Author Topic: Fitness thread / Healthy recipes  (Read 13581 times)

KoRnholio8

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Fitness thread / Healthy recipes
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2018, 11:48:04 PM »
hold on there buddy ... nut butter can be made in a high power blender, but it is very taxing on the blades and on the electric motor if the crushed nuts stick to the sides of the jar. I was able to make the butter twice in my 950W blender, but on my third try, the peanut goo got suck to the sides and the motor was seizing and stating to heat up/melting. It only lasted a couple of seconds, but the burning smell was there. Luckily I stopped it in time and it still work OK. But I learned my lesson and I buy peanut butter (with no additives) from the store now.

If you have the funds, then buy a Blendtec Twister Jar (https://www.blendtec.com/products/twister-jar), that will work wonders for nut butters. Anything else, I would not recommend.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2018, 12:16:40 AM »
yeah, normal food processor won't do nut butter!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2018, 03:23:04 PM »
yeah, normal food processor won't do nut butter!

FUCK.  Well, thanks for the heads up PALS
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #93 on: June 08, 2018, 11:03:31 PM »
I dunno....it might....I blew out my vitamix making hummus....I think you just have to be careful and be ready to add more oil.  Obviously check the manual on your food processor....

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2018, 04:02:04 PM »
Made the hummus, turned out pretty good.

How many people meal prep? Also, what strategies do you use to keep it from getting boring? I've been using containers that are microwavable, freezable, and dishwasher safe.  It is cheapest to buy them on amazon.  My initial efforts to meal prep yielded large portions that I would be forced to eat throughout the week. Even for foods that I really enjoy, I was getting really burnt out on eating the same thing day-in day-out. What I started to do after that, was make decent sized portions and freeze them. I would put them in my freezer and randomly organize them so it would be a complete fucking mystery as to what I would pull out. Some things don't freeze very well, for example, eggplant's consistency gets trippy when it is frozen. I also learned that it is best if you put the food in the containers and then let them cool off prior to putting the lid on top. This is because the steam will fog up the lid and obscure the view.

Never forget:

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2018, 05:21:21 PM »
I do meal prep when I'm on my shit and being healthy. One thing I make is an indian dish called saag that me and my wife both love. Couple of pounds of kale and ruby chard reduced over a bunch of potatoes fried in ghee and then tons of  spices - an entire bulb of garlic, garam masala, cumin seeds, ginger, chili peppers, and some other shit. Lasts about 3 days or so. And then we'll often get a whole chicken and strip it and supplement with that. My other staples are sardines, hard boiled eggs, avocadoes, nuts and fruit. Maybe some whole kale leaves. The last stuff is all just easy to throw into a lunch with no prep.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #96 on: June 11, 2018, 01:42:55 AM »
I do meal prep when I'm on my shit and being healthy. One thing I make is an indian dish called saag that me and my wife both love. Couple of pounds of kale and ruby chard reduced over a bunch of potatoes fried in ghee and then tons of  spices - an entire bulb of garlic, garam masala, cumin seeds, ginger, chili peppers, and some other shit. Lasts about 3 days or so. And then we'll often get a whole chicken and strip it and supplement with that. My other staples are sardines, hard boiled eggs, avocadoes, nuts and fruit. Maybe some whole kale leaves. The last stuff is all just easy to throw into a lunch with no prep.

Yes. Meal prep is the only reasonable solution in the long run, if you have a job and don't want to spend your life in the kitchen.

I started doing more shit in the oven. A couple of pounds of fish/chicken + veggies in tomato sauce and boiled rice, 5 lunches done in like 25 minutes.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #97 on: June 11, 2018, 02:30:55 PM »
I maybe mentioned this but it works for me....snacks: Apple, Banana, Granola bar repeat....just keep doing it.  The reason why it works is it somewhat satisfies you but it's not good that you eat like a whole bushel of bananas in a seating....works with oranges too.

I'd say the deal is you work on stuff that freezes ie. curry, pasta sauce, you eat it for three days then you freeze the rest.  Then you rotate in what you have already froze prior or mid week you can have your easier dishes....

Breakfast: oatmeal/over night oats/smoothie Lunch: big salad or leftovers/freezer

Try and have fillers around : rice (get a rice cooker), pasta/zoodles, quinoa, salad, popcorn (snack), protein powder

I follow a bunch of shit on insta.

I'm big on don't bring bad shit in the house....

This week I did breakfast for dinner w chick pea scramble, then made a bunch of pesto w. garlic scapes, served w zoodles.

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2018, 02:37:23 PM »
I maybe mentioned this but it works for me....snacks: Apple, Banana, Granola bar repeat....just keep doing it.  The reason why it works is it somewhat satisfies you but it's not good that you eat like a whole bushel of bananas in a seating....works with oranges too.

I'd say the deal is you work on stuff that freezes ie. curry, pasta sauce, you eat it for three days then you freeze the rest.  Then you rotate in what you have already froze prior or mid week you can have your easier dishes....

Breakfast: oatmeal/over night oats/smoothie Lunch: big salad or leftovers/freezer

Try and have fillers around : rice (get a rice cooker), pasta/zoodles, quinoa, salad, popcorn (snack), protein powder

I follow a bunch of shit on insta.

I'm big on don't bring bad shit in the house....

This week I did breakfast for dinner w chick pea scramble, then made a bunch of pesto w. garlic scapes, served w zoodles.
who do you follow on IG?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #99 on: June 11, 2018, 02:58:42 PM »
thugkitchen, veganricha, bestofvegan, minimalistbaker, ohsheglows

The last two I just check their blogs.....which are painful. 

If you got any lemme know.  I do the cooking, wife does the cleaning.....

Back to your food processor.....if you have a chance get a vitamix....it's just easier to clean.  Kinda does different things, but you can leave it on the counter. 

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #100 on: June 11, 2018, 04:31:38 PM »
thugkitchen, veganricha, bestofvegan, minimalistbaker, ohsheglows

The last two I just check their blogs.....which are painful. 

If you got any lemme know.  I do the cooking, wife does the cleaning.....

Back to your food processor.....if you have a chance get a vitamix....it's just easier to clean.  Kinda does different things, but you can leave it on the counter.

Meal prep daily I just started following.  Doesn't look like they are vegan, but sometimes just seeing photos of meal prep combos is enough to inspire alterations to get out of a cooking rut. 

What a trooper, I would be so psyched if I had a wife that let me cook and she would do the cleaning!

Never forget:

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2018, 05:21:41 PM »
minimalist baker is the shit!

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2018, 01:44:33 AM »
I've just been getting into regular exercising to up my core and upper body strength etc. and my workout routine has been as follows: cycle up a nearby hill in a city park, lock my bicycle, do a few running laps with a low gradient downhill section (protect the knees) and a steep uphill section, running in circles really. The top of the hill has an outdoor fitness station for street workout and I do pull-ups etc. Once I get fatigued enough I just cycle downhill and home (again, protecting the knees, not running downhill towards home).

I am thinking of upgrading my routine by cycling the round running section and running uphill with my bicycle on my shoulders. Protecting my knees even more (running uphill exclusively) and saving time, as I will be descending far quicker, which will enable me to do more reps for the uphill running section (with the weight of the bike, no less), when I develop the muscles and stamina to do it.

I cannot find anything on the internet of anyone doing such laps for training, but I fail to see any problem with this workout program. Does anyone have any precaution suggestions?

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #103 on: June 13, 2018, 07:47:23 AM »
I just finished this Yoga challenge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii-Qj5-jsdg

It is mostly easy core, balance, strecthing and breathing exercises and each exercise is between 15 and 40 minutes long. You are supposed to do one video a day for 30 days. I did that in the beginning, but I noticed that it started to really change the flexibility of my body and if I skated after an exercise sometimes my balance was really off and I started to get really sore in places I had never been sore before. I guess that is from being able to bend down differently and doing movements while skating that weren't possible before. That made me decide to only do these exercises on the days that I am not skating or to do them after the skate sessions. It took me about 6 weeks to finish all the exercises. I started to notice that it changed my body awareness while skating quite a bit. I feel my body more intensely and I am more aware of the way I am moving now than before the exercises. Feels kind of weird, but good. I will take a break from it now and then I will start another one of these video challenges.
I kind of hate doing yoga, but I know how good it is for me so I force myself to do it. It got much easier once I was used to it.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2018, 07:42:32 PM »
skated Thursday and Saturday, went to the gym on Friday and did martial arts training yesterday so you can imagine what my body feels like at the moment.
Thanks for the yoga challenge S., I do yoga most mornings at home but seem to have little progression in my overall flexibility. It's not that I'm stiff per se, it's just that I never get really flexy/ bendy. Sitting in a chair at work all day probably doesn't help though...

noninjasinstreetfighter

• Rep: 19
« Reply #105 on: August 07, 2018, 06:21:07 PM »
Any of you take multivitamins? I recall hearing that they don’t really do much, and I understand you can get needed nutrients from certain foods.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XHWVZBF/ref=as_li_ss_tl?th=1&linkCode=sl1&tag=nutrition-best-multivitamin-for-men-20&linkId=f6d11a8e515a3dba6e82c60602202c3e#immersive-view_1533689195919

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #106 on: August 08, 2018, 06:09:04 PM »
I just finished this Yoga challenge:
So as I mentioned I do yoga most mornings and decided to do this challenge too as my routine was kinda getting stale. Ended up doing the 30 days in just over a month as I had some ink down somewhere in the mix.
She's kinda cheesy but she does bridge the gap between total hippy yoga and corporate power yoga quite well. By that I mean she can get concepts across without sounding like she's too fruity for regular people to understand. And yes, I felt her classes did change my perspective/ awareness on how I move. Wasn't too sore but overall I liked it! Cheers for the recommendation.

Any of you take multivitamins?
I take b12 for obvious reasons and while I do have a multivitamin in the cupboard, I probably only take it one once every fortnight or so. Yes, you can get the majority of your vitamins from food but you do need to be a bit of scientist to make sure you're getting all the minerals etc. too so I just pop one everyone once in a while as "insurance"

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #107 on: August 08, 2018, 08:56:45 PM »
i recently joined a pool and started swimming laps.  its kicking my ass.  i'm trying to go every other day for an hour or two, and so far I've been pretty consistent with it.  Any other swimmers here with any pointers?  I was on a swim team when I was a kid, but it's been at least 25 years since i've swam laps like this.  I feel like the 40 year old kook that shows up at the skatepark on a sword and skull reissue and full pads. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #108 on: August 08, 2018, 09:01:59 PM »
i recently joined a pool and started swimming laps.  its kicking my ass.  i'm trying to go every other day for an hour or two, and so far I've been pretty consistent with it.  Any other swimmers here with any pointers?  I was on a swim team when I was a kid, but it's been at least 25 years since i've swam laps like this.  I feel like the 40 year old kook that shows up at the skatepark on a sword and skull reissue and full pads.

Pee. JUST PEE.

Never forget:

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #109 on: August 08, 2018, 09:08:38 PM »
just gonna float on my back and let the power of my stream propel me 50 meters down the lane
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #110 on: August 08, 2018, 09:53:21 PM »
just gonna float on my back and let the power of my stream propel me 50 meters down the lane

and it will. TRUST ME.

Never forget:

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #111 on: August 09, 2018, 10:45:04 AM »
I've been a gym rat since '09, I'm ripped but not bulky @176lbs avg. heaviest was 180lbs and that was a struggle to gain and keep it (skating fast =lots burn and I am very active). I resist the urge to grind out cardio, on cardio days when it's part of the routine no more than 30min. I'm thin framed/always been thin.

If you are serious about getting in shape, go to your Dr. for a physical and bloodwork to check your levels.

Gym = 7 days a week - varying routines, some weeks heavy/low reps, some weeks lightweight/hi reps, dropsets, pyramids - every week is different to keep me from getting bored and the muscles from used to the same old shit; some weeks it's two body parts per day (chest/back for e.g. push pull, bis/tris, shoulders/legs., etc) to get two days per week per part, other weeks it's one part per day. Weight day/cardio day/weights/cardio/etc.

Almost always do supersets and very little rest between; I can get in two full sets for two body parts vs. random gym guy doing one set of 10reps with 60sec rests (last back/chest day I did heavy decline close grip bench with deadlifts supersets).

Currently, I am on a 10min cardio before and after workout routine. Either rowing or bike.

Abs and calves twice per week.

Lots and lots and lots of water.

I don't count calories/macros.

I try and keep my gym time under 40min; get in, get it done, get out. I don't check my phone (unless I have work I need to handle); usually between sets if I need a break I'm thinking about the next set.

Mind muscle connection: think about what muscle needs to work, squeeze that fucker at the peak.

No booze, dairy or white bread. Tho this summer I picked up beer again off and, it's hot. I'll carb up some weeks tho just because bread is delicious.

B12 shots (prescription from my doc) as I can't absorb b12 well (bloodwork found this out)
Vitamin D supps
Fish oil supps
L-Glutamine
BCAAs
Brotein Powder
Coffee/green Tea or caffine pills

I eat a lot. Every two hours. More if I'm trying to gain or If I'm burning too much. Body needs fuel.

Basic BroDiet: Chicken, Brown Rice, Eggs (fuckton of eggs), Greens and veggies, grapefruit, apples, tomatoes, whatever

Plus: Quinoa, Avocado, Bacon, Butter, Ezekiel sprout bread, pasta/bean salads, cider vineager, whatever else I want to eat. If I eat Pizza, Icecream, whatever I just work out extra hard that week.

Yoga, usually every morning, basic stretching to keep loose; been pretty bad of late, need to not be, I can tell I'm not as loose.

Again, lots and lots and lots and lots of water. Your piss should be the color of straw, not clear and not deep yellow.

I've an inversion table it's the lowerback gift from the gods.

Weekends it's everything, and I work my ass off: Get my ass up early and go for a hike, go home and fuel up then I'll bike to the beach to workout using the pull-up bars (also leg lifts), and traveling rings depending on workout day (can't do rings then hit the gym for shoulders, etc.) and bring jump rope for HIT between sets. Layout and get some VitaD, mingle. Go Home and fuel up and chill/game/nap for an hour or two. Go to the gym. Go home, rest up then go skate at the park (unless it's leg day). I try and get in as much night park skating as I can after work and gym (park is only a couple blocks away).

Rest.

I burn at both ends probably too much (especially if I want to gain) but without proper rest, you won't get your brogainz and you WILL be tired.

It's hard to balance it all with a career, kids, skating, etc., and I'm sure if I didn't workout I could skate more!

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #112 on: August 22, 2018, 02:26:05 AM »
I am old and I spend most of my days at work standing and I'm finding more and more recently that my legs at the end of the day when I want to go for a short skate are so stiff and useless that it takes me an hour to warm up and then I need to go home to go to bed so I can get up early the next day. I also have knee problems from an injury, but that knee is probably at 95-99% depending on the day, so I think that's not my biggest problem. I also have a very old back injury which has limited my flexibility for most of my life.

Is there some day to day things I need to do to prevent this stiffness?

I've tried yoga in the past and it really isn't for me, but oddly enough, when I used to go to the gym I got some free pilates classes from my trainer and I liked it a lot. Will that do the same sort of flexibility stuff as yoga? Anyone do pilates here? Any youtube channel or something that I should look at for good routines?

I stretch before I skate and when it's not so hot I'll do 8-10 mins of jumprope to warm up, but if there's something I can do not immediately before skating that would be great as well.

I love cycling, but only have time to get out on the weekends really. I've thought about cycling each morning 10k or something would help, so I may start doing that.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2018, 07:17:45 AM »
  H2o ,Colored sea salt, cucumbers in hummous, smoked fish with yougurt, chicken with yogurt, chicken with hummous, nuts, raw spinach,   - you don't have to cook any of this shit.  They sell cooked chicken at the grocery store.    (smaller portions, statistically will prolong your life also less fruit-more vegetables is good)
  -Replace the sugars in your diet with party drugs (just a sprinkle)- 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 07:55:56 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2018, 07:23:57 AM »
beatifk, sorry I don't have concrete advice, but rest assured there are some people who do here, not just some idiot trolls like the guy above

are you doing static stretching or dynamic before the session? nick dompiere made a nice video for dynamic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDp3l1C93w0

I usually ride up to a spot on my skateboard or bike, so I am already a bit warmed up, but I do dynamic stretching if I feel stiff

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2018, 09:15:00 AM »
I mostly do like...

Grab my ankle and pull my foot toward my ass, bend over and touch my toes, crouch down like a baseball catcher, etc...

So these ones will be a good addition probably.

And I always skate to the "spot" (mostly a parking lot with some curbs, haha) since I don't have a car.

Thanks!

noninjasinstreetfighter

• Rep: 19
« Reply #116 on: August 30, 2018, 12:44:54 PM »
Here’s a weird one. Putting my kid in her car seat, carrying her when she was younger, slouching, and ultimately getting older, I’ve developed slight lower back pain and a weaker core. Do you engage your core all day to prevent slouch and just maintain it regularly? I do engage during certain moves at work, but what about all day? Read both sides on yes and no. Apparently it could fuck with your breathing. No idea.

I do workout and do core exercises, I’m just curious on to how to go about it. I don’t recall doing so in my early 20s, but my core also wasn’t weak. Thanks
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 12:49:51 PM by noninjasinstreetfighter »

Pigeon

« Reply #117 on: August 30, 2018, 01:53:04 PM »

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2018, 01:54:33 PM »

whole foods seems pretty evil but props to neen for figuring out life beyond skating and promoting a healthy lifestyle. glad he's getting paid to not be a pile.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2018, 05:47:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
whole foods seems pretty evil but props to neen for figuring out life beyond skating and promoting a healthy lifestyle. glad he's getting paid to not be a pile.
this! current Neen is my fav Neen