Author Topic: Mike Carroll on the future of Crailtap  (Read 397540 times)

Robert Baratheon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
Re: Mike Carroll on the future of Crailtap
« Reply #1800 on: February 20, 2017, 11:57:47 AM »
It's probably good for everyone to move on from this. But it's interesting that Marc hated the business side of Enjoi, getting upset with his friends about productivity and all. It doesn't seem like he could really refute what was out there but was kinda using his mother's passing as cover for his decision. That very well may be what happened. He's said before that his family life was pretty dysfunctional. This event may have unearthed some long ignored issues that triggered a fuck you approach to his present day stress.

The same may be true for Carroll. His company of over 20 years is being dismantled, in part, by these shoe companies. The owners of Crail have made money off of their riders, the riders have made money as members of that team. There is probably volumes of instances where their riders have piled out and kept their status on the team. Guy, Gino, Keenan, Marc etc. So, when Mike is not getting answers to a rumor that he thinks is gong to damage his brand, from a friend and legendary skater, he snaps. That Jenkem article was a statement to Nike and Adidas as much as it was about Marc.

And the part were Roger says that people are sick of shitty shoes, thus being the reason why kids are buying Nike, Adidas, and Converse, is utter bullshit. The kids buy what pros ride. That's why the pros get money from any company. Really lost a lot of respect for that dude. But I guess if you want to work in the industry, those are your new overlords. And they will exact a tribute. Enter Brink's MJ interview...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 04:02:56 PM by Robert Baratheon »

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1801 on: February 20, 2017, 12:23:23 PM »
If they didn't, Lakai should have still paid Marc while he was waiting for the Adidas announcement/unloading MJ Lakai shoes.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 12:27:49 PM by Robert Baratheon »

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #1802 on: February 20, 2017, 12:25:04 PM »
Im pretty sure there are a lot of people who are unhappy with the quality of Lakai shoes...just the other day people were talking about how poor the quality of 4star shit is...never skated a pair so im not sure myself

chilllyboy

• Rep: -10
« Reply #1803 on: February 20, 2017, 01:01:33 PM »
Remember that part when Marc says Lakai breached contract, dicked with his money, then gave him the run around when he started asking questions....

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1804 on: February 20, 2017, 01:19:19 PM »
Remember that part when Marc says Lakai breached contract, dicked with his money, then gave him the run around when he started asking questions....
Is there such thing as a contingency in contracts for allowing a pay cut?   

shit_for_brains

« Reply #1805 on: February 20, 2017, 01:54:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If the contract includes that, yeah.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1806 on: February 20, 2017, 02:44:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

If the contract includes that, yeah.

sounds like either it was in his contract that Crailtap can cut pay or they did it with the intent of removing him from the roster
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 03:08:39 PM by Abyss1 »

Andrew

• Rep: 100
  • lightcatcher
« Reply #1807 on: February 20, 2017, 03:17:20 PM »
August 2016: 3 calls and a day at the cafe, 5 & 1/2 hours of tape and a 110 page/43,000 word interview transcription. After you enjoy his @thenineclubshow episode this evening, you've got even more @marcjohnson to look forward to in the near future ... 😉 #workingonit #onehellofanedit #gimmeaminuteortwo #likeafinewine #sorrycandlesgotintheway #SOTY #onceaSOTYalwaysaSOTY #2017yearoftheMJ #marcjohnson #mj

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQuNEruFWvi/?hl=en

brink what site did you do this for?
The only thing you nerds grind down is yer keyboard keys.

biggums mcgee

• Rep: 14
« Reply #1808 on: February 20, 2017, 06:22:22 PM »
Well, that's how you learn who your real friends are.

violentpizza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • pregnant pussy
« Reply #1809 on: February 20, 2017, 09:36:00 PM »
The ball is in Girls court. Intro Brophy already and quit trying to lean on the new guys personalities. They don't have personalities.

Dirtymac

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #1810 on: February 21, 2017, 04:34:36 AM »
I feel like Adidas is the probable real villain here. I don't think its been brought up but what if part of his contract with Adidas was that he couldn't tell anyone about the announcement? Maybe they wanted it to be a surprise and knew that even if MJ only told MC 24 hours in advanced it would give MC plenty of time to put it on blast via Insta or whatever. I may have said this before(long thread)but if that's the case it pretty much boils down to picking the best of 2 shitty choices: a)Tell MC and piss off my new employer...or b)lie to MC and piss off the guy who cut my pay and told me to find another sponser.
"Never talk shit about a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way you're a mile away AND you've got his shoes"

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #1811 on: February 21, 2017, 06:14:07 AM »
What I'm getting out of all this is that: Marc is saying he got pay cuts to the point of getting a new sponsor and they want to pay him so he's going to do good by them. And i owe you nothing at this point because im not getting paid. Mike is saying "can you not get paid well for 5 more months so my company can finish making money off your name?" And then getting his version of events out asap.

In any event, it's two adults looking out for themselves and it's in the public eye. Tmz style. I wish Marc would have addressed not talking about being announced but whatever. I still like both of their skating. And none of this effects my choices on gear.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 06:21:14 AM by fang »

trillytrill

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1812 on: February 21, 2017, 06:41:19 AM »
What I'm getting out of all this is that: Marc is saying he got pay cuts to the point of getting a new sponsor and they want to pay him so he's going to do good by them. And i owe you nothing at this point because im not getting paid. Mike is saying "can you not get paid well for 5 more months so my company can finish making money off your name?" And then getting his version of events out asap.

In any event, it's two adults looking out for themselves and it's in the public eye. Tmz style. I wish Marc would have addressed not talking about being announced but whatever. I still like both of their skating. And none of this effects my choices on gear.

marc got pay cuts to the point of lakai feeling bad and them agreeing to release him so he could find more gainful employment. they didnt have to do that. they were trying to the best for him they could. the deal was let lakai finish what they've already committed to and they'll continue paying marc like they had been for the remainder of his time there. they even said the terms of that could be negotiated and marc just blew them off and lied. he was upset about his pay and other life issues and decided that justified burning a bridge. from all the information available, lakai was trying to do the best it could for both of them, including letting marc out of his contact so he could get more money which they didn't have to do. no one is even saying he shouldn't have filmed tricks for the video, it's just that he lied, broke contract, and put lakai in a tough spot when they were trying for him.

gub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1813 on: February 21, 2017, 06:49:22 AM »
exactly -- people keep muddling all this, when carroll said plainly in the Jenkem article that the beef was over MJ apparently lying about being in the Adidas vid/timing of being announced on the team ... not MJ going to Adidas, which Carroll says he encouraged MJ to do

big up to Crob and 9 club for being the first to actually get MJ to speak on all of this after so long, but either they didn't want to push MJ on it that much or they weren't clear what the real beef was, maybe both

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #1814 on: February 21, 2017, 06:51:42 AM »
ever date that super hot chick that's incredible in bed but dramatic as fuck? that's marc.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1815 on: February 21, 2017, 07:02:23 AM »
And i owe you nothing at this point because im not getting paid. Mike is saying "can you not get paid well for 5 more months so my company can finish making money off your name?"

But I told him I was open to talk about the agreement and change anything. We asked him to keep it on the low for a while. But I knew it was asking for a lot. But that's what he's getting paid for?

MC said that MJ was getting paid. MJ says that's not true. He said, she said.

Also, Carroll was trying not so much to make money but to not lose his ass on a bunch of MJ shoes, that after his Adidas announcement, will be worthless.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 07:14:32 AM by Robert Baratheon »

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #1816 on: February 21, 2017, 07:05:01 AM »
So where is the Brink interview?

Also:
Aaron Meza
Biebel
Gino
JB Gillet
Jeff Mikut
Kelly Bird
Koston
Mariano
MJ
Nick Jensen
Scott Johnston

all left one or several Crailtap brands, in the last two years (you can add BA and Alex Olson, if you count 4/5 years). That's quite a heavy team.
I don't know how bad are the issues at Crailtap, but I wouldn't be surprised if Lakai dies soon.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #1817 on: February 21, 2017, 07:53:10 AM »
It doesn't seem like he could really refute what was out there but was kinda using his mother's passing as cover for his decision.
If there is anything that bothers me most about the internet, it's people asserting assumptions about things they know nothing about.
There is no reason to assume that something as devastating as losing a loved one wouldn't effect someone as much as it did.
Having an opinion on someones style, trick choice, sponsor hopping etc is fine.
Theorizing about using the loss of a loved one to hide behind their actions is pretty low.

Dirtymac

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #1818 on: February 21, 2017, 07:55:38 AM »
So who thinks, if MJ had told him, "yeah man they're announcing it at the premier tomorrow. Sorry I had to do it but they're my new employers", MC would have said, "oh ok well that sucks but thanks for being honest"..... I like both these guys but I honestly can't see it playing out that way. In no scenario I can come up with in my mind would Carroll not be pissed and fire Marc from Chocolate
"Never talk shit about a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way you're a mile away AND you've got his shoes"

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #1819 on: February 21, 2017, 07:58:34 AM »
So who thinks, if MJ had told him, "yeah man they're announcing it at the premier tomorrow. Sorry I had to do it but they're my new employers", MC would have said, "oh ok well that sucks but thanks for being honest"..... I like both these guys but I honestly can't see it playing out that way. In no scenario I can come up with in my mind would Carroll not be pissed and fire Marc from Chocolate

Well I don't think MC would have had an interview saying he was gonna sodomize MJ no vaseline had it happened this way.

Speaking of, it's not on this page yet.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

new page i guess
[close]
[close]

Just cuz. #neverforget
[close]

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1820 on: February 21, 2017, 08:01:25 AM »
Expand Quote
It doesn't seem like he could really refute what was out there but was kinda using his mother's passing as cover for his decision.
[close]
If there is anything that bothers me most about the internet, it's people asserting assumptions about things they know nothing about.
There is no reason to assume that something as devastating as losing a loved one wouldn't effect someone as much as it did.
Having an opinion on someones style, trick choice, sponsor hopping etc is fine.
Theorizing about using the loss of a loved one to hide behind their actions is pretty low.

Maybe 'passing as cover' was a bit strong but Marc did say that it affected his thinking at the time. I didn't say that was for certain either.

trillytrill

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1821 on: February 21, 2017, 08:21:05 AM »

why does that hypothetical scenario even matter? it would have turned out way better for marc had he done that instead of trying to justify him being a blatant liar and bridge burner. you don't think it's weird he still doesn't have a new board sponsor when he's made it clear he needs $$$? maybe it has something to do with him being a shitty person?

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1822 on: February 21, 2017, 08:24:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

why does that hypothetical scenario even matter? it would have turned out way better for marc had he done that instead of trying to justify him being a blatant liar and bridge burner. you don't think it's weird he still doesn't have a new board sponsor when he's made it clear he needs $$$? maybe it has something to do with him being a shitty person?

This. People wonder about his sponsor situation? Just like I said above, if you're a shady asshole, people will avoid you.

midevilco

« Reply #1823 on: February 21, 2017, 08:26:40 AM »
Remember when Carroll called MJ an alcoholic, liar and a bunch of other shit?  

Why would Lakai be stupid enough to get stuck holding a ton of inventory of a drunk liars pro shoe right at the same time they quit paying him?

Bad business move after bad business move. Marc was basically the last to leave right after a bunch of long time riders had quit.

Sounds to me like Carroll took all of his frustrations out unfairly on Marc, and Marc is terrible at sticking up for himself. The story about the friend he moved to CA and to SJ with at the beginning of the 9 club is pretty telling.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1824 on: February 21, 2017, 08:28:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This. People wonder about his sponsor situation? Just like I said above, if you're a shady asshole, people will avoid you.

Damn, looks like he's not getting on Zimmerman Skateboards anytime soon.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1825 on: February 21, 2017, 08:29:54 AM »
Expand Quote
And i owe you nothing at this point because im not getting paid. Mike is saying "can you not get paid well for 5 more months so my company can finish making money off your name?"
[close]

Expand Quote
But I told him I was open to talk about the agreement and change anything. We asked him to keep it on the low for a while. But I knew it was asking for a lot. But that's what he's getting paid for?
[close]

Also, Carroll was trying not so much to make money but to not lose his ass on a bunch of MJ shoes, that after his Adidas announcement, will be worthless.
Yet it's ok for Marc to lose his ass? And that shoe is still in their line, renamed.
you never know about pre-cum 

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #1826 on: February 21, 2017, 08:30:14 AM »
ever date that super hot chick that's incredible in bed but dramatic as fuck? that's marc.

Good call. I think the first interview I read with him was that Thrasher from say 2000 or 2001 with 30 ish interviews and I was thinking "this guy thinks he's real deep/smart/special ... but he can skate hella good". His epicly later'd didn't change my mind either. For a guy that talks a lot, he sure doesn't say much. As I get older too, watching guys around my age that seem to believe their own hype/importance ... kinda of sucks to see

Again though, I'll watch him skate always. His personality I don't really care about. A lot of pros seem like kooks the more you learn about them. Certain ones like Gonz's or Julien etc. Seem cool as ice though

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1827 on: February 21, 2017, 08:34:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Damn, looks like he's not getting on Zimmerman Skateboards anytime soon.

I would still pay and send the guy boards. Shady assholes can be trustworthy, once they're done screwing over the people closest to them.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1828 on: February 21, 2017, 08:45:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Yet it's ok for Marc to lose his ass? And that shoe is still in their line, renamed.

I said pretty clearly before that Lakai should have paid him during the waiting period.

And if they had to alter that shoe to keep it in their line, that costs money.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #1829 on: February 21, 2017, 08:47:15 AM »
And the part were Roger says that people are sick of shitty shoes, thus being the reason why kids are buying Nike, Adidas, and Converse, is utter bullshit. The kids buy what pros ride. That's why the pros get money from any company.

maybe initially but after going through product people want something worth the money. even kids, theres a legitimate quality argument when it comes to crailtap products not meeting the mark. i dont enjoy feeling suckered into buying shitty stuff. if lakai goes out of business it wont be because mj left them hanging with product by going to adidas.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 08:48:49 AM by The Ghost of Lenny Kirk »