Author Topic: Does skating actually get "better/more fun" as you get older?  (Read 10956 times)

G raham

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -49
Re: Does skating actually get "better/more fun" as you get older?
« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2016, 06:22:05 AM »
Not sure if it's because I'm older or just been subjected to an interest in skating for a while but the clear difference that's happened to me is being more interested in seeing it as an art form ie what are cool/uncool tricks, if I showed my 12 year old self kevin rodrigues footage I prob wouldn't really understand it and now I worship the guy
Well guys, there's nothing better than getting out there and skateboarding. - Shane O'Neill.

G raham

• Rep: -49
« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2016, 06:28:19 AM »
So to answer your question more interest = more fun
Well guys, there's nothing better than getting out there and skateboarding. - Shane O'Neill.

Mike

• Rep: 3
« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2016, 07:33:24 AM »
38.  Losing my ability gradually through not being able to skate so much as I have young kids under 3 to look after and a job to do.  But I still love it as much as ever when I actually get out there - even just skating to the shops and such.  Very rare that I get to a park now!

I do miss the times I was young and skating with all of my mates though, they were fucking great  ;D

drcroc

« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2016, 08:22:40 AM »
I'm 28 and started up skating again, its like riding a bike. My new 'old man' rules: flat-ground only, flip tricks sparingly. I landed this the other day...

It's still fun to skate and I had a memorable skate times like 4-5 years ago with some friends (to add to the classic times when I was like 13-14).  When I was a kid I only had the 411vm VHS tape "the first step" video to go on for learning skate tricks so... kinda different now with the unlimited videos online.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 04:42:28 PM by drcroc »

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2016, 02:36:22 PM »
  Lake is an 80s pro(?)  I remember "lake" skateboards I think.  Nightmare model was his?  I dunno.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2016, 03:52:25 PM »
  Lake is an 80s pro(?)  I remember "lake" skateboards I think.  Nightmare model was his?  I dunno.

Sounds about right, I keep picturing him padded up in bright colors.

Bag_Of_Farts

• Rep: -19
« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2016, 04:18:46 PM »
Im 40 years old.  I've been skateboarding since 1987.  I've broken both ankles.  My right ankle 3 times, my left ankle twice.  I've rolled them both too many times to even remember.  I've broken my right fibula (leg) once.  I've broken two ribs, a finger, and a toe.  I've had 3 knee surgeries.  My left knee once, my right knee twice.  Both were arthroscopic and lateral releases on both knee caps.  My knees hurt constantly.  Still.  It's hard to sit long, stand long, run, smash doggy style, skip, unicycle, windmill, moonwalk, and jump rope.  Every day is a reminder of the fucking physical abuse I've put my body thru in the nearly 30 years I've skated.  And I still skate, regardless of the pain. 

I wouldn't change ANYTHING.

Yes, for me, it keeps getting better.
Never in my wildest dreams did I think that Menikmati could be ruined for me, but somehow that asshole (Koston) did it.
Even all the beautiful dorking around in Chomp on This, all I can think is "this adult man tells children to die on Instagram".
Seriously, fuck Koston forever. -Mattchew

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2016, 06:51:06 PM »
I'm 35 now and I've been at it for 20 years.

One thing that has changed for me is that I don't feel the pressure to get better anymore. I used to beat myself up endlessly over not being able to do a trick. Nowadays I just do what I can do and enjoy it. So in that sense yes, it is more fun than it used to be because the pressure is gone. 

adamconway123

• Rep: -4
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2016, 06:32:37 AM »
The battle between your conscious and subconscious minds becomes increasingly more difficult.  Instincts start to kick in and your legs just won't let yourself huck your body down things as easy.

Homey weinstien

• Rep: 1
« Reply #99 on: July 21, 2016, 06:38:14 AM »
Fun as in I Ollie up on a ledge now and my 'roid pops out and rides shotgun on my ass until I pop it back in.  I want preparation H to sponsor

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #100 on: July 21, 2016, 11:37:23 AM »
Slamming hurts more.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2016, 11:45:35 AM »
I've shifted to low impact ledges, flat rails, and manuals as I've aged. I used to skate gaps and rails mostly because that's the era I'm from, but I've found that my style is a lot better now and I am learning new things at a faster pace than I used to. I think that's a mindset thing though. As far as fun, I stopped having fun when I was like 28.