Author Topic: Mike Carroll on the future of Crailtap  (Read 398050 times)

SodaJerk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
Re: Mike Carroll on the future of Crailtap
« Reply #840 on: May 20, 2016, 07:04:54 AM »
Fire sale

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #841 on: May 20, 2016, 07:13:32 AM »
^^^BWAHAHAH.....
 That's gold Jerry! Gold!

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #842 on: May 20, 2016, 07:21:33 AM »
^^^^^^^Brilliant^^^^^^^

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 489
« Reply #843 on: May 20, 2016, 07:21:45 AM »
^^ hahahahaha amazing.

also, bumping this:

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
Ahahah man so funny. I really hope Carroll sees this.
[close]
So, who is going to post it on IG and tag Marc? Shit is too funny!
Also, I'm interested to see where he ends up board sponsorwis. Kookston and Guy's new project (if it ever happens)?
[close]
[close]
[close]

this has to be on every page, at least once

it's a shame that it was back on page 17

props to iceman

Cliff Kaufman

• Rep: 7
« Reply #844 on: May 20, 2016, 07:31:42 AM »
If I'd known this was how it was gonna turn out, I would've never done that kickflip.

coneklr

« Reply #845 on: May 20, 2016, 07:58:00 AM »
If I'd known this was how it was gonna turn out, I would've never done that kickflip.

I laughed ... have a gnar

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #846 on: May 20, 2016, 08:14:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The fact that Daewon is two years older than Marc makes me want to quit drinking.

[close]

Doesn't MJ also smoke cigs heavily?
[close]

the two shittest beanies in skateboarding

Tom Asta is commander in chief of the shitty beanie brigade.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 875
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #847 on: May 20, 2016, 08:15:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The fact that Daewon is two years older than Marc makes me want to quit drinking.

[close]

[close]

[close]

Tom Asta Billy Marks is commander in chief of the shitty beanie brigade.

Mostly cuz he wore one at his wedding

slutonparade

• Rep: 26
« Reply #848 on: May 20, 2016, 08:25:53 AM »
marc has a prescription beanie.  he's bald and on antibiotics for his adult acne and it makes him sensitive to the sun.  he just does not want to burn.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #849 on: May 20, 2016, 08:26:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I laughed ... have a gnar

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 381
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #850 on: May 20, 2016, 08:27:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Remember a while back when MJ had an article in a mag telling people never to eat honey because it contained bee antibodies that would destroy your immune system?!!! Hahaha, fuck, no scientific facts, just complete horse shit oozing from his mouth
[close]
That was wack.� He said something like, "Honey is one of the worst things you can put into your body."� He always comes off like some pseudo intellectual that read some books but didn't graduate high school.� Amazing skateboarder though.� Between his look and the incoherent points, I got some type of drug/stimulant vibe from that interview.� C'mon Marc, you're better than that.� I you're going to get that Adidas check, please get yourself on track and put out a killer welcome part.
[close]

OK someone link this interview for me, I haven't heard that before and it sounds full blown person.

I don't think it was a full-blown interview. If I'm remembering correctly, it's from an early issue of TSM, when they used to have people write small little articles/lists/blurbs to fill the front half of each issue.  He was like sharing his top "health tips" because he was super into eating healthy at the time. I think the logic was like "You're not supposed to give honey to babies (which is actually true), so why is it ok for adults to eat it?"

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #851 on: May 20, 2016, 08:34:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Remember a while back when MJ had an article in a mag telling people never to eat honey because it contained bee antibodies that would destroy your immune system?!!! Hahaha, fuck, no scientific facts, just complete horse shit oozing from his mouth
[close]
That was wack.� He said something like, "Honey is one of the worst things you can put into your body."� He always comes off like some pseudo intellectual that read some books but didn't graduate high school.� Amazing skateboarder though.� Between his look and the incoherent points, I got some type of drug/stimulant vibe from that interview.� C'mon Marc, you're better than that.� I you're going to get that Adidas check, please get yourself on track and put out a killer welcome part.
[close]

OK someone link this interview for me, I haven't heard that before and it sounds full blown person.
[close]

I don't think it was a full-blown interview. If I'm remembering correctly, it's from an early issue of TSM, when they used to have people write small little articles/lists/blurbs to fill the front half of each issue.  He was like sharing his top "health tips" because he was super into eating healthy at the time. I think the logic was like "You're not supposed to give honey to babies (which is actually true), so why is it ok for adults to eat it?"
Honey can definitely be bad for young kids

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #852 on: May 20, 2016, 08:35:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
keep swallowing nike's sperm and addidas's fresh turds, you fucking kooks. tastes good, don't it? and you won't stop until you have their dicks permanently implanted in your asses, because "these sneakers look fresh. I feel like I'm michael jordan on a skateboard."
[close]

Dude how old are you? Having genuine concern over the coreness of a shoe brand is so fucking childish.
[close]

and falling into idol worship created by clever marketing is not childish? it's the definition of childish. adults don't wear fancy sneakers that look cool because they saw a really cool ad with their favorite athlete doing something awesome. 
[close]

well said
[close]

they are better shoes.
[close]

i may be alone on this but i genuinely don't like them at all. there are two different issues on the two brands. for nikes, i think they are like boots, with soles that are very thick in relation to the upper and i am hating the fact that their shoes look like runners. for adidas, the extremely high achille's support that they tend to do causes tendonitis on me. i have been skating the dc coles and the dvs chicos for the last few years with absolutely no issues

edit. i dont wanna turn this almost adidas thread into a nike thread
I skated Adidas Chewy Cannons once, they were pretty good, I liked 'em. Skated Dunks back in I think 2010 when I was a little gromlet kook. Hated them, went back to my old shoes. As for the whole coreness shit. I'm totally down with that, I mean yeah corporations tend to make better shoes because they have more money to put into research and shit; but the short of it is that they put smaller shoe companies (Fallen, eS until recently) and small skate shops out of business.  That's the short answer, not really gonna get into it since I don't wanna divert the thread. eliteskater08 Skate Speech posted a interesting video on the subject the other day, can't link it right now thanks to the network firewall, I'll try a bit later.

EDIT: Found it

« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 09:50:39 AM by planman »

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

I_Respect_Wood

• Rep: 11
    • HH avatar image
« Reply #853 on: May 20, 2016, 09:06:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
That would definitely be a factor as well, but that's not to take away from Daewon's gift of good looks. He reminds me of this episode of Eerie Indiana a long time ago where this family slept in tupperware containers and only aged at half the rate of other people.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0569394/

You wont belive but I remember that episode.
If I wasnt me, I never hang out with me...

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/new-york-supreme-ben-kadow-qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T">via GIPHY</a></p>

phillip dominguez

• Rep: 15
« Reply #854 on: May 20, 2016, 09:17:51 AM »
My take is Carrolls pissed because they were going to unload a bunch of shoes to shops, knowing full well the "press release" or whatever that MJ was leaving within 2 months.  Then those shops "core" or mall stores are stuck with the shit they have to put on the sale rack.  Hey at least Crailtap isn't sitting on a bunch of dead stock though right?  MJ  definitely didn't handle this right,  however they knew he was gone for bigger money, and blasted every website and shop to unload what they knew would be worthless inventory once the Adidas thing came to light.  Fuck the shops though, feel bad for us for going into production on a shoe we knew wouldn't be around, running a ton of ads pushing you all to buy them, so we're all good over here when you're stuck with the product you can't even sell at what you bought it for.  Just my opinion.  

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #855 on: May 20, 2016, 09:24:27 AM »
As other people have noted, those shops' orders and Lakai's production of his shoes aren't happening within those extra two or three months that Carroll asked for.  They happened 6+ months ago.  So it makes sense to ask him to stay so they can help move that cycle and both shops and Crail could recoup at least some of the production, shipping, and storing costs.

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #856 on: May 20, 2016, 09:27:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

I don't think it was a full-blown interview. If I'm remembering correctly, it's from an early issue of TSM, when they used to have people write small little articles/lists/blurbs to fill the front half of each issue. �He was like sharing his top "health tips" because he was super into eating healthy at the time. I think the logic was like "You're not supposed to give honey to babies (which is actually true), so why is it ok for adults to eat it?"
[close]
Honey can definitely be bad for young kids

totally. symptoms may include; sharp pounding in the rectum and psychological problems.

Coenobita

« Reply #857 on: May 20, 2016, 10:43:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
keep swallowing nike's sperm and addidas's fresh turds, you fucking kooks. tastes good, don't it? and you won't stop until you have their dicks permanently implanted in your asses, because "these sneakers look fresh. I feel like I'm michael jordan on a skateboard."
[close]

Dude how old are you? Having genuine concern over the coreness of a shoe brand is so fucking childish.
[close]

and falling into idol worship created by clever marketing is not childish? it's the definition of childish. adults don't wear fancy sneakers that look cool because they saw a really cool ad with their favorite athlete doing something awesome. 
[close]

well said
[close]

they are better shoes.
[close]

i may be alone on this but i genuinely don't like them at all. there are two different issues on the two brands. for nikes, i think they are like boots, with soles that are very thick in relation to the upper and i am hating the fact that their shoes look like runners. for adidas, the extremely high achille's support that they tend to do causes tendonitis on me. i have been skating the dc coles and the dvs chicos for the last few years with absolutely no issues

[close]
I skated Adidas Chewy Cannons once, they were pretty good, I liked 'em. Skated Dunks back in I think 2010 when I was a little gromlet kook. Hated them, went back to my old shoes. As for the whole coreness shit. I'm totally down with that, I mean yeah corporations tend to make better shoes because they have more money to put into research and shit; but the short of it is that they put smaller shoe companies (Fallen, eS until recently) and small skate shops out of business.  That's the short answer, not really gonna get into it since I don't wanna divert the thread. eliteskater08 Skate Speech posted a interesting video on the subject the other day, can't link it right now thanks to the network firewall, I'll try a bit later.

The only interesting thing about Skate Speech is his shitty facial hair.

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #858 on: May 20, 2016, 11:43:51 AM »
I agree that MJ's ''I've got ideas and Lakai can't keep up with them'' sounds very douchey, but what has Lakai done in the recent years to try to get people more excited about them? They're filming for a fucking video that's probably gonna take another three years to come out.

If your company has been going downhill for almost a decade then it's time to try some new approaches. Could be a hit or a miss, but it's better than just slowly dying while hoping that somehow miraculously people are gonna get stoked on your brand again.

zippy z

« Reply #859 on: May 20, 2016, 12:13:39 PM »
What a nut riding goober. Who needs that turd to summarize the Internet for them?

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

well said
[close]

they are better shoes.
[close]

[close]

[close]

The only interesting thing about Skate Speech is his shitty facial hair.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #860 on: May 20, 2016, 01:41:51 PM »
I agree that MJ's ''I've got ideas and Lakai can't keep up with them'' sounds very douchey, but what has Lakai done in the recent years to try to get people more excited about them?

To be fair, I wouldn't be accepting advice on how to run a company from an alcoholic who has evidently (this is a word that means that there is evidence behind this statement, for those of you who have poor reading comprehension) fallen off of the wagon.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #861 on: May 20, 2016, 01:53:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Tom Asta Billy Marks is commander in chief of the shitty beanie brigade.
[close]

Mostly cuz he wore one at his wedding
lol

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #862 on: May 20, 2016, 02:14:00 PM »
Billy Marks married Monica Gellar?

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 257

Still Tippin

• Rep: -33
« Reply #864 on: May 20, 2016, 02:19:02 PM »
I agree that MJ's ''I've got ideas and Lakai can't keep up with them'' sounds very douchey, but what has Lakai done in the recent years to try to get people more excited about them? They're filming for a fucking video that's probably gonna take another three years to come out
Lakai as a company hasn't been up to much, sure, but their riders are all pretty productive and killing it. for whatever reason, that doesn't have the same effect for their brand as someone who's skating consistently and putting shit out that's branded for Nike or adidas. of course they would benefit from more random webclips like most other companies do, but that's just not the crailtap way. they're about the full lengths that blow everything else out of the water. that to me is the biggest way they've "failed to adapt" to the current market and probably a big reason of why they're not doing so well, aside from the altamont partnership. there's less visibility of them as a brand, which is what is essential these days. it doesn't even have to be so in your face, just anything. you also have to consider how much smaller their team is compared to these giants, so that's a reason why they seem to have less going on...

as far as product, the staple and the new soccer looking sillho that they're putting out are both great looking shoes, but needed the right type of promotional backing.

adidas' shoes are really not that far ahead of the curve in terms of technology and comfort comparatively. the og adi-ease is a floppy POS after a few sessions (havent tried the updated one but doubt its much better), the same with the seeley, the matchcourt was a classic brought in solely for the purposes of staying on trend and isn't particularly comfortable or durable, the silas SLR was a fresh looking shoe but took forever to break in and gave me achilles tendon problems. i could go on but i'll digress. the only shoe i tried from them so far that i wanted another pair of was the OG lucas because it was durable due to the sprintskin under the suede, and it never flopped out on me. if we're talking corpo shoe cos that are actually doing "progressive" things when it comes to footwear product only, nike has them beat by a mile.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #865 on: May 20, 2016, 03:16:07 PM »
And what happens to Nike's "progressive" shoes?  They generally get dropped after a season or two.

Still Tippin

• Rep: -33
« Reply #866 on: May 20, 2016, 03:28:09 PM »
And what happens to Nike's "progressive" shoes?  They generally get dropped after a season or two.
yup true, they fuck up on that a lot but they're always doing something new in replacement. koston 3 is a great shoe. haven't tried the new bruin but the one before it was amazing, i'm sure it's only improved with the hyperfeel sole.

zippy z

« Reply #867 on: May 20, 2016, 05:59:07 PM »
I was at the shop today. The MJ's have a sew on label as the only MJ-specific branding. If Lakai can't sell the shoes with the label for some legal reason cut the damn things off and marker over MJ's name on the box. They can still sell the damn shoes. After Yonnie's GX part those shoes should get some traction.

labor

• Rep: -39
« Reply #868 on: May 20, 2016, 06:21:11 PM »
I was at the shop today. The MJ's have a sew on label as the only MJ-specific branding. If Lakai can't sell the shoes with the label for some legal reason cut the damn things off and marker over MJ's name on the box. They can still sell the damn shoes. After Yonnie's GX part those shoes should get some traction.

So you are proposing a professional business cut off a label and use marker to replace the preexisting emblem? And try and sell it? How old are you?

zippy z

« Reply #869 on: May 20, 2016, 06:28:17 PM »
Did you read the Jenkem interview the owner of Lakai gave? How old is he? Cut the label off and sell the shoes so you don't lose money. It's not rocket surgery.