Author Topic: Osaka and Tokyo  (Read 44080 times)

Jive Turkey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
Re: Osaka and Tokyo
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2017, 01:30:44 AM »
Hey Japan Pals-

I will be in Japan for the next 10 days, 5 in Tokyo, a few in Kyoto, and a couple days around Mt. Fuji. Wondering what the best core Tokyo shop is, and if there is a central "plaza" spot to meetup with skaters?  I won't have much time to skate, but have always been fascinated by the Tokyo scene. Any general tips for exploring the scene not already mentioned would be very helpful.

Also- would anyone be willing to "rent" me a complete to use for a day or so? I've been backpacking and couldn't bring my board along. Anyone willing to help I will gladly pay. Thanks in advance!
There are always skaters here:
https://goo.gl/maps/6mhmkJBzVs92
This spot is garbage but people are always there (after 8pm).

Also here along the river:
https://goo.gl/maps/eqkvMZKcjrJ2
Most of the cheap hostels are in this area so if you're staying around there, I'd recommend that over Shibuya (after 8pm).

I'm not really down with renting out my ax but if you're going to buy one this is cheapest place in Tokyo:
https://goo.gl/maps/M57HNbEZBT32
Cash only, no credit cards.

I'll add Mortar to GISM's list:
https://goo.gl/maps/T9pA4DrqYeq

FakieFlipCG

• Rep: 36
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2017, 06:27:23 PM »
FAR-EAST FORTNIGHT

Here's a video I made from my trip to Tokyo this summer if anyone wants to check it out!

UH. Not sure how I missed it, but this video ruled. You guys rip!

I didn't get to skate at all when I was there in March, but I'm hoping to skate a lot the next time I visit.  Would you be able/willing to find pins/addresses for any of these spots?

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2017, 09:55:21 AM »
Not necessarily about Tokyo or Osaka but this seems like the most poppin' thread about Japan on the board

I am graduating from school over here in Long Beach in about two months and have been heavily looking into moving to Japan to teach English for a bit.  I currently have a buddy living/teaching over at a private school in Toyohashi and he said that he could potentially set me up with a job at his school, place to live, etc. over there(at least get me situated). Toyohashi definitely seems like a smaller less "happening" city but my friend seems to have a great setup over there right now and with him being able to help me get a job etc. -  makes everything about moving to a foreign country a lot less stressful rather than move to a city on my own and trying to get setup.

My friend doesn't skate at all - So I guess i'm curious if there is a small skate scene going on around or in Toyohashi(or Nagoya or any neighboring cities/areas)? I definitely plan on skating over there in my free time(even if that just means flat ground in a shitty parking lot!) and possibly picking up surfing again because I am seeing that Toyohashi gets waves...

calling the delegates of Slap Japan GIMP or Jive! any insights(skating, the city in general, location etc.) on Toyohashi/Nagoya/Surrounding areas? Thank yaaaa!

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2017, 05:58:24 PM »
I actually have some friends in Toyohashi. There is a tight little scene there and a couple of DIY parks. Nagoya is also close and they have a good scene as well. And if you surf the beaches near you are great.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2017, 10:34:29 PM »
habby> just do it mate, seriously! I first moved here when I was 20 and I loved it so much I'm still here 18 years later. Don't worry about the small city thang, I live in bumfuck nowhere and there's still lots of skaters here (especially when compared to 15+ years ago). As you said you've got access to Nagoya and Aichi, as a prefecture, is pretty central in the scheme of things so once you find a crew you can travel to other parts of Japan for the weekend or whatever. The other thing is that there are literally spots EVERYWHERE in Japan and most of them are untouched. Don't believe me? Remember this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ximtDZ3o7Ts
Lots of those spots are in my general vicinity (1 I can see from my balcony) and again I'm not even on the mainland :o
The other great thing is that once you get your work visa/ are in Japan, you can look for new jobs/ locations if you don't end up liking Toyohashi. Hit me if you need anything else!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2017, 03:29:22 PM »
habby> just do it mate, seriously! I first moved here when I was 20 and I loved it so much I'm still here 18 years later. Don't worry about the small city thang, I live in bumfuck nowhere and there's still lots of skaters here (especially when compared to 15+ years ago). As you said you've got access to Nagoya and Aichi, as a prefecture, is pretty central in the scheme of things so once you find a crew you can travel to other parts of Japan for the weekend or whatever. The other thing is that there are literally spots EVERYWHERE in Japan and most of them are untouched. Don't believe me? Remember this?
Lots of those spots are in my general vicinity (1 I can see from my balcony) and again I'm not even on the mainland :o
The other great thing is that once you get your work visa/ are in Japan, you can look for new jobs/ locations if you don't end up liking Toyohashi. Hit me if you need anything else!

Damn that is awesome you like it there so much! and hellzzzz yes that busenitz and silas vid. was so awesome. Thanks for all the info, nice to hear that skating is popular over there. I am currently in correspondence with the lady who does the hiring at the school and so far its looking good. I will definitely keep ya posted and will probably be contacting you with more questions haha. Thanks gimp! 

I actually have some friends in Toyohashi. There is a tight little scene there and a couple of DIY parks. Nagoya is also close and they have a good scene as well. And if you surf the beaches near you are great.

Hellllz yea to the DIY parks. I randomly started following some skaters on IG the other day that I think live in Nagoya and they're always posting clips from around the city. It looks sweet! and yes if I end up moving and live that close to the beach I will most def be picking surfing back up. thanks for the response mane!

JumpManShorty

• Rep: -86
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2017, 09:15:36 PM »
Hey pals. I'm staying in Tokyo for awhile. Staying near Akihabara in a hostel then may move hostel depending on the vibe and location. Does anyone want to meet up and skate some shit or have a beer? Hope you guys see this message

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2017, 09:32:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Damn that is awesome you like it there so much! and hellzzzz yes that busenitz and silas vid. was so awesome. Thanks for all the info, nice to hear that skating is popular over there. I am currently in correspondence with the lady who does the hiring at the school and so far its looking good. I will definitely keep ya posted and will probably be contacting you with more questions haha. Thanks gimp! 

Expand Quote
[close]

Hellllz yea to the DIY parks. I randomly started following some skaters on IG the other day that I think live in Nagoya and they're always posting clips from around the city. It looks sweet! and yes if I end up moving and live that close to the beach I will most def be picking surfing back up. thanks for the response mane!

Toyohashi has a great little scene.

The local shop is Watercolour http://watercolorskateshop.com
The local park is kamome park
There is also a little DIY at the chillout surfshop

If you go to Nagoya, you meet everyone at wakamiya and go from there

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2017, 09:28:15 AM »
thanks for the info man, sounds sweet! makes me stoked and also puts me at ease knowing there is a skate scene going on in Toyohashi. Would love to see pics of that DIY spot. are you in Japan as well?

I have an interview in a few days with the school I could potentially be teaching at so things are looking good for me  ;D

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2017, 05:46:17 PM »

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2017, 06:37:50 PM »
thanks for the info man, sounds sweet! makes me stoked and also puts me at ease knowing there is a skate scene going on in Toyohashi. Would love to see pics of that DIY spot. are you in Japan as well?

I have an interview in a few days with the school I could potentially be teaching at so things are looking good for me  ;D

Yeah dude, I live in Fujieda (in Shizuoka prefecture) about 2hours drive from Toyohashi.

Don't get to go skating much these days.. what with being sucky (I really do suck), a salary man (salve) and a having 2yr old (with another one on the way)...

But am always keen to sneak out of dad duties when my wife has a day off... if you end up in Toyohashi i wouldn't mind going down there for a shred ... once summer is over that is.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2017, 11:10:52 AM »
^sounds good man! I'll definitely keep ya posted

lexington

• Rep: -13
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2017, 09:03:29 PM »
Can anyone tell me where in Tokyo? this spot is?

https://youtu.be/2IGdE2e7kxo?t=1135

Also - How much do decks cost in Japan these days?

Thanks in advance for any information

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2017, 10:24:53 PM »
Can anyone tell me where in Tokyo? this spot is?

https://youtu.be/2IGdE2e7kxo?t=1135

Also - How much do decks cost in Japan these days?

Thanks in advance for any information
from memory, it's Osaka no? Decks are still around 10,800 full price but you can pick them up cheaper in bargain bins etc.
This guy: http://s3store.com/product/product_top.cgi?cid=c009 always has decks for a lot cheaper than that!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2017, 02:30:48 AM »
That's Herbis in Osaka. The bubble is gone and the pillars have bars around them now, but you can still weave in between the bars and hit it. I think it make it's more fun honestly. Other than that it's all the same.

SLAPASONIC

• Rep: 22
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2018, 09:17:26 AM »
Hey guys, I've lived in Tokyo nearly for a year, I usually skate in Ueno or Asakusa but they've been cracking down more frequently on skaters, my sessions don't even last 15 mins at spots anymore. So I'm wondering if you guys know any good spots near those areas that I can just work on my flatground, hell even a single curb is better than nothing.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2018, 06:34:17 PM »
Hey guys, I've lived in Tokyo nearly for a year, I usually skate in Ueno or Asakusa but they've been cracking down more frequently on skaters, my sessions don't even last 15 mins at spots anymore. So I'm wondering if you guys know any good spots near those areas that I can just work on my flatground, hell even a single curb is better than nothing.
Where do you usually skate? Down along Sumida river?

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2018, 12:21:43 AM »
Maybe a little off topic, and a good few many months out, but I'll be spending a month or so in Japan at some point this year. Curious if it's possible to find apt's there that would rent for only a month? Idea is to get a better price than what's on airbnb if I stay in any one city that long. Not sure though, might just post up in cities for only a week at a time.

What're you guys top recommendations on cities to visit/skate? I've only been to Fukuoka & Tokyo. Also, I'm curious if it would be easy enough to look around & find a job teaching English while I'm there?

I've had the English teaching job fall into my lap in a couple of countries. If I'm up for it, I think doing it in South Korea or Japan would be my preference over China. My lady wanted to do a working holiday visa in New Zealand but I'd rather go for something like this if I'm trying to not work remote.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2018, 01:27:52 AM »
Maybe a little off topic, and a good few many months out, but I'll be spending a month or so in Japan at some point this year. Curious if it's possible to find apt's there that would rent for only a month? Idea is to get a better price than what's on airbnb if I stay in any one city that long. Not sure though, might just post up in cities for only a week at a time.

What're you guys top recommendations on cities to visit/skate? I've only been to Fukuoka & Tokyo. Also, I'm curious if it would be easy enough to look around & find a job teaching English while I'm there?

I've had the English teaching job fall into my lap in a couple of countries. If I'm up for it, I think doing it in South Korea or Japan would be my preference over China. My lady wanted to do a working holiday visa in New Zealand but I'd rather go for something like this if I'm trying to not work remote.
Getting a job will be damn near impossible without a working visa.
Doing private lessons on the low (cash only) is your best bet.

I'd recommend Osaka (Kansai area).

Monthly/ weekly mansions can be pretty expensive. Perhaps finding a room share on craigslist or something of the sort would be a better option. Or maybe a hostel that'll let you stay long term.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2018, 08:55:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Getting a job will be damn near impossible without a working visa.
Doing private lessons on the low (cash only) is your best bet.

I'd recommend Osaka (Kansai area).

Monthly/ weekly mansions can be pretty expensive. Perhaps finding a room share on craigslist or something of the sort would be a better option. Or maybe a hostel that'll let you stay long term.

Jah, jah, I figured such but I'd try to do it legally and get the working visa if a school would sponsor me. Not sure if being able to say, "hey, I'm in Japan now and can stop by to meet you" makes it easier to land a job teaching English in Japan or SK. Seems to be that way in China. Not that it's really hard to set things up before you arrive in China though.

I entertained the idea of teaching in China at one point and landed a few job offers there with pretty low effort. Basically sent in an application, created a sample lesson plan, and had a Skype interview then got a job offer. Potentially picking up an English teaching job for a bit in the middle of this trip was just an idea I had in the back of my head.

When I was in Fukuoka, there were plentiful nice apartments for around $30 a night which is more or less the daily average I'm going for each month. Tokyo looks mostly absurd but there are a few in that price range & plenty of private rooms for half. Actually, I'm seeing an apt in Tokyo now for around $800 for the month.

The key is finding apt's that offer weekly/monthly discounts. Airbnb makes it kind of a pain because you can't filter by discount - it only shows you the normal price - meaning you have to raise it to more than what you'd want to really pay per night to find these sometimes. 

Anyway, definitely looking forward to skating in Japan either way. I'll for sure make a post when my tickets are booked to see what's good and link up with whoever's around.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2018, 05:30:30 PM »
Yeah, it's just going to be hard to find a place to sponsor you for only a month. They're going to want at least a year out of you.

Tokyo is pretty pricey but you can probably find something. Osaka, Fukuoka, etc. is going to be considerably cheaper.

Avoid mid June to mid July. That's the rainy season and you won't be able to skate much. September we get hit by a lot of typhoons.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2018, 01:09:17 AM »
Yeah, it's just going to be hard to find a place to sponsor you for only a month. They're going to want at least a year out of you.

Tokyo is pretty pricey but you can probably find something. Osaka, Fukuoka, etc. is going to be considerably cheaper.

Avoid mid June to mid July. That's the rainy season and you won't be able to skate much. September we get hit by a lot of typhoons.

Yeah, I figured this was probably the case for Japan. I've done the one month apartment rentals mostly in Eastern Europe/SE Asia but those parts of the world work quite differently.

I'm leaning towards Osaka. Seems to be about half the price of renting a place in Tokyo and a nice base for visiting other cities. Jah, private lessons on the low could be an option. I've found the trick to that is usually just figuring out the local sites and being somewhere long enough to get referrals. Usually not worth the hassle unless you're really strapped for cash or bored haha.

Also curious, how much would you is a good weekly grocery budget in Japan? Or is street food cheaper?

Thanks for the weather tip - that could have very well been when I ended up there. Might have to push getting there out to avoid the rainy season then. Debating whether to to South Korea or Japan first after SE Asia, guess I'll base that off the weather.

You still in Tokyo, Jive?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 01:43:27 AM by sexualhelon »

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2018, 10:18:33 PM »
Yup, still in Tokyo.

Grocery budget really depends on your diet I suppose but $50 will do you.
If you end up in Osaka, Tamade (grocery store name) will keep you fed on the cheap.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2018, 01:01:40 PM »
That place looks sick. I think Osaka it is then.

I'll also be stoked to not get my flights mixed up and have more time to skate Tokyo this time around. Will definitely end up there for a week or two. I'll hit you up closer to then and see what's good.

SLAPASONIC

« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2018, 12:36:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Where do you usually skate? Down along Sumida river?

Yeah, around Sumida River, the one ledge spot near the police box I probably skate the most often, aside from that I skate around Ueno park a lot. Probably gonna start skating more once it gets warmer.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2018, 06:10:08 PM »
Yeah, around Sumida River, the one ledge spot near the police box I probably skate the most often, aside from that I skate around Ueno park a lot. Probably gonna start skating more once it gets warmer.
I'm surprised to hear that. The only place I've ever been kicked out of is the little QPs behind the Asahi building.

The spot across the river from Kuramae station under the highway is fun, even with the banks bricked up.
https://goo.gl/maps/PKh8C8ZbKVs
Pushing around the Kuramae business district there are all kinds of little ledge spots.

There are fun double sided curbs along the tracks in Asakusabashi.
https://goo.gl/maps/X8NkE9Lk56P2
It may be out of the way for you, I don't know where you live.
The only place I actually run into other skaters is the ledge spot on the river near the police box in Asakusa at night, or the kojiki banks during the during.

SLAPASONIC

« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2018, 09:14:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I'm surprised to hear that. The only place I've ever been kicked out of is the little QPs behind the Asahi building.

The spot across the river from Kuramae station under the highway is fun, even with the banks bricked up.
Pushing around the Kuramae business district there are all kinds of little ledge spots.

The only place I actually run into other skaters is the ledge spot on the river near the police box in Asakusa at night, or the kojiki banks during the during.

Thanks for the spot recommendations man. I used to work in Ryogoku a bit and would pass by that bricked up bank, probably a really hard spot to skate but I'm sure they're fun. Was skating near the riverside at Kuramae this morning, there's a few good ledges (unwaxed though) and this awesome manual pad spot, was stoked to find that. I skate pretty poor now (not that I was ever good), so probably going to hit up more of those local spots during this spring and summer.

I live in west Asakusa.

JumpManShorty

« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2018, 05:33:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Can you drop a pin for the ledge spot by the police box? Heading out to Tokyo on the 10th

JumpManShorty

« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2018, 10:31:22 PM »
Double post sorry but does anyone got any daytime spots in Tokyo?

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2018, 08:05:52 PM »
Double post sorry but does anyone got any daytime spots in Tokyo?
This is the ledge spot. It's down along the river. I'd wait until at least 9pm:
https://goo.gl/maps/SxwTQFFFQd32

I always recommend the Kojiki banks for daytime skating. There's a lot of pushing involved but it's easily one of the best collection of spots in Tokyo and completely hassle free.
Get off at Keisei Sekiya station or Tobu Ushida station:
https://goo.gl/maps/beyfAumm6fw

Push to here:
https://goo.gl/maps/NWC8Qzjr3Qs
The red path that runs along the river under the highway to the west of the building I linked above is where you want to go. Just follow that all the way back down to Asakusa. There is so much shit to skate.
Just be sure to grab water, beer, whatever when you are near the station before heading out because there aren't any stores between there and Asukusa other than this one:
https://goo.gl/maps/KgQ3GiKSuaQ2

Other than that this park is the probably the best daytime spot as far as location and linking up with other skaters:
https://goo.gl/maps/w26sUuaxhtq
It's basically just flat ground and a box. Nothing special but all other parks are pretty out of the way.

*EDIT: Forgot about this park. It's pretty fun and not that far out
https://goo.gl/maps/SkpkGkpLuXC2