Author Topic: Proper Skateboarding Update  (Read 49468 times)

Sk.A.T.A.N

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
Re: FTW Update
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2016, 09:11:38 AM »
Sooo, I think everyone agrees about the name and the logo not being the best. This is free market research, and I really think you should listen to us (the consumers). A good name + a good logo is halfway to success, dont handicap yourself right before you start. It's pretty much up to you if you listen or not.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2016, 10:04:08 AM »
Expand Quote
If I'm being honest "Footwear that Works" reminds me so much of "Nice Skate Shoes" that I already know I'd never buy it. Graffiti logo aside (you need to fix that too).

I just don't want you to be these guys.

[close]

I also don't want to be those guys.

Yo, those shoes have a gold, a silver, and a bronze medal. They're obviously good. You dudes don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2016, 10:22:19 AM »
One also has to take into account that the slap forum demographic represents a small non-representative proportion of skaters. The average age is what? Closing in on 30?

baravettski

• Rep: 41
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2016, 10:34:53 AM »
Yep, I'm listening, and combined with some possible trademark issues I'm going to change the name. I actually had a first one before FTW that I may go back to if I can get it through trademark shit. You'll be happy to know it's one word with two syllables. I'll keep ya posted.

And thanks guys, I really do appreciate the support, the comments, the hate, all of it. It matters.

micky682

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2016, 10:49:10 AM »
Yep, I'm listening, and combined with some possible trademark issues I'm going to change the name. I actually had a first one before FTW that I may go back to if I can get it through trademark shit. You'll be happy to know it's one word with two syllables. I'll keep ya posted.

And thanks guys, I really do appreciate the support, the comments, the hate, all of it. It matters.

Take the advice and then look at the successful shoe companies like Vans. Their image is a big reason they are still successful, their shoes aren't even the greatest or most durable. If you can get a good image AND have shoes to back it up then you are golden.

ZEBRA

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2016, 11:22:18 AM »
I'm not logo designer by any means but I had this idea... It's simpler and has the 3 letters in it too. I did 3 options but i could do more variations of it.

Really digging that logo. I can see that on the Gazelle inspired shoe, easily.

ZEBRA

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2016, 11:30:08 AM »
Last 3 skate shoes I bought...

I bought 2 pairs of Dunk Lows at this mall skateshop called Mainland. Both on sale for $60. Would never pay the full price of $90 for them though.

And then I just bought a pair of HUF Soto's for full price from a local shop called Ground Zero. They retail at $70, but I honestly wasn't looking at the price. I was stoked on them. I would've paid $80. Ended up getting 15% off when I went to pay cause the dude was cool. Always getting hooked up there.

zippy z

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2016, 11:38:19 AM »
FTW reminds me about a guy in Philly who had an FTW tattoo and worked at a Carvel store. His nickname was Fudgie the Whale. Its better than his friend who was known as Ball Bag.

Deucifer

• Rep: 10
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2016, 02:27:36 PM »
Rad to see another skate-only brand emerging. Those two designs look pretty proper, the black bruin-ish one looks killer.

Last three shoes I've skated were Emerica Reynolds vulc (great), Bruin Hyperfeel (meh), and Vans Slip-On pro. Purchased @ skate warehouse.
I have two words for you: greg lutza's fedora

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2016, 02:56:39 PM »

Glad you are listening. I really want your project to succeed!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2016, 02:59:01 PM »
Anything at Agenda to check out?

baravettski

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2016, 03:10:37 PM »
Anything at Agenda to check out?

Nope, we'll miss it. I might be down there just to cruise around and hang out though.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2016, 05:28:03 PM »
Personally I like the name (am I the only one?) but thought it would have been more biker/ iron cross/ indy-inspired logo ttyt (image search "FTW biker" but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about anyway).

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2016, 06:13:16 PM »
call it zamboni footwear

coneklr

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2016, 06:20:43 PM »
One thing I'd think would be amazing that is not offered ( although I don't know the logistics of how much it would make your life suck ) would be offering an option on the insole.

Hear me out...

I like a lot of the emerica/es shoes but their insoles blow and having to buy new insoles for a new shoe is ridiculous.

It would be rad if a company offered the same shoe with upgrade insole options.  Maybe just two one for flatter feet and one with an arch support to start and then add a $5-10 upgrade fee.  I would have kept buying es but when I can get a pair of adidas off the shelf that I don't have to do anything to that feel amazing, I'm not gonna buy the shoe just because it may be a few bucks cheaper and skater owned.

Being old, comfort and support are my top concerns.  If you can figure that out I'll buy at least a couple pair to support the cause.

And fwiw I really appreciate you listening and taking the criticism ( good and bad ) and actually thinking about it

micky682

« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2016, 07:40:26 PM »
One thing I'd think would be amazing that is not offered ( although I don't know the logistics of how much it would make your life suck ) would be offering an option on the insole.

Hear me out...

I like a lot of the emerica/es shoes but their insoles blow and having to buy new insoles for a new shoe is ridiculous.

It would be rad if a company offered the same shoe with upgrade insole options.  Maybe just two one for flatter feet and one with an arch support to start and then add a $5-10 upgrade fee.  I would have kept buying es but when I can get a pair of adidas off the shelf that I don't have to do anything to that feel amazing, I'm not gonna buy the shoe just because it may be a few bucks cheaper and skater owned.

Being old, comfort and support are my top concerns.  If you can figure that out I'll buy at least a couple pair to support the cause.

And fwiw I really appreciate you listening and taking the criticism ( good and bad ) and actually thinking about it
This.

baravettski

« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2016, 10:37:00 PM »

Hear me out...

Good idea, been talking about it for years, but it's definitely a logistic nightmare. Nike ID used to get away with it since they did those custom builds and they had a longer wait time, but it definitely puts a company in a weird spot. Let's say I make 1000 pairs of a certain shoe, and it can come with insole A or insole B. Do I order 500 pairs or each? What if everyone likes insole A, and the 500 sell out? What do I do with insole B? You get stuck sitting on 500 of those things and then if people don't want the shoe you got 500 shoes sitting. I think the way it could work would be sort of combining a shoe company model with an aftermarket insole model. Like, Shoe with insole A costs 65 bucks but you can buy insole B which works with the shoe for an extra $10 or whatever like you said. Back when we did the Boston 2 (fuck it, autocorrect three times, it can be the Rick Boston model for all I care) we talked about offering a separate insole, but it gets expensive fast. I think one of the Kobes came with multiple insoles, but again, pricey.

My goal here is to make a good insole from the jump, and don't waste money in the shoe on dumb shit like technology you don't need or whatever, so hopefully that will cover you.

And no problem, I've been doing this for a long fucking time, so you get a thick skin and learn how to listen (and when not to.)

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2016, 11:25:40 PM »
Expand Quote

Hear me out...

[close]

Good idea, been talking about it for years, but it's definitely a logistic nightmare. Nike ID used to get away with it since they did those custom builds and they had a longer wait time, but it definitely puts a company in a weird spot. Let's say I make 1000 pairs of a certain shoe, and it can come with insole A or insole B. Do I order 500 pairs or each? What if everyone likes insole A, and the 500 sell out? What do I do with insole B? You get stuck sitting on 500 of those things and then if people don't want the shoe you got 500 shoes sitting. I think the way it could work would be sort of combining a shoe company model with an aftermarket insole model. Like, Shoe with insole A costs 65 bucks but you can buy insole B which works with the shoe for an extra $10 or whatever like you said. Back when we did the Boston 2 (fuck it, autocorrect three times, it can be the Rick Boston model for all I care) we talked about offering a separate insole, but it gets expensive fast. I think one of the Kobes came with multiple insoles, but again, pricey.

My goal here is to make a good insole from the jump, and don't waste money in the shoe on dumb shit like technology you don't need or whatever, so hopefully that will cover you.

And no problem, I've been doing this for a long fucking time, so you get a thick skin and learn how to listen (and when not to.)

Kove VII had something similar, I think they retailed for $140, but with the strap/insole add on, add another $40.
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2016, 03:23:33 AM »
I like those black and white and the white and gums a lot, idk if it matters but I feel the tread/grip of the shoes should Probably be like Nike/adidas/fallen and be that wavy/herringbone tread cause it's just so flexible and grippy but make sure it's a good rubber cause I know c1rca and lakai tries to copy that herringbone tread Nike puts on most of their shoes and they just don't hold up as well. Looks the same and you think it would perform the same but the quality of rubber makes a difference to how well it'll flex and grip.

Also try for making the sole consistently something protective like what adidas did with Silas's second shoe where the sole was made to spread impact where the heel lands

Any cupsole ideas try to make them like the puma suede cupsole, it's thin but surprising not too thin that you lose impact protection and still get a nice amount of board feel

Last 3 pairs were new balance pj ladd, new balance Quincy, and now the Nike sb blazer low. I know it bad I'm supporting non skater root shoe brands but let's be real, they actually make really quality lasting shoes that feel good and work good.

yes

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2016, 07:11:51 AM »
I like those black and white and the white and gums a lot, idk if it matters but I feel the tread/grip of the shoes should Probably be like Nike/adidas/fallen and be that wavy/herringbone tread cause it's just so flexible and grippy but make sure it's a good rubber cause I know c1rca and lakai tries to copy that herringbone tread Nike puts on most of their shoes and they just don't hold up as well. Looks the same and you think it would perform the same but the quality of rubber makes a difference to how well it'll flex and grip.

Also try for making the sole consistently something protective like what adidas did with Silas's second shoe where the sole was made to spread impact where the heel lands

Any cupsole ideas try to make them like the puma suede cupsole, it's thin but surprising not too thin that you lose impact protection and still get a nice amount of board feel

Last 3 pairs were new balance pj ladd, new balance Quincy, and now the Nike sb blazer low. I know it bad I'm supporting non skater root shoe brands but let's be real, they actually make really quality lasting shoes that feel good and work good.

You clearly havn't tried the sole they've been using since the Griffin came out...

micky682

« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2016, 08:25:02 AM »

Lakai holds up. Stop talking about things you don't know

micky682

« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2016, 08:26:06 AM »
Expand Quote

Hear me out...

[close]

What about having a stock insole in shoes,then selling a better option insole online and in stores for$5/10.

baravettski

« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2016, 08:33:01 AM »
Tate, yeah that one.

Micky, definitely an option.

micky682

« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2016, 09:24:32 AM »
Tate, yeah that one.

Micky, definitely an option.
eS is doing it so maybe wait a bit and see how theirs sells and how it is reviewed.

McCly

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -12
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2016, 11:49:58 AM »
I want those Kobe ankle cuffs, in any other color.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2016, 04:51:37 PM »
FTW reminds me about a guy in Philly who had an FTW tattoo and worked at a Carvel store. His nickname was Fudgie the Whale. Its better than his friend who was known as Ball Bag.

His friend wasn't named Cookie Puss?

coneklr

« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2016, 05:48:29 PM »
Fwiw, let me know if you want/need help with a website

baravettski

« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2016, 06:07:10 PM »
Fwiw, let me know if you want/need help with a website

definitely will. getting this name shit sorted then I'll hit you up, thanks!

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2016, 02:15:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Lakai holds up. Stop talking about things you don't know
Expand Quote

[close]
You clearly havn't tried the sole they've been using since the Griffin came out...

i know what im talking about, the lakai griffins were my second pair of lakais i ever owned(first were the carroll selects) and they were good for a month and a half but after that they started flopping. they looked really nice and skated nice but like emerica and eS they started to flop out. ive had the emerica laced and eS square 2's. nike doesnt flop out for a good while. i had a pair of janoskis that last a whopping 3 months before i gave them up. and it didnt flop like my griffins. seriously the quality rubber of the sole matters cause its what hold the upper together besides the stitching. if you got a good base youll have a good standing shoe.
yes

ZEBRA

« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2016, 11:12:11 PM »
Is the new name Proper now?? Like, officially??

I like it. Although, I wouldn't give a shit about the name as long as the shoes were good, I do like this name better.