Author Topic: [JENKEM] Johnny Layton Interview  (Read 13635 times)

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
Re: [JENKEM] Johnny Layton Interview
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2016, 02:22:05 PM »
deep sixed by a dickpic.

Salty Lame Ass Poosey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -265
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2016, 02:22:46 PM »
Jlay knows what he did
Skateboarding don't owe you shit but wheel bite in the rain -Jake Pheps

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2016, 03:05:32 PM »
Something had to happen.  You don't just go from pro shoe/clothing line on a huge company and a pro board on a well respected board co. to nothing.  Look how many guys hang around in the industry for five plus years, "Not producing."  Love his skating, but would like to hear some other prospective.  At least Vans has his back. 

His Vans footage was pretty old actually. He wasn't skating at all, or doing anything. You can only milk that for so long. He had been talked to several times from both Vans and Toy according to a friend of mine who worked at Tum Yeto. Your name and past legacy is only worth so much, you gotta keep pushing and getting your shit done, in most cases. J Lay unfortunately couldn't PJ-it. Seems like he fell into a rut of not skating and just let it run for too long.

The whole being a husband and father excuse thing is bullshit really. Being a professional skateboarder, you forget about "work" pretty quickly. You have so much free time. If I had a kid right now, I'd be expected to show up to work every day, and work 9 or so hours. If a pro baseball player had a kid, he'd still have to show up to games, or show up to practice. You can't take a year off skateboarding because you had a kid.

Respect to J Lay. One of my favorite skaters of all time. His part in Good&Evil changed the way I looked at skating as an impressionable youngn.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2016, 03:18:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Something had to happen.  You don't just go from pro shoe/clothing line on a huge company and a pro board on a well respected board co. to nothing.  Look how many guys hang around in the industry for five plus years, "Not producing."  Love his skating, but would like to hear some other prospective.  At least Vans has his back. 
[close]

His Vans footage was pretty old actually. He wasn't skating at all, or doing anything. You can only milk that for so long. He had been talked to several times from both Vans and Toy according to a friend of mine who worked at Tum Yeto. Your name and past legacy is only worth so much, you gotta keep pushing and getting your shit done, in most cases. J Lay unfortunately couldn't PJ-it. Seems like he fell into a rut of not skating and just let it run for too long.

The whole being a husband and father excuse thing is bullshit really. Being a professional skateboarder, you forget about "work" pretty quickly. You have so much free time. If I had a kid right now, I'd be expected to show up to work every day, and work 9 or so hours. If a pro baseball player had a kid, he'd still have to show up to games, or show up to practice. You can't take a year off skateboarding because you had a kid.

Respect to J Lay. One of my favorite skaters of all time. His part in Good&Evil changed the way I looked at skating as an impressionable youngn.

I totally get what you're saying.  I know skating is not a stereotypical profession.  In my industry someone might have a kid, then take a week or two off.  I think we romanticize that pro skateboarding is about relationships and not actual production.  See PJ and Castillo.  If I just did nothing at my job for a year or five, I'd be gone.     

micky682

« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2016, 03:28:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This.

zippy z

« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2016, 06:27:56 PM »
This just shows how lame most of the CA industry is.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2016, 07:51:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
This.
This is so spot on, pro skateboarders are such babies when it comes to this kind of thing.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2016, 08:11:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
This.
[close]
This is so spot on, pro skateboarders are such babies when it comes to this kind of thing.
It is indeed a fair point. As a pro I wonder how much you really *need* to skate each day? Like I leave my house at 7:45 and get home at around 6:30 in the evening on a normal work day. Is there really any pro skaters out there that are putting in 8 hour days? Realistically you could skate like 4 hours a day and still be home in time for lunch if you wanted to. Maybe chuck in a few 6 hour days when you've got to travel to spots etc. Business trips (i.e. skate tours) could still be feasible too imho

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2016, 08:35:46 PM »
This is not much different from Pop's shit or Trepasso.   People can talk about footage but Trepasso and Pops weren't fallin off the map at all in terms of relevancy at the time they got demoted. Those dudes were still 'selling the brand'.  As stoked as you guys are for J-lay he wasn't 'that dude' for Toy in terms of brand repping (like he was at one point), maybe he was keeping you dudes stoked and thats rad.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 08:42:22 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

hufs calve muscles

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2016, 11:16:34 PM »
Dude is a beast! His skating is fucking rad.

I never, ever saw any of his Vans gear in the wild though. They pushed it hard didn't they?

It's been a good day to check Slap for interviews today.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2016, 11:22:14 PM »
Dude is a beast! His skating is fucking rad.

I never, ever saw any of his Vans gear in the wild though. They pushed it hard didn't they?

It's been a good day to check Slap for interviews today.

I had a sweater of his that i got a vans store when his shoe was out, it think its still at my moms house. I also loved his shoe. Although they were a bit narrow at first for me once they broke in they were amazing. They were kinda like the No skool but was a bit more flexible.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 11:24:14 PM by Monkey_Mcpott »

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2016, 12:12:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
This.
[close]
[close]
It is indeed a fair point. As a pro I wonder how much you really *need* to skate each day? Like I leave my house at 7:45 and get home at around 6:30 in the evening on a normal work day. Is there really any pro skaters out there that are putting in 8 hour days? Realistically you could skate like 4 hours a day and still be home in time for lunch if you wanted to. Maybe chuck in a few 6 hour days when you've got to travel to spots etc. Business trips (i.e. skate tours) could still be feasible too imho

To add, there is a little bit of wiggle room as far as specific job duties are concerned, that's what so dangerous for the undisciplined pro. You are a contractor. You are your own boss, and you have clients that use you to help sell their product. That's really what your work is. Your work is whatever is outlined by your client as what they are paying you to do. In the pro skaters case, some of these things include:

- being good at skateboarding in general
- turning in photos for ads
- filming for promotional videos
- going on team trips
- skating (well) at demos and in general getting young kids excited about you and the brand
- attending random events (element make it count, no board left behind, for examples)
- updating social media in some cases. Posting team clips they ask you to post, sometimes posting product.
- having a sticker on your board for photo incentives.
- representing the brand in a positive light.

Plus more or less depending on the sponsor. You may even be required to wear certain things.

These are things that you don't punch in an 8 hour day to do. They take self discipline and motivation. When you don't have a boss it can be easy to slack off. But when you start missing those ads, not skating the demo, or just missing your job duties then shit comes down to.. I'm paying you each month to do all these things and I've gotten nothing. It's like if you contracted someone out to build your patio and they just stopped building it, you'd fire them.

In some ways, a professional skateboarder is a lazy job. But when you have 4,5 or 6 sponsors and they all require all these things, it would be easy to just say "fuck it" for awhile if there was no immediate consequence.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2016, 02:33:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
This.
[close]
[close]
[close]

To add, there is a little bit of wiggle room as far as specific job duties are concerned, that's what so dangerous for the undisciplined pro. You are a contractor. You are your own boss, and you have clients that use you to help sell their product. That's really what your work is. Your work is whatever is outlined by your client as what they are paying you to do. In the pro skaters case, some of these things include:

- being good at skateboarding in general
- turning in photos for ads
- filming for promotional videos
- going on team trips
- skating (well) at demos and in general getting young kids excited about you and the brand
- attending random events (element make it count, no board left behind, for examples)
- updating social media in some cases. Posting team clips they ask you to post, sometimes posting product.
- having a sticker on your board for photo incentives.
- representing the brand in a positive light.

Plus more or less depending on the sponsor. You may even be required to wear certain things.

These are things that you don't punch in an 8 hour day to do. They take self discipline and motivation. When you don't have a boss it can be easy to slack off. But when you start missing those ads, not skating the demo, or just missing your job duties then shit comes down to.. I'm paying you each month to do all these things and I've gotten nothing. It's like if you contracted someone out to build your patio and they just stopped building it, you'd fire them.

In some ways, a professional skateboarder is a lazy job. But when you have 4,5 or 6 sponsors and they all require all these things, it would be easy to just say "fuck it" for awhile if there was no immediate consequence.

I live in DC and have worked as a 1099 aka "Independent contractor" a lot due to Federal and industry connections.  I worked for a company based out of Alabama on a 60 day contract during the winter of 2015.  I never met anyone who worked there.  It was so easy to slack off.  I had no office or responsibility to show up for work, but the money was great.  I finished the project, but realized I needed a more structured environment. 

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2016, 04:58:52 AM »
those j lay shoes were rad when they came out..one of my buddies had these and always thought this color way with the white tongue looked rad.

good come sausage

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -606
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2016, 06:35:31 AM »

I heard from a homie who lived in Cali and broke into the scene a bit that JLay was moving mad weight, like selling weed was his first job, then pro skater.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

hufs calve muscles

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2016, 01:59:30 PM »
Man.. you are the worst.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3289
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2016, 09:18:26 AM »
A man with that set of skills, both in and out of the bathtub, should be legend status with his name on a deck forever.

IHOP

« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2016, 01:46:59 PM »
I've heard a ton of stories from industry heads of JLay just slacking off and having bullshit excuses for not skating or going on trips.  I assume he just got real lazy and bitchy and no one wanted to deal with him.  I'm not gonna dry snitch like makaveli, but you guys probably have that part figured out.