Author Topic: I can't do Kickflips  (Read 17525 times)

Bumpovertrash

Re: I can't do Kickflips
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2016, 01:47:28 PM »
yeah your right I've been skating for 12 years and figure
I would have them if I was ever going to
For real though I can do good fs flips  tres
And All the fakie variations but somethin about regular kick flips
Just doesn't work for me

foureyedjim

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2016, 11:06:54 PM »
This might be worth a gander

You have one of the most perfectly popped kickflips in the biz, what?s your secret?
It?s all in the front foot. I see a lot of people use the front part of their toe to flick, but it?s more about using the entire side of your foot to flick, like where your laces start, the last last three lower loops.
Watch Jeremy Wray do it, he is a prime example. He?s got a big ass foot and he would be riding a 7.5 board, kickflipping with his foot almost right in the center of the board. If you see his shoes his laces are fucked halfway up the shoe because he?s using the entire side of his foot to do that kickflip. Andrew Reynolds does the same. Just stay on top of it at all times, jump up, flick and that board will come right up ? it?s going to come up to your feet just like an ollie.

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2015/04/09/the-cky-era-with-kerry-getz/

This is how I learned it.  Also kicking out to the corner of the nose, not off to the side or too downwards otherwise your rocket or the tail will come up way too high. 

It's all about trusting the board will come up and letting your back foot come up.  When I didn't have em I would always leave my back foot hanging low and the board would just rocket.  Also, you can try putting more pressure on the front foot.  You'll notice for most tricks you're not comfortable with you'll tend to lean back and try to square your shoulders forward.  Try not to do that, and a lot of tricks will start to feel better.

busey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1284
  • i can't it's a geo!
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2016, 04:16:36 AM »
pressure in your baby toe and pretend to do an ollie north.
I rolled my ankle jacking off on a ladder.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2017, 01:45:44 AM »
Holy shit, had a major breakthough with kickflips recently. Being a former mob-4-life flicker, I could always do them and land them halfway decently, but never enough to reach into the "satisfactory" territory. I've tried working away the mob motion I've got used to over the past 1-2 years and would always have trouble still. Basically the problem was the pop. I'd spent so much time focusing on flick (which is better now) but couldn't ever get it to feel right. Pretty much, I started messing with my back foot and alls I did was stood on my toes/ball of the foot more (with my heel raised), and all the sudden I started getting that right pop and the spin/catch just starting coming along so much easier all the sudden. It's surprising how the smallest change can do the trick sometimes.    
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 01:48:28 AM by franquietits »

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 299
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2017, 10:45:13 AM »

Backside flips on the other hand...how the fuck????

A good friend of mine who's a local at my hometown skatepark gave me some great advice with backside flips. The first step is that before you even try them have backside 180s on lock, to the point where you can do them every time without any thought or consideration put into it at all. After your backside 180s are as subconscious as possible, you're ready to start trying backside flips. Put your front foot in the kickflip position and your back foot in the backside 180 position (the ideal spot is up to debate but I like to put my toes squarely in the middle of the tail, I reserve the "pocket" of the tail for 360 degree tricks like tres, backside 360s and impossibles). Go for your subconscious slight wind up for the backside 180, but when it's time to pop, (here's the important part) focus ENTIRELY on the kickflip. Your brain should be pretending that it is only doing a kickflip and no other trick because focusing on that flick is critical as fuck. If your backside 180s are locked deep enough in your brain and you really paid attention to that flick you should be starting to land them no problem. Also, learning them on banks helps a good amount because gravity helps you even more with the backside 180 so you can put even more brain effort into that flick.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

shit_for_brains

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2017, 01:02:09 PM »
Whooooooaaaaa he's a local at your hometown park that's quite a pedigree

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2017, 09:09:39 AM »
often overlooked......  Keep your shoulders parallel to the board... do not turn your shoulders at all. boom. done.
keeps your feet above your board and in the correct position.

^ this goes for so much of skateboarding and it's what I fight with.....

With kickflips I have to tell myself to jump backwards like east/west, so the board stays under me.....

The vortex I see people get into is they do it like Gonz shoulders facing forward board flips between legs and then you never jump on it.  Sort of like a shit frontside flip....

If you keep everything super parallel it just lands under you.  It feels super weird but it's for the best....

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2017, 01:54:41 PM »
Expand Quote

Backside flips on the other hand...how the fuck????

[close]

focus ENTIRELY on the kickflip.

this is solid advice