Author Topic: Hill bombing.. Isn't it the best?  (Read 6370 times)

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
Re: Hill bombing.. Isn't it the best?
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2016, 06:30:37 PM »
The moment when your asshole could crush a diamond into dust.. that's when you're 'bombing'.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2016, 06:36:39 PM »
when you almost get smoked by a car and almost cry at the bottom realizing that you may have almost died there, but i didn't, that's when youre "bombing"

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2016, 06:49:34 PM »
That moment when your lips are chapped and reach for the blistex, that's when you're balming

wallieD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2016, 07:08:57 PM »
one of the best hillbombs of all time

muntcuscle

• Rep: 44
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2016, 07:16:01 PM »
one of the best hillbombs of all time

he didn't melon grab that gap at 0:25 either like some kook stuntman

haven't seen any doug footy in a while... wonder what he's been up to

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2016, 07:27:20 PM »
I remember my first beer, too.

It was a Natural Ice and the year was 1995. I was too young to be drinking, but there was a bodega where the dude just didn't give a shit. Rumor was a couple of 12 year-olds bought a gallon of box wine there over the winter and got alcohol poisoning down by the river. Everybody was ready to go get wasted after that!

I got there after school one day and played it real cool, like everything was chill. My pal Bobby waited outside, keeping an eye on things, while I went inside. I nodded at the dude and he didn't even give a shit! I went to the beer cooler just like I'd been doing it for years, totally casual, and grabbed two 40s of that sweet, sweet Natty Ice. I went to the counter, all nervous and ready to book it if he asked for my ID, but he just rang me up without ever taking his eyes off the issue of Juggs he was reading. I paid with a sweaty $10 bill I'd been keeping in my sock, grabbed my change and the beers, and fucking hit it!

Not even 10 minutes later, me and Bobby were getting drunk as shit and watching the ships go by. It was the best day of my life, even after some homeless guy pulled out his nutsack and showed us his chigger scars. Man, what a chill day that was!

damn. everyone in this thread just got smoked.

GeorgeHanson

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2016, 07:28:51 PM »
Hill Bombing is honestly the fucking best.

You can keep all your flip in flip out shit I just wanna feel the gravel beneath the urethane and the fear when you start to lose control. The best.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2016, 11:39:43 PM »
Quit doing this few years ago when this one local dude hit his head and died ;(
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

frontsideindy

• Rep: -122
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2016, 12:47:02 AM »
back in the days i lived in a very hilly area, small village with steep streets, not that much traffic.
downhill wise it was dreamland - but the next real ledge was a  3 miles downhill away so i rode 3 downhills each day
 - from home to school and to my fav spots.
i still could ride that downhills blindfolded - sometimes i still ride that downhills in my dreams - after 20 years.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2016, 04:52:12 AM »
Hill bombing such a rush, it's like chewing 5 gum

It's such a trip though when the ride is all about your attitude on it, if your feeling good and calm minded your good if you get scared and stay stiff you get the wobbles and die
yes

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2016, 05:44:42 AM »
3 years ago i hill bombed the mountain road after a day's snowboarding/drinking/smoking
almost died, woke up at the hospital
had rictas chrome cores on and though my head/dislocated collarbone/random burns&bruises have healed, my feet are still shaky from the rattling
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2016, 07:05:44 AM »

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2016, 09:31:48 AM »
Why would you wanna feel gravel under your wheels
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 514
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2016, 09:56:23 AM »
The first week I got into skateboarding the guy who told me I should save up and buy a real skateboard hit a pebble and died after hitting his head. Bummer.

That was my introduction to hill bombing. I've spent the last 7 years in SF living on top of a hill in the Outer Sunset. There came a point a couple years ago where my body literally couldn't handle bombing hills anymore. Powerslides were painful, but if you know SF they are necessary for many hills. I had to switch to soft wheels to handle slowing down without having to powerslide. It reinvigorated that awesome feeling of smashing down a hill again, knowing if I needed to carve on a dime I wouldn't slide out.

Time for some memorable hill bombs / name dropping...

The first few months I was out here I met up with Karl Watson and he took me to a hill outside of Richmond. I think Karl had the biggest smile on out of everyone I've bombed a hill with. He was smashing!

I was in a car following Tony Manfre as he straight lined down Quintara in the middle of the night after a pretty heavy 49ers party. I've never seen someone so comfortable on a board after a night of partying. I think he hit somewhere around 35-40mph. Gnarly!

The Sunset Sliders are a crew of longboarders who used to drive around the neighborhood every Tuesday or Wednesday night. I was trying to hitch hike back up Quintara after bombing it with no luck. All of a sudden a bus full of people shows up and the driver says: "Wanna hit some more hills?". I cram my way into the back of the bus and spent the next few hours appreciating those who choose to ride bigger boards and strictly chase the gnarliest downhill speeds they can attain.

The only thing I can compare to hill bombing is smashing down a mountain on a snowboard on a powder day. Or dropping into a heavy peeling wave. Of course those 2 activities aren't as simple as walking up a hill and dropping in, which makes skateboarding the obvious choice for the majority.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1373
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2016, 10:04:14 AM »
That moment when your lips are chapped and reach for the blistex, that's when you're balming

That's when you're Larry balming.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2016, 11:08:35 AM »
The first week I got into skateboarding the guy who told me I should save up and buy a real skateboard hit a pebble and died after hitting his head. Bummer.

That was my introduction to hill bombing. I've spent the last 7 years in SF living on top of a hill in the Outer Sunset. There came a point a couple years ago where my body literally couldn't handle bombing hills anymore. Powerslides were painful, but if you know SF they are necessary for many hills. I had to switch to soft wheels to handle slowing down without having to powerslide. It reinvigorated that awesome feeling of smashing down a hill again, knowing if I needed to carve on a dime I wouldn't slide out.

Time for some memorable hill bombs / name dropping...

The first few months I was out here I met up with Karl Watson and he took me to a hill outside of Richmond. I think Karl had the biggest smile on out of everyone I've bombed a hill with. He was smashing!

I was in a car following Tony Manfre as he straight lined down Quintara in the middle of the night after a pretty heavy 49ers party. I've never seen someone so comfortable on a board after a night of partying. I think he hit somewhere around 35-40mph. Gnarly!

The Sunset Sliders are a crew of longboarders who used to drive around the neighborhood every Tuesday or Wednesday night. I was trying to hitch hike back up Quintara after bombing it with no luck. All of a sudden a bus full of people shows up and the driver says: "Wanna hit some more hills?". I cram my way into the back of the bus and spent the next few hours appreciating those who choose to ride bigger boards and strictly chase the gnarliest downhill speeds they can attain.

The only thing I can compare to hill bombing is smashing down a mountain on a snowboard on a powder day. Or dropping into a heavy peeling wave. Of course those 2 activities aren't as simple as walking up a hill and dropping in, which makes skateboarding the obvious choice for the majority.

Didn't you do the Hill Bomb guide for Satori site?   In East San Jose, there are a bunch of bombs in the hills some pretty long ones too, so I never ventured out to SF for bombs, mostly to skate spots, one day I will do those SF bombs.
I also agree that smashing down a hill being similar to snowboarding on a powder day...I was pretty upset because I bought a new set up 2yrs ago and because of the drought have not been able to go snowboarding...so been bombing hills instead to get that feeling
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 11:11:31 AM by Abyss1 »

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2016, 04:13:11 PM »
I'm wayyy more comfortable bombing hills after partying than when I'm sober. The biggest hills I've ever bombed have always been when I'm shitfaced drunk and don't give a fuck. Its probably not a good thing, but its true. I've woken up with sheets stuck to me having no idea how the fuck it happened more than once.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2016, 11:01:23 PM »
It's the best when you're with your homies in skintight racing suits, sometimes sticking your hand out to gently push their ass when you get too close.

bo bice

• Rep: 84
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2016, 12:45:29 AM »
ahh man I miss bombing hills, I grew up in a very hilly city.  I remember one time after a night at the bar I went to my friends place, borrowed a couple dvds and went to go home via a pretty steep hill that I'd usually put my foot down or do a bunch of powerslides for but for whatever reason i was like I got this.. bombed it straight down, about halfway down I realize 1) I am very drunk 2) I'm riding faster than I have ever ridden, certainly past the point of jumping off without eating shit.  feeling more alive than ever.  anyways at the bottom of the hill there's 2 of those things that are just like 3 inch gap things that you can normally just ride over but if you weren't aware you'd hang up.  anyways right as I'm coming to that my hat flies off, I instinctively reach out to catch it and I hit the crack, my board completely stopped, I probably flew 10 feet and slid another 10, skinned my knee, hip, shoulder and my forearm from the elbow to wrist.  the dvds were like half a block away.  cars stopped to ask if I was ok and I'm like "yeeeeah I'm alright, happens all the time" and waved them off. grabbed my homie's videos, walked home and was grateful to be drunk as I rinsed gravel out of my skin.  I haven't thought about that in a long time.  now I wanna go bomb a hill.

skate_spbr

• Rep: -2
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2016, 01:58:24 AM »

hill bombing is the truth

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2016, 11:28:34 AM »

The moment when you start going too fast to powerslide.. That's when you're "bombing"

Then shortly after that, the moment when you can no longer jump off and run it out. Just buckle in and hold on.

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2016, 11:33:10 AM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=92231.msg2534826#msg2534826 date=1470724783

you can get killed walking your doggie.

unerds

• Rep: -3
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2016, 11:37:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you don't even have to leave the house to die at the hands of some random incident... might as well get out there and have some experiences.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2016, 12:25:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

you don't even have to leave the house to die at the hands of some random incident... might as well get out there and have some experiences.

If im not out there bombing hills doesnt mean that i'll be staying home all day, i just like more low impact skating these days. I leave that dangerous stuff to younger guys,done my fair share in past, and keep skating every day all day. If that makes me pussy and leave me without those magical experiences, im cool with that.

It sucks getting old.

m477

• Rep: 7
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2016, 10:56:00 PM »
As long as your board is less than 33", your wheels are no softer than 97a and your trucks are loose. Yes.

Otherwise, wrong forum.
haha that is strict but I see your point.

In my book, as long as your trucks ain't backwards it's all good (gonz and Dway ride longboards and rip)

shark tits

« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2016, 11:03:26 PM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=92231.msg2535419#msg2535419 date=1470857104
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

If im not out there bombing hills doesnt mean that i'll be staying home all day, i just like more low impact skating these days. I leave that dangerous stuff to younger guys,done my fair share in past, and keep skating every day all day. If that makes me pussy and leave me without those magical experiences, im cool with that.
Pussy boy don't want magic

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2016, 11:14:32 PM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=92231.msg2535419#msg2535419 date=1470857104
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Tru dat. There was a downhill racing competition yesterday at my hometown, homie is in hospital right now waiting for surgery, blew up his spleen. So no, do not want that kind of magic,you guys can keep killing yourselves tho. Slappies ftw.

It sucks getting old.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2016, 10:31:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Tru dat. There was a downhill racing competition yesterday at my hometown, homie is in hospital right now waiting for surgery, blew up his spleen. So no, do not want that kind of magic,you guys can keep killing yourselves tho. Slappies ftw.
Bitter old man, go bomb a hill

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2016, 01:52:02 PM »
You just gotta use your head once in a while. This last weekend I skated some two lane bike paths in the hills of some fancy neighbourhood, going downhill on those paths is way sketchier since they're so narrow. Twice I got into tricky situations that could've gone way worse:

First I was planning to ride down this path next to the road, it was a stupid idea from the beginning since the path ended at the bottom with bumpy sidewalks and an immediate intersection. I'd be going way too fast to stay in control, but I went anyway. I started thinking everything was fine till halfway down some lady was on the side with a baby stroller lol. I just didn't wanna risk hitting them so I hopped off at speed, felt like I shattered a bone in both feet haha but I managed to run it out.

The second was going down these three slopes that had a bit of flat areas in between, it was raining so I figured I would give it a shot since sliding or falling wouldn't be so bad. By the time I made it down the second slope I was going mach 14, still couldn't see the runout, and shit was just way to hectic so I steered towards the grass. The second my feet touched the ground I got flung about 20 feet along the side of the hill! My outstretched hands dug huge long trenches in the wet dirt lol. :P

See if someone wasn't as careful as I am they could've easily got messed up in those situations.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 02:49:28 PM by Zimmer »

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2016, 02:42:38 PM »
Don't try to push hill bombing on those too scared to bomb hills. If it was safe and everybody did it, it wouldn't be as fun. I love when people look at me shocked because I'm passing them in their cars on the way down the hill.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out