Author Topic: Punching Phelps  (Read 19664 times)

Shitbag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
  • A mystery wrapped inside a Twinkie
Re: Punching Phelps
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2016, 02:35:00 AM »
I don't know too much, and may even be getting it all wrong, but if I'm not confused, at one point, Jamie's current girlfriend was somebody else's ex-girlfriend, and it bummed the wrong people out...but now I feel like that happened with Kelch and EMB or something. Fuck. ISUCK needs to clear this up.
Old story is it was Tommy G's girl or ex girl and it got him kicked off Thunder and Spitfire as well.

EARL***THE***PEARL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -110
  • MR.MADN3SSS LOVES YOU... NT MM
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2016, 03:36:32 AM »
Expand Quote
I wonder what Billy Pepper is doing right now?
[close]

probs a switch front heel

Ayyyyyye

jomeara1

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2016, 05:25:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I got to see this one in person, pretty damn funny.

Geoff Rowley Punks the Phelper
[close]

Damn that's tight, you got a story behind that?
[close]
i imagine phelps has a casting couch for all skaters that want the cover of thrasher. rowley was drunk and got the courage to tell off his abuser and all the fellow victims cheered him on for standing up to the evil mr. phelps
[close]

I heard rowley got pissed because David Gonzalez didn't win SOTY that year.
[close]

nah no way. Gonzalez was just coming on to the scene then

True.  I had the impression that it happened shortly after extremely sorry came out and Rowley had high hopes that they were gonna give the award to David.  This is just shit I heard through the grapevine though.   

shark tits

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2016, 06:45:20 AM »
Expand Quote
I don't know too much, and may even be getting it all wrong, but if I'm not confused, at one point, Jamie's current girlfriend was somebody else's ex-girlfriend, and it bummed the wrong people out...but now I feel like that happened with Kelch and EMB or something. Fuck. ISUCK needs to clear this up.
[close]
Old story is it was Tommy G's girl or ex girl and it got him kicked off Thunder and Spitfire as well.
wasn't it indy and he was stuck w/ an independent tat? then he came back w/ that fire heavy metal part to 'i will survive' back when he still filmed flip tricks. 'wasn't thrasher the ones who tried to break me w/ these lies would i crumble? would i lay down and die?'

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2016, 06:59:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Phelps gave Busenitz permission to punch him because he almost killed him in a car accident.
Billy Pepper punched Phelper because apparently, nobody fucks with Bill Pepper.
[close]

didn't they call pepper "most annoying skater" or something and he was angry about this which caused him to storm the thrasher office looking for phelps?
[close]
right. because nobody fucks with Bill Pepper

And I couldn't find that 411 trick tip, but I DID find out there apparently is a band called "Billy pepper and the pepper pots" which is almost as cool.

What did Frank Hirata do to get the ban? I'm pretty sure I know most of the stories but Frank and Choppy Omega. Jamie fucked the wrong girl, Danny Gonzalez tried to sue, Pepper socked out Phelps. Interestingly, being banned seems to guarantee your place in skateboard history more than it eliminates it, in a strange way.
edit: Was Hirata because of the shitty parks?
[close]
Yeah I think you mentioned both events that got Hirata the ban. From what I hear, it was really his girlfriend that was the driving force behind him being a kook and threatening to sue. Initially it was that he wrote this "gimpy" poem (Phelps' words) for an interview and Phelps and co. changed it, which pissed off the girlfriend and she convinced Hirata to threaten the mag. Then he built all those horrible skateparks and made a bunch of money.

There was a "5 days of Hate" thing on the Thrasher site where Phelps was going to rant about different skaters he disliked. They aired the Hirata one and then took it down the next day and no other episodes followed. I can't remember much about what he said beyond the bad skateparks.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2016, 07:48:28 AM »
Funnily enough, Thrasher gave a positive review to one of Hirata's parks in 98 or 99...
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

shit_for_brains

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2016, 08:47:53 AM »
Everyone should hate Frank Hirata for skating to a song he recorded that just said his own name over and over and over and over.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3313
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2016, 08:53:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I remember that one. Was just finishing up some of those free wahoos tacos and then Rowley went on attack.

I wonder if these two things are inextricably related in this story?

whaaaaat

• Rep: 47
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2016, 09:38:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
i imagine phelps has a casting couch for all skaters that want the cover of thrasher. rowley was drunk and got the courage to tell off his abuser and all the fellow victims cheered him on for standing up to the evil mr. phelps
[close]

[close]

[close]

True.  I had the impression that it happened shortly after extremely sorry came out and Rowley had high hopes that they were gonna give the award to David.  This is just shit I heard through the grapevine though.   

Yeah, I don't really know the full story - it was dark and crowded in the warehouse and it escalated and ended super quick.  I think Phelps was trying to get all of the SOTY's together for a photo and it was a sort of 'herding cats' situation, being managed by an old drunk.  It was the sort of fight you get in with your friend when you've both been drinking too much and somebody says something stupid and by the time you're done fighting you've already forgotten what you were fighting about.  I think.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2016, 10:13:41 AM »
Richard Paez socked Phelps and knocked him off a barstool for calling him 'Hamburger Jr' and got the cover a few years later.

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2016, 11:02:46 AM »
Its always ok to punch the Phelper. In middle school my friend got that trick tip video, we had a good laugh how Phelp's "trick" was how to slam safely. Like all he can chime in is how to fall off a skateboard.

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
  • A mystery wrapped inside a Twinkie
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2016, 11:16:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
wasn't it indy and he was stuck w/ an independent tat? then he came back w/ that fire heavy metal part to 'i will survive' back when he still filmed flip tricks. 'wasn't thrasher the ones who tried to break me w/ these lies would i crumble? would i lay down and die?'
Yes! I totally fucked that up, you're right it was Indy and I totally remember now thinking how fucked is that Independent tattoo now?
Thanks for refresher.

Eric ricks

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2016, 11:24:11 AM »
Richard Paez socked Phelps and knocked him off a barstool for calling him 'Hamburger Jr' and got the cover a few years later.

If that didnt kill phelps nothing will.

Paez bros are two guys I would not wanna fuck with

Andrew

• Rep: 100
  • lightcatcher
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2016, 12:08:16 PM »
HE LOOKED COOKED AS FUCK AT BUST OR BAIL

i'm pretty sure he came out of the womb cooked as fuck
The only thing you nerds grind down is yer keyboard keys.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2016, 12:27:36 PM »
Expand Quote
HE LOOKED COOKED AS FUCK AT BUST OR BAIL
[close]

i'm pretty sure he came out of the womb cooked as fuck
Zorched baby

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2016, 12:40:13 PM »
I loved Thrasher, but man I can't stand Phelps. Talks way too much and can not hold a conversation without namedropping constantly...

'Hey Jake how are you bro?'

- 'Man i've been fucking good! I just came home from San Fraaaaaaan kid!!!!!  Y'know the city where Cardiel did the epic 50-50. He was showing how fast he was going. I love Cardiel!!!! And it was stylish as fuck dude. You get it! Bust or bail kid!"

*sigh*

But on a more serious note: Wasn't Hirata banned because he designed a bunch of shitty skateparks? I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that was part of it. And because he was pretentious dude that later changed his name to Frank 'Garcia' Hirata.

Was Choppy the guy from Natural Koncepts by the way? He was good though...

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 457
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2016, 12:42:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If that didnt kill phelps nothing will.

Paez bros are two guys I would not wanna fuck with

They're gentle souls

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2016, 01:09:22 PM »
I loved Thrasher, but man I can't stand Phelps. Talks way too much and can not hold a conversation without namedropping constantly...

'Hey Jake how are you bro?'

- 'Man i've been fucking good! I just came home from San Fraaaaaaan kid!!!!!  Y'know the city where Cardiel did the epic 50-50. He was showing how fast he was going. I love Cardiel!!!! And it was stylish as fuck dude. You get it! Bust or bail kid!"

*sigh*

But on a more serious note: Wasn't Hirata banned because he designed a bunch of shitty skateparks? I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that was part of it. And because he was pretentious dude that later changed his name to Frank 'Garcia' Hirata.

Was Choppy the guy from Natural Koncepts by the way? He was good though...
That's not how Jake talks. Its more like.
"Hey Jake! How you been?"
*mean mugs*
"Jake?"
"Fuck you." *mean mugs more*
*you drop in and do a line*
"YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!! GRRRRRRRR!!!!!"
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2016, 02:10:14 PM »
haha. That's him before coffee ;-)

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2016, 02:44:52 PM »
Hirata was banned for a few things, i think he had done some lame shit a few times, then he had the interview where he sent in the poem and evidently it was really lame, so Thrasher re-wrote the poem and he got all pissed off and tried to sue them for changing it. I think the whole reason he got that interview in the first place was Thrasher was trying to squash some prior beef with him and the interview was the olive branch. Hirata has always been know as a bit of a kook, the main reason his career actually worked is that he was one Swift's favorite skaters, so he was constantly in Transworld, there was a joke in transworld that said something like this'll just give Swift another excuse to put Frank Hirata on the cover again.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2016, 02:58:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

well SOTY that year was Chris Cole, who's got his arm around Rowley so probably not.  I only thought Daveed was in contention when he dropped that web part. I must have blocked out that ES part bc of that bullshit with him holding up a dead pigeon and spitting in its face

Heather Chandler

« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2016, 12:03:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Phelps gave Busenitz permission to punch him because he almost killed him in a car accident.
Billy Pepper punched Phelper because apparently, nobody fucks with Bill Pepper.
[close]

didn't they call pepper "most annoying skater" or something and he was angry about this which caused him to storm the thrasher office looking for phelps?
[close]
right. because nobody fucks with Bill Pepper

And I couldn't find that 411 trick tip, but I DID find out there apparently is a band called "Billy pepper and the pepper pots" which is almost as cool.

What did Frank Hirata do to get the ban? I'm pretty sure I know most of the stories but Frank and Choppy Omega. Jamie fucked the wrong girl, Danny Gonzalez tried to sue, Pepper socked out Phelps. Interestingly, being banned seems to guarantee your place in skateboard history more than it eliminates it, in a strange way.
edit: Was Hirata because of the shitty parks?
[close]
Yeah I think you mentioned both events that got Hirata the ban. From what I hear, it was really his girlfriend that was the driving force behind him being a kook and threatening to sue. Initially it was that he wrote this "gimpy" poem (Phelps' words) for an interview and Phelps and co. changed it, which pissed off the girlfriend and she convinced Hirata to threaten the mag. Then he built all those horrible skateparks and made a bunch of money.
[close]

There was a "5 days of Hate" thing on the Thrasher site where Phelps was going to rant about different skaters he disliked. They aired the Hirata one and then took it down the next day and no other episodes followed. I can't remember much about what he said beyond the bad skateparks.

And then didn't they do that video where Phelps said he was fired.  That whole thing was weird, seems like he got scolded for that one.  The 5 were Hirata, Omega, Pepper, D.Gonzalez, and Benji Galloway...yes?

spliffMODE

• Rep: 5
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2016, 02:29:22 AM »
I wonder what Billy Pepper is doing right now?
I worked with his cousin at a burger joint here in Colorado. Says he still lives in Napa Valley and skates all the time. I believe he even helped design the park there.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 05:01:36 AM by spliffMODE »