Author Topic: Bronson Bearings  (Read 21352 times)

Krooked antihero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
Re: Bronson Bearings
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2016, 09:39:16 AM »
Not sure about Bronson but Powell sells cages......it's pretty cool I think.....a good reason to order through them, get some extras sent when you buy em.

When I've been stoked or bummed on Powell stuff you just email em and you get a response.....you should try it w Bronson maybe they'll mail you some replacements. 

Not in europe, they usually just ignore your e-mails or you have to send your broken shit overseas to them, which gonna cost you atleast same amount of money than new shit in store. I just don't bother.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2016, 09:59:57 AM »

The cages were broken before cleaning with a solvent, so it's not cuz of that. Popped the shields and noticed a bunch of the shields were done.

As for the toilet paper, I use the non-recycled 3 ply from Lidl exclusively. Soft and gentle but doesn't break. No bits of paper stuck to your ass hair and no accidental anal fingering. There's some random kitchen towel in the pic though. Worked alright for the bearings but wouldn't consider touching my ass with it unless it's an emergency situation. :)

bummer for the cages dude, it shouldn't really happen even on the cheaper range.
and thanks for the tip i'm gonna head down to the local lidl and get some of that fingering preventing roll
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2016, 11:24:04 AM »
Man....if I lived over seas.....just source your own non skate bearings......despite pages of threads on bearings.....I don't think there is any evidence that one is grossly more durable than another.....get a sealed bearing and call it a day.....if not....shit start your own damn company w hardware.....

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -8
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2016, 12:45:00 PM »
Not sure about Bronson but Powell sells cages......it's pretty cool I think.....a good reason to order through them, get some extras sent when you buy em.

When I've been stoked or bummed on Powell stuff you just email em and you get a response.....you should try it w Bronson maybe they'll mail you some replacements. 

I had Super Reds that broke really fast (4 broken crowns, 2 bearings didn't spin) and asked them to utilize the warranty that comes with the product (part of why I bought them) and after some back and forth they just shipped me some replacement crowns. The crowns weren't the only issue and it's a pain in the ass to replace them. Really dissatisfied with SkateOne/Bones/Powell's service on that. They sold me shit bearings that were marketed as good, and then said "okay fix it yourself" without even giving me the tools to fix all of the bearings.

I'm really trying to show love to my local skateshop, but they're only stocking these shit companies like Bones and Bronson. I got a pair of Swiss and we'll see how they run, but I don't have high hopes.
I'll probably buy some downhill racing bearings or something if these don't hold up as most skateboarding companies make terrible products.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2016, 02:20:55 PM »
Just out of curiosity....has anyone ever successfully warranteed bearings?

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1472
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2016, 05:02:38 PM »
This guy does not sell them in constant supply, but I keep this bookmarked for when he puts some up. The best bang for your buck bearings I've skated. I use the ceramics for my bowl board and the regular for my street board. Fast and quality.
http://www.rocketsskateboardbearings.com/rocknronsbearings.htm

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2016, 12:36:19 AM »
Man....if I lived over seas.....just source your own non skate bearings......despite pages of threads on bearings.....I don't think there is any evidence that one is grossly more durable than another.....get a sealed bearing and call it a day.....if not....shit start your own damn company w hardware.....

http://www.vxb.com/Skate-Bearing-Wholesale-s/204.htm

Plenty of recognizable shield colors and bearing styles ;)

christ0v

• Rep: 15
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2016, 01:25:04 AM »
You can get them even cheaper from china directly

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2016, 02:50:17 AM »

I'll just buy Reds, which have been treating me fine. Got some longboard brand bearings in my other setup now. Zealous is the name of the brand. They have built in spacers and speedrings, are cheap and have lasted me quite a while without any cleaning. If the cages are intact once I take them apart, I think I'll just keep buying those as I like the built in spacers and speedrings personally.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2016, 05:36:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'll just buy Reds, which have been treating me fine. Got some longboard brand bearings in my other setup now. Zealous is the name of the brand. They have built in spacers and speedrings, are cheap and have lasted me quite a while without any cleaning. If the cages are intact once I take them apart, I think I'll just keep buying those as I like the built in spacers and speedrings personally.

Where, and how much?
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2016, 07:21:44 AM »
That's cool...my theory is with that design you can skate everything tight and there will be less vibration....shit should last longer and no axel slip.....

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2016, 07:33:18 AM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=90525.msg2574235#msg2574235 date=1479821806
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Where, and how much?

Well, I bought them from Boardsport more than a year ago for 20? I think. But since they closed the shop here, I dunno where I'll be getting my next pair. They're not very widely available in skate shops around Europe it seems. Skatedeluxe has them, so I might get some from there at some point.

They're supposed to have some special lube in them that sounds like total bullshit, but I skated them all previous indoor season and then they were on my cruiser for most of the outdoor season and they still roll nicely and are still pretty quiet. I haven't cleaned them or done anything else to them either. Reviews around the web seem to be mostly pretty good too, although most of them are from longboarders I guess.

spliffMODE

• Rep: 5
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2017, 12:33:41 PM »
Popped the shields off my Bronsons and now they're incredibly fast and loud. They don't feel janky and loose like Bones without the caps. I've always had problems with bearing shields, either they dent into the balls creating friction, or dirt gets trapped in there and locks up. Last time I rode the Bronsons through water with the shields, they slowed down so much that they almost wouldn't spin. After that I popped the shields off and it flushed everything out and now they're faster than they've ever been.

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2017, 01:18:14 PM »
Popped the shields off my Bronsons and now they're incredibly fast and loud. They don't feel janky and loose like Bones without the caps. I've always had problems with bearing shields, either they dent into the balls creating friction, or dirt gets trapped in there and locks up. Last time I rode the Bronsons through water with the shields, they slowed down so much that they almost wouldn't spin. After that I popped the shields off and it flushed everything out and now they're faster than they've ever been.

I randomly saw on instagram that they will launch a raw version without the shield soon.

By the way I been tempted to buy them couple of times but I was afraid to be disappointed, indy abec 7 are ok for me

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2017, 01:33:57 PM »
My set of bronsons G3s are super fast and loud (with shields) haven't touched them since I set them up; I've only skate park with them.

I find them on par with my Swiss Six, everything else feels so slow.

sweet pee

• Rep: 124
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2017, 01:37:20 PM »
Here's a pic of the new "Raw" version: https://www.instagram.com/p/BRcLKdBAcHi/

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2017, 01:39:48 PM »

Funny, 4 fewer parts, cost will be the same and of course, they will crap out faster.

So, raw.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 05:44:11 PM by Xen »

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -8
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2017, 02:34:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Funny, 4 less parts, cost will be the same and of course, they will crap out faster.

So, raw.

goes great with canvas chucks and the shitty rebranded dickies. No need to work to look like a real gnar d a w g

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1058
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2017, 07:22:45 PM »
Set up A set, fast as hell.
Feel quite A bit faster than the g3's I was rolling on before.
I too am highly skeptical of the durability of shieldless bearings and voiced my opinion to my nhs rep.
Prob wouldn't spend $30+ on them unless someone proved to me they were worth it.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2017, 12:12:13 AM »
Judging by the lack of understanding about how bearings work in the skateboard community (as seen in this thread), Bronson is giving the customers what they want instead of what they need.

I'm not sure how the common misperception (that shields making bearings slower) became so widespread. You never hear a dirt bike mechanic talk about removing seals in order to release trapped dirt. Shields do not make contact with any moving part of the bearing and are affixed only to the outer race. Furthermore, shields do not trap dirt inside since floating debris will stick to lubricated parts. The worst offenders pay a premium for Swiss bearings only to tear off the labyrinth shield, the main feature that separates them from $10 bearings.

Another issue that should be of concern is loud bearing noise. This is a sign of increased friction and is indicative that the races or balls will quickly fail.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2017, 01:46:38 AM »
Judging by the lack of understanding about how bearings work in the skateboard community (as seen in this thread), Bronson is giving the customers what they want instead of what they need.

I'm not sure how the common misperception (that shields making bearings slower) became so widespread. You never hear a dirt bike mechanic talk about removing seals in order to release trapped dirt. Shields do not make contact with any moving part of the bearing and are affixed only to the outer race. Furthermore, shields do not trap dirt inside since floating debris will stick to lubricated parts. The worst offenders pay a premium for Swiss bearings only to tear off the labyrinth shield, the main feature that separates them from $10 bearings.

Another issue that should be of concern is loud bearing noise. This is a sign of increased friction and is indicative that the races or balls will quickly fail.

This! All of this so very much! This lack of understanding in the skateboarding world fucking pisses me off. I call it stupidity and idiocy personally, but I guess that's not very nice. It really is "alternative facts", which are really popular these days for some reason.  :-[

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2017, 01:56:21 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I had Super Reds that broke really fast (4 broken crowns, 2 bearings didn't spin) and asked them to utilize the warranty that comes with the product (part of why I bought them) and after some back and forth they just shipped me some replacement crowns. The crowns weren't the only issue and it's a pain in the ass to replace them. Really dissatisfied with SkateOne/Bones/Powell's service on that. They sold me shit bearings that were marketed as good, and then said "okay fix it yourself" without even giving me the tools to fix all of the bearings.

I'm really trying to show love to my local skateshop, but they're only stocking these shit companies like Bones and Bronson. I got a pair of Swiss and we'll see how they run, but I don't have high hopes.
I'll probably buy some downhill racing bearings or something if these don't hold up as most skateboarding companies make terrible products.
What about the other 3 wheels?

Chuck Gender

« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2017, 07:16:33 AM »

Great, thanks!

BMCsteve

« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2017, 07:25:59 AM »
My guess is they released a model without shields because their shields are crap.  Easily the worst bearings I've ever purchased.  They were fast as hell out of the box then the shields came in contact with the bearings non stop causing wheels to barely roll.

Put Race Reds in both of my setups and never looked back

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1058
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2017, 07:36:48 AM »
If they keep giving them to me, I'll keep skating em.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2017, 10:45:21 AM »
My guess is they released a model without shields because their shields are crap.  Easily the worst bearings I've ever purchased.  They were fast as hell out of the box then the shields came in contact with the bearings non stop causing wheels to barely roll.

This might be why mine feel like crap.
Bronson inspired me to get Bones Swiss
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2017, 02:40:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This might be why mine feel like crap.
Bronson inspired me to get Bones Swiss

Same experience here. Tried some several months ago and while they were pretty fast at first, they crapped out on me a lot faster than bones reds or Swiss. They were good for a couple weeks or so but that's it

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2017, 09:31:52 PM »

That's the only reason why the pros do it. When a box of gear is delivered to your door every month, or you run your onw co. why not do what you like?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2017, 10:33:35 PM »
Saw the new catalog and they're introducing new loose ball bearing technology......they're packed with sand and shoe polish to increase the sound......

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2017, 11:03:39 PM »
i hate loud bearings, and too be honest if they ever made skateboards that had no noise i would be kinda hyped