Author Topic: State footwear.  (Read 93113 times)

Watson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2199
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: State footwear.
« Reply #120 on: April 19, 2016, 11:56:39 AM »
while everyone was scared of the heel...I just want to point out the Adidas Silas SLR was a cupsole* and sold for $65 retail.� An affordable/basic cupsole can/and should be done again.�

* even had a gusseted tongue (which should be standard for shoes and not a "feature")

That's true but I feel like there's no way a new company without the manufacturing resources and history that Adidas, Nike, Cons, etc have is going to be able to make a shoe like that for a decent price. It's sad but true. It's like hoping you can get Wal-Mart prices at the local corner store. So I guess it just comes down to the classic dilemma:  Pay more and support something small or pay less and support something big.

Not trying to put myself on a moral high horse here either. I wear Vans mostly but I like Cons a lot too. I'm just offering a different look at it. I really hope this company can pull it off, but there's a lot of barriers in their way.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #121 on: April 19, 2016, 12:03:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That's crazy. The dudes running it and their message are great, but those prices are fucking looney tunes. That's like $50 for the shoe and another $50 mandatory donation. I can't support $115 canvas skate shoes.
[close]

But arent those prices just for Canada?
[close]

That still puts them in the $70 - $100 range, which you may notice is where durable tech shoes live.
[close]

Well, 144p told in the middle of this page that prices range between $55 and $70.

Well, Watson told me a few posts above that they're $90-$115CAD which is $70-$90USD.

Randozzi

« Reply #122 on: April 19, 2016, 12:04:06 PM »
Import taxes/customs duties add to the cost for Canadians.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #123 on: April 19, 2016, 12:09:17 PM »
oh, totally, and I wasn't necessarily directing the $65 cupsole at State. Just seems like everyone expects a cupsole to be more expensive than a vulc... when, there have been examples that it doesn't have to always be the case.

sorta on the same line... canvas doesn't always mean a shoe will blow out in one session.  I had a pair of canvas adi-ease that lasted a while thanks to the placement of the foxing tape. 

if the State shoes are made well...I'd be happy to buy a pair. 

« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 12:11:18 PM by art hellman »
hardly art, hardly starving

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
« Reply #124 on: April 19, 2016, 12:42:46 PM »
I'd be happy putting money in the pockets of anyone involved in this, it's just a lot of money coming out of my pocket into theirs. Then again, as said before, it is a skater owned company and it's something everyone is hoping for right now. I'll grab a pair, and if they're worth it I'm sure I'll get a few more. If it isn't, well God have mercy on their souls.

EDIT: FUCK I should have said "soles" not "souls".
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 12:48:11 PM by slappies »
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #125 on: April 19, 2016, 03:06:12 PM »
You guys are aware that on a $60-80 pair of shoes, a small company like state will earn very little (if any) profits for the first 3-5 years. Add the fact that the odds of surviving are very small. There's alot of hands to feed before catching the big bucks, especially when you don't have the big box resources. They're gambling on this one, and it's worth it to support them (if you like their designs)

That being said, their shoes still look like shit... Sorry, it's just a dekline 2.0 for me.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #126 on: April 19, 2016, 03:32:50 PM »
You guys are aware that on a $60-80 pair of shoes, a small company like state will earn very little (if any) profits for the first 3-5 years. Add the fact that the odds of surviving are very small. There's alot of hands to feed before catching the big bucks, especially when you don't have the big box resources. They're gambling on this one, and it's worth it to support them (if you like their designs)

That being said, their shoes still look like shit... Sorry, it's just a dekline 2.0 for me.

That paragraph combined with their initial high prices just makes them sound like a charity case I am somehow obligated to support.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #127 on: April 19, 2016, 04:17:46 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That paragraph combined with their initial high prices just makes them sound like a charity case I am somehow obligated to support.

BUT IT'S SKATER OWNED BRO.
you never know about pre-cum 

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #128 on: April 19, 2016, 04:46:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

BUT IT'S SKATER OWNED BRO.

I just love this idea of supporting a brand that tries to sell you a product for all the reasons in existence, from concept to "skater-owned" but the quality of the product itself.
A guy tried to convince me that i shouldnt buy nike's or adidas because skate industry isnt about the product, is about the feeling and counter-culture. I laughted.
If you dont like the product that a brand is trying to sell, you shouldnt feel bad for not support them, skater owned or not.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #129 on: April 19, 2016, 06:59:28 PM »
I just love this idea of supporting a brand that tries to sell you a product for all the reasons in existence, from concept to "skater-owned" but the quality of the product itself.
A guy tried to convince me that i shouldnt buy nike's or adidas because skate industry isnt about the product, is about the feeling and counter-culture. I laughted.
If you dont like the product that a brand is trying to sell, you shouldnt feel bad for not support them, skater owned or not.
Harsh reality but very true.
You can't half step to one of the most snap judgement industries out there.
Gonna have an open mind for this brand and hope for the best.

Julz

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #130 on: April 19, 2016, 08:47:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Totally, the idea of supporting skater owned is to support guys who share the same/similar vision as ours of what skateboarding is.... Why else do we care about who makes the profit ?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #131 on: April 19, 2016, 09:07:40 PM »
Import taxes/customs duties add to the cost for Canadians.

Tack on the change in the CAD.....

shit_for_brains

« Reply #132 on: April 19, 2016, 09:50:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Totally, the idea of supporting skater owned is to support guys who share the same/similar vision as ours of what skateboarding is.... Why else do we care about who makes the profit ?

You're a sucker.

Julz

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #133 on: April 20, 2016, 04:17:54 AM »
You're taking this shit too seriously

shit_for_brains

« Reply #134 on: April 20, 2016, 07:33:59 AM »
You're abandoning your argument with a weak deflection. You don't think it's shitty that you're expected to overpay for some pro-keds simply because the guys making them also skate? Your "core" beliefs are being exploited, ding dong.

But hey, they skate so we owe them.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #135 on: April 20, 2016, 07:41:14 AM »
In the 90's skaters abandoned skate shoes to skate Pumas and adidas ie. At the time non skate shoes.....I don't expect that to happen...

Julz

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #136 on: April 20, 2016, 09:39:31 AM »
You're abandoning your argument with a weak deflection. You don't think it's shitty that you're expected to overpay for some pro-keds simply because the guys making them also skate? Your "core" beliefs are being exploited, ding dong.

The only thing I did was justify the higher price tag on an independent and up and coming small brand. I never showed any signs of being a core guy. FFS, I've stated twice on this thread that they we're shit looking shoes, and more so, I've posted a bunch of busenitz on SLAP. All i said was that it's worth it to support them (if you like their designs).

So, going back to my statement, you do take this shit too seriously and you are over analyzing my quote simply cause that's all you seem to do with your life, trying to get into arguments with people on SLAP.

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -606
« Reply #137 on: April 20, 2016, 09:41:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The only thing I did was justify the higher price tag on an independent and up and coming small brand. I never showed any signs of being a core guy. FFS, I've stated twice on this thread that they we're shit looking shoes, and more so, I've posted a bunch of busenitz on SLAP. All i said was that it's worth it to support them (if you like their designs).

So, going back to my statement, you do take this shit too seriously and you are over analyzing my quote simply cause that's all you seem to do with your life, trying to get into arguments with people on SLAP.

Hey, don't about worry shit for brains. He's just a surly old fart that's bitter about all the people he grew up skating with turning pro, while the closest thing he got to that was Bobby Puleo fucking his girlfriend.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #138 on: April 20, 2016, 10:21:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Hey, don't about worry shit for brains. He's just a surly old fart that's bitter about all the people he grew up skating with turning pro, while the closest thing he got to that was Bobby Puleo fucking his girlfriend.

Do you need attention?

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3290
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #139 on: April 20, 2016, 11:46:06 AM »
Not feeling any part of this company. The shoe names are terrible. I give it a year at the most. 

This made me laugh and roll my eyes simultaneously. Are we really buying/not buying shoes based on the name a particular model is given?

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #140 on: April 20, 2016, 02:21:56 PM »
I just have a feeling, but I feel like state's gonna grow to something really big!
Yep people round here will eat this shit up. Very heavy intro catalog, the Salem looks good

brwrxstl

• Rep: -71
    • Tumblr avatar image
« Reply #141 on: April 20, 2016, 03:29:40 PM »
As much as JC has been annoying me with his recent collabs, if JS is involved with this I will definitely buy.

Looking back at it all that collab shit was like the beginning of the end for AWS too. I mean has Habitat even been back for a year yet? I fucking lazy can they get.

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #142 on: April 20, 2016, 03:55:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Do you need attention?

Repeatedly saying I call you out because I want attention says more about your motivation for calling people out. It is, as Julz already stated, all you seem to do with your life.

brwrxstl

• Rep: -71
    • Tumblr avatar image
« Reply #143 on: April 20, 2016, 03:57:44 PM »
90% of the "skater owned" shoe companies out there kooked themselves right into extinction doing exactly what they accused the big brands of doing....

Going after the $$$$$
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 04:01:58 PM by brwrxstl »

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 92
« Reply #144 on: April 20, 2016, 04:00:21 PM »
How you guys seen the team yet?! ... YAJE  :)

Jordick

« Reply #145 on: April 20, 2016, 04:04:08 PM »
Expand Quote
At least they made a canvas/suede version for $65
http://www.hufworldwide.com/product-detail/footwear/classic-lo-ess-navy-white
[close]

plus they're on clearance everywhere i look...you could easily scoop a pair of classics for $30 with 10 minutes of digging.
You could always get em at Walmart for cheap

shit_for_brains

« Reply #146 on: April 20, 2016, 06:03:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Do you need attention?
[close]

Repeatedly saying I call you out because I want attention says more about your motivation for calling people out. It is, as Julz already stated, all you seem to do with your life.

Be serious. You keep tabs on me. Yes I'm jealous I never walked off a building or went to prison for stealing from my dad, but my ex thought Puleo was some kind of sex offender and he followed her around with his nose up her ass (like you do to me!). You know that because I told you years ago when you brought it up. Update your file.

All I do with my life is work. I know you have "several" "degrees", but a lot of us who work indoors do so on computers. If you put those degrees to use you can sort the time spent on slap part out.

Second Division

• Rep: 8
« Reply #147 on: April 20, 2016, 08:26:21 PM »
In the 90's skaters abandoned skate shoes to skate Pumas and adidas ie. At the time non skate shoes.....I don't expect that to happen...

This.

Also, people started skating skate shoe brands in the first place because the big companies didn't really make skate shoes (ie. Jordan 1's worked, but still weren't ideal). Essentially, all the "core" brands appeared to fill a void in the market that was there for many years, that the larger brands are now filling with their quality product actually meant for skating, and forcing those core brands back out.

That being said, I still try to not buy from Nike, Adidas, Cons, but just making an overall point of what's going on that I feel like so many people forget about because they are stuck on the "skater-owned" argument.

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #148 on: April 20, 2016, 09:06:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Do you need attention?
[close]

[close]

Be serious. You keep tabs on me. Yes I'm jealous I never walked off a building or went to prison for stealing from my dad, but my ex thought Puleo was some kind of sex offender and he followed her around with his nose up her ass (like you do to me!). You know that because I told you years ago when you brought it up. Update your file.

All I do with my life is work. I know you have "several" "degrees", but a lot of us who work indoors do so on computers. If you put those degrees to use you can sort the time spent on slap part out.

Oh c'mon, you know it's you who keeps tabs on me.

All I know about you is that Renaud/Puleo stuff. I like their skating, so your comments stood out to me because I think it's hilarious that someone they know goes on the internet and, not only talks shit about them, but about everybody else, too. How is that not memorable?

jpmulls

• Rep: 6
« Reply #149 on: July 21, 2016, 10:37:03 PM »
Now that they are available does anyone know how to get 50% off your first order?