Author Topic: street axe shapes  (Read 1968 times)

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1069
street axe shapes
« on: June 22, 2016, 05:47:01 PM »
I'm looking into getting a street axe style board. I'm leaning toward the elephant one cause it's the only one I've had a chance to look at in person, other than my homies old chris cole one. I really like the elephant one but

Any suggestions on similar shapes and where to buy?

Jake From State Farm

Re: street axe shapes
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 06:36:48 PM »
Welcome has a Chris Miller board out right now that is probably what you're looking for.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 06:54:30 PM »
Welcome has a Chris Miller board out right now that is probably what you're looking for.

not the 10in? its too short and has no nose

Chavo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 07:03:17 PM »
The Black Label/Emergency Lucero 12XU looks good.

A shape I liked back in the '80s was the Santa Cruz Corey O'Brian Reaper (if you can live with a non-functional nose). Also, I do not know anything about the quality of SC re-issue wood.

JAesop

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 07:25:50 PM »

Blunted

The Claus Grabke re issue is sort of an axe shape but super short nose.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 07:28:19 PM by JAesop »

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 09:16:16 PM »
I have the street axe shape. The nose is pointy but it'm doesn't seem too small. I haven't skated it beyond cruising yet but I plan to try it out as a second setup next time I go skate. I got it from BMC and I know he took it out a few times so he should have some good info on how it performs. I'll post an update after i try it out.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

BMCsteve

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 09:25:16 PM »
The Street Plant Axe rules.  Its an updated version of the Elephant Axe with a longer nose and better concave.  Skates really well and never chipped or cracked.

Looks like SoCal has 2 left

Highly recommend.  Here are pics of mine -

danjtony

• Rep: -4
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 09:50:41 PM »
^^What size trucks you riding on there?

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 04:57:54 AM »
The Street Plant Axe rules.  Its an updated version of the Elephant Axe with a longer nose and better concave.  Skates really well and never chipped or cracked.

according to the measurements it's longer and not as wide, I like the elephant graphic better but this may be better. What's on this setup. I was planning on puttin my 149mm stage 9s on it with some 56mm shop wheels maybe some thin raisers

BMCsteve

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 07:15:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

according to the measurements it's longer and not as wide, I like the elephant graphic better but this may be better. What's on this setup. I was planning on puttin my 149mm stage 9s on it with some 56mm shop wheels maybe some thin raisers

That's exactly correct regarding the measurements.  Makes it a more skateable shape in my opinion.

That setup had 149's and 52mm F4's.  149's fit this shape perfect

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 11:44:25 AM »
What's the defining feature of an "axe" shape?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 01:40:32 PM »
That axe looks like a fish!  I think you rather go with what's cheap and the dimensions work with your trucks.....or you pony up a bit more and get a good reissue....I saw dog town had some sick stuff......

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 04:13:24 PM »
That axe looks like a fish!  I think you rather go with what's cheap and the dimensions work with your trucks.....or you pony up a bit more and get a good reissue....I saw dog town had some sick stuff......

I always associated the axe as the fish but with a pointy nose and the points over the back truck. I know it's usually a mike V sig shape, but i've seen other brands use it

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 05:06:53 PM »
It looks like an Alva Chris Cook....the cole has the rad cuts in the nose...

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 01:00:55 AM »
i skated the axe today at the skatepark and it was pretty fun. i landed a couple kickflips but if your foot lands in front of the back bolts youll toe drag cause of the weird taper. my 5-0s on tranny felt better but im not sure if that was because of the big square tail or just cause i started forcing myself to lift my nose a lot higher. also the nose is pretty small, didnt really try noseslides cause of it. overall id say go with something with a little more nose and less taper and it will probably be more fun.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2016, 11:22:18 AM »
I never understood why 80's street shapes had a pointy nose. 2 that stand out to me and I never owned a board from either of them in those models are TG and Natas.

I always ended up picking my boards with a blunt-ish nose. It just appealed to me more for whatever reason.

danjtony

• Rep: -4
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2016, 10:13:55 PM »
i skated the axe today at the skatepark and it was pretty fun. i landed a couple kickflips but if your foot lands in front of the back bolts youll toe drag cause of the weird taper. my 5-0s on tranny felt better but im not sure if that was because of the big square tail or just cause i started forcing myself to lift my nose a lot higher. also the nose is pretty small, didnt really try noseslides cause of it. overall id say go with something with a little more nose and less taper and it will probably be more fun.

Yeah, I wanted a street axe for a long time, but avoided getting one for those reasons. I rode a Zig Zagger for a while and even the slight taper on that threw me off (plus the tail was too skinny compared to the rest of the board).

I'm thinking this Heavy Metal Chuck shape from Assault would be more ideal: http://assaultskates.com/shop/images/HMC_CustomShape.jpg

Or maybe their GSD board: http://assaultskates.com/shop/images/GSD_WhiteDip.png

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2016, 03:24:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, I wanted a street axe for a long time, but avoided getting one for those reasons. I rode a Zig Zagger for a while and even the slight taper on that threw me off (plus the tail was too skinny compared to the rest of the board).

I'm thinking this Heavy Metal Chuck shape from Assault would be more ideal: http://assaultskates.com/shop/images/HMC_CustomShape.jpg

Or maybe their GSD board: http://assaultskates.com/shop/images/GSD_WhiteDip.png

I love that stain, but those graphics are not my thing. I went with the elephant deck. It was the only board I could get with free shipping. Ill post it in the setup thread when i set it up.

Thanks for the input.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2016, 03:47:17 PM »
I never understood why 80's street shapes had a pointy nose. 2 that stand out to me and I never owned a board from either of them in those models are TG and Natas.

I always ended up picking my boards with a blunt-ish nose. It just appealed to me more for whatever reason.

surfing....I'm guessing that's why Natas had a pointy nose....SMA had heavy surf influence....the other reason I've heard is on wall rides and pools....if you're carving....there are less contact points when you re-enter.....

The cole shape I think looks like an Alva board....Eddie rategui....the front notches are for grabbing....the rear points were suppose to be in front of the bolts and provide more strength in the breaking point....from jump ramping.....

For the most part shaped boards looked cool same as why kids today all went nuts over welcome boards....