Author Topic: The Berrics: PJ Ladd | Footnotes  (Read 8531 times)

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
The Berrics: PJ Ladd | Footnotes
« on: August 17, 2016, 11:19:24 AM »
PJ talks about the evolution of his shoes and some new clips:

http://theberrics.com/footnotes-pj-ladd-new-balance-numeric/

Casey Jones

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
Re: The Berrics: PJ Ladd | Footnotes
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 12:04:01 PM »
"Hey, PJ, Look I know it's like not your thing really, but do you think you could film a couple clips for this? Not a part though wait come back! Where are you going! Hey!"

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 12:14:53 PM »
Love the Fakin Jax beat.

Forgot about his pro model on Es. I remember it being so lack luster. I still think his DC shoe could have done better if it wasn't for the price. Even Wenning's shoe was great but not sure if it sold as much at the time.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Righteous Victim

• Rep: 110
  • Get yourself looked at.
    • Letterboxd avatar image
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 12:27:50 PM »
Those are old clips.

micky682

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 12:43:11 PM »
"Hey, PJ, Look I know it's like not your thing really, but do you think you could film a couple clips for this? Not a part though wait come back! Where are you going! Hey!"

I know WHL is a legendary part, but how long can a dude coast by on 1 part.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 01:08:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
He also had Really Sorry. Guy went about 10 years off of Mouse, Video Days and friend section clips. Penny lived off legend for awhile, to the extent they reused a bunch of clips for his Menikmati section. I really hope PJ has a comeback part at some point, but it gets more doubtful by the year. The weird thing is, unlike Guy and Penny, he has clips showing up in places. In Guy's extended hiatus, the only guest clips I can think of was his big flip in Yeah Right, and a fakie big flip in Penny's Really Sorry part (Which i would love to hear explained because I've never seen it brought up in interviews). 

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 01:39:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
He also had Really Sorry. Guy went about 10 years off of Mouse, Video Days and friend section clips. Penny lived off legend for awhile, to the extent they reused a bunch of clips for his Menikmati section. I really hope PJ has a comeback part at some point, but it gets more doubtful by the year. The weird thing is, unlike Guy and Penny, he has clips showing up in places. In Guy's extended hiatus, the only guest clips I can think of was his big flip in Yeah Right, and a fakie big flip in Penny's Really Sorry part (Which i would love to hear explained because I've never seen it brought up in interviews). 
i don't think those are fair comparisons. penny wasn't milking it, he tried leaving pro skateboarding. guy wasn't himself, he was a crackhead junkie. pj doesn't have any legit excuses.

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 01:58:10 PM »
Those are old clips.

There was 2 new clips but the point remains, the majority were previously used.

mareo

• Rep: -336
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 02:05:12 PM »
Looks like he still thinks his hair is antennas for energy.

And I love it

Quote from: I sniff my own butthole all the time
2nd vote would be for PJ. sometimes it is a fine command of the english language to say nothing and he extended that to skating. PJ's plan B part is the emperor's new clothes.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 03:53:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]
i don't think those are fair comparisons. penny wasn't milking it, he tried leaving pro skateboarding. guy wasn't himself, he was a crackhead junkie. pj doesn't have any legit excuses.
The question was has anyone lived 10 years off of skateboarding with so little footage, regardless of what the reasons were. PJ is able to stay relevent because he's had small clips over the years (stuff in NB# stuff, real street, dc shoe promo, and Berrics). At least PJ is still has a legendary part, what amazes me more is how Bennie Fairfax still has a career, I don't think he's had a full part and he's been aorund 10 years.

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 04:50:38 PM »
damn it i kinda wanna try a pair now. so easily brainwashed
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

asakusa75

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 04:53:13 PM »
I prefer skaters like PJ that aren't pumping out parts and showing everybody everything they are doing. Its overkill.
Just knowing that he is out skating ledges and manual pads doing fucked up shit is enough for me.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 07:26:08 PM »
PJ is every bit as useless as Antwuan.

Both were unique and ahead of their time. Both had two(ish) 'legendary parts' before producing fuck all for over a decade. At least 'Twaun' had better excuses for falling off. From what I can tell, PJ won't release a full part because it would confirm what everyone already knows...

That he peaked 10 years ago and lots of relatively unknown guys have caught up with and in many ways surpassed him in terms of technical ability. Why confirm everyone's suspicions with a real part when you can play the enigmatic, mysterious pro who can do mind bending shit, but decides not to.

Bullshit.
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 09:11:55 PM »
PJ is every bit as useless as Antwuan.

Both were unique and ahead of their time. Both had two(ish) 'legendary parts' before producing fuck all for over a decade. At least 'Twaun' had better excuses for falling off. From what I can tell, PJ won't release a full part because it would confirm what everyone already knows...

That he peaked 10 years ago and lots of relatively unknown guys have caught up with and in many ways surpassed him in terms of technical ability. Why confirm everyone's suspicions with a real part when you can play the enigmatic, mysterious pro who can do mind bending shit, but decides not to.

Bullshit.

Harsh, but probably right. Although the bewildering thing is that in the few clips that have surfaced, as well as in games of skate etc., he's always just good enough to make the mystery tale  seem plausible.

dougDfresh

• Rep: -25
  • "...we are the dreamers of the dream."
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 10:58:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

Being socially awkward is a legit excuse!

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2016, 12:20:18 AM »
He put out a commercial today: https://vimeo.com/179234851

Great line in there (if it wasn't spliced together). He's definitely still got it, he's just...I don't know what the hell he's doing.

He's put out web parts, not the same energy as the early days I guess, but maybe he's building up to that. I don't think anyone's waiting with bated breath, though. I even got the vibe that he's moving into a different career path with designing shoes, but that's doubtful.

I really liked this footage:

PJ Ladd - Bangin!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 12:25:21 AM by Adam Abbas »

skate_spbr

• Rep: -2
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2016, 12:42:36 AM »

Great line in there (if it wasn't spliced together). He's definitely still got it, he's just...I don't know what the hell he's doing.

He's put out web parts, not the same energy as the early days I guess, but maybe he's building up to that. I don't think anyone's waiting with bated breath, though. I even got the vibe that he's moving into a different career path with designing shoes, but that's doubtful.

PJ Ladd - Bangin!

What's up with the (apparent) blank board though?

asakusa75

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 12:53:37 AM »
I know its old...but I have watched this so many times.

Plan B Skateboards - PJ Ladd - Best Digi-Snacks - YouTube

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 01:41:52 AM »
woah, i guess i have never seen that clip before.
that was some dope footage thanks for posting.

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -377
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 04:57:06 AM »
Expand Quote

PJ Ladd - Bangin!
[close]

What's up with the (apparent) blank board though?

Plan B deck in this one I think. Could be wrong.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJL4f5FhphQ/?taken-by=pjladd&hl=en

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2016, 06:08:22 AM »

Damn it, every time I make up my mind to hate him for what he's doing to all of us, I see a clip of his and am in love with him again. PJ is like a hot girl who is eternally playing hard to get.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 06:13:35 AM by RoaryMcTwang »

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2016, 07:16:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Looks like approximately 14 years and counting.
That being said, that part is still looking fresh to these eyes even today.
Those Boston granite window sill lines... :o I am hard pressed to think of someone more in their element--it's not even that it all looks effortless, it's that he's oozing confidence.

But yeah, a new part would be nice.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2016, 09:37:56 AM »
I don't care, I love him more than anything in the world.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2016, 11:04:58 AM »
Is having that one phenomenal skate part the same as an music artist putting out a one hit wonder song or album, and riding that as a life long stimulus?

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2016, 12:10:25 PM »
It's actually been close to 14 years since his last video part. Really Sorry was released in 2003.

Brown Thunder

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -66
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2016, 12:12:11 PM »
if you think PJ still can't fuck shit up then you're an Idiot

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2016, 12:15:41 PM »
if you think PJ still can't fuck shit up then you're an Idiot

I don't think anybody here would say PJ doesn't still have it. We just wish he'd actually fuck shit up.

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -377
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2016, 01:34:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Damn it, every time I make up my mind to hate him for what he's doing to all of us, I see a clip of his and am in love with him again. PJ is like a hot girl who is eternally playing hard to get.

Bastard does the shit on purpose

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2016, 02:37:36 PM »
This thread is weird. This is the most PJ Ladd has ever spoken on camera and nobody is talking about it. He sounds too normal. It really undercuts the mystique thing we all agree that he's going for. That and too many people think his only part was WHL.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2016, 03:49:50 PM »
Front runner for shittiest thread of the year right here