Author Topic: [Ripped Laces] 30 Reasons Why Skateboarding is not a Sport  (Read 9409 times)

foureyedjim

Re: [Ripped Laces] 30 Reasons Why Skateboarding is not a Sport
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2016, 10:29:46 PM »
According to Webster's dictionary: Simple Definition of sport: a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other.

Sport

Sport

Not sport

Yup, it's what you make of it.  Skateboarding isn't owned by anyone.  Nobody can say definitively that skateboarding is/isn't a sport, they can only say what skateboarding is to themselves.   that's the beauty of the damn thing.

Wizard Fight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2016, 11:07:00 PM »
Who cares if skating is considered a sport? Why does this matter to people?

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2016, 12:00:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
^OH FUCK ! - that does sound like a 'sport' zimmerman (oh well)
[close]

Another quote from a surf guy:

"One queen would say to the other king: I've got six war canoes and you've got 100 pigs, lets bet and see who's got the better surf family." They were based on style, speed, and the size of the wave. Particularly the style and grace."

Yup sounds like a sport, not competitive in the same way as hockey or basketball, but sport nonetheless.
[close]

No way...more like let's trade...the whole comparing the ancient Hawaiian culture of surfing to skateboarding is ridiculous but there is a small connection possibly which is the mystery. The maneuvers we are about to do, what we are searching for is a mystery. Sort of like the paranormal-ness of the Hawaiians chanting to their gods in their ritual with surfing, and every detail that goes with it. Whatever mythological god they're believing in while surfing there has to be a presence of that in skateboarding. Skateboarders have talked about all these feelings and emotions skateboarding gives you for decades but skateboarding has never pinpointed it on a mythological god. We always just say it's skateboarding. Yet we share this same connection with the ancient Hawaiians in the soul aspect. Maybe it's gravity I don't know some force in nature that is so weak but at times so strong it seems like a god, but we have never once had some god we say is with us while skateboarding. But what I'm getting at the real point, took a while, is how many ancient Hawaiian legends where they were able to put their soul onto rocks, stones, and different places, so most likely there are ancient Hawaiian surf gods in skateboarding, since skating is from surfing, the ancient Hawaiian gods have transferred over. 

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2016, 01:05:56 AM »
Skateboarding isn't a sport because when I'm in these streets I don't play
+1

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

thomas kook

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2016, 02:15:00 AM »
wtf is everyones problem with benihanas these days anyway

The Lap Dancer

• Rep: -49
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2016, 02:35:40 AM »
Who cares if skating is considered a sport? Why does this matter to people?
You have no idea how annoying is when I explain someone or an insurance company I was skating and then the response and counter question always is "so you were training?". Fuck, hell no, I was skating. I never "train" in skateboarding, I learn tricks from time to time and just skate, I never train. Also I want to be as far as possible to be associated with the jock mentality, not because "it ain't cool" or I want to be "the art guy", but because I can't relate myself or anything I do with sports in the slightest.
the lap dancer ...more like the slap cancer.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1467
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2016, 02:38:53 AM »
I wish I wasn't fed this bullshit down my throat all my years when I had the chance to skate everyday. Of course it is a fucking sport. It is a very physically demanding activity and you progress by repetition. Sure, some are naturally gifted and some come into skateboarding with excellent physical abilities gained by previous activities.

For me, a nerdy kid who never played much sports and fell in love with skating, progress was slow. And much of it was down to my lack of strength and the easy going attitude of skateboarding. Ironically, we are inspired by those who excel, yet we scoff at the mention of "training". What is mastering a kickflip down to 99.9% success rate so you can do combos other than fucking training?

I wish we gave kids that want to excel props for working hard on tricks not their image. We don't need to many contests and fuck sponsorship. Let us worship those who can productively use their skateboarding time and manage to work and study at the same time. Now we are breeding generations upon generations of gifted, yet misguided kids that battle for the sponsorship dollars. 99.9% of them never make it and are robbed of a good start in adult life.

TL:DR; Yes, it's a fucking sport. If you wan't to play into the whole artsy aspect of it, you first have to know how to wield the brush aka how to use you legs for tricks.

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2016, 05:40:47 AM »
Let us worship those who can productively use their skateboarding time and manage to work and study at the same time.

What the fuck! You need to get back to your roots.. For instance, its 6am right now, I'm drinking vodka and getting ready for a day of getting high (maybe a little skating).

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2016, 07:17:52 AM »
What a terrible fucking article. I am opposed to skating being in the olympics and I don't like the sportification of skating one bit but this article was just plain shit.
some of that stuff in that article is not accurate.
This whole "skateboarding's not a sport" deal is as embarrassing as "skateboarding's not a crime." Anyone who takes this article seriously or has "deep" conversations on the subject is petulant.

Ripped Laces are so fucking embarrasing. Sometimes they have great content but that's only 20% of their content.
How many stupid shoes mashups do we need?

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2016, 07:20:43 AM »
According to Webster's dictionary: Simple Definition of sport: a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other.

Sport

Sport

Not sport

This. When it's part of a competition, it's a sport. Otherwise it's just a fun and exciting activity. The debate should be whether it's desirable that skateboarding become predominantly a competitive sport or stick to its roots of being an outside culture.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2016, 07:28:26 AM »
Don't keep it real with your insurance company you dipshits tell them yes, you hurt yourself participating in sport/training because they have deductibles for that shit and can you send you to sports medicine doctors who specialize in the injury you got not playing a sport.

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2016, 08:25:28 AM »
I wish I wasn't fed this bullshit down my throat all my years when I had the chance to skate everyday. Of course it is a fucking sport. It is a very physically demanding activity and you progress by repetition. Sure, some are naturally gifted and some come into skateboarding with excellent physical abilities gained by previous activities.

For me, a nerdy kid who never played much sports and fell in love with skating, progress was slow. And much of it was down to my lack of strength and the easy going attitude of skateboarding. Ironically, we are inspired by those who excel, yet we scoff at the mention of "training". What is mastering a kickflip down to 99.9% success rate so you can do combos other than fucking training?

I wish we gave kids that want to excel props for working hard on tricks not their image. We don't need to many contests and fuck sponsorship. Let us worship those who can productively use their skateboarding time and manage to work and study at the same time. Now we are breeding generations upon generations of gifted, yet misguided kids that battle for the sponsorship dollars. 99.9% of them never make it and are robbed of a good start in adult life.

TL:DR; Yes, it's a fucking sport. If you wan't to play into the whole artsy aspect of it, you first have to know how to wield the brush aka how to use you legs for tricks.

I sort of agree...same with racing being called an "AutoSport". I mean a car isn't a game or anything, the race aspect is a large part of it as well as the "tuning" aspect, and there are really no points.  its really about the drivers feel of the mechanics of the car, kind of like a skaters feel of the mechanics of a piece of wood.   

Scott Case

• Rep: -12
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2016, 09:26:55 AM »
This again?
It's like when the nerds try to decide what is and isn't hip hop.