Author Topic: Mike Carroll on the future of Crailtap  (Read 397541 times)

Dirtymac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
Re: Mike Carroll on the future of Crailtap
« Reply #1830 on: February 21, 2017, 09:01:11 AM »
Expand Quote
So who thinks, if MJ had told him, "yeah man they're announcing it at the premier tomorrow. Sorry I had to do it but they're my new employers", MC would have said, "oh ok well that sucks but thanks for being honest"..... I like both these guys but I honestly can't see it playing out that way. In no scenario I can come up with in my mind would Carroll not be pissed and fire Marc from Chocolate
[close]

why does that hypothetical scenario even matter? it would have turned out way better for marc had he done that instead of trying to justify him being a blatant liar and bridge burner. you don't think it's weird he still doesn't have a new board sponsor when he's made it clear he needs $$$? maybe it has something to do with him being a shitty person?
It matters because MC said something to the effect of, "if he'd just been honest and told me like a man I would have been pissed but I would have understood"(very loose paraphrasing) and I just don't think that's true. I think if MJ had took his call earlier in the week and been upfront about it then everyone and their brother would have known before the premier. It also matters because no one seems to factor in that Adidas could very well said, "if you let this out of the bag then the deals off" or there could have been something in his new contract giving them rights to the announcement of their new team rider. He's not going to put his new employer on blast and say, "they made me do this shitty!" It doesn't really matter at this point I'm just not the type to judge someone once and for all when I have no real idea of all the details. Just playing devils advocate that's all
"Never talk shit about a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way you're a mile away AND you've got his shoes"

jpmulls

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1831 on: February 21, 2017, 09:05:57 AM »
Expand Quote
And the part were Roger says that people are sick of shitty shoes, thus being the reason why kids are buying Nike, Adidas, and Converse, is utter bullshit. The kids buy what pros ride. That's why the pros get money from any company.
[close]

maybe initially but after going through product people want something worth the money. even kids, theres a legitimate quality argument when it comes to crailtap products not meeting the mark. i dont enjoy feeling suckered into buying shitty stuff. if lakai goes out of business it wont be because mj left them hanging with product by going to adidas.

If Lakai was making 85 dollar high quality vulc shoes, nobody would buy them.

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #1832 on: February 21, 2017, 09:10:52 AM »
Expand Quote
And the part were Roger says that people are sick of shitty shoes, thus being the reason why kids are buying Nike, Adidas, and Converse, is utter bullshit. The kids buy what pros ride. That's why the pros get money from any company.
[close]

maybe initially but after going through product people want something worth the money. even kids, theres a legitimate quality argument when it comes to crailtap products not meeting the mark. i dont enjoy feeling suckered into buying shitty stuff. if lakai goes out of business it wont be because mj left them hanging with product by going to adidas.

Seriously all of crailtaps products are shit. Anytime my friends bought a girl board they instantly regret it because they break in a week. I even got a girl board board like 2 years ago and it broke on a flatground trick in less than a week. I still wanted to try and support them so i decided to give some Lakais a chance. Every pair i bought would be torn up to the point you cant skate in them in about 2 weeks. Hell they have just as good quality as Vox but their shoes were like 40 dollars. I really don't feel bad at anyone at Crailtap if it goes under, they are overpricing pieces of shit and calling it skateboards and shoes

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #1833 on: February 21, 2017, 09:10:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Maybe Lakai has had issues. Haven't had a pair in awhile. But I've worn them all the brands and I've never noticed a consistent quality issue with Sole Tech or Vans. Every manufacturer spits out lemons from time to time.

http://www.oregonlive.com/playbooks-profits/index.ssf/2014/10/nike_pulls_lebron_12_from_mark.html

trillytrill

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1834 on: February 21, 2017, 09:28:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So who thinks, if MJ had told him, "yeah man they're announcing it at the premier tomorrow. Sorry I had to do it but they're my new employers", MC would have said, "oh ok well that sucks but thanks for being honest"..... I like both these guys but I honestly can't see it playing out that way. In no scenario I can come up with in my mind would Carroll not be pissed and fire Marc from Chocolate
[close]

why does that hypothetical scenario even matter? it would have turned out way better for marc had he done that instead of trying to justify him being a blatant liar and bridge burner. you don't think it's weird he still doesn't have a new board sponsor when he's made it clear he needs $$$? maybe it has something to do with him being a shitty person?
[close]
It matters because MC said something to the effect of, "if he'd just been honest and told me like a man I would have been pissed but I would have understood"(very loose paraphrasing) and I just don't think that's true. I think if MJ had took his call earlier in the week and been upfront about it then everyone and their brother would have known before the premier. It also matters because no one seems to factor in that Adidas could very well said, "if you let this out of the bag then the deals off" or there could have been something in his new contract giving them rights to the announcement of their new team rider. He's not going to put his new employer on blast and say, "they made me do this shitty!" It doesn't really matter at this point I'm just not the type to judge someone once and for all when I have no real idea of all the details. Just playing devils advocate that's all

well "he would have been a dick if i had not been a dick" is not an excuse for being a dick.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #1835 on: February 21, 2017, 09:58:35 AM »
how come they didn't bring up his interviews with jenkem or him on the shetler show where he bashes big corporate companies
good come sausage

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #1836 on: February 21, 2017, 10:22:46 AM »
how come they didn't bring up his interviews with jenkem or him on the shetler show where he bashes big corporate companies

do you go to your friends and bring up shit from the past that they did or said to make them feel stupid? do you do it on a platform that reaches thousands of viewers?

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1837 on: February 21, 2017, 11:05:50 AM »
Anyone who disses MJ hasn't been in the shape he's been in.

Talking about getting delirious tremors from alcohol withdrawal? Who gives a fuck about lakai or adidas? I'm right in that shit right now, and I'm a bigger MJ fan than ever, that motherfucker is a tough dude.

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #1838 on: February 21, 2017, 11:16:52 AM »
It wasn't easy, but i'm just glad we finally sorted all of this out.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #1839 on: February 21, 2017, 11:21:53 AM »

Dirtymac

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1840 on: February 21, 2017, 11:34:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

well "he would have been a dick if i had not been a dick" is not an excuse for being a dick.
well if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle... ;)
"Never talk shit about a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way you're a mile away AND you've got his shoes"

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 92
« Reply #1841 on: February 21, 2017, 02:05:48 PM »
Fully backing MJ. Koston jumped ship in the middle of his contract after getting fucked over by Lakai (them not being able to pay him his contract amount), so did a few other riders. No one got the shade thrown at them how MJ did, but at the same time MJ put more into Lakai than anyone else on that team HANDS DOWN. He obviously didn't want to leave Lakai, but was forced to because they weren't paying him. Would you show up to a job that payed you here and there and not for the amount you had agreed on?

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #1842 on: February 21, 2017, 02:58:37 PM »
I think majority of everyone in this thread are backing MJ on Adidas. Sure people would have gave him a little shit about cause he said he would never ride for a big corporate shoe sponsor but that would have easily died down. Carroll told the dude to go to Adidas. Everyone on here is thinking MJ is a shitty person because the way he dealt with the whole thing, not that he just went to Adidas. Do you really think Carroll would kick of one of his best selling pros on chocolate just because he left lakai but didn't kick of Biebel when he left lakai? He didn't even kick of Koston when he left or Guy. MJ handled the whole situation like a cunt and thats the only reason people are pissed about if they are pissed in this thread

Also lets be real here, im sure the checks weren't like fucking minimum wage. Everyone gets greedy and thats fine just don't act like you're the innocent person in all this 

trillytrill

« Reply #1843 on: February 22, 2017, 06:33:14 AM »
Fully backing MJ. Koston jumped ship in the middle of his contract after getting fucked over by Lakai (them not being able to pay him his contract amount)

look how koston went about it though. he got a lakai send off video and everything. the problem is not that mj left (he was even encouraged to by mc), it's how he left and i bet that's been said probably 100x in this thread.

Dirtymac

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1844 on: February 22, 2017, 06:40:27 AM »
Bottom line for me personally is if my employer sends me a short check with no forewarning and then I call to ask about it and get the run around(ie.-"I'll check on it and call you back")and never hear back from anyone then the gloves are off and I don't owe that person shit. To send an employee a paycheck that's not the correct amount like, "maybe he won't notice" is about as shitty as it gets. That's MJ's version of how it all started. Could be lying I suppose. Like I said I love both these guys as skaters but neither strike me as particularly "quality" human beings.

Maggie

• Rep: -65488
« Reply #1845 on: February 22, 2017, 06:50:20 AM »
Marc is off Chocolate bye bye no room on Quasi for homophobic idiots.. for real dude you need to choose your words wisely

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #1846 on: February 22, 2017, 06:53:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Fully backing MJ. Koston jumped ship in the middle of his contract after getting fucked over by Lakai (them not being able to pay him his contract amount)
[close]

look how koston went about it though. he got a lakai send off video and everything. the problem is not that mj left (he was even encouraged to by mc), it's how he left and i bet that's been said probably 100x in this thread.

Podium was at fault here, not Lakai. From what was implied, Podium was not paying pro shoe royalties honestly.

midevilco

« Reply #1847 on: February 22, 2017, 08:22:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If someone isn't paying you, than they don't get to dictate what you do.

You don't owe them an orchestrated exit.

Also, Koston left early. MJ was basically the last to leave, and had all his chips at Crail, and doesn't own any companies. Koston is an empire.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #1848 on: February 22, 2017, 09:33:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Also, Koston left early. MJ was basically the last to leave, and had all his chips at Crail, and doesn't own any companies. Koston is an empire.

This, but there is still this mysterious contract stipulation that say they can decrease the compensation at anytime...I know as a hourly employee this happened to me often without notification, never happened in salary situations, and have never seen that in my contract  negotiations. 

Why anyone would sign an agreement that says the main party can cut compensation at anytime without notice

trillytrill

« Reply #1849 on: February 22, 2017, 11:49:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

receiving a pay cut (or two even) does not equate to not being paid or breach of contract.

GinosGroceries

« Reply #1850 on: February 22, 2017, 11:57:01 AM »
Is he still gettin faded on the reg?

midevilco

« Reply #1851 on: February 22, 2017, 12:04:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

receiving a pay cut (or two even) does not equate to not being paid or breach of contract.

You have seen the contract and pay stubs?

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2197
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1852 on: February 22, 2017, 12:07:06 PM »
Holy shit 63 pages of arguing over who was right based mostly on speculation, and arguments about what would have happened if one person had acted differently. This is more pointless than arguing about religion.

Can we just all agree the dude is painfully unfunny. "Hey I'm on a show, look how crazy I'm wearing my hat! Oh wait let me make a funny voice and face in case you guys don't get how funny I am yet!"

dolphinstyle.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #1853 on: February 22, 2017, 12:26:22 PM »
Holy shit 63 pages of arguing over who was right based mostly on speculation, and arguments about what would have happened if one person had acted differently. This is more pointless than arguing about religion.

Can we just all agree the dude is painfully unfunny. "Hey I'm on a show, look how crazy I'm wearing my hat! Oh wait let me make a funny voice and face in case you guys don't get how funny I am yet!"

If you add the 5 pages of MJ on the 9 club in Photos/Videos, we are technically at 68 pages
Look, I'm an individual within us, partaking in this business

Slappydarkslide

« Reply #1854 on: February 22, 2017, 01:34:45 PM »
wonder if Marc asked any companies if he could get on and they said, "naaa"..

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2197
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1855 on: February 22, 2017, 02:53:49 PM »
Holy crap finally just finished it. I do not like that guy. I was listening to it as I worked and only watching it occasionally. Okay, stupid hat.... oh wait he's wearing a different hat now, ok...... oh he has a wig on and no shirt now? What the hell is going on?

But more to the point his version of the story didn't seem believable to me. Of course in any disagreement each side is gonna spice their's up, but the way he made it seem like "Okay we can't pay you, you should get a new fucking sponsor" like they kicked him off rather than let him pursue a better deal. Then he says "I gave 15 years of my life putting the interests of both those companies ahead of my health, my life, even my son." You could also look at that as giving 15 years of your life into your career, not a grand sacrifice to companies that you've chosen to ride for and represent.

Also strange how he doesn't once say Carrol, Lakai, or Chocolate's name in the whole rant. Seems like a guilty thing to do.

Edit: Also love Roger but was pretty bummed on him blatantly claiming "Skate shoe companies makes shitty shoes. Adidas, Nike, and Converse make great shoes." I wonder how Carroll feels about this episode.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 03:01:00 PM by Watson »

Maggie

• Rep: -65488
« Reply #1856 on: February 22, 2017, 03:04:48 PM »
Roger is the truth his encyclopedic knowledge of the industry impresses not only me but Jake Johnson, gilbert and Nate Jones

We're both going to rehab in april

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #1857 on: February 22, 2017, 05:36:05 PM »
Roger....on the quality of skate shoes.....please explain vans.......

Billy Ocean

• Rep: 30
« Reply #1858 on: February 22, 2017, 05:40:44 PM »
Holy crap finally just finished it. I do not like that guy. I was listening to it as I worked and only watching it occasionally. Okay, stupid hat.... oh wait he's wearing a different hat now, ok...... oh he has a wig on and no shirt now? What the hell is going on?

But more to the point his version of the story didn't seem believable to me. Of course in any disagreement each side is gonna spice their's up, but the way he made it seem like "Okay we can't pay you, you should get a new fucking sponsor" like they kicked him off rather than let him pursue a better deal. Then he says "I gave 15 years of my life putting the interests of both those companies ahead of my health, my life, even my son." You could also look at that as giving 15 years of your life into your career, not a grand sacrifice to companies that you've chosen to ride for and represent.

Also strange how he doesn't once say Carrol, Lakai, or Chocolate's name in the whole rant. Seems like a guilty thing to do.

You just don't know the whole story yet.
"Suck a dick, bitch." - Joey Boy

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #1859 on: February 22, 2017, 05:41:23 PM »
Roger....on the quality of skate shoes.....please explain vans.......

He said skate shoe companies make shitty shoes.

Vans is the fuckin top of the list
Gentleman ninja warlock