Author Topic: Attaching Angle Iron to Ledges  (Read 6073 times)

ConnyMas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Attaching Angle Iron to Ledges
« on: June 05, 2016, 09:08:29 AM »
I've found a ditch spot with a nice ledge at the top in my new neighborhood.  The problem is the ledge is too crusty to grind, but it's square enough that I think throwing some angle iron on it would make it skateable. Does anyone have recommendations on how to attach angle iron to a concrete ledge? 

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1361
Re: Attaching Angle Iron to Ledges
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 11:02:31 AM »
Make sure to clean the ledge off as much as possible from any mud, dust or debris and then your gonna want a polyurethane based adhesive (liquid nails or PL Premium) from home depot or any hardware store, set it up with a caulk gun and be liberal with the amount of adhesive you use so it stays put.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 11:08:18 AM by Silky Johnson »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 06:15:45 PM »
if drilling into the ledge is not an option then liquid nails is the way to go, slather that stuff on the angle iron, slap it on and get some pressure on it (cinder blocks or a mate standing on it for a couple of hours).  should hold for a couple of months.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

yeahisaidit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 10:01:37 PM »
What they said above. But to reiterate, when they say liberal/slather the liquid nails, do just that. I built a six foot ledge with cinder blocks and thought a "squiggly line" on both edges of the angle iron would be enough; it wasnt. I used regular strength first, and that fell of a couple times after a couple weeks. Eventually i used almost an entire canister of extra strength liquid nails on both sides of angle iron, and the ledge has been good for a year. Its much easier to scrape off excess glue then worry about not having applied enough.

Andrew

• Rep: 100
  • lightcatcher
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 01:14:53 PM »
Make sure to clean the ledge off as much as possible from any mud, dust or debris

this part is really key. same goes for bondoing a crack
The only thing you nerds grind down is yer keyboard keys.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 09:33:33 PM »
What they said above. But to reiterate, when they say liberal/slather the liquid nails, do just that. I built a six foot ledge with cinder blocks and thought a "squiggly line" on both edges of the angle iron would be enough; it wasnt. I used regular strength first, and that fell of a couple times after a couple weeks. Eventually i used almost an entire canister of extra strength liquid nails on both sides of angle iron, and the ledge has been good for a year. Its much easier to scrape off excess glue then worry about not having applied enough.

Yeah, just slather that stuff on thick, i dont think the liquid nails can be reused after its been opened, it hardens, so might as well use the entire tube.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 09:45:39 PM »
yoooooooooo, how hard was it to make that ledge? ive been wanting to make a ledge/grind box for a year but i have jack shit when it comes to tools and that sounds do able

Grind King Rims

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 05:19:21 PM »
Same as above, planning on making a ledge for go skate day. Need all the tips/help/guides/tutorials I can get.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 537
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 07:35:44 AM »
figured some of you guys could make use of this

http://www.dlxsf.com/thebuildproject/guides/cinderblockledge.pdf

shit_for_brains

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 12:37:54 PM »
Definitely clean the surface and just cut the top off the tube of liquid nails and use the whole thing. As you can tell from everyone else, you can't use too much of it.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 04:33:31 PM »
figured some of you guys could make use of this

http://www.dlxsf.com/thebuildproject/guides/cinderblockledge.pdf

I was thinking of making one of these but need to do it super fast ie over night.....I saw one online where they just used adhesive to even keep the bricks together.

I get that then the ledge is a lot lighter, but couldn't you just caulk the blocks....and drop in gravel?