Author Topic: Does skating actually get "better/more fun" as you get older?  (Read 10918 times)

Zimmer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -9
At 15 y/o: Skating was the cool thing to do, I didn't put in any effort and was basically a poser. I lived and breathed skating, but only because that's what all my friends were into.

At 22 y/o: I thought skating was in the past, I gave it up after partying and getting high became more important.

Now at 26: No one I know skates anymore, but I try to get out to cruise and mess around every day. I enjoy it more than I ever have before, I don't care about getting "good", I don't care about a "crew" or the "hang". I'll probably never stop again, since there's no childhood bullshit attached to it anymore. Its just a fun way to spend time.

Does anyone else think skating gets better as you grow? There's also stuff like: Buying shoes, decks, etc.. isn't a big deal since you have money, and wandering around a city all day is more comfortable as an adult.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: Does skating actually get "better/more fun" as you get older?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 05:58:54 PM »
Yah but you have to actually skate and not go backwards and start to suck.  Once that happens I hate to say it but your not as fun to skate with. People who suck cause there old will get mad if you want to skate flatground. It would have been smarter for me to quit skateboarding and just surf tho probably.  My knees are fucked.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 06:05:59 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Zimmer

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 06:05:31 PM »
Yah but you have to actually skate and not go backwards and start to suck.  Once that happens I hate to say it but your not as fun to skate with. People who suck cause there old will get mad if you want to skate flatground. It would have been smarter for me or someone to quit skateboarding and just surf tho probably.  My knees are fucked.

I see your point.. That's why I still put some time in trying flips, going for things here and there, not just stagnating.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 06:07:52 PM »
  Yah I was speaking generally.  I'm imagining its alot of fun Zimmer, I like the story so far.

CINCINNATI

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 06:09:13 PM »
im 19 now and trying new tricks and shit more often than i ever have. not sure what got into me as of recent, but i guess i just wanted to improve. first 9-10 years of skating i never really learned too much, but hey i still had fun. now though i guess i am just really challenging myself to learn something new each week, at least over the summer. but to answer your question, for me yes it has become a hell of a lot more fun.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 06:10:23 PM »
Definitely... I used to put so much pressure on myself to land stuff at 14/15. Now it's all fun and games. I could carcass toss some big sets tonight if I wanted to, just not really much fun  ???

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 06:12:17 PM »
I was never good, but regressing feels terrible. Guess I should just be stoked to land anything/be physically able to skate, but I'm way less motivated to go out

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 06:41:13 PM »
This thread is reminding me of that magic that skating is at random times in a big space or a small little curb or flatground. -getting a personal success.  Here's to getting a groove on.   But no basically to answer the og question, I do think it stays fun but starts to hurt in unsettleling ways.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 06:44:42 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »

anjholt

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 06:42:19 PM »
I feel as though it is just as fun even though I am much more reserved in regards to trying shit that could likely end up in injury and not being able to do my job. When you are young those thoughts aren't applicable. I definitely appreciate more diverse skating than I did 15 years ago but I also think that's general consensus these days anyway.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 06:45:58 PM »
I'm in my late 20s, so I'm still young but I'm slowly getting up there in age. For a good couple of years I was only skating once every couple of weeks at most, and lost so many tricks. Everytime I'd get on a board I'd feel uncomfortable and have jello legs and it'd take me forever to warm up. It was really starting to get more frustrating than fun for me because of this.  Recently though I've been trying to skate every day or every 1 to 3 days. These past few weeks or so I've been skating a lot and I got a huge chunk of my tricks back and am just feeling more comfortable on my board again in general. I haven't had this much fun skating in a while. It just feels so good.
I'd say skating does get more fun as you get older, because when you're older you just stop giving as much of a shit about all the things in skating that shouldn't even matter in the first place; like having to be on top of the latest trends or being better than your friends and treating it like it's a competition, etc.
Only thing that can make it frustrating or unfun is losing tricks and degressing with time, so my advice is just to do it as much as you can when you can. Youd be surprised how much you get back when you start skating on a frequent basis again. It's all still there, you just need time to get comfortable to it again.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 06:57:26 PM »
I'm 42 and still skate 5-6 days a week.
I learned to manage my time and plan my days so I can squeeze in an hour before work most every day.
I focus on fun stuff and personal progression on what I can do, and don;t stress about peer pressure of skating bigger stuff  out of my range.
Street and parks, feeling healthy, eating right and mostly boring, but having way more fun now skating than I did in my 20's.

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 07:03:34 PM »
Yeah I get you fam
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 07:28:07 PM »
I am sure as we get older we just find new ways to entertain ourselves...I spent the last 2 years avoiding ollies and am just bombing hills , carvings pools/transitions, and cruising around the streets. 

swag nollies

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 07:30:52 PM »
Ima say it gets less fun, but more satisfying...?

Zimmer

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 07:32:46 PM »
Ima say it gets less fun, but more satisfying...?

I suppose that would make sense, when I was younger you weren't skating unless you were throwing tre flips and hucking stairs. Nowdays I get excited about bombing hills, and sliding curbs/parking blocks.

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2016, 07:38:30 PM »
It will always be fun, and only be about fun for me, but I definitely pussed out on skateboarding and don't try gnarly stuff like I used to. I also weigh a lot more than I used to, so when I fall...I fall hard and it hurts twice as much. I've had quite a few fractures, dislocated my knee cap, permanent swellbow, and if I were to get seriously injured again and be out of work I'd become broke. Then I'd want to skate and forget about it all but I wouldn't be able to because I'd be partially handicapped. Being an adult sucks. As a kid you didn't have to worry about shit.

The plus side is being able to skate whenever and wherever you want, be more in tune with your board, yourself and what you're all about. Not having the trendy mindset of a kid, disconnecting and just skating pure and simple.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -222
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2016, 08:03:33 PM »
Nothing gets better as you get older. Nothing.

Get fired up

• Rep: -54
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2016, 08:05:43 PM »
I'm having just as much fun as I ever have and I'm  38, with two kids, a mortgage and a pretty serious job.
I Still skate 3-4 times  a week, although My skating has definitely changed over the years,
I don't jump down shit any more,  but my tranny skills are better than ever.
Im still learning new tricks all the time and I don't really see myself slowing down.  

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2016, 08:16:03 PM »
20 years old do  :D

Zimmer

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2016, 08:20:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
20 years old do  :D

All right all right all right...

danjtony

• Rep: -4
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2016, 08:49:34 PM »
I'm 25 and I feel like my adult brain is better at learning tricks than when I was a teenager. Like I can break them down step by step in my head better. I've prolly just been regular the whole time.

Really though, I think it's easier to devote time to things you wanna learn as you get older. I got a steady job, live with my girldfriend--still get out to skate 5-6 times a week and often it's the only exciting thing I do all day.

Dong Juan

• Rep: -7
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2016, 09:01:58 PM »
Some of you young cats sound so old haha. I feel like I was still in my prime at 26. I didn't slow down until I started having kids. Out came the cruiser and with it went most of my tech shit. That's the worst thing about getting old (if you are decent) Is losing tricks.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 09:03:30 PM by Dong Juan »

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2016, 09:02:40 PM »
the bag of tricks shrinks but the appreciation grows.

straight

Dong Juan

• Rep: -7
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2016, 09:05:21 PM »

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2016, 09:36:18 PM »
You can learn so many tricks per year if your an og it's great, when I was young skating was all about doing it perfect and it took out half the skating. Now I land my classic tricks but can push the envelope so much farther with the methodology appreciation. I'll outskate anyone if I feel like it, in a way skateboarding is much like golf or chess
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

Albatross

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2016, 09:39:33 PM »
when you are young, everything rules

when you get older you gotta deal with the shittiness of life, but skating still rules. so like, i dont know if I have more fun skating now than when I was young, but I still have a lot of fun and it beats work... so skating is more fun in relation to everything else, when you are older

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2016, 10:00:34 PM »
I don't know if it gets better, necessarily. I definitely started to appreciate it more once my life started to chill out and I got more settled into my adult life. I've been in a sling for a month due to a bum shoulder but I cannot wait to get a new board and get back out (the new deck is a motivation/stoke thing). I've also noticed that as you age a bit you start getting into other things that give you the same feelings as skateboarding, I got into cycling, and really into painting again. They give you more ways to feel that freedom and purpose that skating gives you, and with those things just like skateboarding you have to move with intention. Anyway, I love skating <3

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2016, 10:29:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Jake From State Farm

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2016, 10:50:01 PM »
It absolutely does. I'm 24 and have been skating for 12 years. I learned switch frontside heelflips last month and that's pretty damn exciting.