Author Topic: New shoes and a new deck  (Read 9202 times)

HyenaChaser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
New shoes and a new deck
« on: March 13, 2016, 05:52:27 PM »
Being that I recently had to acquire both of these things within a couple weeks of each other, reminded me how new equipment can help your skating. The skater does the tricks, not shoes, but when your old pair is covered in various adhesives and duct tape, it's real nice when a fresh pair catches that flick just enough. Likewise, the revitalization in your pop when getting a new board is wonderful. I actually tend to skate a little better with new equipment, for a time anyway, or so I believe. I know that a lot of people like it once it's all worn in, and familiarity with your gear is great, but when the shoes keep your feet from bleeding and the board responds with some pep, it's real nice.

TLDR: Sometimes I like having new shit (not trucks though)
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: New shoes and a new deck
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 07:49:52 AM »
A few sessions in (or sometimes, a week or two or three) is the best for me. New board is still stiff but doesn't have that too stiff, not quite broken in yet feel.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 11:54:31 AM »
I used to get new shoes for every other deck. Boards lasted me about 3 weeks, so about every 6 weeks : new shoes. I'd generally take the shoes out fora walking-of-my-dogs to get them a smidge broke in, then next day, skate. Now I don't have the time , sucks.

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 02:21:33 PM »
new deck, old shoes

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 05:56:09 PM »
one time i had brand new shoes and a new deck with fresh mob. hahahahaha boy oh boy what a mistake that was.

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 07:15:38 PM »
one time i had brand new shoes and a new deck with fresh mob. hahahahaha boy oh boy what a mistake that was.

that and a brand new pair of Half Cabs... fucking nightmare

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 01:42:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I like fresh sheets of mob. It makes me feel safe.
I suck at flip tricks so I don't do them much which is probably why.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 09:27:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

they were actually the chimas so pretty damn close haha

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 487
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 03:31:02 PM »
old shoes and new deck w/ grip is the highest precision for me.
old deck, new shoes get the fuck outta here - hate it.
new shoes, new deck. it's ok but mostly a struggle.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 11:57:29 PM »
New board, old shoes. Old board,new shoes. Always.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 09:29:08 PM »
old shoes and new deck w/ grip is the highest precision for me.
old deck, new shoes get the fuck outta here - hate it.
new shoes, new deck. it's ok but mostly a struggle.
This. I cannot function with new shoes on an old board. New shoes have to be paired with a new board; I think it's because the new griptape wears the shoes down a little faster and therefor break the shoes in quicker.
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

jomeara1

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 06:35:32 PM »
Being that I recently had to acquire both of these things within a couple weeks of each other, reminded me how new equipment can help your skating. The skater does the tricks, not shoes, but when your old pair is covered in various adhesives and duct tape, it's real nice when a fresh pair catches that flick just enough. Likewise, the revitalization in your pop when getting a new board is wonderful. I actually tend to skate a little better with new equipment, for a time anyway, or so I believe. I know that a lot of people like it once it's all worn in, and familiarity with your gear is great, but when the shoes keep your feet from bleeding and the board responds with some pep, it's real nice.

TLDR: Sometimes I like having new shit (not trucks though)

oh fuck yeah

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 10:07:27 AM »
I try to do new board with new shoes or lightly used shoes as much as I can. I just enjoy the feeling of breaking both in at the same time. If it's a  board shape I'm used to and I'm used to the certain model of shoe then it's not too hard to break in at all; after the first ten minutes everything feels solid. If it's a shape you're not used to or a shoe you've never skated before (or both, God forbid) then the first couple sessions are pretty damn irritating.  Still, I prefer breaking em both in at the same time as often as I can, it just feels more right to me that way.

And I will also agree on the mass amount of suckage with the new shoes old board combo. It just don't feel right.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 05:17:38 AM »

Agreed. I never understood how pros in late 90's could skate brand new hi-tech stiff shoes all the time. Those things took a week to break in. Growing up broke, I could never get everything new. Naturally, new gear always made me feel funny to the point where I could barely do a trick until everything broke in.

The horrible combination of everything new is pure evil. Don't let me get started on new trucks...

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -114
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 06:35:24 AM »
A few sessions in (or sometimes, a week or two or three) is the best for me. New board is still stiff but doesn't have that too stiff, not quite broken in yet feel.

Music to my ears. Sometimes a little chip or the start of my ollie wear rules.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2016, 04:34:47 PM »
I just did the new deck new shoes for the first time in years. It felt awesome, gave me heaps of confidence, and then I busted my tailbone doing a shitty set up trick 1/2 hr into the session :/

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 10:16:31 PM »
I just did the new deck new shoes for the first time in years. It felt awesome, gave me heaps of confidence, and then I busted my tailbone doing a shitty set up trick 1/2 hr into the session :/

The board giveth and the board taketh away.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 814
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2016, 11:22:44 PM »
When i was younger i loved skating new shit, Now i hate it, i put it off until i cant stand it anymore. I mostly just skate the park on weekends now so a board can last me up to two months before i get razor tail or it looses shape or whatever. I do like Brand new dunks on a 2 or so week old board though, best kickflips ever. I cant fucking stand new bearings and wheels though .The bearings are too quiet and fast and makes me slip out on almost everything. Wheels are always slick as hell at first since i skate really hard ones. I just kinda hate new shit altogether.I try to buy the same shape board and style of shoe back to back to back.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2016, 03:33:41 AM »
I'm one of the few people in my circle of friends that loves the new board/new shoes combination. It's really nothing a few 5050's and Ollie/nollie's can't get worn into. after the first 30-40 minutes into the sesh my sessions feel amazing.

Eric ricks

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2016, 05:34:35 PM »
I'm one of the few people in my circle of friends that loves the new board/new shoes combination. It's really nothing a few 5050's and Ollie/nollie's can't get worn into. after the first 30-40 minutes into the sesh my sessions feel amazing.

Im with ya

And holy fuck I hate mob griptape. Never again will I buy that shit

I had to take a sander to it and mellow that shit out

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -8
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2016, 01:32:45 PM »
I skate my decks for like a year or more at a time so I really hate new decks. Takes like 2 weeks to get used to having pop again.

Just started skating cupsoles after too many years in vans and converse so new shoes suck too : / worth it when they're borked in tho

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2016, 05:08:25 PM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=90137.msg2465221#msg2465221 date=1458197849
New board, old shoes. Old board,new shoes. Always.

I concur.

Breaking in a new board is easier than breaking in new shoes. At least for me.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2016, 05:12:41 AM »
full new set up - even the bolts are new,
went up a size in truck height (actually went from thunders 149 high, which i really liked because they were really low, to indy standards),
board is that real twin construction crap that i so falsely thought was going to be amazing for making switch happen and where the nose is like skating the tail,
brand new shoes,

had not skated in 2 weeks.

last 2 sessions have been the 2 worst days in my time skating. the word awkward is too weak to describe the way i feel on my board

Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Jim and Dan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 468
  • Twenty-six Conversions in A.D. 46
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2016, 07:52:43 AM »
Old board, old shoes, old trucks, old wheels, old bearings...

I hate new shoes more than anything, hence why I keep buying them at the thrift for maximum feel.
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

"My boiz better take my body, and boardslide me down the fucking bridge, in San Francisco"

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2016, 07:57:11 AM »
In California for the summer, had to get whole new complete, wearing shoes that had been skated once, blasted my palm open doing a 180 on the street. The board giveth and the board taketh away.

glutton.

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2016, 08:59:19 AM »
I don't know why I did it but I skated a pair of canvas Hufs with a new board. The textile ripped apart from the outsole...it could have been saved with shoe goo, but I tossed them up on a powerline.

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2016, 06:57:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Agreed. I never understood how pros in late 90's could skate brand new hi-tech stiff shoes all the time. Those things took a week to break in. Growing up broke, I could never get everything new. Naturally, new gear always made me feel funny to the point where I could barely do a trick until everything broke in.

The horrible combination of everything new is pure evil. Don't let me get started on new trucks...

Rick McCrank in one interview said he was breaking in his shoes for 1-2 weeks by walking. This was in 2000's Accels era.

Now I feel that pros skate shoes just out of box. As the shoes are thinner, they tear much faster and are replaced more often.