Author Topic: Skaters who couldn't peak  (Read 13549 times)

Harem

Re: Skaters who couldn't peak
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2016, 07:05:16 AM »
Luke Croker was made for this thread.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2016, 07:58:35 AM »
To be honest, I am a little confused about the use of "peak" in this instance--seems like people are interpreting it differently from one another as well based on some responses in this thread. It could be seen as people who had untapped potential and fell off (Matt Allen, Scott Kane, etc.), or skaters who seemingly haven't peaked yet despite having been pro for decades (Guy, Daewon, etc.)

I'm going to think of it as skaters who were great, and seemingly had a future ahead of them, but for one reason or another (sponsor issues, partying, injuries, etc.) never "made it big"/got their deserved recognition/filmed that next video part we all expected and wanted.

Gailea Momolu is who always comes to mind. I fucking LOVED his part in Darkstar - Batallion. He was so damn smooth, great trick selection, and doing some really, really gnarly tech stuff down handrails. He seemed like he had a very bright future ahead of him. No clue what happened to him, but it's a damn shame that he only had this and like, a Logic part or something.

DarkStar Battallion - Gailea Momolu
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

zippy z

« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2016, 10:37:48 AM »
Tony Manfre and Danny Fuenzalida come to mind as does Paul Sharpe. Did Billy Rohan ever peak? He's another one of those guys who got sidelined very early.

There are a lot of others, but I'm not sure they were ever good enough to peak in any meaningful way. Like, I probably peaked in the early '00s. Does that matter? Not really because my peak was realistically only a few hundred feet high at best and that was probably only for a few days.

In the credits of Lick at 7:04 Chris Erickson does a nose manual nollie flip out. He was an amazing guy from south Florida at the time Matt Milligan was coming up. Chris got really bad tendinitis in his knees one summer and never recovered. He was one of those guys we all knew who was on the same level as the pros.

http://skately.com/library/videos/h-street-skateboards-lick#24807

jomeara1

« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2016, 10:50:21 AM »
To be honest, I am a little confused about the use of "peak" in this instance--seems like people are interpreting it differently from one another as well based on some responses in this thread. It could be seen as people who had untapped potential and fell off (Matt Allen, Scott Kane, etc.), or skaters who seemingly haven't peaked yet despite having been pro for decades (Guy, Daewon, etc.)

I'm going to think of it as skaters who were great, and seemingly had a future ahead of them, but for one reason or another (sponsor issues, partying, injuries, etc.) never "made it big"/got their deserved recognition/filmed that next video part we all expected and wanted.

Gailea Momolu is who always comes to mind. I fucking LOVED his part in Darkstar - Batallion. He was so damn smooth, great trick selection, and doing some really, really gnarly tech stuff down handrails. He seemed like he had a very bright future ahead of him. No clue what happened to him, but it's a damn shame that he only had this and like, a Logic part or something.

DarkStar Battallion - Gailea Momolu

Fuck yeah.  Used to watch this part everyday back then.  Him and Sven Kilchenmann were my favorites in that video

Willie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2016, 12:54:55 PM »

Yeah, this thread is in danger of becoming another "where are they now"/"name your favorite overlooked skater" thread.

I feel like the "never peaked" distinction should be for skaters who seemed like they were on an inevitable upward trajectory and for whatever reason never got there. There are plenty of guys who had careers with peaks that were perfectly logical in hindsight (was Ragdoll going to keep going and be the biggest thing ever?)

Guy and Daewon are at the peak and on another level.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 05:54:08 AM by Willie »

Scott Case

• Rep: -12
« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2016, 02:03:18 PM »
I think underachieved is what was intended.  Everyone peaks, some just weren't as good as we thought.  And whoever said Tom...Tom Penny's peak was the epitome of NOT underachievement.

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2016, 03:20:19 PM »
Expand Quote
This dude Anthony Williams was skating with Nyjah at one point. .3 of the teams he was on canceled back to back, but he is buttery https://youtu.be/Qkndu2oHJ_U
[close]
Anthony Wiliams was the shit!!! That guy was freakishly good and I always hoped he'd blow up but he seems to have nArCIssISt'd his way out of the industry
Him and Walker ryan followed by David clark are the most naturally gifted I've seen, whats funny is I think he's getting hooked up by Organika now they definitely need to turn him pro w.video part that'll be a great look, a new epic part just released of him https://youtu.be/5-mceSeaFpI if someone sticks to something they originally came up with I'm going to like it because meanwhile you have Tk not completely answering a question
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

zippy z

« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2016, 05:44:25 PM »
Nick Dompierre for sure.