Author Topic: I can't do Kickflips  (Read 17551 times)

planman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
I can't do Kickflips
« on: July 31, 2016, 02:16:04 AM »
Alright SLAP, this is sort of a last resort I suppose. I've been skating since I was a tiny child and skating hard for about six years now, but I can't kickflip. I've tried changing up board width, foot positioning, listening to virtually every piece of advice I've been given. It's not happening for me. I can heel and (sort of) varial heel but I cannot land a kickflip. What usually happens is my back foot lands bolts but I can never bring my front back to the board in time, or on occasion I'll get it perfectly but it hits my back foot in mid turn. It's pretty much at the point where I'm just resigned to never being able to learn them. I don't care if I sound like whiney girl or whatever, I don't like not being able to do one one of the most basic fucking tricks in skateboarding. This is basically my last ditch effort. Anything I'm clearly missing?

Tl;dr been skating a long time, can't kickflip
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 10:12:00 AM by planman »

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

glutton.

Re: Kickflips
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 07:10:46 AM »
Stomp hard as fuck to get good pop with the back foot. For me, I'm better going down a small set or up an incline, instead of on flatground. If I can't land something, it's because I'm not going fast enough or getting enough air.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: I can't do Kickflips
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 11:30:45 AM »
how old are you? you sound like you're still pretty young. if that's the case, just keep trying them and trying them and trying them and you will get them for sure. persistence is key.

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 11:50:44 AM »
Man I remember kickflips were the hardest thing for me to learn. I believe it's kinda the breaking point where it's easier to progress. After you land a kickflip, you kinda understand everything alot more.

With the front foot - just make sure you're jumping high enough

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 12:06:35 PM »
Flick faster ...practicing anything switch always help me understand some of what I do wrong.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -299
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 08:13:06 PM »
When you flick with your front foot don't leave it out there like a ninja kick (you will get to that in time) instead, flick,then whip your front foot back towards you. An older local guy showed me this learning technique 10 plus years ago and it worked for me. As you do them more and more consistently you're front foot won't whip back as much as you will know exactly what to expect from the board flipping.. Worked for me anyway. Good Luck!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 01:13:55 PM »
I'm a chronic heel flipper did kick flips @ 14 and never again until I was in my 30's.....so there's hope... Heel flips are easier cause they just stay under you....kickflips are harder cause you're looking at it and you kick it away....

My pointers:

Try stationary, on carpet, holding onto a rail....that kind of dumb shit

Try varial flip instead

Don't open up.....keep your shoulders even.....kick off the corner.  The idea is it flips under you...not in front.

Do it off of something

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 12:20:38 AM »
I think I owe all of you guys some credit, finally learned them today and they're a lot more comfortable than heels. I'd gnar you all if I could

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 10:29:09 PM »
That's sick.....congrats.....

The Lap Dancer

• Rep: -49
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 03:49:36 AM »
Well you know, there is an option - you could always pressure flip.
the lap dancer ...more like the slap cancer.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 07:20:31 AM »
I think I owe all of you guys some credit, finally learned them today and they're a lot more comfortable than heels. I'd gnar you all if I could

is the gif in your sig from the u-district in seattle?

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 06:10:54 PM »

Hell Yeah!

shark tits

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 06:56:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've been wondering the same thing. Briefly lived/worked on a farm in carnation and usestablished skate UW on wkends. Had big plans for that brick kinked ride on ledge into a hill. Drank myself outta that job/housing situation. Alas

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 07:16:28 PM »
I'm a chronic heel flipper did kick flips @ 14 and never again until I was in my 30's.....so there's hope... Heel flips are easier cause they just stay under you....kickflips are harder cause you're looking at it and you kick it away....

oh, that makes sense, on flat my kickflips are more consistent, but my heelflips feel way better, with kickflips it feels like the board spun around then i jumped back onto it making it sketchy, but with heelflips it just pops up, hits my feet, feet hit right on the bolts, no tic tacks, it's weird, it's the only flatground trick that i can do that actually feels like i did it properly.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 07:40:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I've been wondering the same thing. Briefly lived/worked on a farm in carnation and usestablished skate UW on wkends. Had big plans for that brick kinked ride on ledge into a hill. Drank myself outta that job/housing situation. Alas

I skated red square all the time in the late 90s/early 2000s. and a lot of times I would skate down the ave. and then hit up that kinked brick ledge. but all I ever did on it was ollie the first part of it or just ride down it.

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2016, 05:40:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

I skated red square all the time in the late 90s/early 2000s. and a lot of times I would skate down the ave. and then hit up that kinked brick ledge. but all I ever did on it was ollie the first part of it or just ride down it.
I think so but I wouldn't know, I pulled it from the 2015 Seattle All-City Showdown video

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 60
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2016, 11:51:01 PM »
Added kf tip:

I think it helps to keep in mind that u should level out your feet when u flick, in the same way as an ollie (the follow through motion).

Eric ricks

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 05:40:46 AM »
I taught my 10 year old son how to do them with the "ollie then flick"

Had it down within a week

Wtf? Kickflips took me like 3 years hahaha

Op thats sick ya learned em

Nothing beats the feeling of a nice fast, popped kickflip

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 01:27:01 PM »
jump highger so you give yourself the best chance of landing it

jomeara1

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2016, 06:12:29 PM »
Kickflips were hands down the most frustrating "basic trick" I've ever learned.  You're not alone.  Glad you made it through though.  :D

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2016, 04:37:53 AM »
Kickflips were hands down the most frustrating "basic trick" I've ever learned.  You're not alone.  Glad you made it through though.  :D

True for many Johnny, funny how so many tricks make sense though after you get them!

jomeara1

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2016, 05:59:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

True for many Johnny, funny how so many tricks make sense though after you get them!

Yup.  It's all about getting that proper flick.  From there, the possibilities are endless.

MJION

• Rep: 2
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2016, 07:07:43 PM »
 often overlooked......  Keep your shoulders parallel to the board... do not turn your shoulders at all. boom. done.
keeps your feet above your board and in the correct position.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2016, 01:05:19 PM »
I feel you guys, kickflips took me forever to learn! But now it's all I really do on flat haha I'm lame. But it's the most fun for me.

I usually have my shoulders facing forward slightly, not parallel with my board. But whatever works for you!

Backside flips on the other hand...how the fuck????
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

Olabade

• Rep: -46
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2016, 10:12:35 PM »
I feel you guys, kickflips took me forever to learn! But now it's all I really do on flat haha I'm lame. But it's the most fun for me.

I usually have my shoulders facing forward slightly, not parallel with my board. But whatever works for you!

Backside flips on the other hand...how the fuck????

The usual advice is to do a regular kickflip and turn your shoulders. Didn't work for me. I have slightly more front foot on the board and I aim to flick even higher on the nose than on kickflips. Also I have more of my backfoot on the tail to get that slight scoop. I start rotating my shoulders before I pop. I kinda try to rotate the board 180 around the front truck of that makes sense, so it stays under me and use my backfoot to guide it the rest of the way after I catch it. This on took me years after learning kickflips to get. Have fun with it. Its also way easier on a hip. Maybe try that first.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2016, 12:10:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
I think so but I wouldn't know, I pulled it from the 2015 Seattle All-City Showdown video

It is in the U-district. Across from the Deca Hotel.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2016, 04:16:55 PM »
the best tip i ever got for kickflips was to drag my toe right over the bottom left (for regular stance) truck bolt and right out of the pocket.
turned my stanky rocket flips to legit kickflips that 13 year old me was hella proud of.

also,

pop flick catch BANG!

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2016, 07:48:01 AM »
This might be worth a gander

You have one of the most perfectly popped kickflips in the biz, what?s your secret?
It?s all in the front foot. I see a lot of people use the front part of their toe to flick, but it?s more about using the entire side of your foot to flick, like where your laces start, the last last three lower loops.
Watch Jeremy Wray do it, he is a prime example. He?s got a big ass foot and he would be riding a 7.5 board, kickflipping with his foot almost right in the center of the board. If you see his shoes his laces are fucked halfway up the shoe because he?s using the entire side of his foot to do that kickflip. Andrew Reynolds does the same. Just stay on top of it at all times, jump up, flick and that board will come right up ? it?s going to come up to your feet just like an ollie.

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2015/04/09/the-cky-era-with-kerry-getz/
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2016, 04:18:09 PM »
I ride loose and my kick flips suck, I can do em but there ugly
But if I ride my friends board with tight trucks there really easy
It's the only  trick that's easier with tight trucks for me

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2016, 10:59:20 PM »
Id say the vast majority of flat ground tricks are easier to flip at least with tight trucks....