Author Topic: Fallen Footwear  (Read 67139 times)

Eric ricks

Re: Fallen Footwear
« Reply #210 on: April 13, 2016, 10:07:00 AM »
Skateboarding is yours and yours alone. Buy whatever you want.

When skateboarding was in its dark days it was just fine, same as the shit show now, skate or dont. It your choice.

And dgkalis its funny you are chiming in cashing those DC cheques bud. DC is corny as fuck at times too.  They do the same shit to survive/thrive. If you asked me 15 years ago if DC would have huuuge budgets to shut shit down in dubai to have Ken Block drive a fuckin rally car I woulda slapped you.

Im not a huge nike fan so I rarely buy their shit. But the only wack thing Ive heard of them doing is pressuring skateshops.

That is fuckin regular.

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #211 on: April 13, 2016, 10:16:58 AM »
Dudes would have to quit... nobody wants to get released.. and nobody wants to see these guys not get paid.
Same goes for the staff. They all know what they are doing.. and i would bet they all feel like shit while doing it.
I would even guess its getting frustrating in that building... knowing nothing stays true in a corporate structure...
The good Employees getting moved, split up, less freedom, having to explain "why", biting tongues, ect.

There truly is no justification.... there isn't. Its all justified by a temporary "at least they get paid" moment of time.. but we all know this trend isn't going to last forever.. it never does.. but when the "cycle" dips out of their favor.... its going to change and a lot of patient people are going to get shafted.

But your right... it might be too late..... there really isn't many places to go anymore. The whole infrastructure needs to be rebuilt. Its taken a beating... Not many places left.

With all due respect, this can all be filed under: Being an adult and working for a living.

So fucking what some guy that chose skateboarding as a "career" is hanging on by a thread. Watch me while I yawn. So fucking what. Pick up a fucking newspaper, go back to Philly some time. The world we live is in hanging by a fucking thread. My old man worked in the foundry supporting his family for decades only to have his job outsourced overseas. Bye! Thanks for your service! I have friends I went to college with in various industries that are hanging on by a thread. The economy and world we live in is FUCKED UP. Skateboarders act like they should be allowed to live in a bubble their entire lives and immune to real world problems. Plumbers, mechanics, mailmen, you name it. They are all living with the same pressure. Join me in reality.

To Canadian Suit's post - couldn't agree more. Make a good product and market to more than just some 15 year old Insane Clown Posse fan. Screw Fallen. They never marketed to me, nor ever made a pair of shoes that compelled me to "rep" them. Oh, ok - Here guys! Take all my hard earned money even though you don't want me wearing your shit! because you know, you are skater owned! If its skater owned you KNOW it's good! :jerkit

Laugh out fucking loud some of you nitwits blaming Nike for Fallen's demise. Pure Slaptard gold. Even if Nike wasn't a thing I'd never in a million years put Fallen garbage on my feet.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 10:22:28 AM by heritage »

Julz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #212 on: April 13, 2016, 10:25:38 AM »
The ideal scenario would be that guys like PROD or Busenitz would start their own shoe brands and grow from there, just like it happened in the 90's. But, I don't see that happening unless they get the boot, it must be alot of stress to manage a skate career while running a shoe business.

Why doesn't DGKALIS sell his cars and start a core shoe brand ?

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #213 on: April 13, 2016, 10:31:41 AM »
Not for nothing, but the shoe brands (core or skater owned or corporate, whatever) that are successful are the brands that actually marketed their products OUTSIDE of just skateboarding.  Now, call it what you will, but that is what has made companies like DC and Etnies be competitive and successful, and why brands like eS or Emerica, etc NOT as successful.  (the brands are examples, not calling them out).

The thing is this.  You CAN be skater owned and be successful, you just have to understand that not only skateboarders have feet.  And if you are only marketing your product to skateboarders, you're pretty much pigeon-holing yourself into a tiny, fickle market that's constantly changing due to fashion trends, etc. 

Call it what you will, but it's the truth.  And as a result, companies like DC are able to pay the Kalis', the Mike Mo's and other well know names a decent salary, etc. 
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1166
« Reply #214 on: April 13, 2016, 11:07:48 AM »
Put Bobby Worrest on when he just filmed an entire part at Pulaski only in your shoes.

hardly art, hardly starving

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #215 on: April 13, 2016, 11:09:27 AM »

I don't doubt that in a few years nike may shaft a lot of their pros

that would actually make them pretty "core"*

plenty of corpo-speak here:
http://espn.go.com/action/skateboarding/story/_/id/6864450/sole-technology-puts-és-footwear-temporary-hiatus
"Don Brown, Sole Tech's Senior Vice President of Marketing vowed that all rider contracts would be honored, alluding that riders may be reabsorbed into the remaining two skate footwear brand teams."

can anyone name anyone who went from ES to Emerica or Etnies when ES dumped their team?

*also worrest related
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 02:14:52 PM by art hellman »

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1208
« Reply #216 on: April 13, 2016, 11:11:51 AM »
http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2016/04/13/jamie-thomas-on-the-demise-of-fallen-footwear/

If you had a new skate shoe brand would you ever consider having Forrest Edwards being the “lead” pro?

[Laughs] Forrest is an amazing skateboarder and a funny ass dude, but he’s not a leader.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #217 on: April 13, 2016, 11:17:59 AM »
http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2016/04/13/jamie-thomas-on-the-demise-of-fallen-footwear/

If you had a new skate shoe brand would you ever consider having Forrest Edwards being the �lead� pro?

[Laughs] Forrest is an amazing skateboarder and a funny ass dude, but he�s not a leader.

Lol that was kind of a loaded question. Harsh response but it's true. I respect Jamie for telling it like it is.

Jamie wants to be on Vans! That would be weird, but maybe it would seem ok after a year or so.

Good read, well articulated thoughts. You can tell this has been on this dudes mind for awhile.

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #218 on: April 13, 2016, 11:25:11 AM »
Lol that was kind of a loaded question. Harsh response but it's true. I respect Jamie for telling it like it is.

Jamie wants to be on Vans! That would be weird, but maybe it would seem ok after a year or so.

Good read, well articulated thoughts. You can tell this has been on this dudes mind for awhile.

Couldn't agree more. I have a world of respect for Jamie Thomas. My earlier criticism of Fallen is separated by my respect for him as a man.

Eric ricks

« Reply #219 on: April 13, 2016, 11:33:59 AM »
Not for nothing, but the shoe brands (core or skater owned or corporate, whatever) that are successful are the brands that actually marketed their products OUTSIDE of just skateboarding.� Now, call it what you will, but that is what has made companies like DC and Etnies be competitive and successful, and why brands like eS or Emerica, etc NOT as successful.� (the brands are examples, not calling them out).

The thing is this.� You CAN be skater owned and be successful, you just have to understand that not only skateboarders have feet.� And if you are only marketing your product to skateboarders, you're pretty much pigeon-holing yourself into a tiny, fickle market that's constantly changing due to fashion trends, etc.�

Call it what you will, but it's the truth.� And as a result, companies like DC are able to pay the Kalis', the Mike Mo's and other well know names a decent salary, etc.�

This is truth.

And that in turn makes it funny to hear kakis viewpoint.

The same shit nike does, DC almost emulates

He and others are cashing in and then bitching about "core" brands.

That doesnt exist in the shoe market.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #220 on: April 13, 2016, 11:47:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Put Bobby Worrest on when he just filmed an entire part at Pulaski only in your shoes.
[close]

Had to go back and rewatch, fuck that part was loaded. Huf missed an opportunity there.

beazlocal

• Rep: -28
« Reply #221 on: April 13, 2016, 11:49:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Why is this such a big deal to you guys? Reading this is a giant headache. I am honored Nike (biggest sports brand on earth) wants a part in skateboarding, won't buy em myself but still! �

Do whatever you want, so long as it's legal no-one is getting screwed.
[close]

But people are getting screwed �???
Dudes just lost their jobs and sponsorships so what you said doesn't make sense.
Plus, shops are closing because of Nike. Which I know people will argue that shops are responsible too, but still there is a lot evidence that Nike interference correlates with shops closing.
The way I see it, no one should be honored that Nike is in skateboarding unless you're getting their paychecks. Even then you know the checks come with a grain of salt.
[close]

So it would be better if Nike shut down its skate program and fires it's 30 person skate team and large staff including some skating legends than fallen cut its 8 team members or whatever and presumably small staff? Not to mention the 100s on flow. I don't think fallen sponsors anyone in my area.

I don't like how people equate the demise of a crap company to the demise of skating. Surely this won't affect our want/will to skate
[close]

Yup... then divide up the 30+ PRO's on the squad... back into skate shoe companies. Now you have multiple brands on the shelves.. pushing multiple PRO shoes per brand. Way more people eating, way more doors opening, and a lot more glass ceilings breaking for pro skaters. How long is Ishods name going to be on that dunk, or Coreys name on his shoe? These guys going to have longevity within Nike? Multiple shoes? 10-15 different shoes through out the years? who's next, Luan, Shane, Theotis, Guy, Malto, Bobby, Alex..... who's next? Years are flying by... There is a bunch of people on that team that deserve a pro shoe. Not a color way, not "name on a shoe for a year"...
Some of these dudes need to be the icons of brands and products that carry their names for a long time. Instead they are sitting waiting patiently... false hope.

Thank you

shit_for_brains

« Reply #222 on: April 13, 2016, 11:50:35 AM »
I have total respect for Jamie, but Fallen was never very good and it couldn't last forever. Fuck these corporate shoe companies, right? Including the one Jamie held the door open for?

Heritage is right. Go get a job like the rest of us. Playtime is over.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #223 on: April 13, 2016, 11:51:18 AM »
DC is trying to pick him up, lame.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #224 on: April 13, 2016, 11:52:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Had to go back and rewatch, fuck that part was loaded. Huf missed an opportunity there.

Bobby Worrest: Hometown Turf Killer

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #225 on: April 13, 2016, 11:53:44 AM »
I said it on the last Fuck Nike thread, and I'm saying it here. If the shops are getting fucked over by Nike, then the shops need to quit buying Nike rider hard goods. It will matter.

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #226 on: April 13, 2016, 12:00:39 PM »
I said it on the last Fuck Nike thread, and I'm saying it here. If the shops are getting fucked over by Nike, then the shops need to quit buying Nike rider hard goods. It will matter.

thats the worst idea ever and would only help to sink small shops while the chain/mall stores survived.  tell a shop NOT to sell Grant Taylor AH boards, or Ishod/Brock Real boards, Prod/Shane Primitive boards, Worrest Krooked boards, Malto Girl boards, etc. etc. etc. 

C'mon man, you don't HONESTLY think that's a good idea. 
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

DGKALIS

• Rep: 529
« Reply #227 on: April 13, 2016, 12:17:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Dudes would have to quit... nobody wants to get released.. and nobody wants to see these guys not get paid.
Same goes for the staff. They all know what they are doing.. and i would bet they all feel like shit while doing it.
I would even guess its getting frustrating in that building... knowing nothing stays true in a corporate structure...
The good Employees getting moved, split up, less freedom, having to explain "why", biting tongues, ect.

There truly is no justification.... there isn't. Its all justified by a temporary "at least they get paid" moment of time.. but we all know this trend isn't going to last forever.. it never does.. but when the "cycle" dips out of their favor.... its going to change and a lot of patient people are going to get shafted.

But your right... it might be too late..... there really isn't many places to go anymore. The whole infrastructure needs to be rebuilt. Its taken a beating... Not many places left.
[close]

With all due respect, this can all be filed under: Being an adult and working for a living.

So fucking what some guy that chose skateboarding as a "career" is hanging on by a thread. Watch me while I yawn. So fucking what. Pick up a fucking newspaper, go back to Philly some time. The world we live is in hanging by a fucking thread. My old man worked in the foundry supporting his family for decades only to have his job outsourced overseas. Bye! Thanks for your service! I have friends I went to college with in various industries that are hanging on by a thread. The economy and world we live in is FUCKED UP. Skateboarders act like they should be allowed to live in a bubble their entire lives and immune to real world problems. Plumbers, mechanics, mailmen, you name it. They are all living with the same pressure. Join me in reality.

To Canadian Suit's post - couldn't agree more. Make a good product and market to more than just some 15 year old Insane Clown Posse fan. Screw Fallen. They never marketed to me, nor ever made a pair of shoes that compelled me to "rep" them. Oh, ok - Here guys! Take all my hard earned money even though you don't want me wearing your shit! because you know, you are skater owned! If its skater owned you KNOW it's good! :jerkit

Laugh out fucking loud some of you nitwits blaming Nike for Fallen's demise. Pure Slaptard gold. Even if Nike wasn't a thing I'd never in a million years put Fallen garbage on my feet.

This convo isn't based on any type of personal insults. So it'd be cool if you kept those out of it. "Hanging by a thread?"
Skateboard industry is a bit different. Loyalty and respect play a big part in a companies roll of a pro. Hat a skater does
Within the company AND the desire for the consumer to buy products with his name. Not to mention the representing the brand as a
Whole. Being a pro skater is way deeper than performance level. (For most brands). Affiliation, fan engagement, product design and input, you name it.
Your comment about "hanging on by a thread" means you don't see what happens behind the scenes and how imbedded some pros are in the brands they represent.

It looks like your mentality is for you and you only. "Screw Fallen... Never marketed to me". That's you thinking as a individual. I respect that. But that's not the mentality I have.

DGKALIS

« Reply #228 on: April 13, 2016, 12:21:49 PM »

When skateboarding was in its dark days it was just fine, same as the shit show now, skate or dont. It your choice.

And dgkalis its funny you are chiming in cashing those DC cheques bud. DC is corny as fuck at times too.  They do the same shit to survive/thrive. If you asked me 15 years ago if DC would have huuuge budgets to shut shit down in dubai to have Ken Block drive a fuckin rally car I woulda slapped you.

Im not a huge nike fan so I rarely buy their shit. But the only wack thing Ive heard of them doing is pressuring skateshops.

That is fuckin regular.

Lol. "Chasing checks..... ". You got me there!!!!
DC didn't do Dubai.
They were involved in the SF GYmkhana and that shit was sick! I got to witness some of it first hand.  Love that shit.

DGKALIS

« Reply #229 on: April 13, 2016, 12:35:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Why is this such a big deal to you guys? Reading this is a giant headache. I am honored Nike (biggest sports brand on earth) wants a part in skateboarding, won't buy em myself but still! �

Do whatever you want, so long as it's legal no-one is getting screwed.
[close]

But people are getting screwed �???
Dudes just lost their jobs and sponsorships so what you said doesn't make sense.
Plus, shops are closing because of Nike. Which I know people will argue that shops are responsible too, but still there is a lot evidence that Nike interference correlates with shops closing.
The way I see it, no one should be honored that Nike is in skateboarding unless you're getting their paychecks. Even then you know the checks come with a grain of salt.
[close]

So it would be better if Nike shut down its skate program and fires it's 30 person skate team and large staff including some skating legends than fallen cut its 8 team members or whatever and presumably small staff? Not to mention the 100s on flow. I don't think fallen sponsors anyone in my area.

I don't like how people equate the demise of a crap company to the demise of skating. Surely this won't affect our want/will to skate
[close]

Yup... then divide up the 30+ PRO's on the squad... back into skate shoe companies. Now you have multiple brands on the shelves.. pushing multiple PRO shoes per brand. Way more people eating, way more doors opening, and a lot more glass ceilings breaking for pro skaters. How long is Ishods name going to be on that dunk, or Coreys name on his shoe? These guys going to have longevity within Nike? Multiple shoes? 10-15 different shoes through out the years? who's next, Luan, Shane, Theotis, Guy, Malto, Bobby, Alex..... who's next? Years are flying by... There is a bunch of people on that team that deserve a pro shoe. Not a color way, not "name on a shoe for a year"...
Some of these dudes need to be the icons of brands and products that carry their names for a long time. Instead they are sitting waiting patiently... false hope.
[close]

Playing devil's advocate here - so Nike releases it's 30 team pros, and they go back to "skate shoe companies"...how do these brands make room on the payroll for Koston, for Guy, for Corey, for Shane? What happens to the lesser knowns that are currently on these brands? Is DC going to find extra money just to take on more names? Or is DC going to make room by cutting riders with a less marketable name? It takes a ton of time to generate revenue off of a pro model shoe, out of an already over-saturated market, so please don't think they'll make the money up right away (if at all). What happens with all of the artificial sales from non-skateboarders when Nike pulls the plug?

Even releasing 10-15 of these big names back into the shoe market, would cause huge disruption for the rest of the team riders on the skate-owned brands. And what about the Nike riders that were encouraged to leave more established board brands for something more boutique? How do those guys offset the lack of the Nike check when they leave?

To address the Nike pro shoe dilemma, do you think maybe some of those guys just don't want their name on a shoe? Not like I know, but maybe Malto, Theotis and Shane are totally fine with just getting shoes, getting a steady payment, and skating without having to worry about whether or not their design/signature on a shoe performs. Maybe they aren't just sitting, waiting patiently, and that's a responsibility they don't care about.

This doesn't even touch the topic of staff, like Zurg mentioned. How many former Fallen, former Vans, former Lakai...etc. staff members have found employment with Nike? What happens if Nike pulls the plug? Is DC suddenly going to create new jobs for these designers, sales reps, and warehouse management?
[close]

[close]

Even if all, or half of the pro's for Nike quit of their own terms - that's still a healthy amount of guys that are used to a certain income, a certain lifestyle, and we both know that the only way any team can afford it, would be sacrificing team riders to make room. Loyalty isn't a currency that any brand uses - skater-owned or not. What happens if Shane and Ishod start talking to DC about coming onboard, and DC doesn't have the money to keep everybody? Does MikeMo or Davis get a pay cut? Do they get cut altogether? Maybe they start looking at marketability, and in corporate speak, who "will lead them into the next era of growth"?

The trend isn't going to last forever. It's volatile, and there are dips and gains. And of course we all like the "Well, at least so and so is getting a check while they can" argument. It's growing into a potential problem because a lot of professionals, both in skateboarding and in the staff, have now built a dependency on Nike. And honestly, this is a problem for the industry, and for you, not us.

Whether or not Nike exists in skateboarding, it doesn't effect me, it doesn't effect any kid doing kickflips in their driveway. Skateboarding is the same for the majority of people. It only effects the people who get paid by skateboarding. Consumers aren't to blame with this. The professionals and industry icons that said "Hey we're OK with Nike!" are to blame. But again, those are the people that will get hung out to dry when and if Nike moves on, so it really doesn't effect any of us on here at all.

What you don't know is some of us have taken huge pay cuts. Myself.... I've taken a 75% pay hit in the last two years. So the comments about I'm chasing checks, cashing in, all that speculation... You really don't know.

FYI my "car money" comes from other places. Not just skateboarding. I'm diversified. I can ride the ups and downs of the skate waves. I speak my opinion because this shit matters to me. If there is no dream to become a "pro skater" for future generations.... Then I never get to share the feeling I have from become pro with anyone. Skateboarding from the business standpoint is allowing(allowed) itself to be bought.

Eric ricks

« Reply #230 on: April 13, 2016, 12:47:22 PM »
Expand Quote

And dgkalis its funny you are chiming in cashing those DC cheques bud. DC is corny as fuck at times too. �They do the same shit to survive/thrive. If you asked me 15 years ago if DC would have huuuge budgets to shut shit down in dubai to have Ken Block drive a fuckin rally car I woulda slapped you.

That is fuckin regular.

[close]

DC didn't do Dubai.
They were involved in the SF GYmkhana and that shit was sick! I got to witness some of it first hand.� Love that shit.

So you admit it? I mean it is what it is. Im glad you're getting paid too. You are a legend but that doesnt mean you wont be called out.

Btw you still owe my son a deck dood.

That shit was enjoyable for sure. I liked it. But its not "core".

Stevie said hed pay you 20 grand a month to ride for DGK if he had too.

Now who owns DGK? Who signs your cheques?

And send my son a fuckin board hes been waiting 3 years

shit_for_brains

« Reply #231 on: April 13, 2016, 12:57:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

And dgkalis its funny you are chiming in cashing those DC cheques bud. DC is corny as fuck at times too. �They do the same shit to survive/thrive. If you asked me 15 years ago if DC would have huuuge budgets to shut shit down in dubai to have Ken Block drive a fuckin rally car I woulda slapped you.

That is fuckin regular.

[close]

DC didn't do Dubai.
They were involved in the SF GYmkhana and that shit was sick! I got to witness some of it first hand.� Love that shit.
[close]

So you admit it? I mean it is what it is. Im glad you're getting paid too. You are a legend but that doesnt mean you wont be called out.

I bet it's in the mail now.

DGKALIS

« Reply #232 on: April 13, 2016, 01:04:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

That is fuckin regular.

[close]

DC didn't do Dubai.
[close]

Send me a email [email protected] and refresh my memory.

Also. Dgk is owned by The Kayo Corp. I wish I got paid 20k a month from a board company!!!!!!!!! Bwaaaahahahahaha!!!

Eric ricks

« Reply #233 on: April 13, 2016, 01:12:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

That is fuckin regular.

[close]

DC didn't do Dubai.
[close]

[close]

I bet it's in the mail now.

Hahahah. Well a man should be held to his word. Josh said hed send it long ago.

I know hes busy but if you promise a board to a kid you should follow up.

His middle name is kalis ffs.

I love kakis so do my kiddos. Just be true to your word

Eric ricks

« Reply #234 on: April 13, 2016, 01:15:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

That is fuckin regular.

[close]

DC didn't do Dubai.
[close]

[close]

Send me a email [email protected] and refresh my memory.

Also. Dgk is owned by The Kayo Corp. I wish I got paid 20k a month from a board company!!!!!!!!! Bwaaaahahahahaha!!!

Will do.

The Shogun

« Reply #235 on: April 13, 2016, 01:27:23 PM »
Let's protest in Beaverton with Brewce Martin and Andy Roy.

After that, Nike SB is done.

Made in China for pennies on the dollar.

The skate game is done. Core is gone.

Frog Skateboards is the only hope we have.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 01:40:19 PM by Sho'Nuff »

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #236 on: April 13, 2016, 01:52:49 PM »
From @the_skatenerd on Instagram:

the_skatenerd This is an excerpt from @olsonstuff's new @thrashermag interview that I found quite disturbing, especially since I'm sure Alex knows the struggles of owning his own small company. First off, one of my favorite shoes of all time was the Rowley Classic made by Vans. I had skated dozens of them in the early 2000s and they definitely weren't of the highest quality when it came to durability. The reality is ALL companies make some great durable shoes and also some shit shoes. So to make a blanket statement saying the quality of corporate brands is night and day, is simply not true. Secondly, generalizing all skate shoes into the $80 category is misleading. @nikesb is the most expensive brand on the market with most of their shoes being in the $85 to $110 range, while a core skater-owned company like @etniesskateboarding or @esskateboarding has most of their shoes in the $55 to $75 range. There's definitely more bang for your buck with the core companies. Alex also claims that smaller brands can't get the type of quality as the corporate giants. Now, I ain't never seen a better Frontside Flip than @andrewreynolds and he's been doing them exclusively in @emerica's for practically two decades. Also, he's almost fucking 40 still jumping down shit, so the quality and protection for his feet doesn't seem to be an issue there. The reality is, the CEO of Nike alone has a net worth of 18.7 BILLION MOTHERFUCKING DOLLARS! They have the ability to advertise pretty much everywhere (including Alex's very comment in Thrasher) and they'll always beat the small guys when it comes to buying out team riders. Is it going to take Nike and co. to start making skateboards and kill off all the other board companies for people to wake up and realize these fuckers are just in it for the coin? In the end, Nike holds demos requiring their team riders to wear identical Nike jerseys. That's the epitome of what their company stands for. That's what you support when you buy their products...team jerseys. #UniformsAreForJocks

shit_for_brains

« Reply #237 on: April 13, 2016, 02:04:18 PM »
Wow that's a lot of opinions and anecdotes presented as facts. Nice.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #238 on: April 13, 2016, 02:04:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

thats the worst idea ever and would only help to sink small shops while the chain/mall stores survived.  tell a shop NOT to sell Grant Taylor AH boards, or Ishod/Brock Real boards, Prod/Shane Primitive boards, Worrest Krooked boards, Malto Girl boards, etc. etc. etc. 

C'mon man, you don't HONESTLY think that's a good idea. 

All of those brands have riders that don't ride for Nike. The only way this is a bad idea is if board sales are so bad for all pros that it doesn't matter to them.

It's about validation. If core shops banded together and said that these riders are bad for core skating, then the pros brands would take a hit. I bet the pros would lobby Nike to be less bullying to shops. Every one of those pros had a shop sponsor that hooked them up at first. Pros don't want to be a joke in shops. If you ran your shop right, had the support of other shops, this could create change. Core shops need to create alliances for other reasons as well. Why not band together and take it to the bully?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 02:09:51 PM by Robert Baratheon »

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
« Reply #239 on: April 13, 2016, 02:06:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Even if all, or half of the pro's for Nike quit of their own terms - that's still a healthy amount of guys that are used to a certain income, a certain lifestyle, and we both know that the only way any team can afford it, would be sacrificing team riders to make room. Loyalty isn't a currency that any brand uses - skater-owned or not. What happens if Shane and Ishod start talking to DC about coming onboard, and DC doesn't have the money to keep everybody? Does MikeMo or Davis get a pay cut? Do they get cut altogether? Maybe they start looking at marketability, and in corporate speak, who "will lead them into the next era of growth"?

The trend isn't going to last forever. It's volatile, and there are dips and gains. And of course we all like the "Well, at least so and so is getting a check while they can" argument. It's growing into a potential problem because a lot of professionals, both in skateboarding and in the staff, have now built a dependency on Nike. And honestly, this is a problem for the industry, and for you, not us.

Whether or not Nike exists in skateboarding, it doesn't effect me, it doesn't effect any kid doing kickflips in their driveway. Skateboarding is the same for the majority of people. It only effects the people who get paid by skateboarding. Consumers aren't to blame with this. The professionals and industry icons that said "Hey we're OK with Nike!" are to blame. But again, those are the people that will get hung out to dry when and if Nike moves on, so it really doesn't effect any of us on here at all.

[close]

What you don't know is some of us have taken huge pay cuts. Myself.... I've taken a 75% pay hit in the last two years. So the comments about I'm chasing checks, cashing in, all that speculation... You really don't know.

FYI my "car money" comes from other places. Not just skateboarding. I'm diversified. I can ride the ups and downs of the skate waves. I speak my opinion because this shit matters to me. If there is no dream to become a "pro skater" for future generations.... Then I never get to share the feeling I have from become pro with anyone. Skateboarding from the business standpoint is allowing(allowed) itself to be bought.

I know that some professional riders have taken pay cuts. I don't know what your situation is exactly, and I never claimed to. I never said you were chasing a check. Quote somebody else on that.

I also never said a work about your "car money", so quote somebody else on that. I'm glad you're diversified. You'd have to be an idiot not to be at your age and with the shelf life of a professional skater (This is not a shot at you. You're above average, and you've done a lot to stay relevant. Professional skateboarding is short-term, so you have to diversify or look for stable passive income).

The skateboard industry created a dependency on Nike and Nike's income. Not us. And that's why aspects of the industry at under Nike's influence. Not us.