Author Topic: Fitness thread / Healthy recipes  (Read 13580 times)

Squirrel Girl

Fitness thread / Healthy recipes
« on: July 11, 2016, 07:34:31 AM »
Over the last year, I've gotten really into road biking and dropped twenty pounds. Skateboarding, in turn, has become "easier". As in, my feet don't swell up anymore, and my pop has improved. I feel five years younger and no longer suffer from constant lethargy. There's no escaping the fundamental laws that govern the physical universe unless you're Fred Gall.

So, how do you guys stay in shape? Got any healthy recipes to share? Fitness tips? I'd love to skate long into old age. You'll have to pry my board out of my cold dead shit grab! Let's make it happen together. Skate or die friends!  :)

Matze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Fitness thread / Healthy recipes
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 07:46:24 AM »
started to run and work out 5 times a week in march, lost also 12kg. I try to stay away from bread and pasta, eat more fruits and salad, no sweets or soda, lot's of water. my co-worker got a smoothie maker so we have a lot of them in the morning.

I kinda don't care about the skateboarding part, I just wanna look good while being naked.

Squirrel Girl

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 08:15:29 AM »
started to run and work out 5 times a week in march, lost also 12kg. I try to stay away from bread and pasta, eat more fruits and salad, no sweets or soda, lot's of water. my co-worker got a smoothie maker so we have a lot of them in the morning.

I kinda don't care about the skateboarding part, I just wanna look good while being naked.

26 pounds!!! Congratulations dude! :D Hahaha looking good naked! Didn't you notice an improvement in your skating though?

I cut out most carbs too, otherwise, I'll go overboard and eat a whole loaf of bread. I also only started eating chicken and fish meat for moral and health reasons. My first job was on a farm, during slaughter I'd empty out cow/pig stomachs. It was disgusting and sad. The animals differently knew their fate, and would cry and look at you with those big sad black eyes. That shit keeps me up at night.  :-\

Anyways, sorry for the tangent and awesome work dude! Keep it up!  :)

coneklr

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 08:45:14 AM »
Fuck it, I'll chime in.

Getting married in August and my wife to be has been killing it working out and getting in shape so I thought this old man should do the same.  So far dropped about 15lbs in a few months and am hoping to lose about 5-10 more before the wedding next month.

Haven't really changed eating much with the exception of eating closer to an actual correct portion.  Fwiw, I don't drink soda or eat a ton of sweets but still fuck with bread and pasta and such.  I work out about 30 min a day on 2-3 different programs on the treadmill which involve speeds and inclines changing constantly.  Also add in  p90x ab ripper every other day and push/pull ups when I'm feeling it.

Closing in on the weight I was when I graduated high school ... which I haven't seen since then haha

Also, my back issues are way less intense and skating wise my body is now almost back to capable of what it used to be able to do, which is a nice benefit. ( bad back and heavier weight took away a lot of tricks and the confidence to even try, nothing is worse than rolling up to something and wanting to do a trick you could do every try a few years ago and not even be able to attempt it, biggest mindfuck and confidence drain ever, even happened on certain flatground tricks)

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 09:48:54 AM »
About a year and a half ago I managed to drop around 70 pounds by running an elliptical for an hour every day and just cutting down on all the garbage I eat. I've managed to put about 15 of it back on though so I gotta quit slipping and start trying to lose it again. My tip is to watch a movie or TV or some shit when you're working out/exercising if possible. I know, personally speaking, it's really fucking hard to commit to working out because I find it so boring. Distracting myself helped me stick with it.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

Brett

• Rep: -14
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 10:02:29 AM »
Doing a bunch of push ups throughout the day and planks for 1 min or more throughout the day works wonders and it doesn't cost a penny.
You can put in about 3 mins of work 3 or more times a day and your skating will improve dramatically in less than 7 days just cause of your core strength.
 Do the push ups till failure... start with ten if thats all you got. A week later you will be way above that number.

I was once a fitness trainer/nutritionist that spent way to much time in the gym and reading about being in the gym. Do what you find fun. Change it up and don't over do it.

Muscle requires more energy to function and will burn calories faster. If you lower your calorie intake and move more you will burn more than you intake thus dropping weight. If you are working out and using those muscles that weight will change from fat mass to muscle mass and your calorie intake will increase as your body will demand it to stay working optimally.

glutton.

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 10:15:46 AM »
At the very least, I do basic calisthenics and sprint. I mainly drink smoothies from: frozen fruit, ice, chia seeds and a little bit of water. If I cut out gluten for a week, I lose about five pounds in one week. I only do it if I get bloated from drinking and eating shitty. Pizza, pasta, beer and whiskeys can be hard to pass. It's also kind of difficult to get protein without eating meat or dairy, so I've been trying different plant-based protein powders. Until I find something decent, I'm going to eat yogurt and cheese.

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 11:25:20 AM »
If you're having trouble eating healthier, get a crockpot. You can grab one for about $20 at Target and they are great. Throw some ingredients  in the morning, head of to work (or skate... whatever), come home and you have a healthy dinner waiting. I make this about once a week with some cauliflower rice - http://www.theironyou.com/2014/09/easy-creamy-crock-pot-coconut-curry.html
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 02:09:40 PM »
dont bring bad food in the house.....go to bed before midnight.....pack a lunch.....

JAesop

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 02:52:05 PM »
Doing a bunch of push ups throughout the day and planks for 1 min or more throughout the day works wonders and it doesn't cost a penny.
You can put in about 3 mins of work 3 or more times a day and your skating will improve dramatically in less than 7 days just cause of your core strength.
 Do the push ups till failure... start with ten if thats all you got. A week later you will be way above that number.

I was once a fitness trainer/nutritionist that spent way to much time in the gym and reading about being in the gym. Do what you find fun. Change it up and don't over do it.

Muscle requires more energy to function and will burn calories faster. If you lower your calorie intake and move more you will burn more than you intake thus dropping weight. If you are working out and using those muscles that weight will change from fat mass to muscle mass and your calorie intake will increase as your body will demand it to stay working optimally

This^^^ the keys are to make activity fun and to change what you eat.^^^

It's all about the diet so I don't eat any carbs unless they are natural, like vegetables or some limited fruits. No refined sugars and no sugar substitutes outside of pure stevia sometimes. Lots of good fats and moderate protein, usually eggs or fish.No bread for sure. Bodies adapt and I have found that even if I increase the amount of exercise but don't eat well I eventually lose any gains.
I ride a road bike, mountain bike or trail run and try to lift weights or kettle bells 3 x weekly outside of skating.I usually don't plan on what I am going to do, I just decide that day.if I feel like running I run, feel like bike - I ride. Sometimes I swim. It has to be fun or it gets old fast.
I have seen more benefit from changing my diet than anything else. My energy level stays even and I can go many hours skating or riding before feeling hungry or tired.I sometimes have to remind myself to eat because I just don't get hungry.
It feels good to skate hard for a few hours and still have energy when everybody else is sitting down or bitching about being sore.

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 03:19:34 PM »
I box and kickbox. Yes, I am a jock. Thank you for asking.

I also try my best to just eat at home. I'm of the opinion that it almost doesn't even matter what you cook; as long as the ingredients are high quality, you'll be way better off physically and financially than with most anything you'd be eating out.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 03:22:17 PM by Baron Samedi »

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 03:28:27 PM »
I have a fruit and veggie subscription with local farmers, bi weekly- 250$ for the season
Considering signing up with Orange Theory fitness, anyone into it?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 07:29:56 PM »
Well this is my type of thread ;)
I'm kind and in and out of training though due to having a kid/ working a job with lots of business trips.
Here's my usual schedule:
- train 3 hours every Sunday in martial arts
- re-train what I've learned during my lunch break at least once a week
- do a few rounds of push ups/ yoga when I'm at home and my boy feels like playing around (he loves to climb all over me when I'm doing yoga)
- try and skate once a week
- gym when I can
That all sounds pretty good, but as I said it's not as consistent as it could be. My partner is a body builder so she teaches me all the gym shit but absolutely annihilates me in terms of weight. Funnily enough she can't help but lose weight while I struggle in this area (in part probably due to being inconsistent), used to have a lot less around the belly when I ran more too. Our diet is pretty clean but both of us love the carbs. I don't think carbs are *that* bad though, I mean I'm not in team #carbthefuckup or anything but if you are eating relatively cleanly/ exercising a lot then carbs shouldn't be too much of a problem. We'll swap out the pasta for zoodles every once in a while (especially now that it's summer) but you need to eat a fuck tonne of zoodles to fill up. Pretty much only eat overnight oats for brekkie (occasionally I'll do some scrambled tofu/ baked beans if we've got some nice bread). But yeah, I have a feeling that if I got up early and ran 3 mornings a week I would be ripped in no time :-\ Similar to tracer (what is the world coming to?) we get a weekly delivery of local organic veges and try to use them up before going to buy anymore groceries. It's great because it forces you to eat seasonally and be creative with veges that you might not otherwise buy.
As for recipes, what sort of stuff are you looking for?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 07:36:28 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Joe Pesci

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 09:20:58 PM »
cut out as much dairy and cheese as you can, drink water and you will lose weight

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 09:45:49 PM »
Skateboarding is my exercise other than that I eat food until I hate myself.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 10:19:35 PM »
cut out as much dairy and cheese as you can, drink water and you will lose weight
I'm pretty sure I'm the exception to this rule at the moment :-[

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 11:04:22 PM »
I have a crazy fast metabolism so it's not fair....but I swapped out a ton of training, yoga, sports....just to skate more....I just thought I'd feel like if I didn't do this I'd feel like a shithead later in life.....I like kicking it w. skaters....

Now I get to the gym maybe three times a week and a gnarly hike once a week....I pretty much just do injury prevention stuff and coast at the gym....

Definitely cutting back on pasta, bread, meat can put you on healthier paths......

No juice or soda...pretty much become a better person in the grocery isle...

vancanman

• Rep: 9
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2016, 11:38:01 PM »
I have a crazy fast metabolism so it's not fair....but I swapped out a ton of training, yoga, sports....just to skate more....I just thought I'd feel like if I didn't do this I'd feel like a shithead later in life.....I like kicking it w. skaters....

Now I get to the gym maybe three times a week and a gnarly hike once a week....I pretty much just do injury prevention stuff and coast at the gym....

Definitely cutting back on pasta, bread, meat can put you on healthier paths......

Does this mean you have to cut back on the custom blizzards?

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2016, 02:01:33 AM »
Ha, I go to the gym to get my core strength up and also build my upper body (legs too obviously). I need to gain (muscle) weight, since I am the skinny type, who only gets some belly fat. Seems like pasta is all good for people into fitness, but the amount of it should not be too crazy.

Every time I can't skateboard for a while, my physical fitness drops drops considerably, so I am now a regular in the gym. Better prepared for those times when a long skate session is possible.

One major obstacle in my workplace: everyone knows that junk food is junk, so they bring the sweets they get as gifts to work and leave it there for others to consume. There is some free sweet temptation everyday.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2016, 11:34:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Does this mean you have to cut back on the custom blizzards?

Custom blizzards cut back on me!  No more substitutions.....

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2016, 11:59:01 PM »
I usually have the same breakfast and lunch every day. Breakfast is usually oats with a banana and blueberries, 4 egg whites, and cup of coffee (black, no creamer or sugar). Lunch I do a turkey avocado sandwich with spinach and probably another banana. Dinner is usually something new every day unless the wifey meal prepped. Usually its something fresh and organic, we shop at whole foods a lot. Once a week i usually do treat myself to some pizza, the only food i couldn't bare giving up.

For a while i was going to the gym more than skating and although i was losing weight i wasn't getting anymore comfortable with skating which is what i really wanted. Recently is started skating 3-4 days a week at least 2 hours and gym on the days i don't go skate. I have since gotten much comfortable on the board which i had lost touch of after years of on and off skating. My stamina had improved and i got comfortable enough to start learning new tricks which I've hadn't been able to do for years. And because I'm still breaking a sweat on every session I'm losing weight but more slowly and confortably.

I also stretch every single day, even if i don't skate. I just turned 28 and feel I'm in the best shape I've ever been in my life.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2016, 12:17:04 AM »
I skate probably like 4 days a week but I think I skated too much the last few weeks and my bad knee has been killing me so I stay in and eat chicken nuggets. Sometimes I drink too much and throw up the chicken nuggets which helps keep me svelte and healthy

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2016, 04:29:26 AM »
I think a big part of weight control is portion control.  In certain European countries I've been to where there are not a lot of over weight people, they eat bread, fatty meats, cheese, etc.  But, they do it in small portions.  In the US, if you get takeout, bring it home and put it on a plate, it's easily two meals.  For example, a steak should be about 4-6oz, not 12-16 like in a steakhouse.  Pizza is fine, just eat one slice.  Also, just moving around.  Walk to the store instead of driving.  I'm lucky to have two big dogs, so I know I'm walking 30-45 minutes 2x a day at minimum, then exercise/skating on topo of that.  Eating at home with good ingredients is also key. 

Joe Davola

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2016, 06:13:48 AM »
Everything you have ever been told about fitness and health is a fucking lie.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2016, 06:16:15 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

26 pounds!!! Congratulations dude! :D Hahaha looking good naked! Didn't you notice an improvement in your skating though?

can't really tell, cause this summer the weather has been like shit and my local skate spot is closed for the next the two seasons ... it's less skating, which means less board control, which is worse skating.

Squirrel Girl

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2016, 07:08:32 AM »
Well this is my type of thread ;)
I'm kind and in and out of training though due to having a kid/ working a job with lots of business trips.
Here's my usual schedule:
- train 3 hours every Sunday in martial arts
- re-train what I've learned during my lunch break at least once a week
- do a few rounds of push ups/ yoga when I'm at home and my boy feels like playing around (he loves to climb all over me when I'm doing yoga)
- try and skate once a week
- gym when I can
That all sounds pretty good, but as I said it's not as consistent as it could be. My partner is a body builder so she teaches me all the gym shit but absolutely annihilates me in terms of weight. Funnily enough she can't help but lose weight while I struggle in this area (in part probably due to being inconsistent), used to have a lot less around the belly when I ran more too. Our diet is pretty clean but both of us love the carbs. I don't think carbs are *that* bad though, I mean I'm not in team #carbthefuckup or anything but if you are eating relatively cleanly/ exercising a lot then carbs shouldn't be too much of a problem. We'll swap out the pasta for zoodles every once in a while (especially now that it's summer) but you need to eat a fuck tonne of zoodles to fill up. Pretty much only eat overnight oats for brekkie (occasionally I'll do some scrambled tofu/ baked beans if we've got some nice bread). But yeah, I have a feeling that if I got up early and ran 3 mornings a week I would be ripped in no time :-\ Similar to tracer (what is the world coming to?) we get a weekly delivery of local organic veges and try to use them up before going to buy anymore groceries. It's great because it forces you to eat seasonally and be creative with veges that you might not otherwise buy.
As for recipes, what sort of stuff are you looking for?

That's cool your girlfriend is really into fitness.  :) I tried getting my man into shape, but to no avail.

I bought the cook book Thug Kitchen, and occasionally try making recipes, but some of the ingredents are hard to get ahold of. So I've had mixed success. I've always wanted to make zoodles, want that Kitchenaid spiralizer attachment! We mostly just make big salads, which has been working out alright for weight loss but gets mundane.  :-\

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2016, 07:55:19 AM »
We did the weekly organic delivery and the lady ran off with our money.....I somehow felt like I deserved it...

straight

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2016, 10:43:52 AM »
I'm 28 and just shy of being one year no alcohol. I don't smoke weed or cigarettes either. I'm straight edge. I've never felt better in my whole life. Always been skinny person but when I was heavy on booze I was fat and bloated. Dropped 30 lbs since and currently 5'11 and 155.

I'm trying to get a six pack and build some muscle now so my latest diet fad has been intermittent fasting. Been dropping belly fat like crazy since I started. The idea is that you fast for 16 hours straight and eat within an 8 hour window. So I start eating around 11am and finish dinner at 7. Start all over next day. It's not that bad because most of the hours spent fasting are sleep hours.

I've cut out carbs, soda and all junk food and no more desert (which is hard cuz I love chocolate ice cream). Only buy my meat from whole foods. Planks and push-ups every day. And just started using those elastic resistance bands for arm workouts. Haven't skated all summer cuz it's way too hot. Can't wait for the to cool back down so I can start that up again.

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2016, 06:00:49 PM »
How do I gain weight? Help me figure that one out, because I'm pretty sure it's not possible.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2016, 07:31:21 PM »
That's cool your girlfriend is really into fitness.  :) I tried getting my man into shape, but to no avail.

I bought the cook book Thug Kitchen, and occasionally try making recipes, but some of the ingredents are hard to get ahold of. So I've had mixed success. I've always wanted to make zoodles, want that Kitchenaid spiralizer attachment! We mostly just make big salads, which has been working out alright for weight loss but gets mundane.  :-\

So cool that I made her my wife <3 She still smokes me so hard when it comes to fitness though.
Good purchase on the thug kitchen book, what sort of ingredients are you having a hard trouble finding? When in doubt → iherb
We just got on of these zoodle makers for the meantime:
https://www.amazon.com/GEFU-13460-Spirelli-Spiral-Slicer/dp/B0026RMEK4
Cheap and it does the job. I can make a mean raw pesto to go with it too! Been making quite a lot of raw sweets too lately
How good are DATES??? :o