Author Topic: State footwear.  (Read 93124 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: State footwear.
« Reply #300 on: March 25, 2018, 03:17:44 PM »
Been breaking in my hudsons for about 2 weeks now, no skating just walking a ton in them - looking forward to skating them.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #301 on: March 26, 2018, 02:40:47 PM »
...they're great, except had to shoe goo the side canvas panel after 2 sessions...
Great skate shoes don't need shoe goo, especially after only 2 sessions

homehelpsearch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -50
« Reply #302 on: March 26, 2018, 03:53:30 PM »
Expand Quote
...they're great, except had to shoe goo the side canvas panel after 2 sessions...
[close]

Wrong... The best skate shoe you'll ever skate is canvas with a lil glue.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #303 on: March 27, 2018, 08:38:07 AM »
To each their own, I forget some people don't factor in durability when considering what works best - as far as the all suede state's those are pretty bulletproof

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #304 on: March 27, 2018, 11:06:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
To each their own, I forget some people don't factor in durability when considering what works best - as far as the all suede state's those are pretty bulletproof

never got a hole in either of my salem's
good come sausage

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #305 on: March 27, 2018, 08:20:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah when I bought them I thought they were all suede, I should say they're good shoes I really like the way they skate and they fit great and have a great stock sole

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #306 on: June 13, 2018, 07:26:33 PM »
I’m currently skating a pair of Harlems.  They are holding up better than most vans I’ve skated and pretty darn comfortable. 

After about 2 weeks, the stitches on the side suede patch are beginning to break, but major complaint is that the laces ripped within a few hours.  I need to change the laces out almost every time I skate which is a little ridiculous.

Why anyone designs skate shoes with laces that come down low is beyond me.  It’s not like this is a new problem that just cropped up.  It’s like making a water-soluble umbrella. 

What is also perplexing is why I bought shoes with laces that were obviously going to rip in the first place.  For this I have no explanation.

With all that said, I’d like to try one of their other shoes.  I feel all warm and fuzzy about supporting a company like State which I assume is less soul-devouringly evil than Nike, Adidas, etc.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 07:34:02 PM by SneakySecrets »
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #307 on: June 13, 2018, 07:48:20 PM »
Just put shoe goo on your laces over the eyelets. Boom problem solved.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #308 on: June 13, 2018, 08:36:25 PM »

I agree in theory, but I feel like there should be an age limit for shoe goo.  I don’t want to look like a middle schooler with that shit slathered on my shoes. It’s my own vanity and human frailty which keeps me shackled in this self-made, no-shoe-goo prison. 

Am I proud to be admitting this?  Of course not.
Is it the unadorned, absolute truth?  Yes it is.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #309 on: June 13, 2018, 10:33:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I agree in theory, but I feel like there should be an age limit for shoe goo.  I don’t want to look like a middle schooler with that shit slathered on my shoes. It’s my own vanity and human frailty which keeps me shackled in this self-made, no-shoe-goo prison. 

Am I proud to be admitting this?  Of course not.
Is it the unadorned, absolute truth?  Yes it is.
Don't wear your skate shoes when you're not actually skating. Boom problem solved.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #310 on: June 14, 2018, 02:38:37 AM »
Super glue is less noticable and is just as good on stitching and laces

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 716
« Reply #311 on: June 14, 2018, 12:54:55 PM »

it's more slippery though, if you put it near the ollie area it would mess you up
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
« Reply #312 on: June 14, 2018, 01:13:16 PM »

This bears repeating: a drop at each eyelet on the outer side is totally invisible, keeps your laces from ripping, and even keeps your shoe snug without having to tie the top too tight.

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
« Reply #313 on: June 14, 2018, 06:52:01 PM »
Currently skating the bishop and they're really really good, will definitely be grabbing another pair in the future. A little looser on the top of the foot than the keys and hudson I have, so they were pretty perfect right away
p-shuvs and v-flips

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #314 on: June 14, 2018, 10:12:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

it's more slippery though, if you put it near the ollie area it would mess you up
Sand it down a bit then? Never thought it was too slippery but I'm not overly obsessive about stuff like that

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #315 on: June 14, 2018, 10:44:18 PM »
Just got a few more pairs of keys and some elgins. Skated those and bishops. I like the elgins best so far but they all skate well

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #316 on: June 15, 2018, 09:43:00 PM »
when compared to the soles on a pair of nike sb, how would these rate? how long until you started getting a hole?
even the steven

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #317 on: June 15, 2018, 11:30:35 PM »
when compared to the soles on a pair of nike sb, how would these rate? how long until you started getting a hole?

Thinner/More boardfeel than sb, but sole is reinforced just in the toe and heel so You'll go through the upper before you go through the bottom, for sure. This is something i particularly like, since i usually grind a hole under my big toe.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #318 on: June 16, 2018, 04:20:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thinner/More boardfeel than sb, but sole is reinforced just in the toe and heel so You'll go through the upper before you go through the bottom, for sure. This is something i particularly like, since i usually grind a hole under my big toe.

you'll go through the upper section of the shoes first for sure (which I also like for the same reason as you, I normally get the big toe hole first too), but even then, from my experience, all State models have this construction where there's an extra layer of nearly indestructible fabric on the inside, just underneath the spot on the upper part where you're likely to get the ollie / kickflip hole. I don't think I've ever managed to completely destroy State shoes yet. you just wear them out till they become generally flimsy and start to hurt your feet. on average it takes me about three months of almost daily skateboarding to get to that point, and I do a lot of flip tricks and flatground. it's a really practical skater's shoe which is what I dig about them.

the Elgins are one of my favorite models too, love how simple yet practical those shoes are. I didn't want to retire the pair I had, although it was starting to feel like mere socks on my feet after nearly four months of abuse, comprising a couple of skate trips. eventually I gave it to some kid I saw who was skating in super thrashed shoes, that must have been four months ago and I think he's still skating in them to this day.

Bruh Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • Upstairs, fifth floor
« Reply #319 on: June 16, 2018, 04:53:30 AM »
Just chiming in to say these old State Mercers have been very good to me, much more solid than any Vans Pro or Classic shoe I've skated in recent years. Even with the canvas side panel, they're holding up really well. The soles are lasting longer too, and it's worth noting I didn't sand the grip on my latest board, a first in many years.

I didn't realize dude gave me super glue gel so the glue job came out whack, but did the job. I had to sand it down for sure, was like a thick layer of hard plastic lol.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #320 on: June 16, 2018, 01:45:33 PM »
Just chiming in to say these old State Mercers have been very good to me, much more solid than any Vans Pro or Classic shoe I've skated in recent years. Even with the canvas side panel, they're holding up really well. The soles are lasting longer too, and it's worth noting I didn't sand the grip on my latest board, a first in many years.

I didn't realize dude gave me super glue gel so the glue job came out whack, but did the job. I had to sand it down for sure, was like a thick layer of hard plastic lol.

ha, the State Halfcabs. had a pair of Mercers for a while just before the Albanys I'm skating right now and they actually got me hooked on skating in mid tops again. super comfy despite looking like tanks out of the box, I was surprised with how great the board feel was. would have loved to skate them for longer, after two months I inadvertently ruined them by exploring the flooded mines of Paris in them, but they could have easily hold up for twice as long. no sign of a hole forming anywhere, although it was starting to rip at the seams.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 716
« Reply #321 on: June 16, 2018, 03:16:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Sand it down a bit then? Never thought it was too slippery but I'm not overly obsessive about stuff like that

it's always messed with my kickflips, my flick is kinda weird and if i put superglue in the area i flick with i can't even do half a flip
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -606
« Reply #322 on: June 17, 2018, 10:15:40 AM »
Are they still the most insanely stiff shoes in the game? I want to support, but every pair I've had have been stupid stiff, never broke in.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #323 on: June 17, 2018, 01:47:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Dude you’re blowing it so hard.  Just put super glue where that hole in the sole starts.  What kind of person doesn’t know this?  You probably just skate on tony hawk 2 on dreamcast

clintendo

• Rep: 24
« Reply #324 on: June 18, 2018, 04:16:08 AM »
Would back State a lot harder if it weren't so hard to get a set in Australia

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #325 on: June 18, 2018, 04:29:56 AM »
Are they still the most insanely stiff shoes in the game? I want to support, but every pair I've had have been stupid stiff, never broke in.

my experience with them is the polar opposite, literally every model I've tried so far I've been able to skate in straight out of the box. which models have you been trying? just being curious

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #326 on: June 19, 2018, 10:35:55 PM »

Dude you’re blowing it so hard.  Just put super glue where that hole in the sole starts.  What kind of person doesn’t know this?  You probably just skate on tony hawk 2 on dreamcast

Never heard of it.

Also curious which ones were stiff, i've skated about 5 pairs so far and they break in quick, i usually just twist them a bunch before putting them on, crack em like a glow stick.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 06:55:50 PM by botefdunn »

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #327 on: June 19, 2018, 10:38:40 PM »
Would back State a lot harder if it weren't so hard to get a set in Australia

Theyre a new-ish company, im sure they just need a bit to find a distro out here

Edit: Looks like they have some deal with Street Machine

https://streetmachineskate.com/blogs/news/state-footwear-exclusively-hits-street-machine-stores
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 10:40:42 PM by Paco Supreme »

Bruh Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • Upstairs, fifth floor
« Reply #328 on: June 20, 2018, 06:40:02 PM »
Yeah my pair is far from stiff! They're kinda perfect actually lol.

skatefarm

« Reply #329 on: June 21, 2018, 07:37:37 AM »
Best shoes I've skated in years for sure.

Now I need to try and find them in Europe. Anyone know of any distro's in Holland/Belgium/Germany doing them?

Literally all I've been doing is singing their praises every time someone asks me what shoes I'm wearing.

So worth supporting.