Author Topic: Mike Carroll on the future of Crailtap  (Read 397501 times)

stevedave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Mike Carroll on the future of Crailtap
« Reply #180 on: May 17, 2016, 02:25:43 PM »
Expand Quote
One COULD argue that MJ's thinking was "wait, so you want ME to take a pay cut, and not go forward with a lucrative offer, so YOU can make MORE money off of my shoe??"
[close]

Sure. But isn't Carroll saying that they agreed to a timeline that MJ then ignored? Also, wouldn't MJ still get royalties off of his Lakai shoe during this agreed upon period. Also, if you want to leave on good terms, MJ wouldn't stick Lakai with a bunch of inventory that they will have to eat. They just released the Jenkem colorway a few weeks ago.

he alluded to the fact that he sent an agreement to MJ, but clearly MJ didn't send it back or agree to it.  And I was just playing devil's advocate.
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #181 on: May 17, 2016, 02:28:52 PM »
Expand Quote
I think Girl, Chocolate decks, and pairs of Lakai's are in my future.
[close]

I keep seeing these type of posts, which no offense, are hilariously dumb. It takes all this drama for you to start supporting Crailtap with your dollar again? Where was all this financial support the last 5 years for Crailtap? Maybe they wouldn't be in such a cash crunch if you always put your money where your mouth is.

Like Augustmoon posted, MC gave one side of the story and it's an odd coincidence that 3 big names with a shoe are gone from Lakai and (now) 3 big names are gone from the board brands. Not saying MJ doesn't have his own issues, which I have always believed to be true.
MC admitted they had to cut peoples pay. I'm sure that was a massive contributor to why these 3 big names left.

I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Nate

• Rep: 41
« Reply #182 on: May 17, 2016, 02:32:06 PM »

What are you gonna do with that upcoming Marc Johnson Lakai product? What does a company usually do when this sort of thing happens?
Send it all to his fucking house, COD with a fucking strap on, and no vaseline. Well what we�re gonna do now, first things first, I�m gonna kick him off Chocolate. I�m not gonna text him, so he can read this or someone can tell him. Maybe he�s already quit in his mind, who knows. Marc, is kicked off of Chocolate as of right now. We�ll deal with whatever we have to deal with. Shoe wise� we have a lot of shoe production in the works� Normally when this happens to companies we�d usually take legal action, but that�s something we think is not in our character to do. But I�m starting to consider it, but that�s not really on the top of our priority list.

I'll buy some shoes from you Marc. I just really want to hear what Marc has to say about all this, I'm sure its not as black and white as Carroll makes it out to be.

Also what was the IG post that Chocolate already removed?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 02:34:19 PM by Nate »

HungUp

• Rep: 40
« Reply #183 on: May 17, 2016, 02:32:32 PM »
MC Talking about what that Kasper dude did at the end of the interview almost confirms what Sporting-company apologists keep denying. The shoe companies are powerful enough now to be trading dudes between board companies because a marketing guy in a cubicle has drawn up an "image plan strategy" for a "hot new prospect" or some bullshit like that.

THIIIIIIIIIISSSS!!!

brwrxstl

• Rep: -71
    • Tumblr avatar image
« Reply #184 on: May 17, 2016, 02:35:16 PM »
Cherry picking a single quote out of a whole paragraph I see.

Expand Quote
They have been hitting Marc up for years. He was courteous enough years ago to let us know they offered him something, and we were able to match it at that time. It was all good. I don�t think it was something he wanted to do at the time, he wanted to stay on Lakai.

Financially, as everyone knows, in recent years, it has been rough. We had to do some things financially and rearrange and lower some people�s pay, him being included. But he was understanding and we talked about it.

Then recently, we had to make more financial decisions and he was going to be affected again. For years he was greatly paid and we did our best to not touch him at all. Even throughout the financial struggles, we didn�t make any pay cuts to him while other ones were going down. He was highly protected when it came to that stuff, but it came to a point where there was nowhere else to cut.

We had to reduce pay and I just told him, you know what, this sucks. You�ve been in this for fucking years, putting your all into it, blood, sweat and tears and I wouldn�t feel comfortable asking you to stick around. We talked for a while, and I knew he was going to go skate for them. Everybody started talking about the rumors again, but it was a mutual thing and fully respectful. It was a sad moment. It sucked for me to have to tell him that, and to have to say, �You should probably take a better offer,� because these motherfuckers are coming at you all crazy. He�s almost 40 years old, I think at this age you should go get yours. And if he was gonna stay on, I didn�t want him to be resentful for the decision.

I sent him a termination agreement over a month ago and in that agreement we asked him to hold off a while from announcing because we had our product and the agreement was to protect us and the production. But I told him I was open to talk about the agreement and change anything. We asked him to keep it on the low for a while.
[close]

Buddy, I only needed to "cherrypick' the part you claimed wasn't in there.

Look, he wanted more money so he got more money, they asked if he'd take a paycut and he did, and then he wasn't happy so he split.
But the point is that he did take a paycut or at least agreed to one.

JamesFardy

• Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #185 on: May 17, 2016, 02:35:43 PM »
Mike Carroll SOTY 2016.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #186 on: May 17, 2016, 02:38:28 PM »
imagine all the financial information and Lakai emails/communications that will be available to the public if Crail sues MJ ... does California have an electronic docket? or am I going to have to pay someone to make a ton of copies?  

MJ's lawyer had better ask for that lost Ty part in discovery!!!

hardly art, hardly starving

sluggers

• Rep: -405
« Reply #187 on: May 17, 2016, 02:39:35 PM »
I love the Gonz and Busenitz, but no more Adidas shoes for me.

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #188 on: May 17, 2016, 02:43:27 PM »
MJ on Krooked ?!

rideflannel

« Reply #189 on: May 17, 2016, 02:44:14 PM »
Look, brwxstl, you are responding as though Mike Carroll is pissed and/or bitter that MJ left for adidas. Reading the interview that isn't the case. No one is blaming MJ for wanting to go out and get a better deal. Mike Carroll said, You�ve been in this for fucking years, putting your all into it, blood, sweat and tears and I wouldn�t feel comfortable asking you to stick around.

The problem is the way MJ executed his departure. So I could totally see why Mike Carroll would be fucking pissed.

LOU.502

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
  • rawr
« Reply #190 on: May 17, 2016, 02:51:11 PM »
Is this MJ's response?

^This dude's either been drinking or he's not nearly as clever as he thinks he is. I wish I could give Mike Carroll a big ol hug, pat him on the back, get him a double scoop ice cream cone and tell him it's gonna be okay. Mike's crail goons must be finna take him to the clubhouse. "You bout to get yo shit fully flared FORREAL Marc..."

im probably lying

swag nollies

« Reply #191 on: May 17, 2016, 02:53:29 PM »
Carroll seems jelly. They should fight.

bottom feeder

• Rep: -1
« Reply #192 on: May 17, 2016, 02:55:26 PM »
I bet Nike and Adidas have skate stopped ledges at their headquarters.
This is the best comment.  100% this.  

Eric ricks

« Reply #193 on: May 17, 2016, 02:57:08 PM »
Meh, it is what it is.

Just gonna sit back and enjoy the drama

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #194 on: May 17, 2016, 03:00:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How many times were you invited to skate the Crail park? Just sayin

peacepappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -96
  • tae-tae
« Reply #195 on: May 17, 2016, 03:03:54 PM »
carrolls respone is about as legit as his smith grinds

i think a departure by lakai and the crail camp from skateboarindg will be the final straw on the mass sporting goods companys taking over skateboarding.
ohyeahohyeah

Plop

« Reply #196 on: May 17, 2016, 03:08:53 PM »
on a positive note...
"I am stoked to have Yonnie on the squad. He's got an original style. Someone you want to roll the streets with" -Rickk Howard

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2197
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #197 on: May 17, 2016, 03:10:39 PM »
Is this MJ's response?

Obviously not since that photo was posted 5 days ago. But I was gonna post that as a perfect example of why I could never understand why anyone thought MJ was funny or cool. So painfully lame. Definitely one of the most amazing skaters ever, but the dude's an idiot. Making a corny ass face and dumb voice every time the camera's pointed at him. "Hey watch me smoke cigs and check out how smart my books are." How many times can you pretend you're rowing a boat on your skateboard?

He's a fraction funnier than Jimmy Carlin, which is a severely insulting statement.

the end times

• Rep: -4
« Reply #198 on: May 17, 2016, 03:12:07 PM »
Back to enjoi with Jerry.

bottom feeder

• Rep: -1
« Reply #199 on: May 17, 2016, 03:13:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
How many times were you invited to skate the Crail park? Just sayin
Ha, got me dude.  Never.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #200 on: May 17, 2016, 03:13:57 PM »
imagine all the financial information and Lakai emails/communications that will be available to the public if Crail sues MJ ... does California have an electronic docket? or am I going to have to pay someone to make a ton of copies? ��

MJ's lawyer had better ask for that lost Ty part in discovery!!!

I can't speak for Cali but typically discovery items are only posted on the ecf if they are attached to a filing that gets posted on the ecf. Also it would be dumb to sue mj alone (although even if there was no contract there is a detrimental reliance claim). You go for the deeper pockets- in this case adidas for a tortious interference claim. Which would also bring out the far more interesting adidas emails about mj and a good timeline about what happened when.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

labor

• Rep: -39
« Reply #201 on: May 17, 2016, 03:14:55 PM »
I have so much to say on this topic, but I'll try and keep it limited.

1) Mike Carroll is such an important part of skating. I don't think a lot of people understand (1) his importance to developing modern street skating and (2) how important the formation of Girl Skateboards/Crailtap was to the aesthetic that so many skaters pretend to care about. They made modern street skating and made it about skater values.

(2) I think people undervalue how important Girl Skateboards/Crailtap was to solidifying/creating peoples' careers. Yes, people like Marc Johnson, Alex Olson and Guy Mariano and so forth are very talented skaters. But there are a lot of talented skaters. What often separates star caliber skaters from others is there sponsors. In particular, the board company you rode for - and videos you were able to skate in -  in the 1990s-2000s was the most important signifier of your marketability. It is what made these riders such big targets for the masses and targets for the big shoe companies. It was the platform. In MJ's case, it made him "cool" in skate parlance. I don't think some of the younger folks realize that Marc was always a very talented skater but that his move to chocolate/lakai is what made him "skate cool."

(3) Crailtap, more than any other company, has given its riders so much leeway to fuckup and do their own thing. Gino and Guy had substance abuse issues and were off their boards for years. Crailtap allowed them to come back and stay relevant. To lesser extent, Marc was also afforded the opportunity to fuck up (drinking) and stay on the program. A lot of other companies would have been quick to drop these guys. And in the case of Gino and Guy, as much as you and I may love them, when you dont skate for 5 years, most employers dont stick by you, and without that platform, you are just a great, former skate star. Even if you get second tier sponsors, it all starts to unravel.

(4) Carroll has always been very reserved. For him to pop off like this likely means that MJ just fucked up - big time. It sounds like Carroll was very cool with letting him transition to Adidas but wanted to do it in an appropriate way to keep the company - that supported Marc when he was drinking in the woods - rolling. Marc, for whatever reason, blew him completely off. Again, Carroll does not blast people like this on purpose. It's clear that MJ was a piece of shit.

(5) Carroll is an OG and SF/Daly City street kid. He's not gonna take this shit. For all the people bitching about "you shouldnt air this out in public," fuck you. Carroll not only got this guy on crail, gave him a platform, but then was totally willing to help him transition to Adidas. Did MJ keep "private?" Fuck no, he changed shoe sponsors on the big screen at the biggest video premier of the year. Basically, after all those years, he straight up lied to Carrroll and ducked him. Carroll, unlike MJ, is not an egomaniac or self-important; he's a stand up dude who's track record in skating and business speaks much louder than MJs mouth.

(6) While there may be a lot of reasons people have left, at least for the big shoe guys, its clear money was the big factor. This is not hard to see. Olson's reasons for leaving the brand were a bit different, as he has alluded to.

I ride with Carroll.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 03:17:30 PM by labor »

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #202 on: May 17, 2016, 03:15:45 PM »

I dont see the connection between Adidas and MJ not sticking to his words. The bad character here is MJ and not adidas. If he told lakai "hey, i'm sorry but i cant delay the departure since they want to annouce me on the away days premiere" all would be cool, but he choose to lie about it and thats lame. Blame him.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #203 on: May 17, 2016, 03:20:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I dont see the connection between Adidas and MJ not sticking to his words. The bad character here is MJ and not adidas. If he told lakai "hey, i'm sorry but i cant delay the departure since they want to annouce me on the away days premiere" all would be cool, but he choose to lie about it and thats lame. Blame him.

What if we brought up that adidas is a nazi company who made the boots for the Wehrmacht? Would that help?
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

EARL***THE***PEARL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -109
  • MR.MADN3SSS LOVES YOU... NT MM
« Reply #204 on: May 17, 2016, 03:23:32 PM »
Damn MC letting out some of that old EMB.

I back him and his straight forwardness... these are weird times in skateboarding.

I go to these newer parks in the Suburbs and I see 2 different kinds of skateboarders- a small handful of good homies skating, and then these Sport-Check looking dudes fucking training away... all padded up and Niked out it's just odd to me.  Either way it's not going to stop me from how I skate or why I skate... I just find it fucking odd... hope the best for the  Crailcamp.

lol at Carroll calling the Nike dude a straight up kook hahahhahahahaha

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • PHILA
« Reply #205 on: May 17, 2016, 03:25:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

What if we brought up that adidas is a nazi company who made the boots for the Wehrmacht? Would that help?

at least those nazi's were looking sharp, shoutout Hugo Boss

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #206 on: May 17, 2016, 03:25:30 PM »
I don't know how to feel about bigger companies and marketing. I've always been into the design and aesthetic of Adidas and really like the blazers but now what? I feel bad for these companies and I've seen my family's small businesses suffer from large companies so it just makes me hesitate now.

Any suggestions? I really like the Leo's and I'm really liking the HUF 2's.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #207 on: May 17, 2016, 03:27:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Is this MJ's response?

[close]

Obviously not since that photo was posted 5 days ago

The premier was five days ago. And it sounds like there was drama leading right up this post.

Either way, I agree with your assessment of his comedy.

BMCsteve

« Reply #208 on: May 17, 2016, 03:32:24 PM »
Damn MC letting out some of that old EMB.

I back him and his straight forwardness... these are weird times in skateboarding.

I go to these newer parks in the Suburbs and I see 2 different kinds of skateboarders- a small handful of good homies skating, and then these Sport-Check looking dudes fucking training away... all padded up and Niked out it's just odd to me.  Either way it's not going to stop me from how I skate or why I skate... I just find it fucking odd... hope the best for the  Crailcamp.

He could skate back in the day though.  Not that it excuses his current kookdom

https://vimeo.com/4678681

whaaaaat

• Rep: 49
« Reply #209 on: May 17, 2016, 03:34:42 PM »

Haha for real.  Obviously the MC/MJ 'beef' is the story here, but let's not forget this part.  Dude definitely sounds like a kook.  I'd be interested if there were more stories along this line - I'm sure there are plenty.