every fisheye on the market. It'd probably be a lot more stable if they made separate ones for each of the popular fisheyes so that it would fit perfectly.
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

ungzilla

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 06:04:26 PM »
For something that's almost designed to get hit, I would prefer it not have all that solid of an interface with my fisheye. Would rather it take the hit and fly off than take the hit and take part of my lens with it.

Very curious as to what kind of reflections/lensflares/sharpness issues it produces though (or doesn't produce).

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 06:39:44 PM »
Given that they tried to make it accomodate most DSLR/mirrorless fisheyes, I think the design is decent, wouldn't be sure what else you could do to stabilise it further without making it a bitch to install/remove.

If it doesn't affect image quality during video and wobble too much when filming lines, then I'd say its a good investment, especially if you're filming with the Canon 8-15mm fisheye which is about $1000. Even if you have a regular 8mm DSLR fish, it could still be worth buying.

However, the way they're marketing it is strange, you can get close enough without the filter, any closer, and you're cutting off most the skater. They should just show it in action with regular clips, and demonstrate its protective function in the case of lens hits, which is what this is product should be for in the first place.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 01:21:19 AM by tzhangdox »