Author Topic: [Help needed - beginner] Research done - Now time to chose  (Read 1122 times)

Mr.Christmas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
[Help needed - beginner] Research done - Now time to chose
« on: June 11, 2016, 11:10:07 AM »
Hello there community!
I recently got interested in skateboarding, and done some research about different types of skateboards. I found that what most people recommend is long-boards and cruise-boards because they are very optimal and not for tricks like normal skateboards are.
I want to buy a skateboard which I will use for travel around my city and stuff. I would mostly use it to get around from my home to my school, as well as on days out with friends, free riding around my neighborhood and other activities.
Now, I was searching around different skateboards on amazon and found some interesting ones but two stand out for me.
(Note: My budget is around £80 - $114)

https://www.amazon.com/EIGHTBIT-Inch-Drop-Complete-Longboard/dp/B011LOZAM6/ref=sr_1_25?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1465667225&sr=1-25&keywords=sector+9+longboards
This is the first board which I got interested in because of it's weird wade of design. It has like little bumps on the ends, altogether i read that it's 250lbs which is around 100kg ? I don't know if it's true but what do you guys think about it? :)

https://www.amazon.com/Kicktail-Complete-Longboard-X9-75-Black/dp/B015DW4RBC/ref=sr_1_20?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1465667533&sr=1-20&keywords=EIGHTBIT
This is my second board which I found. In my experience (which I can say its at 0%) this bard is more curved and shorter, but I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

I don't know what to chose for casual skateboarding around parks, roads, and ped-walks that's why I'm here. Which one you guys would chose? You can also recommend different ones :) I'm open for suggestions.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
Re: [Help needed - beginner] Research done - Now time to chose
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 12:22:43 PM »
buy a nice single-speed on bikesdirect
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 01:04:45 PM »

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 05:55:17 AM »
buy a nice single-speed on bikesdirect

Yeah, get a bicycle if you're thinking about travelling. I'll write a serious reply because I don't really value my time or rep.

Personally, I think longboards are stupid, as for every downhill rider going as fast as a car and risking death, and every dancer doing something creative and flowy on the board, there are a thousand dipshits pushing mongo in flip-flops while texting, swerving into rush-hour traffic at a glacial pace of one languid push per minute, then, once their playtime is done, dragging their 10-foot-long surfboard on wheels through the trucks around like a caveman, all thinking that they're the coolest people in the world for having bought an oversized version of a toy.

If your goals are limited to going back and forth on a board as long as a Cadillac up and down your street, perhaps pulled around by your dog, then by all means get one and pat yourself on the back. On a skateboard, you'll have a steeper learning curve, but much greater chances for technical progression, not to mention the fun you'll have -- or expect to have. Maybe I just don't "get" longboards, but here's my opinion and hopefully it will be useful to you.

If you feel lured by the magical world of longboarding and you're on a budget, I recommend you to just buy a regular skateboard, and get a set of softer, bigger wheels too, and the appropriate set of riser pads to install them. This way, you'll have an easy, smooth ride while still not depriving yourself of being able to go up a curb. I'm sure it's cheaper, too.