Author Topic: Dipped Boards  (Read 4751 times)

ZEBRA

Dipped Boards
« on: June 06, 2016, 12:42:50 AM »
You know the boards that are dipped in all one color like all white or all black, usually?? Like when Mystery first came out, that's all the sold were completely painted boards??

Are they called,"dipped"?? That's what I've always called them...

Anyways, I really like all white dipped boards. I was wondering if anyone knew about a couple decks I was looking at. The first one is a Krooked Bobby Worrest. It's the new series that's limited. Link below...

http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Krooked_Worrest_Lance_Jr_Guest_Artist_Deck/descpage-KKBWLJGDK.html

Also, this Real board they did with Steve Olson...

http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Real_Steve_Olson_Actions_REALized_Full_Deck/descpage-RLSOARDK.html

Are these dipped, or are they just stained white?? Cause they look dipped in those links, but on their sites they look like they're just stained white, or something...

EDIT: Fixed the links.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 01:53:49 PM by ZEBRA »

Sk.A.T.A.N

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
Re: Dipped Boards
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 01:20:04 AM »
You know the boards that are dipped in all one color like all white or all black, usually?? Like when Mystery first came out, that's all the sold were completely painted boards??

Are they called,"dipped"?? That's what I've always called them...

Anyways, I really like all white dipped boards. I was wondering if anyone knew about a couple decks I was looking at. The first one is a Krooked Bobby Worrest. It's the new series that's limited. Link below...

http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Krooked_Worrest_Lance_Jr_Guest_Artist_Deck/descpage-KKBWLJGDK.html

Also, this Real board they did with Steve Olson...

Are these dipped, or are they just stained white?? Cause they look dipped in those links, but on their sites they look like they're just stained white, or something...

I'm pretty sure those two are dipped. You cant "stain" anything white, because it would be translucid. it needs to be opaque to cover the wood. I never had a full dipped board but i had a chocolate one that had the top painted and it was my only con against it. The paint would crack at the edges and the griptape peel with it. I had to glue some parts of the griptape and it sucked a bit. Board was cool tho.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 02:22:10 AM »
Is that not the same link twice? if this is the olson board you're thinking of
http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Real_Steve_Olson_Actions_REALized_Full_Deck/descpage-RLSOARDK.html

I'm quite sure it's a full dip, SKATAN is right, white stain would be translucent

Edit: Fuck what i'm saying, those skatewarehouse photos are deceptive, it looks like s stain on socal and i trust their photos better

« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 02:25:49 AM by Paco Supreme »

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 02:37:14 AM »

I'm quite sure it's a full dip, SKATAN is right, white stain would be translucent

Edit: Fuck what i'm saying, those skatewarehouse photos are deceptive, it looks like s stain on socal and i trust their photos better

Yeah, in the skatewarehouse photos they look dipped because it's full white. In that socal it looks like a just a shade of white, that might be stained or a light coat over it. I dont really know.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 02:50:07 AM »
Best description would be a white wash finish

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 05:05:46 AM »
quasi does those white wash and pink wash decks also.
good come sausage

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 08:06:06 AM »
last fully dipped board i had was from supreme

I never really cared for them, just the edges and top being all the same color then getting scuffed up made me anxious lol

zippy z

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 09:17:58 AM »
Alien used to do a lot of dipped boards when Pendleton was there - noir and brite-lite were pretty regular. I think the brite-lite stuff was the same thing they used to do at Powell. They were fully painted in a transparent neon and a

noir https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/68/27/a0/6827a0a39ef28e972f7b37e95a88f348.jpg

OG brite-lite http://www.calsk8.com/images/smithog.JPG

AWS brite-lite https://boiltheocean.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/awsowls1.png

Jake From State Farm

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 09:23:27 AM »
I have looked at Ryan Lay's board in person 5 separate times and not bought it due to it being dipped.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 09:31:38 AM »
Dipped boards are the worst.

Yungstink

• Rep: 0
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 10:18:33 AM »
my local shop used to do their decks through alien and they had this teals dip with a black/white/red triangle crying eye graphic and i had like 8 of them so dipped boards in my opinion are the truth

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 10:28:38 AM »
Is it something that works well? I'm going to paint my current board as soon as the shitty, glued-on graphic peels just a little bit more, so I'm wondering if I could just paint it like that instead of just the bottom. I'm worried about the griptape, most of all.

ZEBRA

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 01:52:01 PM »
Is it something that works well? I'm going to paint my current board as soon as the shitty, glued-on graphic peels just a little bit more, so I'm wondering if I could just paint it like that instead of just the bottom. I'm worried about the griptape, most of all.

The sound and feel of it changes when you snap the tail for tricks, in my opinion at least. Doesn't enhance or make it preform worse in any way.

You either hate dipped boards, or you're not really into them. I don't think anyone actually loves them. I had a all white one once. It was one of the best boards I ever had. It was some sort of blank from the local shop back in the day. And now I have a Welcome that I fuck around that's all white and I really like it. That's why I'm asking. Thanks guys!!! Appreciate the feedback.

I might just have to shop around at the locals and see who's got it. You think Deluxe would answer my nerd questions?? Haha.

See!!! Deceptive pics, huh?? That's why I started this thread. Haha. And yeah, I'm blowing it with 2 of the same links. I'll fix that ASAP. Thanks.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 01:59:29 PM »
ive always liked how white-dipped boards sorta help you see your board at night.  mostly.
hardly art, hardly starving

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 04:24:22 PM »
The only time I've ever had troubles with a dipped board and griptape was gripping it then skating when it was 5 degrees and the griptape chipping off it pretty bad. I've done the same thing with a normal board and the grip didn't chip. Could have just been the grip though

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 06:14:49 PM »
I don't mind dip boards. I kinda dig the look every now and then. It's been years since I've had one though. I remember I had a pharmacy board many years ago that was dipped white with a pill bottle graphic on the bottom that was on a purple background, probably one of my favorite boards ever; the shape just felt so right and I just thought it looked really cool overall. It didn't feel any more soggy or different from a non dipped board. Also had a couple black dipped local shop decks too and one or two black dipped creatures back in the day that I also thought were really cool.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 07:22:12 PM »
I had a dipped Habitat from right when they first came out that was my favorite board ever for about a week until it became a soggy mess.

I feel like a stained board has a more protective finish - it can take some whacks around the edges and still keep its integrity. Once you scratch the paint off a dipped board it just feels like raw wood.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 10:35:02 PM »
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2016, 07:33:41 AM »
I always thought dipped boards were cool, the only one I've had in recent memory is the Welcome Ryan Lay. I don't get whats would be bad about it.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2016, 07:54:19 AM »
For those who oppose the dip, you can easily sand the edge clean post gripping it with the scraps.
Takes me about 5-10 minutes.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2016, 07:56:45 AM »
For those who oppose the dip, you can easily sand the edge clean post gripping it with the scraps.

But it only takes about 2 seconds to select a board that they didn't coat in thick turds.

ZEBRA

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2016, 11:27:29 AM »
Back to my original question, has anyone seen these boards in person??

I'm not off of work until Sunday. I may swing by a couple shops on Friday after work, but knowing me, something will come up.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2016, 11:56:21 AM »

I'm not off of work until Sunday. I may swing by a couple shops on Friday after work, but knowing me, something will come up.

Yes that's how I observed that they suck.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2016, 11:57:10 AM »
I always thought dipped boards were cool. I don't get what would be bad about it.

ZEBRA

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2016, 04:44:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Trying to figure out if the boards I posted are actually dipped white, or if they're just a super light/white washed color of wood.

Not interested in your opinion on dipped boards, fuck skull

shit_for_brains

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2016, 04:51:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Trying to figure out if the boards I posted are actually dipped white, or if they're just a super light/white washed color of wood.

Not interested in your opinion on dipped boards, fuck skull

Oh my bad I wasn't interested in your original post

shredder sequel

• Rep: 58
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2016, 07:07:22 PM »
i have the olson board. it is not dipped. the white is translucent. you can see the grain on top and bottom.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2016, 08:01:53 PM »
i have the olson board. it is not dipped. the white is translucent. you can see the grain on top and bottom.
We have the answer folks.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2016, 08:10:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

But it only takes about 2 seconds to select a board that they didn't coat in thick turds.
Touche'.
In my defense it was gifted to me and the shape looked good.

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2016, 08:43:41 PM »
i think my first board was a dipped 8.6 creature logo board, i don't remember it sucking but idk