Author Topic: BAKER concaves  (Read 27044 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: BAKER concaves
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2018, 11:26:31 PM »
I know this thread is super old, I just haven't found a recent thread or discussion about this anywhere.

First of all Baker and Deathwish I dig the homie vibe and the team seems solid. 

Now on to my opinion about their boards had what was the OG shape pointy nose and tail flat as fuck didn't like it. Tried the steep concave DW board twice a wider deck maybe I was wrong nope absolute shit. I would like to try the B2 shape but..... If history has shown me anything else it probably sucks ass as well.

I just disassembled an OG baker, too pointy for my taste but I kiiiiiiinda enjoyed the flat was thinking about the B2 shape again but would rather the B16 squared with the B16 dims, that would be the shit. As it is, the B2 8.3s/8.5s are all 32" with a 14.5"WB...I'd settle for a medium kick/cave around 8.3 and under 32" but longer than 31.5" ...

SpankerChief

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
  • Rob_Skate_Lurker_
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2018, 09:30:09 AM »
Expand Quote
I know this thread is super old, I just haven't found a recent thread or discussion about this anywhere.

First of all Baker and Deathwish I dig the homie vibe and the team seems solid. 

Now on to my opinion about their boards had what was the OG shape pointy nose and tail flat as fuck didn't like it. Tried the steep concave DW board twice a wider deck maybe I was wrong nope absolute shit. I would like to try the B2 shape but..... If history has shown me anything else it probably sucks ass as well.
[close]

I just disassembled an OG baker, too pointy for my taste but I kiiiiiiinda enjoyed the flat was thinking about the B2 shape again but would rather the B16 squared with the B16 dims, that would be the shit. As it is, the B2 8.3s/8.5s are all 32" with a 14.5"WB...I'd settle for a medium kick/cave around 8.3 and under 32" but longer than 31.5" ...
I've been rocking Real HW deck it feels like a foundation deck but does have a decent concave not a full nose or tail.

What I miss about the early 2000's and late 90's the sizes and concaves were standard the block square nose and tail much like an FA or minilogo almost thumb sized.
[ url ]http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2011/09/mind_blown.gif[ / url ]

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2018, 07:19:02 AM »
I’m just after breaking a DEATHWISH team deck that I adored.
It had that pointy noise and tail that I love and a good steep enough concave - another thing I appreciate in a board.
Except for Baker and DW, do any other companies have the same molds / shapes? I like supporting baker and dw but would like more options with brands
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2018, 01:00:24 PM »
B16 is my favorite shape of all time and the shape I've skated the most of back to back; I think all last year all I skated were B16s actually. Every now and then I'll get a dud but for the most part they're amazing. I prefer the medium to flat ones though, flip tricks work better for me on them, the steeper ones don't feel as good; so when I'm buying one at the shop I always gotta stand on it to make sure its flat enough, and when I'm ordering a B16 online I just have to hope that it's not a steeper one.
@poor alice Powell's 8.5 × 32 shape is pretty similar actually.

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2018, 05:39:47 PM »
Hookups uses the pointy shape and medium mellow concave same wood as baker

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2018, 02:30:08 AM »
B16 is my favorite shape of all time and the shape I've skated the most of back to back; I think all last year all I skated were B16s actually. Every now and then I'll get a dud but for the most part they're amazing. I prefer the medium to flat ones though, flip tricks work better for me on them, the steeper ones don't feel as good; so when I'm buying one at the shop I always gotta stand on it to make sure its flat enough, and when I'm ordering a B16 online I just have to hope that it's not a steeper one.
@poor alice Powell's 8.5 × 32 shape is pretty similar actually.

Cheers for the shout, but 8.5 is far too big for me these days- I’ve slowly gone back down from an 8.5 / 8.375 I think to 8.125 and now I’ve settled on an 8.
It’s the pointy nose and tail coupled with the nice concave that adds up to making what I feel has been my favourite shape of board.
I did just order an 8” Lizzie Armando birdhouse for £40, are they still manufactured by the same wood shops as Baker etc?
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2018, 12:00:58 PM »
Any chance anybody could tell me what the deal with baker/deathwish shapes is?

I'm skating this right now:

It's 8.625 wide and it's mellow af, and I want forever. Dude at the shop told me he thinks anything 8.5+ will have the same shape between Baker and Deathwish, but he wasn't 100. Because if it's basically the same as the Baker 8.5s, it would make it easier for me to get the familiar shape.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 12:04:56 PM by SHIREFLIP »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2018, 12:25:47 PM »
https://bakerskateboards.myshopify.com/pages/board-construction

There's the O.G. shape (mellow) and B^2 shape (steep). Chart only goes to 8.5" so who knows what the bigger boards are. Special one offs?

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2018, 01:04:08 PM »
I too consulted the sacred scrolls, but they offered no insight.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2018, 01:07:43 PM »
Expand Quote
I actually dig their super flat shapes
[close]
Same, riding a 8.475 "mellow concave" deck and it's killer

seconded, had the same shape and it skated great (the nose was bit too pointy for me but got used to it). however i do agree that it felt pretty cheap
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

se7en3two

• Rep: -24
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2018, 01:15:48 PM »
Got the deck in hand....

They are in fact the 'steep' concave. Nose and tail kicks are visibly steeper than anything I've on hand (Real, quasi, Creature). Width measures true (straight across, not with the concave), Length says 31.75 (what I was hoping for), measures 32"

This was my concern... It's hard to find 8.25's under 32" and PS stuff measures width including concave I believe.

I like the Quasi/FA shapes & measurements... 8.125x31.75 is like my sweet spot.

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2018, 01:58:20 PM »
For real though guys,  :-[ :-[ are birdhouse hoards the same wood and shapes as Baker?

Lurk or die

• Rep: -4
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2018, 07:03:06 PM »
For real though guys,  :-[ :-[ are birdhouse hoards the same wood and shapes as Baker?

I'm pretty sure it's the same wood, BBS/Generator, because birdhouse is under baker boys distribution. But the shapes are different. I think. I was checking out 8.25 shape and the nose looked more full then The baker or DW.

On another note. Can someone confirm that the kicks on a DW board are steeper? I had a B16 DW board that I fuckin loved, but I was trying out a B16 baker board and it felt pretty flat. I don't know if I'm tripping or it was just that baker board specifically.

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2018, 07:43:33 AM »
One of the dudes at bakerboys emailed me to say the deathwish shapes are generally a bit steeper than baker shapes, but the 8.5s are the same. Hope that helps.

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2019, 05:55:36 AM »
I’ve been skating baker mellow OG, but I may not be able to get another soon. Are any other brands similar in shape/concave?

I believe Foundation and Toy Machine are pretty mellow, and Real has some mellow options.

Any recommendations?

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2019, 12:43:57 PM »
I’ve been skating baker mellow OG, but I may not be able to get another soon. Are any other brands similar in shape/concave?

I believe Foundation and Toy Machine are pretty mellow, and Real has some mellow options.

Any recommendations?

The DOA Flat As Fuck is very similar to the Baker OG in terms of concave and kick but the DOA has a slightly more mellow nose.  Also the DOA nose/tail are both fuller than the Baker OG. 

Toy and Foundation boards are mellow but have tiny tails.  Never had one of the Real Mellow Low Pros but they look awesome

Lurk or die

• Rep: -4
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2019, 01:47:52 PM »
Bliood wizard seems to have a lot of the same specs, but i’ve Never ridden their boards. I feel like I virtually said nothing.

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2019, 03:26:32 PM »
Hahaha nah, it’s all good input.

Kaydubbb

• Rep: 20
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2021, 06:17:03 PM »
Is the Baker OG shape in 8.475 the b16 shape?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2021, 09:02:06 PM »
I think this has pretty much everything you need when you want to know what size and shape Baker boards come in:

https://bakerskateboards.com/pages/board-construction

I could be wrong, but it is only OG mellow or B2 nowdays and all the other shapes and sizes are not being done, but you might find an old B16 somewhere.

EDIT: Possibly it is just the normal mellow shape, as per this link though:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=99297.0

« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 09:20:23 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2021, 10:23:18 PM »
Is the Baker OG shape in 8.475 the b16 shape?

Skated a few B16 decks (boards that came straight from Baker boys with a literal sticker on it that said B16; there’s a couple locals here in town who skate for Baker and that’s the shape they ride and they’ll hook me up with boards here n there), and I’ve skated the 8.475’s that you get from the shop, and they’re the same exact boards. I think someone on here was saying they’re different but they’re not.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2021, 09:13:55 AM »
In addition to the concave above, Baker has been doing some C47 shapes. 8.12" x 31.875", 14.25" WB...supposedly very flat and pointy, based on a shape a lot of them were riding in the early days of the company. Tempted to try one but I wish it were just a little wider.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2021, 09:26:09 AM »
In addition to the concave above, Baker has been doing some C47 shapes. 8.12" x 31.875", 14.25" WB...supposedly very flat and pointy, based on a shape a lot of them were riding in the early days of the company. Tempted to try one but I wish it were just a little wider.

Sounds hot

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2021, 09:28:26 AM »
C47 is the name of the 8.125 that's always been in the line.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2021, 09:47:14 AM »

IDK, it has different dimensions than those listed here:

And a different sticker:

And I can't find it below, but sometime around when he posted this someone asked about what he was skating and he mentioned that the C47 was an old shape they were bringing back.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-KaQPnHBFq/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

It just seems weird they would make a post about that shape, make a different sticker, and have different dimensions listed if it was just the same thing.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2021, 10:49:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

And a different sticker:

And I can't find it below, but sometime around when he posted this someone asked about what he was skating and he mentioned that the C47 was an old shape they were bringing back.

It just seems weird they would make a post about that shape, make a different sticker, and have different dimensions listed if it was just the same thing.
Modern Baker mellow og shapes are tapered but not nearly as pointy as i remember the bakers i got as a kid. I would imagine the c47 to be that old super pointy baker shape I remember.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2021, 01:50:21 PM »
There’s 2 8.1 bakers in the og concave. The other one is shorter at 31.5

I know this because this summer I basically only skated bakers

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2021, 01:52:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
There’s 2 8.1 bakers in the og concave. The other one is shorter at 31.5

I know this because this summer I basically only skated bakers

I sit corrected.

z_tx

• Rep: 26
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2021, 02:42:11 PM »
i'd love to try an 8.25 B2 but the 14.5 wheelbase is a little extreme

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2021, 10:19:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

And a different sticker:

[close]
Modern Baker mellow og shapes are tapered but not nearly as pointy as i remember the bakers i got as a kid. I would imagine the c47 to be that old super pointy baker shape I remember.

yes! set one these up last fall. C47 was def more tapered/pointy, but didn't feel super flat.
dimensions are exactly as listed on the sticker.
Been riding darkrooms, their 8s are also 31.875 long, 14.25 WB. Fuller nose/tail and a bit deeper concave/steeper kicks than the baker C47.
both are BBS wood, so i dig em