Author Topic: Lithe - High performance skate decks  (Read 5755 times)

BMCsteve

Lithe - High performance skate decks
« on: July 15, 2016, 07:16:44 AM »
This looks pretty intriguing - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/lithe-high-performance-skateboards--2#/

Supposed to last 6x longer than a normal deck.  Wont get soggy, wont razortail, wont chip, etc

They look like they wont be too stiff and actually some some flex to them which I prefer in a board. 

BMCsteve

Re: Lithe - High performance skate decks
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 08:05:59 AM »
I'm actually more interested in the shapes than I am the technology.  That twin tail vert shape looks perfect

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 310
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 09:09:33 AM »
i know dwindle uses carbon fiber on some of there boards, who else uses it?

i wonder how much one would cost?
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

BMCsteve

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 09:32:30 AM »
i know dwindle uses carbon fiber on some of there boards, who else uses it?

i wonder how much one would cost?

P2 boards use kevlar or a carbon/kevlar mix.  I think these are going to run $150 per deck which might be a death nail for them.  however, if it lasts 6 times as long as a regular board, the price works out to be a deal

If a regular 7 ply board is $50, I can definitely see why these would be 3x that price
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 09:38:59 AM by BMCsteve »

Hash Slinging Slasher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 09:42:53 AM »
didn't even film with a vx1000... definitely NOT supporting this. how am i supposed to throw satisfying tantrums if i can't focus my deck??

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 194
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 09:51:49 AM »
They had me at tech-street

BMCsteve

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 10:12:10 AM »
didn't even film with a vx1000... definitely NOT supporting this. how am i supposed to throw satisfying tantrums if i can't focus my deck??

I have that problem with South Central boards.  Literally sprained my ankle trying to focus a Northern Co board out of anger.  Ended up bashing it on a rock and couldnt even chip the damn thing

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 60
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 10:20:29 AM »
Looks good. I can't help to think that it'd feel like steeping on a flexy, plastic penny board.

Being that skater's are rigid, stubborn motherfuckers when it comes to product, it'll probably be hated on. Especially being that its not coming from inside the industry or any of the big wood shops itself.

Anyone remember a couple of years ago, some article came out (might of been jenkem, quartersnacks, or boil the ocean. cant remember) talking about some swedish board designer who tried to intoduce tech boards into the industry (early milenia), but failed. Chapman skates was on board for it & it featured the deck having plastic ends that you could replace. Seemed like a solid idea too. I distincly remember there being a Billy Rohan quote saying, "Feels like I'm skating on marble floor. It's like popping on marble, yo!"

shit_for_brains

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 10:55:30 AM »
Whoa have we swung back to "check out our carbon fiber boards" already? That ten year cycle is getting shorter and shorter it feels like.

tweak

• Rep: -2
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 12:36:58 PM »
Plastic rail should go whole way around, forget about the expensive carbon just use regular glass or maybe some new synthetic weave (lots becoming available now).

ZEBRA

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 01:29:52 PM »
It always surprises me that people keep trying to invent new technology like this for skateboarding. Cause it'll just never catch on. So many great ideas, but skateboarding for the most part, at least when it comes to hardgoods, are set in their ways.

I would be interested in how much a deck like this costs to buy. Almost had those Uber boards or whatever and they were like $100??

I personally am really weird about stuff lasting forever. When I was younger, I needed stuff to last forever. Now that I'm an adult and can afford whatever, pretty much, I like to switch it up.

I could see this catching on, but as far as a legitimate team and skateboarding accepting it?? Fat chance. Would be cool to check out though.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 05:10:36 PM »
The thing is that those companies just focus on the tecnology and not on the image. I back the progress in the product, nothing leaves me as mad as chipped deck, and I dont have money to change decks as much as I would like but just look at that promo clip. The dubstep, the logo... Every "image wise" thing looks kinda bad, too futuristic, too "jockish". I dont think skaters identify themselves with this. 

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 05:43:53 PM »
The thing is that those companies just focus on the tecnology and not on the image. I back the progress in the product, nothing leaves me as mad as chipped deck, and I dont have money to change decks as much as I would like but just look at that promo clip. The dubstep, the logo... Every "image wise" thing looks kinda bad, too futuristic, too "jockish". I dont think skaters identify themselves with this. 

Yeah, I feel like their target market is Braille and ReVenge kids.

Mongoloid

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2016, 06:09:20 PM »

On point assessment, and exactly why shit like this stays on a linear trajectory.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 08:30:36 PM »
I'm a fan of innovative technology in skateboarding. Most skaters are a bit too dismissive of new tech in skating, much of which is actually quite practical. That being said, for anything new that is actually good, there are 100 things that are horribly thought out, executed and marketed. I like the idea, but the price tag, shitty graphics and marketing makes it seem very unlikely to take off. Though if reviews of the board come out as positive, and it does last me 6 months, I don't see why not.

christ0v

• Rep: 15
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2016, 02:26:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

youtube just recommended

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 457
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2016, 08:51:53 AM »
That youtube fool just convinced me to never buy one of their boards.

christ0v

• Rep: 15
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2016, 09:34:07 AM »
maybe the worst marketing they did

JAesop

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2016, 01:50:54 PM »
These are just Lib Tech boards using carbon fiber instead of fiberglass overlays.
By the way Sky rips.

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -8
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2016, 12:58:43 PM »
You don't need new technology to make decks last longer.

Boards made with good Canadian maple and laminated with old school 2-part glue and set to cure for a long ass time (4-12 hours instead of the 1 decks these days get) very rarely snap and chip very slowly.

That said, I'm all for people trying to reinvent the wheel if it means we get better wheels...but you can probably get similar performance out of a $60-70 handmade deck than one of these $150 high tech ones.

Spaced Cadet

• Rep: 113
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2016, 01:30:03 PM »
One of the good things about decks to me is that they are relatively cheap (been the same price for forever) and allow people to experiment with different shapes and sizes. Can't help but think it would suck to pay three times as much for a deck and find out you hate the size/shape and end up stuck with that board for 6 months or something. It still sucks at just 50.

I'm all for seeing some real innovation though. The nose and tail things are what interest me the most. If someone could just implement those then maybe the price would still be reasonable and still get the benefit of lasting a little longer. I remember Chapman developing plastic nose and tail things for boards but they were too slippery. The concept has been tried before so if whatever these guys are trying really works then it could open up the idea for other guys to try at it again.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1060
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2016, 01:18:37 PM »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2016, 01:44:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

youtube just recommended

AND the suspension trucks? teehee