Author Topic: Fitness thread / Healthy recipes  (Read 13589 times)

Squirrel Girl

Re: Fitness thread / Healthy recipes
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2016, 08:04:33 PM »
Expand Quote
I do 150 pushups, 10 chin ups, 0 squats, and 90 lunges a day.

150 pushups hurts but I was painlessly doing 200 last year before I fucked my arm.

Is it good to do nothing for a day(s)? I'm always worried about losing progress. I'm new to this whole 'taking care of yourself' business.
[close]
You gotta start lifting pushups are for fat people at bootcamp

You're a fucking idiot.

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2016, 08:06:43 PM »
Portion control is something people really tend to overlook. I downloaded MyFitnessPal to start counting calories and it made it so much easier to control myself looking at my meals in terms of numbers. Plus I was very surprised to see things I thought were better for me be loaded with calories. I'm a pretty picky eater, but using it makes me much more strategic, and to be honest I didn't really change my diet too drastically. I just don't eat a ton, or at least not without burning as much out. It's easy to let them add up.

The heat and humidity have been killing me, so I need to get back on track though. Lost 15 pounds pretty easily but have been floating since.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2016, 08:17:56 PM »
Can anyone recommend some calisthenics exercises? Preferably something I could do at home.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2016, 04:06:38 AM »
Can anyone recommend some calisthenics exercises? Preferably something I could do at home.

People really overthink the fitness thing.  Just eat decent, don't do a ton of drugs, and stay moving.

For easy free things, push-ups are great, walk or bike to errands near your home instead of driving.  Even things like housework, mowing the lawn and fixing stuff is exercise.  Then you got skating, join a softball or soccer league, maybe go for a hike once in awhile, and you're set. 

The only thing I really bought for fitness was the adjustable dumbbells and a bench.  This was mostly for physical therapy purposes, but it's cool.  I have a TV and a DVD player in my basement, so I just watch an old skate video for half an hour after work and, "Press some iron." Or whatever they call it. 

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2016, 08:40:55 AM »

Grab a px90 DVD from the thrift store.....

I'm not a big cross fit guy but some of the workouts are ok

https://crossfit208nampa.wordpress.com/the-girls/

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2016, 09:08:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Grab a px90 DVD from the thrift store.....

I'm not a big cross fit guy but some of the workouts are ok

https://crossfit208nampa.wordpress.com/the-girls/

A couple of years ago I downloaded that p90x, ran the fitness test, and spent the next 6 months making biweekly trips to the chiropractor.
you never know about pre-cum 

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2016, 03:39:05 PM »

not sure how much space you have in your house, but get a jump rope.  the best cardio workout you can do (once you reach a certain pace/skill you burn more calories then running), it also works out your back/shoulders.  There's a reason why boxers do it, builds up endurance and helps with balance/coordination.  Put a hoodie on, play the Rocky theme and you will sweat like crazy.

I'm currently reading John Joseph's "Meat is for Pussies".  Kind of hilarious and bone-headed (which is to be expected from JJ), and I'm not planning on going on a complete plant-based diet, but it has definitely got me into eating more greens/veggies, juicing, smoothies, etc.  Also has me listening to the Cro-Mags, a band I've never really cared for.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2016, 04:14:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

not sure how much space you have in your house, but get a jump rope.  the best cardio workout you can do (once you reach a certain pace/skill you burn more calories then running), it also works out your back/shoulders.  There's a reason why boxers do it, builds up endurance and helps with balance/coordination.  Put a hoodie on, play the Rocky theme and you will sweat like crazy.

I actually take a speed rope with me on my runs and just jump at the park where I have some extra room, my downstairs neighbors would be bummed if I was jumping around my place haha.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2016, 05:48:10 PM »
I made two medicine balls that are about 25 lbs each from old basketballs found in the woods by my house and sand from home depot.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-your-own-medicine-ball/

I like to put one in a backpack and do pull ups.

skateordie

• Rep: -38
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2016, 07:01:00 AM »
I made two medicine balls that are about 25 lbs each from old basketballs found in the woods by my house and sand from home depot.

how do you wear the backpack when doing pull ups - in front or back?

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2016, 08:04:28 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

how do you wear the backpack when doing pull ups - in front or back?
The back. I haven't tried it the other way.

Edit:
I wanted to add this for people who want to do some kettle bell workouts that already have the plates to use on these. I have these kettle bell grips and I use it mostly to do swings.

https://ironwoodyfitness.com/product/super-kettle-grips/

I also have fat gripz on my free weights to build grip strength/forearms.

http://www.fatgripz.com/

There are cheaper alternatives on amazon that work just as well, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Alpha-Grips-2-5-Extreme-Dumbbell/dp/B00B6I2TS6/ref=sr_1_51?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1470928183&sr=1-51-spons&keywords=fat+gripz&psc=1
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 08:11:35 AM by layzieyez »

ADOLF SHITLER

« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2016, 11:02:12 AM »
i've always been active and in shape but about a year ago i started taking vitamins/supplements and i definitely notice a difference. a huge one if u drink alot is magnesium, i guess alcohol drains it in u and since i started taking it i don't get hungover nearly like i used to

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2016, 12:32:37 PM »
Do any of you have experience with glucosamine? I got a bottle of pills for cheap and taking it has pretty much ended my nagging knee pain. I've been taking half of the recommended dose. Somehow I think they might be just salty pills. I'd like to be sure before I end up spending cash on something that might not work at all beyond the placebo effect.

ADOLF SHITLER

« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2016, 01:13:04 PM »
Do any of you have experience with glucosamine? I got a bottle of pills for cheap and taking it has pretty much ended my nagging knee pain. I've been taking half of the recommended dose. Somehow I think they might be just salty pills. I'd like to be sure before I end up spending cash on something that might not work at all beyond the placebo effect.
i had a really bad injury where i had a 50% chance of walking again and started taking it cuz i figured it couldn't hurt. I did a lot of research and basically it's a placebo, but if u think it's helping u that's better than not thinking so

fookya

• Rep: -12
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2016, 06:33:07 PM »
For those of you guys that are into stretching and post session recovery. What're some things you's recommend?

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2016, 10:36:53 PM »
For those of you guys that are into stretching and post session recovery. What're some things you's recommend?
Warm up with leg swings aka range of motion stretches. Finish with a full stretch. I am no expert on nutrition but eat something good right after skating it just feels right.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2016, 11:20:02 PM »

Foam roller.....

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2016, 05:06:37 AM »
I forgot to mention that you will need to step down the amount of weight you normally lift if you try using thick bars or fat gripz. You'll be surprised how weak your grip is at first and I don't want that surprise to cause injury when you suddenly drop your barbell/dumbbell.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2016, 09:13:20 AM »
Fit Deck. If you do the whole thing it will kick your ass. We frequently do it for PT at work.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

ciaran

• Rep: 22
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2016, 05:42:33 PM »
High density foam roller for that good hurt.  Even plastic piping with do the trick.
Yoga/stretching as standard - hold the stretch, don't bounce in it.  It should be uncomfortable, so ease off if it starts to hurt.

Push ups (diamond, one arm, spiderman) , pull ups (back of the hand faces you), chin ups (palm of the hand faces you), tricep dips, burpees, use a stomach wheel, leg lifts, leg flutters, handstands against a wall, hold a hollow body position for a minute - vary the speed of all these too.  Just remember to stretch afterwards.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2017, 01:48:22 AM »
I've been toying with a new idea in my head lately (in relation to skating as an adult with limited time): I have noticed that you get fatigued a lot sooner as you get older, which is nothing new. However, skateboarding requires an insane amount of concentration and skill, so the chance for stupid injuries increases dramatically in the "last five minutes of your session".

My solution would be the one that many are probably already using - switching to less complex tricks that still require a lot of muscle power (i.e. ollie something high, but not something you can barely clear multiple times) and/or just step of that skateboard and do squats, vertical jumps or whatever until failure (for those last five minutes).

This should lead to gains in power, stamina etc. and you should increase you fatigue threshold for the next session. I mean, it would be silly to push yourself too far and sprain your ankle when you are already hard pressed to find the time for a regular skate session.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2017, 07:19:27 AM »
All those crazy diets are really unnacessery, if you just eat reasonable well and do some exercises. Especially the low carb diets seem really just catered to Americans who are used to having refined sugars and high fructose corn sirop in all of their foods and who drink soda all day. Pasta and good bread are actually good for you if you are also active, that is if you do manual labor or do sports. Just don't be stupid and eat candy and burgers all day. I like to cook. I eat alot of pasta and rice with meat and vegetables, which I prepare myself. I used to do yoga regularly, but I have always found it to be pretty boring.
One year ago I started doing Karate twice a week. During that we also stretch a bunch and I guess it strengthens the core and makes the hips more flexible. Sometimes when my legs feel a bit stiff I will do the occasional yoga stretch video. Like this one below:

Yoga Stretch - Yoga With Adriene

I am 32 years old and I do look pretty good when I am naked. 

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2017, 09:15:26 AM »
raw ginger is really good for general health, if your tired and can feel your immune system getting worn down, peel a nice chunk and throw it in a smoothie and it really does help, plus its good for digestion and many other things, highly recommend it

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2017, 10:49:50 AM »
Getting a blender was the best thing I've done, to help me eat healthier.

Pretty much every morning I make an apple/orange/cucumber/grape/carrot smoothie, for breakfast. Might have to start adding ginger too.

It doesn't taste amazing, but it's not bad at all, and it's much easier to just drink all that stuff, rather than physically eat it.

I can also eat arugula salads, pretty much all day. I love that stuff.

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2018, 03:51:19 PM »
Does anyone use a food processor? I got one to make riced cauliflower.  Haven't made hummus yet.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2018, 05:30:21 PM »
Does anyone use a food processor? I got one to make riced cauliflower.  Haven't made hummus yet.
hell yes! mainly for pesto type stuff but also to make raw sweets. Want a vitamix but am not rich enough...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2018, 12:31:27 AM »
I have a high quality blender, but that thing is not flexible enough - get a food processor that can switch blades, since making a smoothies is not rocket science for any food processor. I make hummus using an immersion blender - I cannot make is a smooth as a store-bought, but it is close enough and cleaning it way easier.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2018, 06:26:14 AM »
I've made hummus in mine a few times. It's good.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2018, 05:48:33 PM »
yeah, the different blades thing defs helps.
got something very similar to this and it's a fucking trooper:
http://www.braunhousehold.com/nordic/all-products/food-preparation/hand-blenders/multiquick-3-hand-blender-mr320-spaghetti-0x641627771
easily 5 years old and still going strong!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2018, 06:15:03 PM »
I never knew what tahini was, looks super easy to make.  I'm going to have to try pesto out, I am getting really bored of various salt free seasonings for chicken.

https://pinchofyum.com/5-minute-magic-green-sauce this sounds really great.

I didn't realize processors could make nut butter!  I'm going to try that out asap, I have a ton of almonds right now.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate