Author Topic: The Berrics: PJ Ladd | Footnotes  (Read 8537 times)

Iceman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
Re: The Berrics: PJ Ladd | Footnotes
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2016, 02:27:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I always thought it was weird that they made this a separate part for this vid, I mean while the skating is sick, it's still only 40 seconds for fucks sake.
and only 5 tricks at that.

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2016, 03:38:04 PM »
Threads and discussion like these are why they made it a separate part. His skating cannot be fucked with. No one "caught up" with him. Yes, skating has progressed in the last decade but his skating is still so solid, so fucking good, stylish and progressive too.
That last trick could have used another slow mo. Look at how well caught and executed everything in that 40 seconds is. Who else has done a nollie cab bluntslide in a line and made it look that dam casual.

If there was one mystery around the Ladd that I would liked solved, it's what the fuck happened with his Plab B part, though to be fair True seemed like the least coordinated and organised video ever (two of your most prolific riders have no footage in there and all they did was tease PJ's face in the credits. What the hell?)
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2016, 05:00:58 AM »
I saw an insta clip of him doing a fakie inward-heelflip tailslide to fakie flip out the other day, who knows how old it was but I'm still a believer. Anyone around when WHL came out would never doubt the dude, no matter how much time goes by.  

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2016, 06:01:07 AM »
I dunno where/when this footage is from, but it's all very sick, set to a good instrumental beat:

And a lot of this is definitely 2014/2015, wearing adidas and NB, worst song though:
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2016, 07:18:35 AM »

Even though it's skatepark footage this Manolos edit of all his older Berrics footage is one of my favorite clips ever.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2016, 08:44:46 AM »
I saw an insta clip of him doing a fakie inward-heelflip tailslide to fakie flip out the other day, who knows how old it was but I'm still a believer. Anyone around when WHL came out would never doubt the dude, no matter how much time goes by.  

If Pj had lived up his pjwhl potential, he could easily have become Shane Oneill
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

Hypnotoad

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2016, 08:52:49 AM »
PJ changed skateboarding.  He changed it more than anyone else has since.  Everyone into skating when WHL came out was influenced by him and wanted to skate like him to some degree.  He's not just a dude who put out a couple parts.  He's a dude who single handedly rejuvenated skateboarding and shook it out of a huge homogenous, boring funk.  He's the reason an otherwise mediocre shop video with one other good part is the best selling skate video of all time.  That's why he gets a pass, and that's why anyone talking trash about him can eat shit.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2016, 09:28:11 AM »
PJ changed skateboarding.  He changed it more than anyone else has since.  Everyone into skating when WHL came out was influenced by him and wanted to skate like him to some degree.  He's not just a dude who put out a couple parts.  He's a dude who single handedly rejuvenated skateboarding and shook it out of a huge homogenous, boring funk.  He's the reason an otherwise mediocre shop video with one other good part is the best selling skate video of all time.  That's why he gets a pass, and that's why anyone talking trash about him can eat shit.
Now THAT is overselling him. Not everybody was influenced by him, skateboarding wasn't boring, and WHL isn't the best selling skate video of all time.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

shark tits

« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2016, 09:33:51 AM »
Only one good part? Um, did you not watch Southie Casper flipping to feeling called love? I dig cutthroat colin Fiske in his andrew Reynolds phase also.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2016, 11:08:30 AM »
As a whole i only liked Alexis, Jerome, and PJs parts...PJ definitely represented that East Coast style and his level of tech skating was pre Mike Mo.

Righteous Victim

• Rep: 110
  • Get yourself looked at.
    • Letterboxd avatar image
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2016, 11:34:25 AM »
As a whole i only liked Alexis, Jerome, and PJs parts...PJ definitely represented that East Coast style and his level of tech skating was pre Mike Mo.
Jerome Rogers.

Gallant's part was the "one other good part" I'm guessin'.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2016, 11:42:49 AM »
I'm still a believer.

that's why anyone talking trash about him can eat shit.

^^All of this.

I still (want to) believe he will drop a part out of nowhere sometime soon. He has to be sitting on a vault's worth of footage. Changing board sponsors would be good too. My question is, do "kids" today even really know who PJ is? I looked at the Plan B site the other day and I had a hard time even finding a board in their online shop with his name on it.

EDIT: Looked again just now and there isn't a single board in Plan B's online store with PJ's name on it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 11:44:42 AM by heritage »

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2016, 11:47:30 AM »

You funny. Real funny.

Hypnotoad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2016, 12:50:25 PM »
There's also like 20 minutes of really good footage from the last few years on the last two pages here, so comparing him to drug addict shit piles who haven't done anything in a decade is fucking idiotic.

EDIT:

One week ago

four days ago
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 01:05:36 PM by Hypnotoad »

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2016, 03:14:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Jerome Rogers.

Gallant's part was the "one other good part" I'm guessin'.

;)

yep Gallant Part was dope thanks for the catch

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -299
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2016, 04:54:20 PM »
There's also like 20 minutes of really good footage from the last few years on the last two pages here, so comparing him to drug addict shit piles who haven't done anything in a decade is fucking idiotic.

EDIT:

One week ago

four days ago

20 minutes of really good park footage and webclips, your one week ago examples are Instagram clips for fucks sake. The same sort of footge that drug addict shit piles produce.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2016, 07:07:11 PM »

Even though it's skatepark footage this Manolos edit of all his older Berrics footage is one of my favorite clips ever.

The line with the fakie flip over the hip to tiny switch power slide to fakie flip fakie 5-O is still among the best things I've ever seen done on a skateboard.

wiggitywiggity

• Rep: 25
  • You Don't Gnome Me Man!
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2016, 12:55:49 PM »

EDIT:

One week ago

four days ago

I agree with the Pro-PJ for sure, but that bench line is spliced together, at least after the nollie cab flip. The colors are darker on the "Tigers" sign and the zoom looks off. Just my 2 cents.

Righteous Victim

• Rep: 110
  • Get yourself looked at.
    • Letterboxd avatar image
« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2016, 01:02:40 PM »
Expand Quote

EDIT:

One week ago

four days ago

[close]

I agree with the Pro-PJ for sure, but that bench line is spliced together, at least after the nollie cab flip. The colors are darker on the "Tigers" sign and the zoom looks off. Just my 2 cents.
It's spliced to show the different colorways.