Author Topic: [JENKEM] Johnny Layton Interview  (Read 13629 times)

Still Tippin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -33
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
Re: [JENKEM] Johnny Layton Interview
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 01:46:25 PM »
Sucks how many unproductive pros are still on teams and getting a paycheck and dudes like Jlay are getting the short end, whoever is steering the ship at tum yeto is blowing it

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 01:47:29 PM »
If I need boards from someone or whatever product, I can get it, but it�s the fact that I�m just not part of a team anymore that breaks my heart. Not being part of a family like Toy, I think that hurts the most. I mean, cut my pay� I�d skate for Toy Machine purely out of the love for Ed and for the brand and what it stood for.

...this history again. Shame on you Tempster. Toy Machine with a legend team would be rad.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 02:07:29 PM »
Sad. JLay is amazing. I'm glad he still has ties to skateboarding though. Stoked to see him working for Vans. I want to see him put out more parts for sure! Hopefully (as a Marketing coordinator), Vans will let him film more like a couple hours a day or so. I mean, videos are marketing the brand so why not?
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 02:12:29 PM »
seems a little odd that he'd be dropped for "not producing" when he has a whole part in the bag... 

Vans: we know you have a whole part filmed, and we are going to let Hunt give you all the footage back for the part... but we aren't going to renew your contract because you haven't been producing anything, oh, and you don't have a part for the video. 

Toy:  we know you have a whole part filmed, and Hunt gave you all the footage for it, and we could release it as a stand-alone Toy Machine part, but... since you haven't been producing anything, like, say, a full part for us to use, we're going to have to let you go.

did I miss something?

hardly art, hardly starving

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 02:56:00 PM »
Favorite Parts:

"I could still go out and fuckin' switch tre something and still hold my own. I still roll into a skatepark or a spot and people are like, 'Look it's J Lay!'"

"I'm not the average build skateboarder so you gotta just roll with the punches and pretty much just tell people to go fuck themselves. Can you fuckin' switch tre this? Nope? Alright, then fuck off."

He does seem really bummed out about his career ending. Glad it worked out for him with Vans and he has a job in skateboarding. That could have went really bad for him and his fam. Pretty much down to the day his severance pay was going to run out. Scary.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 03:03:45 PM »
This is weird. Were his boardsales down that much? I care more about J-lay than that European kid that just got on, he's got a good 5 more years in him, what the fuck.

sms_b

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 03:09:13 PM »
the tempster holds contempt for any pros that have children, that's why he lets them go. prove me wrong.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 03:14:21 PM »
the tempster holds contempt for any pros that have children, that's why he lets them go. prove me wrong.

At Home With Billy Marks and His Kids - KING OF THE ROAD

That was easy

BMCsteve

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 03:15:56 PM »

Bennett

Xtal.

• Rep: -406
  • Less is more stay pure, stay poor
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 03:16:35 PM »
Johnny layton on the killing floor would be cool

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 03:44:10 PM »
He kicked skateboardings ass
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 03:46:11 PM »
Does Ed realize that Josh Harmony is still on the team?
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 03:58:58 PM »

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -116
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 04:01:58 PM »
If I need boards from someone or whatever product, I can get it, but it�s the fact that I�m just not part of a team anymore that breaks my heart. Not being part of a family like Toy, I think that hurts the most. I mean, cut my pay� I�d skate for Toy Machine purely out of the love for Ed and for the brand and what it stood for.

...this history again. Shame on you Tempster. Toy Machine with a legend team would be rad.

Johnny Layton will forever have a spot in skating for me. I watched his Good & Evil Part to no end growing up. Yes, it is a bummer about Toy Machine, but good for him to still have what appears to be a solid back up plan. Not to mention at this current point in time, Toy Machine is awful. And that hurts me to say, as I loved that brand to no end. But Stephens retired, Layton left, Jordan went to WKND (good for him), and such is life. I would like a Leo Romero part though....the graphics are some other artist doing his "twist" on Templeton graphics....

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2016, 04:17:42 PM »

josh harmony

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2016, 04:22:17 PM »
J-Lay has always been one of my favorites ever since Good & Evil. It's really a bummer that he unwillingly got dropped while there are so many dudes with pro careers who haven't done shit in years. Even if his coverage slowed down a bit he definitely wasn't at the bottom of the barrel for any of the respective teams, especially when you consider some of the guys still on Vans didn't even have full parts in Propeller. If his was just dropped somewhere in the middle it would have been one of my favorites in the video.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 04:28:00 PM »
This is Josh Harmony's latest coverage. Let it speak for itself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAaAA-Mfc1Q

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2016, 04:32:06 PM »
was fully expecting them to tackle the whole selling weed rumor that went around... odd they didn't.

i love me some Johnny just like everyone else... but i've heard he's a tad bit up his own ass, and always was.  he also has a Bob Marley poster hung up in his living room... i question just about anyone making that move. 

but yeah... keeping Josh Harmony and not Johnny is regular... but Josh does have years of seniority over him.

nylin

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2016, 04:32:52 PM »
Does Ed realize that Josh Harmony and Billy Marks are still on the team?

The fact that Billy Marks is still getting paid for his disgusting skateboarding and Johnny Layton got kicked off of everything while still putting out amazing footage is fucked.

sfa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2016, 04:41:56 PM »
I need a coffee

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2016, 05:03:43 PM »
Not sure how any sane person could look at his Berrics part footage and think he wasn't producing.

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2016, 05:05:28 PM »
was fully expecting them to tackle the whole selling weed rumor that went around... odd they didn't.

i love me some Johnny just like everyone else... but i've heard he's a tad bit up his own ass, and always was.  he also has a Bob Marley poster hung up in his living room... i question just about anyone making that move. 

but yeah... keeping Josh Harmony and not Johnny is regular... but Josh does have years of seniority over him.

hahahahaha

Andrew

• Rep: 100
  • lightcatcher
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2016, 05:10:56 PM »
this was from 2009 but DAMN

The only thing you nerds grind down is yer keyboard keys.

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2016, 05:13:38 PM »
Fucking stoked this interview finally came out. It's such a bummer talking to him about it but he still kills it. For being fucked over so hard I can't believe how positive he is and that's he's still involved in the industry. It's also rad seeing how he didn't throw a fit on insta or even talk a bunch of shit when he got the chance.
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2016, 05:30:06 PM »
i hope Sinclair ends up stuck in a van with Trevor Colden.

Durndle

• Rep: 7
  • Denton. Gateway to Durndle
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2016, 05:33:49 PM »
I feel like whenever situations like this happen where somebody gets cut it's all because skaters and skaters that run companies are the least assertive people in the world. It seems odd being part of a team that they can go months without talking to anybody and then act surprised when "all of a sudden" they're cut.

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2016, 06:28:28 PM »
I feel like whenever situations like this happen where somebody gets cut it's all because skaters and skaters that run companies are the least assertive people in the world. It seems odd being part of a team that they can go months without talking to anybody and then act surprised when "all of a sudden" they're cut.

Thats why now they hire PRs.  :D

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2016, 06:32:59 PM »
judging from Sinclair's revolving-door track record with pros, i'd be willing to bet he had a lot more to do with this than Ed. �
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2016, 06:44:00 PM »
i don't know what happened but, i think it's pretty obvious that there was somewhat of a fight based on that toy ad calling him out alone. i don't think it was just that he 'wasn't producing enough'. as already mentioned, how much does josh harmony produce? this dude had his own clothing line on vans and his own shoe, he was kind of a big fucking deal to say the least. something had to have happened.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 06:46:09 PM by shouldn't »

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts