Author Topic: BA x Reda For The World x Vice Media  (Read 72425 times)

shit_for_brains

Re: BA x Reda For The World x Vice Media
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2016, 10:03:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Let's not forget guys, this is not the first out skater. Just the first out skater to not get kicked off all his sponsors.
[close]
Yeah, Tim Von Werne tried it but the "industry" wasn't ready for it, we don't know that the community wasn't ready because they never gave it a shot. I wonder how Klein feels about this?

Jeremy Klein is a firm believer that sex should be between a man and a young Asian girl.

SodaJerk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2016, 10:06:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Let's not forget guys, this is not the first out skater. Just the first out skater to not get kicked off all his sponsors.
[close]
Yeah, Tim Von Werne tried it but the "industry" wasn't ready for it, we don't know that the community wasn't ready because they never gave it a shot. I wonder how Klein feels about this?
[close]

Jeremy Klein is a firm believer that sex should be between a man and a young Asian girl.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2016, 10:08:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Honorable mention to Jarret Berry, though I am not sure if he had the same experience of Von Werne (getting kicked off for coming out).

Switch front shuv photo.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2016, 10:11:30 AM »
when did the rumors start going around that he was gay? i remember hearing it when i was in high school, probably around 04 or 05.

im stoked for him though. i cant imagine what it must be like to not be able to be open about your sexuality for that long.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2016, 10:14:44 AM »
when did the rumors start going around that he was gay? i remember hearing it when i was in high school, probably around 04 or 05.

im stoked for him though. i cant imagine what it must be like to not be able to be open about your sexuality for that long.
I don't know when the rumours started getting around but I've heard he's long been "open" about it just not "out".

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 703
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2016, 10:16:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Honorable mention to Jarret Berry, though I am not sure if he had the same experience of Von Werne (getting kicked off for coming out).

Switch front shuv photo.

and Mike Sinclair with the bs ts. Glad for BA.

straight

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2016, 10:30:40 AM »

shark tits

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2016, 11:47:03 AM »
Don't know if he was out then but chip van ham been openly gay for a while.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2016, 11:55:07 AM »
this is real skateboard progression!

and in other news...the popularity of the "bundle of sticks" Koston deck has inspired Staba to rebrand it for Plunkett

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2016, 11:59:32 AM »
Can't wait to check this out. BA will always be one of my favorites. Also on the topic of Jarrett Berry go to 5:18 he had a small appearance in analog obsolete back in the day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca0ihj2-n1s

Grind King Rims

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2016, 12:13:24 PM »

and in other news...the popularity of the "bundle of sticks" Koston deck has inspired Staba to rebrand it for Plunkett

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKEoiTijECu/?taken-by=skatemental&hl=en

Good job they saved that gem.

Righteous Victim

• Rep: 110
  • Get yourself looked at.
    • Letterboxd avatar image
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2016, 12:29:39 PM »

McCly

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -12
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2016, 12:50:56 PM »

Which is fucking embarrassing. Fuck them all.

Good for BA. I've been sad about his 3D brand crashing while Alex Olson has been monetizing gay culture. Remember when Olson was on 3D? Imagine how awesome it could have been.

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2016, 01:51:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
klein is probably busy blocking BA on instagram, lol

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2016, 01:52:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Having Reda handle this all is definitely an interesting choice
[close]

maybe Reda has something to say too?
[close]

I really hope that's the case, because Reda's name is shoehorned into the title, and considering the subject matter and the fact that Reda is supposed to just be a photographer/filmer cum personality heh heh that's kind of weird.
[close]
Theres been a few times industry people have dropped a few names, besides BA i've heard Reda, Gino and Forrest mentioned.

Didn't read have a kid recently?

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2016, 02:00:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Having Reda handle this all is definitely an interesting choice
[close]

maybe Reda has something to say too?
[close]

I really hope that's the case, because Reda's name is shoehorned into the title, and considering the subject matter and the fact that Reda is supposed to just be a photographer/filmer cum personality heh heh that's kind of weird.
[close]
Theres been a few times industry people have dropped a few names, besides BA i've heard Reda, Gino and Forrest mentioned.
[close]

Didn't read have a kid recently?

Today just keeps getting better

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2016, 02:16:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
klein is probably busy blocking BA on instagram, lol

Danny Way never saw the post because his phone was bricked

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2016, 02:34:16 PM »
Can't wait to check this out. BA will always be one of my favorites. Also on the topic of Jarrett Berry go to 5:18 he had a small appearance in analog obsolete back in the day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca0ihj2-n1s
He also had the curtains in the Chicago classic "Cold Broke" that was made by local company tough guy skateboards, which was the predecessor to Affiliate skateboards. He was grinding 16 stair rails in the mid 90's. Rumor has it that he did it naked one time, though it never made it into any video I saw.
Jarret was (and probably still is) the shit. Just from my experience seeing him, he was not only a great skateboarder, but a badass in general. People said big brother was making fun of him, but if you knew him, you'd know that he was actually the one mocking homophobia in skate culture. He had that Pansy Division punk thing going for sure. He was rad to everybody and ripped harder than anybody. I'm really glad he's getting his due credit.
He also had an uncredited nollie biggerspin heelflip over a pyramid hip in the credits of one of the later H-street videos.

Anyway, lets pay respect:
Jarret Berry - Timeline
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2016, 02:54:55 PM »
Jarret Berry was fucking awesome. His interview in Big Brother was great! He was loud, proud, unashamed, and fucking badass. I wish he got more coverage! Frontside nosegrind a rail in assless chaps  8)

Mad Max

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2016, 03:01:07 PM »
I heard Gino's gay I couldn't care less.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2016, 03:03:37 PM »
Only reason I didn't mention Jarret earlier was that Tim VW was the one almost erased from the history books where as Jarret's Big Brother interview solidified him there.

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 92
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2016, 03:34:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
He also had the curtains in the Chicago classic "Cold Broke" that was made by local company tough guy skateboards, which was the predecessor to Affiliate skateboards. He was grinding 16 stair rails in the mid 90's. Rumor has it that he did it naked one time, though it never made it into any video I saw.
Jarret was (and probably still is) the shit. Just from my experience seeing him, he was not only a great skateboarder, but a badass in general. People said big brother was making fun of him, but if you knew him, you'd know that he was actually the one mocking homophobia in skate culture. He had that Pansy Division punk thing going for sure. He was rad to everybody and ripped harder than anybody. I'm really glad he's getting his due credit.
He also had an uncredited nollie biggerspin heelflip over a pyramid hip in the credits of one of the later H-street videos.

Anyway, lets pay respect:
Jarret Berry - Timeline

Was he pro?

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2016, 04:00:04 PM »
There's been openly gay female skaters for year, but they don't count right?
you never know about pre-cum 

straight

« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2016, 04:05:16 PM »
now that tays gone, i feel it's ok to say no they don't count. just cuz that girl that tries to look like dylan has a nice nollie inward doesn't mean she deserves to be in the same category as mawfugin BA

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2016, 04:08:04 PM »
There's been openly gay female skaters for year, but they don't count right?

It's a weird double standard across male/female sports - and I'm sure it deals with straight men comfort levels around them.  Part of these coming out celebrations are involve an element of celebrating how cool we are with the gay people, etc now.  

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3312
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2016, 05:30:17 PM »
If BA is coming out, I'm stoked for him. You'd have to have some serious self-issues to hate on the guy...or anybody who's gay, for that matter.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2016, 05:39:03 PM »
If BA is coming out, I'm stoked for him. You'd have to have some serious self-issues to hate on the guy...or anybody who's gay, for that matter.
people aren't on slap hating on BA and gays, no one gives a shit. you live in the most tolerant country on earth, try this little blurb in the middle east (please don't)

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2016, 06:02:34 PM »
http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2014/06/17/an-interview-with-skateboardings-gayest-photographer-sam-mcguire/

I remember Jerry responding to Sam McGuire and feeling I'd say the same thing:

...Everyone else was cool about it too. He was yelling, ?Let?s turn this into your coming out party!? and just went around to everybody and was like, ?Did you know Sam?s gay?!? He?s going over to people like Jerry Hsu, ?Did you know Sam?s gay?? And Jerry would be like, ?No, whoa! Crazy! That?s cool.? High five...

also, I earched and was this the interviwe? it wa pretty short.

also, the cover of the gayest issue...

what else did that issue consist of? 'other fruits and faeiries' .?

Righteous Victim

• Rep: 110
  • Get yourself looked at.
    • Letterboxd avatar image
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2016, 06:52:24 PM »
No joke: I thought Jerry was serious when he came out on weekend buzz.

yapple dapple

• Rep: 155
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2016, 07:30:38 PM »
Who is that bear to the right? Is that his BF? If so we have the same type.. ;D Cheers for BA!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKtWMzogqe6/?taken-by=nolimitsoldier

side note: I still get hated on in the so called progressive bay area by skaters for being gay. I came out when I was 20..
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 07:32:30 PM by yapple dapple »