Poll

What is the optimal wheel size for street skating in your opinion?

Can't spell wheels without wee
51-52mm
53-54mm
55-56mm
BIGGER IS BETTER

Author Topic: Optimal wheel size for street skating  (Read 5099 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Optimal wheel size for street skating
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2022, 02:10:57 AM »
I size them by my board width.

8” - 51/52 because it’s a tech board.

8.25” - 53/54 - all around

8.5” - 54/55 - all around, but bigger

8.75” and up - 55/56 - flip is not a priority

54 is most often skated

This is the right answer. Plus 53 / 54mm wheels are far less popular than 52 / 55 / 56mm and are often on clearance.

Been leaning more towards 54mm these days, the bones cant handle the cracks in the road as well. 51mm wheels are fun for a pure tech / ledge setup, but they look ridiculous on a 8.25 deck.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

IpathCats

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2022, 04:44:11 AM »
56mm classic shape or a 54 mm conical full/radial.

I think I prefer the 56mm classic, the rounded edges let me get away with not having to run risers, and I still get a bigger diameter wheel which helps with speed. I also like the rounded edges for locking into grinds as well, since it's a 56 you get a little more meat, but the roundness of it makes them easier to get in/out of grinds. The more narrow contact patch is nice for sliding around too.

If I can't get a 56mm classic, 54 Conicals/fulls and radials will do. But I don't feel as surfy since they're a bit harder to slide, I don't cary my speed as well, and I feel like the more aggressive edge on these wheels slows me down on grinds.

Mystical Leader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2022, 05:30:18 AM »
For me it's 50-52mm and I live in an area thats fairly rough. I'm currently running og classics 52mm. Aesthetically speaking my dream setup has smallish wheels ~50mm, high trucks and a board that has a bit of magic carpet ride going on. I'm mostly considered not having wheelbite so it always baffles me how people do it going mach10 on those big balls

cky enthusiast

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2022, 05:47:22 AM »
58mm

philly has third world level streets

IpathCats

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2022, 05:48:01 AM »
For me it's 50-52mm and I live in an area thats fairly rough. I'm currently running og classics 52mm. Aesthetically speaking my dream setup has smallish wheels ~50mm, high trucks and a board that has a bit of magic carpet ride going on. I'm mostly considered not having wheelbite so it always baffles me how people do it going mach10 on those big balls

Tuning your truck tightness/bushing setup for your weight. I'm skating 56mm classics (maybe worn to 55, def no smaller than 54) on thunder team hollows, I only bite if i really mess up. i weigh 165, between 1-2 threads showing, stock thunder bushings/washers. I feel like most people run their trucks too loose these days. Harder bushings would benefit most adult sized skateboarders too. I strictly ran the hard indy bushings for years. My board turns fine, i deff dont have a super tight tic tac only setup.

IpathCats

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2022, 05:48:45 AM »
58mm

philly has third world level streets

Living on the east coast def influences my preference to a larger wheel.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2022, 07:13:22 AM »
Expand Quote
I'd like to know what you guys think is the best size of wheels for street. Feel free to comment on shape, and why you think that.

Been messing around with different wheels lately, and while overall I think 54mm classics is probably my sweet spot, I prefer my 54mm OG Classics on rougher ground and 52mm classics for techy skating and flatground.
[close]
I think the answer to this question is more geographical than anything.
this poll is basically:
i live in california
i live in pacific northwest or east coast city
i hate it here
U.K.

So good.
What should my friend that lives in the Pacific Northwest ride?

I will eventually participate in the poll, but…I mean I skate 52 conical fulls in a parking lot for flatground (99% of my skating) and like em, but as soon as I venture out into the world/streets…I need more. So I want to say 52, but I know I need a bigger wheel. To illustrate how ridiculous I am with this I’ll close with listing the last 2 sets of wheels I’ve purchased: both f4 99s, 1 set of 51 mm classics, 1 set of 56 mm radial fulls

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2022, 07:54:44 AM »
54mm Conical fulls are my favorite wheels.

or 54mm-56mm classics.

If the shop is low on stock and I have to choose between a 53mm or a 56mm I will choose 56mm every time.

Just bought some 56mm NFG 95a Vs to try (primarily for a very rough and slippery spot in my neighborhood) so that could be new and interesting.

If I had a smooth skatepark near me I'd love to have a board set up with smaller wheels because it really does make the board lighter. But I don't, so I don't.

downtodevin

• Rep: 36
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2022, 08:14:43 AM »
I skate 52mm 99a Spitfire F4 Classics. The roads around my house are pretty crappy but they work well.

I’ve tried some 53mm conical shaped Powell wheels but they were 90a and way to soft and heavy.

That makes me want to ask you guys, what is more important the size or the durometer?

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2022, 08:37:18 AM »
That makes me want to ask you guys, what is more important the size or the durometer?

I’m no expert, but I notice a size difference much more than duro.  Especially with f4’s, if someone switched the labeling on the 99 and 101, I probably wouldn’t even notice.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2022, 09:20:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m no expert, but I notice a size difference much more than duro.  Especially with f4’s, if someone switched the labeling on the 99 and 101, I probably wouldn’t even notice.

I hated on 101s…but after they wore in they are fine. At first I felt all of my bad dentals just rolling down the street, rn I prefer the 101s (for decent parking lots)

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2022, 09:24:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'd like to know what you guys think is the best size of wheels for street. Feel free to comment on shape, and why you think that.

Been messing around with different wheels lately, and while overall I think 54mm classics is probably my sweet spot, I prefer my 54mm OG Classics on rougher ground and 52mm classics for techy skating and flatground.
[close]
I think the answer to this question is more geographical than anything.
this poll is basically:
i live in california
i live in pacific northwest or east coast city
i hate it here
U.K.
[close]

So good.
What should my friend that lives in the Pacific Northwest ride?

I will eventually participate in the poll, but…I mean I skate 52 conical fulls in a parking lot for flatground (99% of my skating) and like em, but as soon as I venture out into the world/streets…I need more. So I want to say 52, but I know I need a bigger wheel. To illustrate how ridiculous I am with this I’ll close with listing the last 2 sets of wheels I’ve purchased: both f4 99s, 1 set of 51 mm classics, 1 set of 56 mm radial fulls
basically everyone i know rides 53/54, and you see a lot of 56 but it’s vancouver so i think we are doing a bit better roadwise than older places like portland

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2022, 11:39:42 AM »
I skate 52mm 99a Spitfire F4 Classics. The roads around my house are pretty crappy but they work well.

I’ve tried some 53mm conical shaped Powell wheels but they were 90a and way to soft and heavy.

I’d say 1st durometer, 2nd contact patch width, 3rd wheel diameter. That’s not to say wheel diameter isn’t important as it is but durometer IMO is more important.

97A 54mm Conical Fulls roll better on rough asphalt than 99A 58mm Conical Fulls which are obviously bigger but also have a much wider contact patch. Wearing wheels down, the contact patch widens while the diameter decreases. I feel like this helps the wheels still roll relatively smooth.

101A F4s are too hard for me. I also prefer the slide on 99As and 97As. It feels like it takes equal amount of force to the the 101A & 99A to slide but when they’re sliding the 101A is a bit too slippery/icy for me while the 99A is easier to control. The 97A slide really good too IMO.

Bumba

• Rep: 32
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2022, 11:52:08 AM »
54mm radial formula four 99a in the UK. Good shape for ledges but start off with a wider contact patch like a worn down classic. It's on the edge of making your board too high for flips

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2022, 12:18:56 PM »
East Berlin here. I am digging the 52mm Spitfire Regular Conicals. Wider contact patch matters more as the wheel size in my opinion.

This is what I'm rolling as well and I'm liking them a lot. Doesn't look as silly as the conical fulls in my opinion. I'm still on the lookout for a 52/53mm radial, but until then i'll stay on the conicals.

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2022, 12:38:21 PM »
I’d say 1st durometer, 2nd contact patch width, 3rd wheel diameter. That’s not to say wheel diameter isn’t important as it is but durometer IMO is more important.

I agree with this pecking order entirely.

With the important caveat that the polyurethane formula is constant. 99a Bones feel waaaaaaay different than 99a Spitfire. And with these new Bones/Powell wheels coming out, you essentially have to add +5 or +6 to the durometer to get an accurate sense of the hardness.

0. Forumula
1. Durometer
2. Contact Patch
3. Diameter

Though diameter can make a huge difference for things like grinds and anything involving coping, I think this list works for general wheel feel.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

HHH

• Rep: -4
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2022, 02:34:11 PM »
Any tips on skating mostly cobblestone flat (with noticeable spaces in between)? Seems like something like 97 - 99 conical full would be the best. But once I tried some A-cut mini logos, maybe even 101a and they felt amazing, so I'm quite confused.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2022, 02:47:13 PM »
Any tips on skating mostly cobblestone flat (with noticeable spaces in between)? Seems like something like 97 - 99 conical full would be the best. But once I tried some A-cut mini logos, maybe even 101a and they felt amazing, so I'm quite confused.

Interesting. Were those wider wheels than the other wheels you have tried there? Was the diameter larger as well?

I would say for something like that, Diameter DOES become more important. Think of it in the extremes... extremely large wheels (like a car wheel) don't even notice the cobblestone spaces, while a comically small skateboard wheel might be able to fit in between the spaces entirely.

Similar applies for wheel contact patch width... if your wheels aren't wide enough for those spaces, it could really mess up your roll.

Durometers change from formula to formula. I know a Bones STF 99a would handle that better than a Spitfire F4 99a (I am NOT recommending Bones STF 99a, their slide is terrible) as I noticed it really bounces up cracks very well. But I've never skated a minilogo wheel.

I feel like a shill at this point, but seriously, anyone who is dealing with any sort of terrain issue that is giving them wheel problems should just grab the Powell/Bones SSF 93a when it comes out. Feels like a 98 or 99, but deals with every single form of shitty ground I have thrown at them.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2022, 01:12:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Interesting. Were those wider wheels than the other wheels you have tried there? Was the diameter larger as well?

I would say for something like that, Diameter DOES become more important. Think of it in the extremes... extremely large wheels (like a car wheel) don't even notice the cobblestone spaces, while a comically small skateboard wheel might be able to fit in between the spaces entirely.

Similar applies for wheel contact patch width... if your wheels aren't wide enough for those spaces, it could really mess up your roll.

Durometers change from formula to formula. I know a Bones STF 99a would handle that better than a Spitfire F4 99a (I am NOT recommending Bones STF 99a, their slide is terrible) as I noticed it really bounces up cracks very well. But I've never skated a minilogo wheel.

I feel like a shill at this point, but seriously, anyone who is dealing with any sort of terrain issue that is giving them wheel problems should just grab the Powell/Bones SSF 93a when it comes out. Feels like a 98 or 99, but deals with every single form of shitty ground I have thrown at them.

I’m interested based on your reviews.

What’s the widest 52 wheel? I’d like to skate my thunder 147s, but need a wheel that is small, but capable of handling some less than Cali spots

FuzzGNU

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2022, 01:28:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I’m interested based on your reviews.

What’s the widest 52 wheel? I’d like to skate my thunder 147s, but need a wheel that is small, but capable of handling some less than Cali spots

Spitfire makes wheels with wide contact patches, so I would start there. Looks like Conical Full is your best bet. I haven't found 99a tackle bad terrain they best, but if you don't mind a slightly bouncy/muted wheel with a bad slide, the F4 97a tackle stuff like a champ.

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2022, 04:06:13 PM »
Man but the classic formula in 99a feels good on the rough stuff. I don’t even want to try 97a.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 840
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2022, 01:16:37 AM »
id say it depends on how big the rest of your setup is
52 and below has personally been perfect for skating 8.75+
tried skating 58s with the same setup and its just too beast
but it would give me a familiar flip speed paired with an 8.38
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo