Author Topic: Mike Carroll on the future of Crailtap  (Read 397488 times)

jpmulls

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
Re: Mike Carroll on the future of Crailtap
« Reply #1770 on: February 19, 2017, 07:17:03 PM »
I'll bet they spend an exorbitant amount of time discussing his new hat company.

SonictheHedgehog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #1771 on: February 19, 2017, 07:18:06 PM »
It's going down for real 🎶🎶
wash uffize drive me to firenze

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #1772 on: February 19, 2017, 07:35:15 PM »
I'll bet they spend an exorbitant amount of time discussing his new hat company.
a hat company is all fine and dandy but $40? really?

GinosGroceries

« Reply #1773 on: February 19, 2017, 07:36:02 PM »
OH yes. Can't wait for tomorrow.
i think this will be entertaining no matter what Marc says. These podcasts have been awesome

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #1774 on: February 19, 2017, 07:42:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
a hat company is all fine and dandy but $40? really?

On Shetler's podcast Marc talked about how he and Reynolds started the company just to give hats away for free/super cheap and thought that was sick. Actually got kind of excited when I heard they were for sale to the public until I saw those prices. :/

Plop

« Reply #1775 on: February 19, 2017, 10:13:56 PM »
August 2016: 3 calls and a day at the cafe, 5 & 1/2 hours of tape and a 110 page/43,000 word interview transcription. After you enjoy his @thenineclubshow episode this evening, you've got even more @marcjohnson to look forward to in the near future ... 😉 #workingonit #onehellofanedit #gimmeaminuteortwo #likeafinewine #sorrycandlesgotintheway #SOTY #onceaSOTYalwaysaSOTY #2017yearoftheMJ #marcjohnson #mj

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQuNEruFWvi/?hl=en

jpmulls

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1776 on: February 19, 2017, 10:25:20 PM »
August 2016: 3 calls and a day at the cafe, 5 & 1/2 hours of tape and a 110 page/43,000 word interview transcription. After you enjoy his @thenineclubshow episode this evening, you've got even more @marcjohnson to look forward to in the near future ... 😉 #workingonit #onehellofanedit #gimmeaminuteortwo #likeafinewine #sorrycandlesgotintheway #SOTY #onceaSOTYalwaysaSOTY #2017yearoftheMJ #marcjohnson #mj

Holy shit

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #1777 on: February 19, 2017, 10:27:23 PM »
August 2016: 3 calls and a day at the cafe, 5 & 1/2 hours of tape and a 110 page/43,000 word interview transcription. After you enjoy his @thenineclubshow episode this evening, you've got even more @marcjohnson to look forward to in the near future ... 😉 #workingonit #onehellofanedit #gimmeaminuteortwo #likeafinewine #sorrycandlesgotintheway #SOTY #onceaSOTYalwaysaSOTY #2017yearoftheMJ #marcjohnson

;D ;D ;D ;D

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #1778 on: February 19, 2017, 10:31:47 PM »
brink really is coming through with the whole story

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #1779 on: February 19, 2017, 10:38:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Holy shit

Fuck!!! hope he doesn't make an 8 min edit out of all this.

GinosGroceries

« Reply #1780 on: February 19, 2017, 10:50:00 PM »

Damnnnnn
This thread is going to hit 100 pages easy

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -29
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1781 on: February 19, 2017, 11:19:53 PM »
brink really is coming through with the whole story

Hope so. I like The Nine Club, it's really entertaining but it's all real nice, they never get into anything too serious. It's more like chatting among friends and that's their thing.

I have high hopes of this Brink's piece, though.

Andrew

• Rep: 100
  • lightcatcher
« Reply #1782 on: February 20, 2017, 12:11:09 AM »
The only thing you nerds grind down is yer keyboard keys.

frontsideindy

• Rep: -122
« Reply #1783 on: February 20, 2017, 12:38:01 AM »
Cant believe MJ is coming back with
mind blowing, or at least cool, positiv output-
skateboarding wise - nothing else i am interested in.

He is IMO on Mckay, Way, Berra, Lee Status.

But hey surprise me - get all in, in the name
of the three stripes...

Hardlyart

• Rep: -7
« Reply #1784 on: February 20, 2017, 01:58:58 AM »
He's got his support group (Ave and Guy) and is doing well in AA, so I hear.

nonstop29

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1785 on: February 20, 2017, 05:18:56 AM »
I hope my love for Carroll isn't tarnished by Brink's interview :'(

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1786 on: February 20, 2017, 06:16:58 AM »
Not sure why it's not on their YouTube but here it is:
http://www.thenineclub.com/the-nine-club-show-podcast/36-marc-johnson/2/19/2017

Righteous Victim

• Rep: 110
  • Get yourself looked at.
    • Letterboxd avatar image
« Reply #1787 on: February 20, 2017, 06:20:43 AM »
1 hour and 41 minutes.

tobey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1788 on: February 20, 2017, 06:21:21 AM »
I hope my love for Carroll isn't tarnished by Brink's interview :'(

I don't see how it would. Carroll told the truth even though it made his company look like shit, like not being able to pay riders and constantly making his top pros take pay cuts. He even told Marc to take the deal. Marc just ignored his good friend and boss at that time and was completely selfish and acting dumb as fuck. Like how would you not know you were going to be announced in the away days video when you filmed tricks for it? Marc fucked up and is an alcoholic so i wouldn't be surprised if he starts believing his own lies, hell i did that �

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #1789 on: February 20, 2017, 07:23:33 AM »
maybe it was his way of getting back at lakai for all the years he spent filming for fully flared.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433

dolphinstyle.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #1791 on: February 20, 2017, 07:53:16 AM »
1:21:22 is where the wohle issue is adressed
Look, I'm an individual within us, partaking in this business

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #1792 on: February 20, 2017, 08:03:46 AM »
My 2 cents:
- Mike Carroll/Lakai shouldn't expect their riders to stay when they are not getting paid what they are supposed to, at a time Nike/Adidas/Converse/New Balance has the funding to treat any skaters like a king.

- MJ was probably too overwhelmed with adult issues (alcohol, death of his mothers, debts) and probably some grudge to be able to negociate/talk peacefully with Lakai.

Skateboarding business is not what was it once was, and people running brand should understand that product quality is nowadays as important as marketing output.

In a perfect world MJ will be welcomed back on chocolate.

Alexactly

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • RIP
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1793 on: February 20, 2017, 08:18:36 AM »
[NPR Hushed Voice] - Yeah. Totally. Wow. Right, right, right.

Who's that dipshit in the middle? "Skate shoe companies make shitty shoes, Nike, Adidas and Converse make good shoes, I'm a fucking cocksucking fuckface space waster." Fuck him.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1794 on: February 20, 2017, 08:22:58 AM »
I posted this in the actual Nine Club thread but I'm gonna double dip.

It was a decent interview and I'm glad he finally addressed it, but nothing was really answered that we didn't already know. We know that he was asked to wait for his announcement, and we sorta have to assume that he agreed because otherwise why would Carroll wait until after the premiere to kick him off Chocolate and go off about it?

I don't really fault him for switching if things are really going poorly at Crailtap, but the whole controversy is how he went about it and this doesn't really answer any of it.

MaryhillVibe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
  • gfm
    • www.mudozine.com avatar image
« Reply #1795 on: February 20, 2017, 09:04:55 AM »
What I took from it was that he had a definite timeline as to when he would become a free agent (I think he said five months), so when the company that he was hoping to ride for at the end of that time asked for him to film tricks for a video, that had been three years in the making, he said yes to solidify that deal. If his leaving Lakai was as inevitable as was stated then I don't see it as that much of a problem. However, five months is a lifetime on the internet and it was equally inevitable that there would be backlash.

In summation; I have always liked his backside 360's, I have never found him particularly funny, and I am no more or less likely to buy addidas or lakai as a result of this whole debacle (not a nike reference).

tobey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1796 on: February 20, 2017, 09:18:20 AM »
[NPR Hushed Voice] - Yeah. Totally. Wow. Right, right, right.

Who's that dipshit in the middle? "Skate shoe companies make shitty shoes, Nike, Adidas and Converse make good shoes, I'm a fucking cocksucking fuckface space waster." Fuck him.

The one time i want Kelly to push the button was just to see his reaction to that statement

nonstop29

« Reply #1797 on: February 20, 2017, 09:40:34 AM »
My 2 cents:
- Mike Carroll/Lakai shouldn't expect their riders to stay when they are not getting paid what they are supposed to, at a time Nike/Adidas/Converse/New Balance has the funding to treat any skaters like a king.

- MJ was probably too overwhelmed with adult issues (alcohol, death of his mothers, debts) and probably some grudge to be able to negociate/talk peacefully with Lakai.

Skateboarding business is not what was it once was, and people running brand should understand that product quality is nowadays as important as marketing output.

In a perfect world MJ will be welcomed back on chocolate.

I understand, but people keep making this mistake. Everything was already apparently peaceful, with MC even telling Marc to take the deal with Adidas. It was gonna be a smooth transition in which a friend was looking after a friend. People keep assuming that it was hard for Marc to be upfront about the situation, but it was a mutual agreement. The problem here is the whole introduction to the team thing in Away Days; in this case all Marc had to do was be straightforward with MC so he could negotiate with Adidas all the MJ shoes left in stock. Honesty would've been the key, and even with all the problems Marc had, the fact is he is an adult. It cannot be excused that he just blatantly acted shady knowing the backlash this would cause. Another inexcusable aspect of this issue is the legality of the whole thing, everybody has problems, but the law doesn't care about your problems. He breached his contract with Lakai, that is a fact.

This could have all been solved through honest conversations, he could've talked to MC and talked to Adidas to reach a happy medium in which both parts weren't harmed. In which both parts reached a consensus and thus all would be good.

I keep questioning if people really read that Jenkem interview or if they even understood it, shit blows my mind. People keep assuming and speculating shit when it's all there. MC called it and MJ still hasn't responded shit, which makes me believe that there is no "whole story". I think Marc's answer is just gonna be a lot of shit from the past: "He did this to this rider, he was shady in this situation. etc." In which case it is now irrelevant (but interesting) since we all make mistakes and what matters is that we evolve for the better.

But hey, maybe I just don't know the whole story ;)

dolphinstyle.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #1798 on: February 20, 2017, 10:35:57 AM »
^^
and that is the whole issue. He stated himself in the 9club interview, Away Days Premiere was at May 12th and that he was filming the tricks for his introduction on May 8th knowing that he will be in it.
Here is the part of MC interview that illustrates why people might think that MJ was the asshole...

"[...]We had to reduce pay and I just told him, you know what, this sucks. You?ve been in this for fucking years, putting your all into it, blood, sweat and tears and I wouldn?t feel comfortable asking you to stick around. We talked for a while, and I knew he was going to go skate for them. Everybody started talking about the rumors again, but it was a mutual thing and fully respectful. It was a sad moment. It sucked for me to have to tell him that, and to have to say, ?You should probably take a better offer,? because these motherfuckers are coming at you all crazy. He?s almost 40 years old, I think at this age you should go get yours. And if he was gonna stay on, I didn?t want him to be resentful for the decision.

I sent him a termination agreement over a month ago and in that agreement we asked him to hold off a while from announcing because we had our product and the agreement was to protect us and the production. But I told him I was open to talk about the agreement and change anything. We asked him to keep it on the low for a while. But I knew it was asking for a lot. But? that?s what he?s getting paid for? Then I heard more rumors and I hit him up for a couple of days and he wasn?t responding so I had to be blunt. I was like, ?Hey, I?ve been hearing these rumors that you are about to be announced at the Away Days premiere. What?s the deal with this?? I thought he was going to be on the team through at least the summer or July.

Then he finally got back to me, but was just like, ?No, there?s no announcement? who would say that?? So I asked him again, ?There?s no announcement tomorrow?? He?s like, ?No.? Then the next day, the night of the premiere I just get a text, ?Marc was just announced in the video.?
I was just like? that is insane. Last night on the phone he said nothing was happening. [...]"
Look, I'm an individual within us, partaking in this business

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1799 on: February 20, 2017, 10:52:53 AM »
I really identify with MJ these days (since I am also occasionally an unnecessarily shady asshole).

He isn't saying much, cause IMO deep down he feels bad about it. Anytime I ignored someone like that or avoided an issue, I was just too cowardly to fess up to my actions.