Author Topic: Fitness thread / Healthy recipes  (Read 13587 times)

Durndle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 7
  • Denton. Gateway to Durndle

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: Fitness thread / Healthy recipes
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2016, 11:00:10 PM »
no more desert (which is hard cuz I love chocolate ice cream).
Nice cream though? 3 frozen bananas and some sort of mylk is hardly gunna make you stack on the kilos. Chuck in some chocolate-flavoured protein powder and it will get super creamy!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2016, 11:29:36 PM »
I make chocolate chia pudding and it's not bad.....stick frozen bananas in my juicer and it makes ice cream....

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2016, 11:33:11 PM »
stick frozen bananas in my juicer and it makes ice cream....
Yeah basically that↑ I don't have a vitamix or anything so it needs a little liquid in there too. Top that shit off with some crushed walnuts, a dash of salt and some maple syrup and it's like fucking gourmet dessert right there!

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2016, 12:49:00 AM »
My job basically makes me be in shape. I do everything I can to counteract that by drinking in my off time.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

vancanman

• Rep: 9
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2016, 02:28:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I have a crazy fast metabolism so it's not fair....but I swapped out a ton of training, yoga, sports....just to skate more....I just thought I'd feel like if I didn't do this I'd feel like a shithead later in life.....I like kicking it w. skaters....

Now I get to the gym maybe three times a week and a gnarly hike once a week....I pretty much just do injury prevention stuff and coast at the gym....

Definitely cutting back on pasta, bread, meat can put you on healthier paths......

No juice or soda...pretty much become a better person in the grocery isle...
[close]

Does this mean you have to cut back on the custom blizzards?
[close]

Custom blizzards cut back on me!  No more substitutions.....
Motherfuckers.

On the diet side. Eating mostly low glycemic load foods is a pretty sure fire way to head in the right direction. Also lowering your omega 6 intake can really help with inflammation which causes water retention. Makes a big difference in recovery and soreness from skating. I've also messed with intermittent fasting before. Eating all your food in a day in an 8 hour window then not eating the other 16. I went from a flat stomach to a six pack in two months with relatively no other changes. It might have cut out some late night stoner snacking but I still ate 3 meals and roughly the same calories. After 12 hours the idea is that your out of stored glycogen and your body must burn stored fat for its energy needs. Seemed to work for me. It's hard to burn enough calories exercising to loose a lot of weight. Diet will make 80% of the difference when I comes to losing body fat. I find exercise makes a much bigger difference in how I actually feel though.

Big Sweatpants

• Rep: -66
  • KOOKIN' IT SO FUCKING HARD
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2016, 01:53:54 PM »
Cigarettes, Everclear, and lots of water.

Just enough coke to get through the week, coke to get high on the weekends.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2016, 12:19:40 PM »
Very interesting thread. A year after I got clean and sober, I started working out. Was 121 pounds, skinny as hell, now I'm 154, way stronger, have been on 5x5 for a while now. I can squat 165, overhead press near a 100, deadlift 198. I know it is not much, but damn, gaining muscle mass is super hard if you have crappy genetics of an ex-dopefiend! People always bitch about losing weight, trust me, it is just as hard to gain weight.

Wish all you fellows a healthier future!

ciaran

• Rep: 22
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2016, 03:49:37 PM »
This thread is a goldmine of useful info.

Personally I go running 3-4 mornings per week after dropping my son to kindergarten.  We don't have a car, so hail, rain or shine, winter or summer, I'm running.  There's a few chin-up bars, parallel bars and olympic rings scattered around the park where I run, so I'll do a few different callisthenics-based exercises which are great to absolutely kill me.
Ashtanga yoga 3-4 mornings a week on the days the boy isn't in pre-school.  I've been doing this 15 years now, it's rad.
I cycle everywhere in an extremely hilly city on a heavy, 35 year old 3-speed.  It's still fast as fuck though.
Kickboxing/callisthenics training once a week.  Aside from the fitness boost, I'm not sure it actively helps me skating, other than helping me skate longer, or perhaps build more resilience and persistence.
Skating itself 2-3 sessions per week if I'm lucky due to work, weather and that whole family lark.  Definitely need to work on mental visualisation and turning of my mind when I skate as I overthink too often which makes me skate way shittier than I could be.

Foodwise, I cook practically everything from fresh.  No red meat, chicken and fish 2-3 times per week, lots of pulses, grains, salads, slow cooked curries, that kind of thing.  No ready meals, nothing like that.  Saves a ton of cash.  Still like beer, desserts, cake and chocolate, but I eat all that in moderation - generally, I feel fit as fuck in body and mind, though after a heavy weekend with many pints and hangover comfort food, I can definitely feel my brain starting to slow down.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2016, 04:10:39 PM »
Expand Quote
That's cool your girlfriend is really into fitness.  :) I tried getting my man into shape, but to no avail.

I bought the cook book Thug Kitchen, and occasionally try making recipes, but some of the ingredents are hard to get ahold of. So I've had mixed success. I've always wanted to make zoodles, want that Kitchenaid spiralizer attachment! We mostly just make big salads, which has been working out alright for weight loss but gets mundane.  :-\
[close]

So cool that I made her my wife <3 She still smokes me so hard when it comes to fitness though.
Good purchase on the thug kitchen book, what sort of ingredients are you having a hard trouble finding? When in doubt → iherb
We just got on of these zoodle makers for the meantime:
https://www.amazon.com/GEFU-13460-Spirelli-Spiral-Slicer/dp/B0026RMEK4
Cheap and it does the job. I can make a mean raw pesto to go with it too! Been making quite a lot of raw sweets too lately
How good are DATES??? :o

omfg dude, I was eating mad dates a cpl years ago, then got one that was filled with this greenish black fluffy mould, so fucking gross it into it and a puff of the spores all flew in my face and everywhere, including my mouth, really fucked up taste that's hard to describe. Don't think I have had one since.

As for a health tip, learn to cook beans so you really like them, chickpeas, white kidney beans, black beans, you can make them is a lot of different traditional ways from around the world that are unique and delicious. Put them on a salad, fry some rice with them, make a burrito whatever, its seriously the best.

Tracer

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2016, 04:13:37 PM »
Purple beets are the fukkin bomb superfood

straight

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2016, 04:20:31 PM »
Speaking of beans, here's a really easy recipe I make on the reg.

Two cans of garbanzo beans (obviously drain the water),
one avocado,
couple heirloom tomatoes because they taste way better than genetic clones,
slice one jalapeņo,
diced Mexican green onions or just green onions,
chop up some mozzarella.

Mix it all up in a big bowl and pour on some olive oil and balsamic vinegar plus a lil salt n pepper

Healthy tastes good and takes less than five minutes

HeadInLionsMouth

• Rep: 139
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2016, 06:37:47 PM »
As a joke, I tweeted, "It is with great reluctance and little fanfare that I declare this, "The Summer of Vegetables". After some reflection, it didn't seem like a bad idea.  I'm usually pretty good about eating greens, but I figured I'd try and double the amount of vegetables I eat, and in turn cut back on some less healthy food choices.

It's been great so far, except the insane amount of gas the veggies give me...

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2016, 10:33:54 PM »
yea, gass can be problematic. however, I found out that just a few types of pulses are to blame so I cut substituted them with some others

spungo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
  • Lord Ganesha
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2016, 05:59:31 AM »
I'm 41 years old. Bikram yoga, Pilates, eat right, no soda.  I just keep telling myself how ugly and out of shape I am so I can consistently shame myself into being healthy.
do more yoga!

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2016, 12:36:10 PM »
i dropped 75 lbs last year, probably a bit too quickly but i've managed to keep it off for almost a year now. full diet change and just skating as much as possible, lots of parking garage sessions all winter long helped a lot. obv helped skating a lot too. i was at my worst/heaviest in my life and now am at my best, which is still a low level but it keeps skating fun for me.

started lifting weights about 6 months ago, mostly upper body, and trying to still skate as much as possible. diet isnt as strict anymore, i usually do good about 5 days a week and then eat whatever i want on the weekeneds. i've kinda plateaued but im happy like this and i know i cant really keep it up if i add more exercise or have a stricter diet. i prolly need more core excercises and to burn more calories but i dont really have the time or willpower to add running to my schedule. idk if lifting has really helped my skating but i dont worry as much about slamming hard, and i dont get as sore after skating or filming all day.

my gf is super good cook and has a high metabolism so it makes it hard to eat healthy when im with her, but its not really a problem. eat lots of yogurt, cottage cheese, granola and i love just straight spinach/arugula/char/kale, i just eat it straight out of the bag every day. only drink every few weeks too, and then its usually wine or gin, rather than beer.

also going from smokign weed a few times a day to quitting outright helped in a lot of ways, mainly in feeling motivated to get exercise/work out.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2016, 07:15:45 PM »
omfg dude, I was eating mad dates a cpl years ago, then got one that was filled with this greenish black fluffy mould, so fucking gross it into it and a puff of the spores all flew in my face and everywhere, including my mouth, really fucked up taste that's hard to describe. Don't think I have had one since.

Dude :-\ I actually had to use your story as an excuse to go for a skate and "touch wood" after I read it. I pray that I never ever encounter that as I fucking love dates!!!

Okay I'm really digging this thread but can we talk about some exercise(s) that actually helped with your skating? Of course yoga is gunna help (remember Matt Field? Dude was bendy as fuck) but what else are you doing to get those shitfties boned to the max?

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2016, 07:31:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Dude :-\ I actually had to use your story as an excuse to go for a skate and "touch wood" after I read it. I pray that I never ever encounter that as I fucking love dates!!!

Okay I'm really digging this thread but can we talk about some exercise(s) that actually helped with your skating? Of course yoga is gunna help (remember Matt Field? Dude was bendy as fuck) but what else are you doing to get those shitfties boned to the max?
Yeah it was gross as fuck, if i can offer any advice, take the seed out with your fingers first, might be a bit messier, but man biting into one with that mould on the inside is not fun. It's not a super uncommon thing either.

Push-ups have definitely helped my skating in all respects I think. Not super sure on good form or whatever but i do them on my knuckles with a far spread

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2016, 11:42:13 AM »
You can find this easily in used bookstores, anyone interested in a subjective, but science-based look at what a healthy human diet is, should check it out. It is not a particularly good cookbook, but it is the only nutrition book I have ever appreciated, and it actually prompted me to make some changes in the way I eat.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 11:45:59 AM by botefdunn »

ungzilla

« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2016, 12:24:46 PM »
A few years ago I was up around in the 230 or 240 lb range, and put my back out tying my shoes, obviously, fuck that. Muscle strain or minor slipped disc, my doctor and physical therapist didn't agree, I don't know what it ended up being. But that was impetus for losing weight, as I was basically crippled for like 2 weeks after that. When I recovered, I bought a trainer for my road bike and plopped it in front of my computer monitor and watched skate video playlists for an hour a day, and mixed it up with body weight exercises ("be your own gym" is a good compendium of such, but I'm sure plenty are available on the internet). It was boring and hard to keep up the routine.

I made a conservative estimate of my caloric intakes and shot for being 500 under each day (on average, I tried to have days where I was further under, and other days where I'd be slightly over, I don't know why, I just read that it was a thing to do).

I got down to 175 or so that way, and stayed there for a long time without too much difficulty. This past February I had creeped back up to 200, and that spurred me into diet mode again, and have made longer term/better changes or possibly more effective changes that are easier to maintain, not sure. But down to 155 now, also the most fit I've ever been in my whole life, high school included. I still keep track of all calories, but now in an excel spreadsheet, and weigh-in a couple times a week.

Changes to diet: no soda at all ever. Buy seltzer if you want the fizz (which I do). Lots of fruit, eggs, pack a lunch. I could honestly eat healthier, I still have a wicked sweet tooth that occasionally needs to be sated. Oh and I pretty much entirely avoid beer now, not more than a couple a month I reckon.

Workout: I have no rhyme or reason here, I don't know shit, but I do a lot of body weight exercises still: pull-ups of various types, pushups of various types, sit-ups of various types, planks, supermans, squats, lunges, etc. I don't own any free weights because I don't want to own shit. I bike everywhere, to and from work everyday (8 miles minimum a day, which isn't much really), any errands I have to do that can be done on bike, I'll do on bike. I bike to and from places hard, I like to get a sweat going and I have that Strava app running so I can keep track of mileage, and setting personal records on various segments is at least kinda rewarding. Lastly I skate as much as possible. If not feeling skating I'll go for a hike or a bike ride, but I've gotten to the point where if I'm not being super active I feel like a pile of trash. I've probably given myself some kind of new psychological disorder or something.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 12:27:15 PM by ungzilla »

Righteous Victim

• Rep: 110
  • Get yourself looked at.
    • Letterboxd avatar image
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2016, 01:55:47 PM »
I think I fucked my arm doing pushups. Not muscle pain. Tendon or something below the shoulder. It doesn't hurt at all if I do nothing. I'll start doing pushups and it's fine for the first week or so but the pain comes and gets worse if I keep doing it. Anyone know what that is?

I might be doing them lopsided or something.

spungo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
  • Lord Ganesha
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2016, 05:31:35 AM »
Here's an article that came out in the local paper and online about my yoga studio.  This is what I do and there's no way I could still skateboard with my old injuries and shit without this.  Look in your town for a Bikram yoga studio too.  If you watch the video that accompanies the video that's me teaching with the tattoos.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/entertainment_life/health_fitness/article_d3bc7ada-5a69-11e6-bc04-f3feb1704297.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=user-share
do more yoga!

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2016, 02:43:24 PM »
Here's an article that came out in the local paper and online about my yoga studio.  This is what I do and there's no way I could still skateboard with my old injuries and shit without this.  Look in your town for a Bikram yoga studio too.  If you watch the video that accompanies the video that's me teaching with the tattoos.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/entertainment_life/health_fitness/article_d3bc7ada-5a69-11e6-bc04-f3feb1704297.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=user-share
That's so rad. I need to get into this. I tried yoga when I was younger but I was too much of a spazz to sit still for it.

Squirrel Girl

« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2016, 09:22:09 PM »
I think I fucked my arm doing pushups. Not muscle pain. Tendon or something below the shoulder. It doesn't hurt at all if I do nothing. I'll start doing pushups and it's fine for the first week or so but the pain comes and gets worse if I keep doing it. Anyone know what that is?

I've experienced similar pain with a muscle in my neck. I was doing 50 pushups a day regardless of the pain, and it seemed to have sorted itself out after a month. Maybe we pulled a muscle? Either way, I'm too happy with my fitness results to suddenly stop when something hurts. I'm probably a fucking idiot, so YMMV.  :)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2016, 11:35:14 PM »
Rotator cuff....prolly.......

skateordie

• Rep: -38
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2016, 06:42:08 PM »
-100 chin ups
-100 push ups
-100 squats
-100 sit ups

do this routine a few times a week and you should be good.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 11:30:59 AM by skateordie »

Righteous Victim

• Rep: 110
  • Get yourself looked at.
    • Letterboxd avatar image
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2016, 06:52:34 PM »
I do 150 pushups, 10 chin ups, 0 squats, and 90 lunges a day.

150 pushups hurts but I was painlessly doing 200 last year before I fucked my arm.

Is it good to do nothing for a day(s)? I'm always worried about losing progress. I'm new to this whole 'taking care of yourself' business.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2016, 07:08:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've experienced similar pain with a muscle in my neck. I was doing 50 pushups a day regardless of the pain, and it seemed to have sorted itself out after a month. Maybe we pulled a muscle? Either way, I'm too happy with my fitness results to suddenly stop when something hurts. I'm probably a fucking idiot, so YMMV.  :)

make sure to have good form when doing push-ups. straight back and neck. if you hang your head when doing them, it can cause neck and shoulder pain. I don't know if that helps for you guys but it's good to keep in mind.

Tracer

« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2016, 07:57:02 PM »
I do 150 pushups, 10 chin ups, 0 squats, and 90 lunges a day.

150 pushups hurts but I was painlessly doing 200 last year before I fucked my arm.

Is it good to do nothing for a day(s)? I'm always worried about losing progress. I'm new to this whole 'taking care of yourself' business.
You gotta start lifting pushups are for fat people at bootcamp