Author Topic: Fallen Footwear  (Read 67103 times)

shit_for_brains

Re: Fallen Footwear
« Reply #240 on: April 13, 2016, 02:08:04 PM »
I have to go to the grocery store on my way home from work and am wondering if anyone wants to tell me what I should buy there too.

Casey Jones

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #241 on: April 13, 2016, 02:13:24 PM »
The whole "fuck nike" thing has been around for awhile but it seemed pointless.

It's starting to look like the movement is really gaining traction with notable people speaking out. This is exciting. How cool would it be if skateboarders took skateboarding back? Nike done fucked up by thinking they could just have everyone on their team and nothing would happen. Skateboarders are fucking over it now.

History will be made when someone quits Nike. All we need is for it to be really considered Kook-y to wear Nikes which it is already starting to be. The timing sucks though because we are losing all our shoe companies before we can tear down Nike.

We need to start making fun of people who are wearing Nikes, like people who push Mongo. Call out your bro's wearing them.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 02:22:20 PM by Casey Jones »

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #242 on: April 13, 2016, 02:14:51 PM »
All we need is for it to be really considered Kook-y to wear Nikes which it is already starting to be. The timing sucks though because we are losing all our shoe companies before we can tear down Nike.

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
« Reply #244 on: April 13, 2016, 02:28:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I said it on the last Fuck Nike thread, and I'm saying it here. If the shops are getting fucked over by Nike, then the shops need to quit buying Nike rider hard goods. It will matter.
[close]

thats the worst idea ever and would only help to sink small shops while the chain/mall stores survived.  tell a shop NOT to sell Grant Taylor AH boards, or Ishod/Brock Real boards, Prod/Shane Primitive boards, Worrest Krooked boards, Malto Girl boards, etc. etc. etc. 

C'mon man, you don't HONESTLY think that's a good idea. 
[close]
It's about validation. If core shops banded together and said that these riders are bad for core skating, then the pros brands would take a hit. I bet the pros would lobby Nike to be less bullying to shops. Every one of those pros had a shop sponsor that hooked them up at first. Pros don't want to be a joke in shops. If you ran your shop right, had the support of other shops, this could create change. Core shops need to create alliances for other reasons as well. Why not band together and take it to the bully?

Pros want to pay their bills. Most of them could probably give a fuck what somebody at a shop thinks of them, joke or otherwise.

So your whole position is the core shops can send a message to Nike, or Adidas, that they won't support their riders' hardgoods (the smallest fucking margin in skateboarding) by not carrying a specific Nike rider's signature board, or brand as a whole?

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #245 on: April 13, 2016, 02:40:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I said it on the last Fuck Nike thread, and I'm saying it here. If the shops are getting fucked over by Nike, then the shops need to quit buying Nike rider hard goods. It will matter.
[close]

thats the worst idea ever and would only help to sink small shops while the chain/mall stores survived.�  tell a shop NOT to sell Grant Taylor AH boards, or Ishod/Brock Real boards, Prod/Shane Primitive boards, Worrest Krooked boards, Malto Girl boards, etc. etc. etc.� 

C'mon man, you don't HONESTLY think that's a good idea.� 
[close]
It's about validation. If core shops banded together and said that these riders are bad for core skating, then the pros brands would take a hit. I bet the pros would lobby Nike to be less bullying to shops. Every one of those pros had a shop sponsor that hooked them up at first. Pros don't want to be a joke in shops. If you ran your shop right, had the support of other shops, this could create change. Core shops need to create alliances for other reasons as well. Why not band together and take it to the bully?
[close]

Pros want to pay their bills. Most of them could probably give a fuck what somebody at a shop thinks of them, joke or otherwise.

So your whole position is the core shops can send a message to Nike, or Adidas, that they won't support their riders' hardgoods (the smallest fucking margin in skateboarding) by not carrying a specific Nike rider's signature board, or brand as a whole?

Yeah, let's stick it to the shoe companies by not carrying a pro's board.  You DO realize how illogical that is, right?  You're not fucking over Nike, you're fucking over the skateboarder and the board companies. 
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #246 on: April 13, 2016, 02:54:07 PM »
I have to go to the grocery store on my way home from work and am wondering if anyone wants to tell me what I should buy there too.

I think Kroger would be considered core 

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #247 on: April 13, 2016, 03:04:59 PM »
Almonds. They're a superfood.
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #248 on: April 13, 2016, 03:06:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Almonds. They're a superfood.

When you see Gino, ask him his thoughts on this thread...

hardly art, hardly starving

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #249 on: April 13, 2016, 03:07:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think Kroger would be considered core 
Does the owner actually eat?

yatallfreak

• Rep: 11
« Reply #250 on: April 13, 2016, 03:13:26 PM »
It definitely sucks to see shoe brands ran by skaters go out of business but it looks like there'll be a new one soon, the newest issue of Transworld says Joe Castrucci and Kevin Furtado from Dekline are starting State footwear and may have Ben Gore, Kevin Coakley, and Christian Maalouf

Mcfctid

« Reply #251 on: April 13, 2016, 03:22:14 PM »
Let's protest in Beaverton with Brewce Martin and Andy Roy.

After that, Nike SB is done.

Made in China for pennies on the dollar.

The skate game is done. Core is gone.

Frog Skateboards is the only hope we have.

I just spit out my coffee

bluntstofakie

• Rep: -4
« Reply #252 on: April 13, 2016, 03:25:11 PM »
It definitely sucks to see shoe brands ran by skaters go out of business but it looks like there'll be a new one soon, the newest issue of Transworld says Joe Castrucci and Kevin Furtado from Dekline are starting State footwear and may have Ben Gore, Kevin Coakley, and Christian Maalouf
Damn that sounds sick. Hope the shoes aren't just vans/cons clones.
was that switch ollie in a turban at 1:18 ?.....trend watch

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #253 on: April 13, 2016, 03:27:33 PM »
From @the_skatenerd on Instagram:
*Instagram pic*

the_skatenerd This is an excerpt from @olsonstuff's new @thrashermag interview that I found quite disturbing, especially since I'm sure Alex knows the struggles of owning his own small company. First off, one of my favorite shoes of all time was the Rowley Classic made by Vans. I had skated dozens of them in the early 2000s and they definitely weren't of the highest quality when it came to durability. The reality is ALL companies make some great durable shoes and also some shit shoes. So to make a blanket statement saying the quality of corporate brands is night and day, is simply not true. Secondly, generalizing all skate shoes into the $80 category is misleading. @nikesb is the most expensive brand on the market with most of their shoes being in the $85 to $110 range, while a core skater-owned company like @etniesskateboarding or @esskateboarding has most of their shoes in the $55 to $75 range. There's definitely more bang for your buck with the core companies. Alex also claims that smaller brands can't get the type of quality as the corporate giants. Now, I ain't never seen a better Frontside Flip than @andrewreynolds and he's been doing them exclusively in @emerica's for practically two decades. Also, he's almost fucking 40 still jumping down shit, so the quality and protection for his feet doesn't seem to be an issue there. The reality is, the CEO of Nike alone has a net worth of 18.7 BILLION MOTHERFUCKING DOLLARS! They have the ability to advertise pretty much everywhere (including Alex's very comment in Thrasher) and they'll always beat the small guys when it comes to buying out team riders. Is it going to take Nike and co. to start making skateboards and kill off all the other board companies for people to wake up and realize these fuckers are just in it for the coin? In the end, Nike holds demos requiring their team riders to wear identical Nike jerseys. That's the epitome of what their company stands for. That's what you support when you buy their products...team jerseys. #UniformsAreForJocks

The thing is know were to point your product. Quality matters, but advertising matters even more. You need to get cool guys riding for you, the ones that make product move, appeal to whats hot and not pigeon hole yourself into one exclusive style. Nike apeal to all the skater types, thats why they are successful, Fallen did shoes for Hesh/rail guys, and that niche is over, there was no demand for them and they couldnt keep up with the trends so they eventually fell out. It's how things work now.
I could type for so long but i've been into some kind of battle against Dont Do It dudes on the facebook and i'm so over it. Hearing people say that your arent a true skateboarder if you dont stick with skater owned brands, now here i see people saying you should make fun of people for using Nike/adidas, skate shops should stop selling peoples boards if they are corporate riders... wtf?? Jesus, just buy what you like and what makes you feel better. At the end of the day skateboarding will continue his path...

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Deucifer

• Rep: 10
« Reply #254 on: April 13, 2016, 03:33:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They are really good looking. A few good vulc and cupsole shoes in the first line. They also have Jon Nguyen and Jordan Sanchez
I have two words for you: greg lutza's fedora

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #255 on: April 13, 2016, 03:55:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

They are really good looking. A few good vulc and cupsole shoes in the first line. They also have Jon Nguyen and Jordan Sanchez

Damn, i'm hyped for this!!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

The Shogun

« Reply #256 on: April 13, 2016, 04:00:24 PM »

I just spit out my coffee

My work here is done.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #257 on: April 13, 2016, 04:09:33 PM »
I feel bummed, back when the Slash shoe came out I thought it was the shit. I was stoked but my mom frowned upon it because of the pentagram, my aunt saw my mom and they both started barking at me about it. I was bummed because I liked them and their dislike of the pentagram only made them cooler. Maybe now I can find them on the low  :'(
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
« Reply #258 on: April 13, 2016, 04:26:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Fuck! This is sick as shit! Really?

Maybe it can just be the shoes from Habitat but not called Habitat?! So sick
p-shuvs and v-flips

yatallfreak

• Rep: 11
« Reply #259 on: April 13, 2016, 04:30:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

it looks like this is a pair of them
https://www.instagram.com/p/BEEnqvUy_3W/?taken-by=chomponchris&hl=en

thebaggy

• Rep: -14
« Reply #260 on: April 13, 2016, 04:40:22 PM »
From @the_skatenerd on Instagram:

the_skatenerd This is an excerpt from @olsonstuff's new @thrashermag interview that I found quite disturbing, especially since I'm sure Alex knows the struggles of owning his own small company. First off, one of my favorite shoes of all time was the Rowley Classic made by Vans. I had skated dozens of them in the early 2000s and they definitely weren't of the highest quality when it came to durability. The reality is ALL companies make some great durable shoes and also some shit shoes. So to make a blanket statement saying the quality of corporate brands is night and day, is simply not true. Secondly, generalizing all skate shoes into the $80 category is misleading. @nikesb is the most expensive brand on the market with most of their shoes being in the $85 to $110 range, while a core skater-owned company like @etniesskateboarding or @esskateboarding has most of their shoes in the $55 to $75 range. There's definitely more bang for your buck with the core companies. Alex also claims that smaller brands can't get the type of quality as the corporate giants. Now, I ain't never seen a better Frontside Flip than @andrewreynolds and he's been doing them exclusively in @emerica's for practically two decades. Also, he's almost fucking 40 still jumping down shit, so the quality and protection for his feet doesn't seem to be an issue there. The reality is, the CEO of Nike alone has a net worth of 18.7 BILLION MOTHERFUCKING DOLLARS! They have the ability to advertise pretty much everywhere (including Alex's very comment in Thrasher) and they'll always beat the small guys when it comes to buying out team riders. Is it going to take Nike and co. to start making skateboards and kill off all the other board companies for people to wake up and realize these fuckers are just in it for the coin? In the end, Nike holds demos requiring their team riders to wear identical Nike jerseys. That's the epitome of what their company stands for. That's what you support when you buy their products...team jerseys. #UniformsAreForJocks

When I was reading this excerpt from his interview, i kept thinking about how untrue his response was. Perhaps an attempt to justify his situation, regardless of that, Olson's points are simply unfounded. I have been skating the Romero laced for months (55 bucks new) and they are fantastic. We keep talking about how the Nike takeover is just the result of capitalism, which is funny to me. Ideally you cannot "take over" a free market, but you can certainly control the consumers via saturating the industry by way of advertisement. We as skateboarders are forced to see the Nike ads, but we are not forced to purchase the product. Then again, if Nike received zero support from skateboarders they would still be able to comfortably exist in our world, we just wouldn't be cryin about it. 
Rotate your wheels regularly.

Murray Hewitt

• Rep: 56
« Reply #261 on: April 13, 2016, 04:41:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
HELLO!

http://statefootwear.com/

thebaggy

« Reply #262 on: April 13, 2016, 04:42:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

also fuck yes to this

Toydivision

« Reply #263 on: April 13, 2016, 04:54:25 PM »
I've never bought a pair of Nike shoes before, never liked Nike even though I have to admit, some of their shoes look sick, and a lot of pros I like ride for the company. I don't buy Nike purely because of ethical reasons as stated by most in the thread, but at the same time, I've been guilty of buying CONS (owned by Nike) and a few pair of Adidas. I'm pretty much a hypocrite in this sense, I can't get over how well the few Cons and Adidas I've owned have skated.

Still, 70% of the shoes I buy have been skater owned, mostly Lakai, Etnies, Emerica and DC, they are just way cheaper. At the same time, I think most of these brands have been marketing themselves terribly, they don't fit the whole metropolitan skate vibe that seems to be popular nowadays. I think there's a reason why CONS and Adidas has such a grasp on me, their edits have been so on point and appealing, I don't see other shoe companies making any effort to appeal in the way they are, and that's a shame because the shoes can definitely compete in quality.

I think the people who worship Nike shoes are the type of people that are too scared to venture outside, and find other shoes that could work for them. I never ride the same shoe twice in a row, I like trying new things in the hopes of finding something new that I like, I could never skate 10 pairs of Janoski's in a row, that's way too boring.

billyerlife

« Reply #264 on: April 13, 2016, 04:56:19 PM »
There is a simple fact of the matter. If skateboarders only supported skater owned brands, those brands would make enough money to pay big name pros. That's obvious. The weird thing to me is that skateboarders don't understand how fucking amazing it is to have the option to support skater owned shit. You think tennis players get to buy tennis player made balls? Soccer players wearing soccer player owned shin guards? No. Skateboarding was a community and because no one else made the shit we wanted we made it ourselves, and when someone figured it out, like Independent, Sole Tech, Toy Machine, we bought their shit and so we built an industry. We created an economy by skaters and for skaters. Nothing else is like that! Now it's slipping away.

Within a few year that has just stopped mattering to huge amounts of skateboarders. I don't know why, I have some guesses. Regardless, if we, the skateboarding community, don't stop giving money to people who don't give a fuck about skateboarding, except as a revenue source, the world skateboarders created will end. We'll just buy our shit at malls and sports stores.

This generation was given a world of skater owned and operated opportunities and options, and they will have thrown it away because Dunks are cool. There is no justification of corporate owned bullshit that stops it from being sad to see it go.

thebaggy

« Reply #265 on: April 13, 2016, 05:07:32 PM »

Still, 70% of the shoes I buy have been skater owned, mostly Lakai, Etnies, Emerica and DC, they are just way cheaper. At the same time, I think most of these brands have been marketing themselves terribly, they don't fit the whole metropolitan skate vibe that seems to be popular nowadays. I think there's a reason why CONS and Adidas has such a grasp on me, their edits have been so on point and appealing, I don't see other shoe companies making any effort to appeal in the way they are, and that's a shame because the shoes can definitely compete in quality.

I think the people who worship Nike shoes are the type of people that are too scared to venture outside, and find other shoes that could work for them. I never ride the same shoe twice in a row, I like trying new things in the hopes of finding something new that I like, I could never skate 10 pairs of Janoski's in a row, that's way too boring.

There's an interesting point to be made from this quote. Why are skateboarders so susceptible to marketing nowadays? Regardless of the companies intentions behind the marketing (i.e cons trying to exploit the "metropolitan skate image") we as skateboarders seem to create these associations which are otherwise non existent. For example, you are more than capable of wearing a pair of Fallens with your dickie pants, carabiner, colorful griptape, krux trucks and bleached hair.   

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #266 on: April 13, 2016, 05:10:08 PM »
While on the subject of Nike riders Daryl Angel had some comments in thrasher I found really funny.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #267 on: April 13, 2016, 05:28:59 PM »
I'm about to pile up and burn everything in my apartment that isn't skater owned...
you never know about pre-cum 

nino brown

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1416
  • only nerds kook people
« Reply #268 on: April 13, 2016, 05:35:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
HELLO!

http://statefootwear.com/
wow what a original design  ::)

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #269 on: April 13, 2016, 05:50:50 PM »
"Core" brands need to start having some originality and making shoes that last. 99% of the different shoes I see by each "core" company looks almost identical to another company's model, and they all have no support.

Make simple shoes with long lasting support and people will buy it...period. Vans was doing it right with their pro classics till they went to shit. Now I'm forced to seek out older pro models from shops or eBay.

Nike and Adidas look waaay too sporty for me to even wanna try a pair on. Huf and CONS are for all the fashionistas, let's face it. There's really nothing left for someone like me that just likes a simple good quality skate shoe. Never had this issue in the early-mid 2000s...