Author Topic: Your Perfect Board  (Read 2949 times)

sluggers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -405
Your Perfect Board
« on: July 17, 2016, 07:30:46 AM »
Everyone has that girl that got away or that board you felt was the best and then you had to finally trade it in when it was destroyed.

For me it was a late 90's Ricky Oyola Zoo York. Something about the strength, pop, durability, concave, shape. Some of the fondest times in skating was riding that deck.

CINCINNATI

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
Re: Your Perfect Board
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 07:47:47 AM »
if i can find a 9.5 popsicle with a 15 inch wheelbase id be set. deep concave and a fat square nose would be perfect too. for now though the best deck I've had is the current 9" american nomad (pennswood) with a 15 inch wheelbase

Howie

• Rep: 9
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 07:52:05 AM »
I'm really happy with the 8.25x32 Deluxe shape these days. On a Krooked right now, not sure about the wheelbase but I love it.

JAesop

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 04:49:05 PM »
I had four that I really wish I could have skated forever. Learned more stuff on them, felt right, could do no wrong.
Oldest to newest roughly- Schmitt Stix Andy Howell 1st board,H street Hensley king size, Silverstar Matt Reason and Traffic logo 8.25 when they were Pennswood. There was a huge period in the 90's where I learned a ton of stuff and skated more than I ever would again but the boards were sooo shitty. Some of the slicks were 6 plies and would flex so hard I could almost get the middle of the deck to touch the ground just by pushing down with my foot. I can be as nostalgic as anybody that lived through that period but man the equipment really did suck.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 05:48:51 PM »
I've settled on the DLX 8.38x32.56 shape, but these were as close to good you could get for the time:

Vision Shredder (1985): This was before Paul Schmitt took over their woodshop, but the board was still solid and the glue didn't delam like so many mid-80s decks. Mark Gonzales didn't have a board yet, but I wanted to support Vision since he was unlike any other at the time.

SMA Natas Kaupas (1987): This was the beginning of the SMA/NHS era. It was still a piece of shit but it was the only board at the time to have a good tail for ollies; there was also a mid-rocker which was a quick fix for not having an upturned nose (which only Schmitt Stix had at the time).

Dogtown Scott Oster (1989): Best board ever (for the time). While still too fat and square, even for the '80s, it was still more sensible than almost anything out there. It was also one of the first boards to have a variable wheelbase so you could have a longer nose.

Aesthetics Sal Barbier (1999): This was the widest board I could find at the time at 7 7/8". Taylor-Dykema was considered one of the best woodshops. But it was light years behind that late-90s Zoo York mentioned by the OP which was stiffer and lighter than anything PS Schmitt or Taylor-Dyekema could make, and made them scramble for years to catch up.

pinch a loaf

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 05:56:55 PM »
After Mind Field came out 2012? This thing skated like a dream. The most poppy and consistent deck I've ever skated. I think I kept riding workshops for a while after this one.

Jake From State Farm

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 11:28:34 PM »
I'm really happy with the 8.4 magenta boards. I've bought them off and on for a while and they're always good.

sluggers

• Rep: -405
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 12:35:48 AM »
Definitely the SMA Natas as well. I never had the Scott Oster, but did have a Dogtown Eric Dressen from that time and it was solid.

Cosign on the Matt Hensley kingsize too.

svilleantigo

• Rep: 61
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 03:37:33 AM »
#1 favorite of all time in history gold medal award winning:

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 05:09:54 AM »
This baby in an 8.25, the concave on the kicks were perfect and the step concave was the perfect deepness and the nose and tail were pointy but still round

yes

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 02:17:35 PM »
any generator/bareback 8.25

although, I did have an AWS Dill 8.25 (the 20yr deck) that I still mourn the loss of
hardly art, hardly starving

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 04:28:05 AM »
I wonder if it's the board or just because you were skating a lot/well at the time.  My best memories of boards were early Stereo.  They were the coolest (at least to me) at the time.  I had 7-8 in a row.  I was really good, but was also skating a lot with really good skaters.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2016, 04:48:46 AM »
  1) Real American Hero(TG)slick 8.75 with Gullwing street shadows 2) pink 8.5 Sean Young  Anti Hero with the 1st set of indy's I'd bought.  I rode ventures before that.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 05:15:34 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 05:54:28 AM »
this board but i bought it circa 1995 and it was a toy machine (this here is all i could find on the internet and is a "my first pro graphic" series)

at the time i was skating ultra thin boards and although this was a bit on the wide spectrum, i found it to be absolutely amazing. i haven't got a clue what the exact dimensions were but damn this thing was a pleasure to skate
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2016, 07:59:25 AM »

Hannity

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2016, 09:23:28 AM »
i had several Baker 7.88 shapes when i first started skating in 2000 and they treated me very well. since then, i discovered the joy of bigger boards and stiffer wood and I now prefer south central pressed 8.5s or 8.6/8.62 shapes.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2016, 11:15:20 AM »
After years of skating and trying a lot of different boards, the closest I can come to a "perfect" feeling setup are as follows:

Baker B-16 shape (8.475 width)
Indy 149s with Indy aftermarket barrel bottom bushings, anything on the harder side, tightened to where the back truck is a couple turns tighter than the front.
Wheels and bearings are whatever. For wheels anything that's hard and slides well (I mainly just stick with STFs or F4s but am open to trying other stuff too) and for bearings pretty much anything as long as the cages are nylon and the shields are removable.
I'm not picky about shoes either. I can adapt to whatever. They gotta have at least some impact support though.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2016, 12:17:19 AM »
A board with a nose that's somewhere between a shovel and popsicle nose, 14.25 WB, 32 in and 8.25.
Medium to steep concave, with a high nose and somewhat high tail.

I had an 8.0 shop deck that after so many hits to the ground the nose got warped into a shovel-sh shape but flipped amazing. That but in an 8.25.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2016, 07:59:53 AM »
i settled on mostly alien workshop boards and habitat boards maybe 2 or three years ago. you can hate the new workshop all you want but i love the 8.125 shape, seems like i am on the skinnier boards on this forum by now  ;)

specifically i had this one workshop board with the "visitor" graphic in 8.125 but i cannot for the life of me remember the length, might have been 31.8 long or something but the nose and tail were/ felt longer than any other workshop or habitat boards of the same length. concave felt a little steeper too. stayed with the schmitt stix boards cause i never had a defect yet and never even a problem with the board loosing it's pop too quick....somehow i get razor tail on generator boards mad quick.

for wheels i got me F4s when they first came out and never looked back and thunder 147 highs doesn't matter if team or lights for the most part.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2016, 10:00:20 AM »
if i can find a 9.5 popsicle with a 15 inch wheelbase id be set. deep concave and a fat square nose would be perfect too. for now though the best deck I've had is the current 9" american nomad (pennswood) with a 15 inch wheelbase

Reach out to Fickle, I am sure they'd be happy to whip one up for you.

i settled on mostly alien workshop boards and habitat boards maybe 2 or three years ago. you can hate the new workshop all you want but i love the 8.125 shape, seems like i am on the skinnier boards on this forum by now  ;)

specifically i had this one workshop board with the "visitor" graphic in 8.125 but i cannot for the life of me remember the length, might have been 31.8 long or something but the nose and tail were/ felt longer than any other workshop or habitat boards of the same length. concave felt a little steeper too. stayed with the schmitt stix boards cause i never had a defect yet and never even a problem with the board loosing it's pop too quick....somehow i get razor tail on generator boards mad quick.

If I could find the AWS/Quasi 8.25 squareish shape from anyone other than PStix I'd be set. It's the same shape as the the 8.125 Visitor AWS (still have mine). I believe the wheelbase 14.3 "ish" and the board itself is just a hair over 32".

Spit F4 Radials in a slimmer slim shape ;)

Ti Hollow Aces ;) Or some sort of frankenstein something that give me the weight and height of Ti thunders and the turn of ACEs.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 10:47:46 AM by Xen »

Still Tippin

• Rep: -33
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2016, 10:20:42 AM »

whatever the dimensions on this board were, best shape i've ever had. if anyone knows, lmk.

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2016, 01:48:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Reach out to Fickle, I am sure they'd be happy to whip one up for you.

Expand Quote

[close]

If I could find the AWS/Quasi 8.25 squareish shape from anyone other than PStix I'd be set. It's the same shape as the the 8.125 Visitor AWS (still have mine). I believe the wheelbase 14.3 "ish" and the board itself is just a hair over 32".

Spit F4 Radials in a slimmer slim shape ;)

Ti Hollow Aces ;) Or some sort of frankenstein something that give me the weight and height of Ti thunders and the turn of ACEs.

i skate the third board of the squarish nose and tail shaped alien/ habitat boards where it says 32.125 in length and 14.25 wheelbase and i swear the tail and nose feel shorter than on THE ONE BOARD ;) really weird, maybe that is what i just tell myself to have something that i can idealize of some sort....i wish generator would make the shape of the boards that the lowest point of the board is in the middle and not under the trucks if you lay it on the floor....like real low pro have that thing too...other than that schmitt is the only ones i see doing this- is it called a rocker or did i misunderstand that....read something along those lines on here...

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2016, 02:20:18 PM »
I got this before my first trip to nyc in 2012 and it was so perfect. PS stix wood, 8.25, square nose and tail and deep concave. I've been trying to find a board like it since with no luck, I'd pay 100$+ for each board in this shape.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2016, 03:36:15 PM »
I got this before my first trip to nyc in 2012 and it was so perfect. PS stix wood, 8.25, square nose and tail and deep concave. I've been trying to find a board like it since with no luck, I'd pay 100$+ for each board in this shape.

Try the quasi 8.25s (watch out, they have two one round one squarish) sadly not deep concave.

Spiritual successor if I've ever seen one ;)

http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Quasi_Proto_One_Assorted_Deck/descpage-QUP1DK.html

« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 04:04:17 PM by Xen »

glutton.

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2016, 04:40:14 PM »
I don't remember what brand it was. The graphic sucked and I never heard of the company, so I covered it in stickers. I do remember that it was a nearly flat, mellow, 8.2, with a 14.00" wheelbase, symmetrical nose/tail.

Toydivision

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2016, 05:31:20 PM »

This sounds like the 8.5 Mother deck I skated last year, was a JJ model. Great deck, I felt my flick and pop was better than usual.

Personally I just stick to Magenta, the 8.4 shapes are great (I've tried 8.5 but something about it doesn't work as well for me).

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2016, 12:52:40 AM »
A few that stand/ stood out to me:

Adrenalin - Jaya Bonderov deck: this one should be self explanatory! They had a heavy team at the time and their boards/ graphics were top notch. I was learning lots of new things at the time and was pretty consistent with what I could already do so I had a lot of fun on this one.

Time - team board: Time was an awesome Aussie 90s company with a rad team and cool graphics/ image. They had their boards pressed through Omni which was basically the best wood to ever come out of australia. I had all these animal liberation stickers plastered all over it (which had nothing to do with Time) but I still loved it!

Zoo York - tag board: total EE3 worship here! I lived on the coast in Australia at the time but that sure as hell didn't stop me from filming lines at night and pushing through traffic. Got some of my best tricks on that board. Super stiff and super strong. Switch wallie-ing everything thinking I'm Ricky Oyola n' shit ;D

American Dream Unit - hand me down: you know how when you were young and used to get cheap/ used boards from older guys who were getting hooked up? Yeah, this was one of those. Not even sure of the graphic but that shit had THE thickest green paint screen-printed on it! Person who owned it before me did a dope griptape job on it and it lasted me as long as a new board would have even though I bought it for a 5th of the price.

Zero - Ellington: can't really remember the graphic but I was punk with a shaved head and brown dickies and it was my first time living in Japan (circa 2000) and this shit was all red, black and white with this punk-arse vibe and a big shovel nose.
Went skating one night in Yokohama and snapped/ cracked the tail within the first 30 min of me being there but then for some reason had the best skate I think I've ever had in my life. Maybe it was because I just didn't care and thought the board was going to completely snap at any given moment, but I could do no wrong. I landed all my regular tricks and even busted out some personal NBD ledge tricks on this soggy-arse board that wouldn't die. I was with a few friends and we hit up like 4 or 5 spots after that and I was just reeling tricks off; the cracked tail gave me superpowers ... or that's what I like to believe.
Anyone remember that real clip of drake jones switch tre at EMB on a broken board? That's how I felt in my mind LOL Anyway, that was 16 years ago and I can still remember that board/ that night. Probably wouldn't be caught dead riding zero today but fuck I loved that deck!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 12:56:51 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2016, 04:10:44 AM »
Zoo York - tag board: total EE3 worship here! I lived on the coast in Australia at the time but that sure as hell didn't stop me from filming lines at night and pushing through traffic. Got some of my best tricks on that board. Super stiff and super strong. Switch wallie-ing everything thinking I'm Ricky Oyola n' shit ;D

That's cool, if you post the footage I'd check it out.

Psyched that Chavo mentioned Aesthetics. All I skated was Aesthetics for a while, Kevin Taylor's Arcade board was so fun to ride. The wood was strong and light, the graphic always psyched me out, and that was a period where I was learning a lot of tricks so it was a good time while it lasted.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2016, 09:57:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Try the quasi 8.25s (watch out, they have two one round one squarish) sadly not deep concave.

Spiritual successor if I've ever seen one ;)

http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Quasi_Proto_One_Assorted_Deck/descpage-QUP1DK.html

Good looking out! I'm aware that Quasi, FA/Hockey and WKND all use that 8.25 nose and tail shape and I love it. The thing about that Habitat though was that it was quite a bit steeper and 31.25 in length which made a huge difference. I appreciate the tip though man

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2016, 01:57:01 PM »
Habitat using that shape though? My last habitat (PSstix) was really nice and cripsy.